Love Me deck from Theory11
« on: January 27, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
So, I found the link to these a bit early...

Love Me deck from Theory11
--------------
Release Date: January 28th, at 11am EST
Where: www.theory11.com

"Playing cards hand illustrated by artist Curtis Kulig. Inspired by his iconic campaign in New York, Paris, Tokyo, and Los Angeles.
Curtis Kulig's signature statement 'Love Me' can be seen in galleries and rooftops around the world, as well as collaborations with major brands including OBEY, Vans, and Urban Outfitters. The message is timeless and universal.
Love Me Playing Cards are Made in the USA on FSC-certified paper derived from sustainable forests using vegetable-based inks.
The cards feature an original Ace of Spades, Joker, Back Design, Box Design, Sticker Seal, and Ace of Hearts - renamed the Ace of Love. The box is striking, with vibrant red foil accents on premium, fine-linen paper.
Share the art you love with the one you love. The PERFECT Valentine's Day gift. In stock now for immediate shipping worldwide.
A limited edition of 100 uncut sheets are also available. These WILL sell out quickly, so if you want one, act quickly. They're an amazing, rare display of Kulig's signature campaign.
Produced and Distributed by theory11. Arrangement by Michael James and Jonathan Bayme. Love Me™ Artwork © 2005. Love Me™ is a Registered Trademark of Curtis Kulig" - Theory11

Re: Love Me deck from Theory11
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:49:02 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
 :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: really this deck suck IMO. I am going to assume the back is one way. Can anyone confirm that yes or no? As far as the aces they look like some just took a few minutes to do. I see no creativity in this deck and I hate it. I will not buy it.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:10:37 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
:mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck: really this deck suck IMO. I am going to assume the back is one way. Can anyone confirm that yes or no? As far as the aces they look like some just took a few minutes to do. I see no creativity in this deck and I hate it. I will not buy it.

It doesn't seem to be a one way back but hey, subtlety is key right? And I might have to agree. The aces aren't necessarily bad. But having only two customized is a downer because the design does look so simple. Seeing as the courts and pips won't be customized either, this deck seems to be too simple and not creative enough for my taste. How unfortunate.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 02:48:13 PM »

DrianAbara

• Forum Regular
Looks like some scruff someone made just so they could make money out of something. Considering buying it for my girlfriend though, just for sentiment's sake.
Love is magic

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:53:20 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
quick cash in for valentines day

this deck looks terrible

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 03:03:28 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I actually like the deck and the design. theory11 saw a major, uprising symbol in pop culture, and, doing what they always do, did something about it. For me, this deck, this entire campaign, stands for more than just it's literal meaning. Although i couldn't find the message Curtis displayed via a quick 5 minute Google search, I know he had a deep message the wanted to tell.

Just in time for Valentine's day, although some may think this deck took was only made in a matter to minutes, I think something stands out about this deck. For some reason, it reaches out to me, and I have this attraction to a deck. I guess there are just butterflies in my stomach. Anyway, I'll tune in on the 28th at theory11 for more insight.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 03:15:54 PM »

Pacis

• Forum Regular
One thing I can tell. Many will buy it as a gift or for collection purposes.
I guess I would buy it for my girl.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 04:34:47 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Decks will start at $6.95
Uncut Sheet will be $29.95

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 05:37:12 PM »

Joshua Robinson

• Former Moderator
  • Extraordinaire
  • grow. create. live.

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:

• YouTube:
I too actually like the design of this deck, looks nice and simple compared to eveery other deck T11 has brought out recently. I may possibly buy it
I am now a Business Representative for www.shuffleanddeal.com.au

Youtube channel for Shuffle and Deal: http://www.youtube.com/user/ShuffleAndDealAus?feature=mhee

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I am a bit impartial to the design but I won't buy the deck just because it seems like it was a easy way for T11 to sell another deck without putting much effort into the design process, since it already was partially finished. Also, if I was giving this as a valentines gift, I feel that the phrase "love me" is pretty need and almost begging, unless the person receiving the gift new about the artist already.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 07:56:45 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I am a bit impartial to the design but I won't buy the deck just because it seems like it was a easy way for T11 to sell another deck without putting much effort into the design process, since it already was partially finished. Also, if I was giving this as a valentines gift, I feel that the phrase "love me" is pretty need and almost begging, unless the person receiving the gift new about the artist already.
I'm pretty sure many people will know who Curtis is, considering his "Love Me" tagline has been endorsed by Nike, Vans, as well as being displayed in bathroom stalls and brick walls in NYC.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »

thanamagic

• MW

• YouTube:
Getting it for my girl, just in time befor valentine ^^. 

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23:03 PM »

Angel_magic

• Forum Regular
I'm pretty sure many people will know who Curtis is, considering his "Love Me" tagline has been endorsed by Nike, Vans, as well as being displayed in bathroom stalls and brick walls in NYC.

I've never heard of him :/ and I'm a 19 year old college student with a closet full of nike apparel, so I wouldn't say it's because I'm out of the loop.

Anyways this deck reminds me of IAOCP. I actually really like the back design but it would have been nice if they customized the rest of the deck. The clean and definite nature of standard pips and court cards doesn't really fit with the hand-drawn, indefinite theme of this deck.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:23:44 PM by Angel_magic »
Check out my thread with a BUNCH of rare decks and accessories for sale!
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=11812.0

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
I actually really like it, as will my gf too.   I think it would be neat to incorporate this deck when doing certain tricks for couples as it would have a little bit more meaning  and a moment they would remember forever.   I'm starting to brainstorm as we speak.   I could definitely see me getting a brick of these.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 09:34:13 PM by Knobz1 »
- Adam

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 09:43:53 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I mean I can definitely see the applications with it that will be appreciated by our love interests. But the tough thing for me to get over is that if this is supposed to be a "love themed" deck, more than just the two aces, jokers, and backs need to be customized. Like even finishing off the other two aces would be close to good enough for me.

