You are Here:
[ISO] Theory11 Eleven Madison Park Monarchs

Author (Read 15957 times)

[ISO] Theory11 Eleven Madison Park Monarchs
« on: January 23, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »

MrSlaybury

Hi guys!  Accidentally put this in the wrong area so reposting :)

The elusive EMP Monarchs...sigh...

I’m trying to help a new friend locate one, and seeing as I’ve gotten some awesome help here in the past, I wanted to see if anyone can help me/him.  It looks like he will soon have every Monarch besides the EMP deck!  I’m not including the Uber rare first printing that was ultimately destroyed, save for 144 decks.  That one is the Unicorn lol.

So, if anyone has a lead, please feel free to email me so I can pass this info along to him.  I’ll prolly never have the money for the complete set, so I feel honored I at least get to enjoy some of the hunt :)

Thanks so much guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: [ISO] Theory11 Eleven Madison Park Monarchs
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 03:06:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I’m trying to help a new friend locate one, and seeing as I’ve gotten some awesome help here in the past, I wanted to see if anyone can help me/him.  It looks like he will soon have every Monarch besides the EMP deck!  I’m not including the Uber rare first printing that was ultimately destroyed, save for 144 decks.  That one is the Unicorn lol.

So, if anyone has a lead, please feel free to email me so I can pass this info along to him.  I’ll prolly never have the money for the complete set, so I feel honored I at least get to enjoy some of the hunt :)

Thanks so much guys!

I'm not familiar with EMP Monarchs.  I've heard of, in no particular order...

The original 144-deck black/gold ink release (your "unicorn")
The first full release, dark navy/white
The follow-up printing of same with thinner border
Red
Silver
Gold
Green
White
Now You See Me, as featured in the movie
And a super-tiny number of NYSM decks autographed by the cast.

What are EMP Monarchs?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 03:48:53 AM »

MrSlaybury

Thanks so much guys!

Red
Silver
Gold
Green
White

What are EMP Monarchs?

Hi Don.  Pretty much have everything except for the White Gold and V1 Reds.  The White Gold they consider a quasi V2 of the White, and the V1 used a lighter red color on the tuck.  It seems like everyone is considering the Box Set of Blues as well.

There were decks printed for a high end restaurant, Eleven Madison Park.  It’s basically the Silvers, but the tuck has the restaurants name and logo, and the faces have illustrations of various ingredients.  The restaurant incorporated the deck into their menu a few years ago.  There was a card trick involved in the dessert course, and the guest got the deck as a souvenir.

It seems like there is some connection between Theory11 and the restaurants owner(s), and they both share the same PR company (I’m pretty sure it’s PR but don’t quote me on that lol). 

https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/the-complete-monarch-collection.53458/  Someone recently found and purchased one last month; you can see the pics there.  It’s kind of a Unicorn as well, but there’s some out there for sure.  T11’s VP of operations is putting together a fact sheet about all the Monarchs over on their forum.  The whole set together is my dream set!  So gorgeous!

Thanks so much for the reply!

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 04:07:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks so much guys!

Red
Silver
Gold
Green
White

What are EMP Monarchs?

Hi Don.  Pretty much have everything except for the White Gold and V1 Reds.  The White Gold they consider a quasi V2 of the White, and the V1 used a lighter red color on the tuck.  It seems like everyone is considering the Box Set of Blues as well.

There were decks printed for a high end restaurant, Eleven Madison Park.  It’s basically the Silvers, but the tuck has the restaurants name and logo, and the faces have illustrations of various ingredients.  The restaurant incorporated the deck into their menu a few years ago.  There was a card trick involved in the dessert course, and the guest got the deck as a souvenir.

It seems like there is some connection between Theory11 and the restaurants owner(s), and they both share the same PR company (I’m pretty sure it’s PR but don’t quote me on that lol). 

https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/the-complete-monarch-collection.53458/  Someone recently found and purchased one last month; you can see the pics there.  It’s kind of a Unicorn as well, but there’s some out there for sure.  T11’s VP of operations is putting together a fact sheet about all the Monarchs over on their forum.  The whole set together is my dream set!  So gorgeous!

