NEW DECK- Floral Deck from Aloys

Author (Read 12671 times)

Re: NEW DECK- Floral Deck from Aloys
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have to agree with Michael. Rarity does make me try a bit harder to get a deck, provided that I like the deck though. I have quite a number of the rare editions of the Aurum series. It's a beautiful deck in general, but I especially love the rare editions. Granted, that's a bit different (limited white numbered edition, laser cut edition, Lucite edition) since Encarded's rare editions are different than the original other than color. I like the black Florals (like the Red as well), it's just icing on the cake about the "rarity". It's like buying a limited edition art print, it has an exclusivity factor and when you decide to sell it (if you do), there's a good chance that someone else is looking for that same exclusivity. Old decks sell for much more than they originally did (even after the price is adjusted for modern dollars/inflation) due simply to rarity, and supply/demand. I like Artisans, Monarchs, Split Spades, and others and have a lot of them even though they are open editions. If I'm not a fan of the design, rarity is irrelevant since I'm not buying with the intent to resell for a profit. It's simply a matter of preference, but the fact that a lot of the "rarer" editions sell out quickly shows that at least some others have the same mentality.

I'll be online to get my black Florals because I like them, and also because there aren't 25,000 of them floating around. As always, buy what makes you happy! :-)

Your comparison with old decks leaves out an important detail - most of them were never made rare in the first place.  They were printed in the tens or hundreds of thousands.  They became rare because they're ephemera - they were never meant to last in the first place, and true to form, they didn't other than a few rare examples.

Making something brand new rare is artificial inflation of its rarity.  Sure, it's "rare", but when everything becomes "rare", is anything really rare anymore?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2013, 09:11:28 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Don, that's a good point, and that's precisely why I don't just buy decks because of "rarity", whether real, or perceived. If I am 50/50 on whether or not I'm going to buy a deck, and it's a fairly rare release, that *may* be the tipping point for me. The deck has to appeal to me though. I could certainly obtain many *rare* decks out there now, but I don't because I don't like them. The old decks were printed by the thousands, or tens of thousands, and are "rare" just because there weren't many saved. Ok, If there are 2500 of a modern deck, and most are used by magicians, cardists, or poker players, doesn't that equate to the same thing? Thousands were printed but the deck is a bit more scarce because few are left in their unopened state. As time goes by, more will be sold/opened/damaged/lost/et cetera, making this modern release rare as well. It's just a modern era deck versus an older deck. That gives you the ability to collect the more scarce antique decks, and lets me collect the more scarce modern decks, which are the antique decks of the future. As I have stated, I don't just buy a deck because it's rare, or scarce, but if a deck that I like is one of those, it's a bonus, and may very well contribute to the overall valuation of the deck if I ever want to sell it in the future. To each his, or her, own.

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2013, 01:46:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Don, that's a good point, and that's precisely why I don't just buy decks because of "rarity", whether real, or perceived. If I am 50/50 on whether or not I'm going to buy a deck, and it's a fairly rare release, that *may* be the tipping point for me. The deck has to appeal to me though. I could certainly obtain many *rare* decks out there now, but I don't because I don't like them. The old decks were printed by the thousands, or tens of thousands, and are "rare" just because there weren't many saved. Ok, If there are 2500 of a modern deck, and most are used by magicians, cardists, or poker players, doesn't that equate to the same thing? Thousands were printed but the deck is a bit more scarce because few are left in their unopened state. As time goes by, more will be sold/opened/damaged/lost/et cetera, making this modern release rare as well. It's just a modern era deck versus an older deck. That gives you the ability to collect the more scarce antique decks, and lets me collect the more scarce modern decks, which are the antique decks of the future. As I have stated, I don't just buy a deck because it's rare, or scarce, but if a deck that I like is one of those, it's a bonus, and may very well contribute to the overall valuation of the deck if I ever want to sell it in the future. To each his, or her, own.

There's something to consider here - the intent of the creator when the deck was made.  USPC sells Bicycle Rider Backs practically as a commodity; plentiful and cheap, easily obtained.  One of these "2500 made" decks is a different story - even at the MSRP many are as expensive as 5 to 10 packs of Rider Backs, never mind the aftermarket value.  It's reaching the point where the deck is not really being sold as a deck so much as it is a fetish object - designed to be rare and expensive before the ink's even had a chance to dry on the deck sheet...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2013, 10:35:32 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Don, you are exactly right. So many scream "RARE, RARE, RARE" that "rare" has almost lost its true meaning. I used to factor rarity more into my "should I buy it" equation. Now, it's almost as much of a given to have "RARE" attached to the description of a deck as the word Bicycle.

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2013, 09:55:52 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
More info:

Black Floral Deck NEWS!

We will release all Black FLORAL decks at 8:00pm (EST) on Friday in this week, with a total of 380 decks.
Thank you for your support of Aloys Store. Please pay attention to our website changes.
The official selling price is 12.95USD,buy 12 or more you will get 10% discount.
I will hold the competition again on facebook. I hope you can win our prize - -Black Floral Collector Box.  Wish you lucky!
As long as they are sold out, they will never appear in our store.
Please seize the opportunity .

Thank you for your subscription Aloys news.
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/#!/bluetune.aloys
websit:http://www.aloysstudio.com/

« Reply #80 on: April 23, 2013, 03:43:23 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
For those that may be interested in shipping times, I received my tracking number on 4/20. Acceptance in Shanghai, China.