The standard customization of aces, jokers, and backs are good for flourishing and magic because the focus is on what is being done with the cards and the customization makes it more memorable or flashier. If the focus is on the design of the cards then more should be customized. As Angel_magic said, the deck isn't quite cohesive if parts are standard and parts are going for the hand drawn look.

Oh well! Deck is going to be released whether I like it or not haha I'll just have to pass on it.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 09:59:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Guys, this deck is perfect for romantic magic routines.  I'm guessing you collectively aren't into that sort of thing.  I could imagine Zenneth Kok having a blast with this deck, ESPECIALLY because it's not over the top on the customization.  It's not great for poker, but this isn't a deck meant for poker, is it?

A deck doesn't require a full-custom makeover to be a good deck.  It's artistic, tasteful and very appropriate for the upcoming holiday.  It's on my buy list.

And yes, the back does appear to be a two-way design.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 10:02:40 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Me personally, I don't view this deck as a collectors deck.   I see this deck as a gift to give to a loved one, or a tool for magicians to use for those special moments.   This deck is coming out for Valentines Day which millions of people and couples celebrate together.   I think there is more meaning behind this deck than what people are realizing.   Look at Charity Water, Animal Kingdom, Wounded Warrior Deck, Breast Cancer Deck, etc...    They are so much more than just a deck of cards.   Just consider the deck with an open mind is all.
- Adam

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 10:26:26 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I've never heard of him :/ and I'm a 19 year old college student with a closet full of nike apparel, so I wouldn't say it's because I'm out of the loop.
Well, you've might have seen his design at a store, but never noticed it. Nike's just one of his endorsers. I believe he's best known for his collaboration with either Vans or Smashbox.

P.S. - If you have 15 minutes to spare (I know you will Don!), I highly encourage you to watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=plRjge_3tME). Curtis explains his campaign, inspirations, and ambitions.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 11:17:27 AM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Just bought a brick of these as well as Lalita's DIY Rose From Cards download from the wire.   I'm gonna make a dozen roses out of the Love Me deck and put them in a vase and make it look really nice for my girlfriend for Valentines Day.   By giving a gift that is homemade vs store boughten I think shows a little more thoughtfulness and effort.   Plus I'm putting a little bit of myself in this gift when I give it to her.   Cant wait for these decks to arrive so I can start making this for her!
- Adam

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
I will say there are some elements in this deck that I like. The pure text back is pretty cool in the sense that it looks haphazard and maintains a two way back at the same time. The borderless design helps too. But the design of the ace of spades/hearts is terrible. I don't like that sketched out heart design. It looks tacky. Not to mention I have an inherent problem with Valentine's day. I see no need to but stuff from the companies that created a day just so we have to buy stuff from them. I think that the commercial "love" theme of the deck and the tackiness of both the hearts and lettering completely overshadow and crush any good elements that once were.

EDIT: Just noticed. "Ace of love"? Really?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:13:15 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Just bought a brick of these as well as Lalita's DIY Rose From Cards download from the wire.   I'm gonna make a dozen roses out of the Love Me deck and put them in a vase and make it look really nice for my girlfriend for Valentines Day.   By giving a gift that is homemade vs store boughten I think shows a little more thoughtfulness and effort.   Plus I'm putting a little bit of myself in this gift when I give it to her.   Cant wait for these decks to arrive so I can start making this for her!

Why hello Adam Knoblich :P.

Personally i think the idea is cool idea but its missing the wow factor for me.
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 08:11:05 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty
Why hello there john.   I take it you seen my review at theory 11?   Maybe I should make a dozen roses for you too and then you can tell me if that wows you. lol
- Adam

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 08:37:52 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
Why hello there john.   I take it you seen my review at theory 11?   Maybe I should make a dozen roses for you too and then you can tell me if that wows you. lol

I didn't mean your idea! I absolutely love it, infact if my girlfriend didn't despise all things playing cards i would do it myself. I mean't the deck was lacking :P

I still want roses though...
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 08:53:27 PM »

Knobz1

• Discourse Royalty

I didn't mean your idea! I absolutely love it, infact if my girlfriend didn't despise all things playing cards i would do it myself. I mean't the deck was lacking :P

Ahhh, I gotcha man.   Thanks I appreciate it.   I'm sure my gf will be pretty amazed with it.   I can understand your opinion as well as many other about the deck lacking in certain areas.   Yeah, I agree, it would have been nice to see maybe a little bit more added to it.   But in the end, I enjoy the box, the seal, the back design and how it will work well for Valentines day.   That's kind of a bummer your gf despises all things playing cards.   Maybe you should make roses out of a different deck and give them to her for Valentines day.   Then maybe she will like playing cards just a teeny tiny bit!    ;)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 08:54:36 PM by Knobz1 »
- Adam

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 09:06:13 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer

Ahhh, I gotcha man.   Thanks I appreciate it.   I'm sure my gf will be pretty amazed with it.   I can understand your opinion as well as many other about the deck lacking in certain areas.   Yeah, I agree, it would have been nice to see maybe a little bit more added to it.   But in the end, I enjoy the box, the seal, the back design and how it will work well for Valentines day.   That's kind of a bummer your gf despises all things playing cards.   Maybe you should make roses out of a different deck and give them to her for Valentines day.   Then maybe she will like playing cards just a teeny tiny bit!    ;)

Well maybe not ALL things playing cards, just some things :P

Seriously though... since you offered i want roses from you...