Have you tried inquiring at the restaurant?  ;)  While I doubt they'd simply give them away, perhaps you could come to some kind of arrangement.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 03:39:11 PM »

MrSlaybury

Thanks so much guys!

Red
Silver
Gold
Green
White

What are EMP Monarchs?

Have you tried inquiring at the restaurant?  ;)  While I doubt they'd simply give them away, perhaps you could come to some kind of arrangement.
Lol, it’s funny you say that!  I tried emailing them.  The email went to a women who said she represents both the restaurant AND Theory11.  I assumed because she’s receiving inquiry emails, she’s some sort of PR person.  She said she would pass my inquiry along.  Originally, before I knew how crazy collectible this deck is, I wanted to try and get one for my GF.  One thing we have in common is cards!  She plays solitaire fairly religiously, and her favorite deck is the Monarch deck.  Our anniversary is 11/11, so I thought it would be so cool to get her that deck for our anniversary!

This was also before I knew that each card face has a different ingredient, and wouldn’t work well for solitaire anyway lol.  There’s one on eBay right now, however!

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 07:50:45 AM »

lovenugget2003

I'm also want to get one EMP Monarchs and 144 limited Blue Gold Monarchs to be come a full set.

Good Luck

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »

MrSlaybury

I'm also want to get one EMP Monarchs and 144 limited Blue Gold Monarchs to be come a full set.

Good Luck
Thanks!  The person I was helping find a deck actually found an open deck for sale!  A new deck also sold last month for $360 iirc.  Those Blue Gold Monarchs are a tricky one.  If you ever find one sealed, I would be very cautious.  There is no way whatsoever to tell the difference between the 144 OG Monarchs and regular Blue Monarchs.  Still, an open deck of those are still the freaking T11 Unicorn. Lol

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 06:23:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Good Luck
Thanks!  The person I was helping find a deck actually found an open deck for sale!  A new deck also sold last month for $360 iirc.  Those Blue Gold Monarchs are a tricky one.  If you ever find one sealed, I would be very cautious.  There is no way whatsoever to tell the difference between the 144 OG Monarchs and regular Blue Monarchs.  Still, an open deck of those are still the freaking T11 Unicorn. Lol

Actually, I was told there's exactly one way to tell the difference between the rare 144 Monarchs and the original wide-release Monarchs.  I was told that the cellophane is reversed on the 144, so the tear strip goes in the other direction from standard - but don't quote me on that, because I've never actually seen a pack personally to know for certain.

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 12:25:00 PM »

MrSlaybury

Good Luck

Actually, I was told there's exactly one way to tell the difference between the rare 144 Monarchs and the original wide-release Monarchs.  I was told that the cellophane is reversed on the 144, so the tear strip goes in the other direction from standard - but don't quote me on that, because I've never actually seen a pack personally to know for certain.

That’s really interesting!  It could be true, but like you said we’ve never fondled them so we wouldn’t know lol.  One of T11’s execs handles comms on their forums, and he’s said a few times there’s no way to tell them apart.  But I feel like true card nerds like us could find a difference, and that’s exactly what your info is.  I wish we could know!!!

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 12:25:01 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Monarchs 4 Life
“de duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum"
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 07:44:56 AM by jmrock »

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2019, 06:14:03 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Monarchs 4 Life
“de duobus malis, minus est semper eligendum"

Now there's a login I haven't seen in some time!  How've you been?  What's kept you away all this time?

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2019, 03:12:00 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

Good Luck

That’s really interesting!  It could be true, but like you said we’ve never fondled them so we wouldn’t know lol.  One of T11’s execs handles comms on their forums, and he’s said a few times there’s no way to tell them apart.  But I feel like true card nerds like us could find a difference, and that’s exactly what your info is.  I wish we could know!!!

Back in the day I was fortunate enough to snag 3 of the original 111 that went on pre-sale. I only have one now (the older me regrets selling the other two), but have attached some photos to look at if you are interested. I have not spent a lot of time in the card collecting community over the past while so I am unsure of what (if any) differences they may be on the package. Granted you'll have to take my word for it but I have also included my order record from T11 on pre-release day (minus editing out my home address). If there is a better angle I can take, just let me know and I will try to do that ASAP.

Cheers,
Curt
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 03:34:00 PM by Curt »

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2019, 05:35:16 PM »

MrSlaybury

Good Luck

Back in the day I was fortunate enough to snag 3 of the original 111 that went on pre-sale. I only have one now (the older me regrets selling the other two), but have attached some photos to look at if you are interested. I have not spent a lot of time in the card collecting community over the past while so I am unsure of what (if any) differences they may be on the package. Granted you'll have to take my word for it but I have also included my order record from T11 on pre-release day (minus editing out my home address). If there is a better angle I can take, just let me know and I will try to do that ASAP.

Cheers,
Curt

Wow, absolutely incredible for you to share; thank you.  I went to your tumblr and saw the post from 2012, too.  What a gem!  There was someone on here (can’t tell if it’s in this thread or a DM) trying to scam me, like that would ever be a possibility lol.  What I’ve learned on Theory11’s forum directly from them, is the tuck is absolutely identical, and there is zero ways to tell the difference between the OGs and the “V2’s”.

I wonder if there’s some “X-ray” technology that could pick up the differences somehow! Lol!  Everyone would love to see pictures on r/playingcards too.  They’re unicorns!  Thanks again!

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2019, 06:09:15 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
No problem!

I did not know that subreddit existed! Very cool! I will make sure to post a few things there when I get the chance!

Curt

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2019, 02:40:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Good Luck

Cheers,
Curt

Now someone tell me if I'm wrong, but on that photo, when looking at the box from the front, the tear strip is on the right side of the box.  For ordinary Monarchs, as is the case with nearly every USPC-made and -sealed deck, I'm pretty sure that the tear strip would appear on the LEFT side of the box when looking at the front of the box.

So maybe they cellophane is the way to know.

There's a caveat in there, though.  It's not impossible to remove a deck from the cellophane, alter the contents (say, if you were a magician wanting to plant something in there, etc.) and then RESEAL the cellophane, making it look almost as good as new and certainly well enough to leave the tear strip intact.  If someone can do that, they could make a "fake" Gold Monarch deck out of an ordinary pack, assuming they use a pack that was old enough to look like they did back in 2011.  While they're very, very similar today, I'd bet with some scrutiny you'd be able to spot at least some differences between a 2011 Monarch tuck box and a 2019 tuck box - the copyright info if nothing else.

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2020, 10:05:20 AM »

MrSlaybury

Good Luck

Cheers,
Curt

Now someone tell me if I'm wrong, but on that photo, when looking at the box from the front, the tear strip is on the right side of the box.  For ordinary Monarchs, as is the case with nearly every USPC-made and -sealed deck, I'm pretty sure that the tear strip would appear on the LEFT side of the box when looking at the front of the box.

So maybe they cellophane is the way to know.

There's a caveat in there, though.  It's not impossible to remove a deck from the cellophane, alter the contents (say, if you were a magician wanting to plant something in there, etc.) and then RESEAL the cellophane, making it look almost as good as new and certainly well enough to leave the tear strip intact.  If someone can do that, they could make a "fake" Gold Monarch deck out of an ordinary pack, assuming they use a pack that was old enough to look like they did back in 2011.  While they're very, very similar today, I'd bet with some scrutiny you'd be able to spot at least some differences between a 2011 Monarch tuck box and a 2019 tuck box - the copyright info if nothing else.

I wish I had some sealed Monarchs to check!  I think you may be on to something here, Don.  I’m curious enough to ask Lyle over on T11’s forum.  They’ve made a great push on sharing as much as they can about little details for us card nerds :) lol!