Post-Edwardian Period Double or Duel Deck Idea

Author (Read 562 times)

Post-Edwardian Period Double or Duel Deck Idea
« on: July 15, 2013, 01:21:35 AM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
So I am not a designer but I got thinking of an idea that would make for interesting double deck....

The idea is based on the Edwardian and Post-Edwardian Period or the early 1900's to around 1918 in the UK. If you are unfamiliar with this period think of the TV show Downton Abbey or an earlier series Upstairs, Downstairs in the 70's. One might even think of the Titanic.

Some may guess where I am going with this.... One deck would focus on the upstairs of the house featuring the lords, masters, aristocrats etc...and another deck would focus on the downstairs of the house featuring the Butlers, housemaids, footman, cooks, valet etc...

Anyway if you know the history of this period, I think it can make for some interesting artwork on two decks especially the contrast from downstairs to upstairs.

If anyone wants to take this idea and run with it be my guest. I'd love to see something like this get produced but I don't have the funds or the design skills to do it myself. It would probably be picked up by a lot of sites considering the craze with Downton Abbey these days. If you decide to do it let me know and I can assist with writing about it, marketing and bringing this thing to the people. 

here are some images of downton abbey to give people the idea....

Re: Post-Edwardian Period Double or Duel Deck Idea
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:26:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
When you have an idea like this, you need not be a designer or an artist.  You just need to find one that's willing to work with you.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 02:22:03 AM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I have been burned a few times by designers I hired or started to work with. Just two weeks ago a designer promised to work on stuff WITH me and now he seems to have lost interest. It is a hassle trying to get someone to be as passionate about something as much as you are. That is my experience anyway.

My idea with posting this was to let artists decide for themselves if they truly want to do this and if so to contact me bc I think I can be a big asset in bringing it to market. If they don't contact me and just take the idea, I wish them luck but if it sucks I may just pursue making a better one with my exact idea in mind lol. It just might take a bit to find an artist who will team up with me for the long haul of a deck project.   

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 08:41:44 AM »

Alex Willis

• Discourse Royalty
  • A penny saved is worthless

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
It would make a great deck set.  I have far too many projects at the moment, but if no one picks this up I can put it on my project consideration list.  The only thing that would derail it is if the folks at Dr. Who? give me permission to work on a project for them. 

The obvious questions:  Since you can't base the cards on the TV series, do you create fictional characters and stories behind each one?  or do you base it loosely on actual aristocrats and their servants of the period?  Obviously you'd have to make sure you didn't make Characters too close to the Downtown Abbey figures.

The deck could be called "Upstairs" and the other "Downstairs", not to be confused with the old TV series "Up the Downstairs Case" and definitely not to be confused with "Apples and Pears" (for my mates in London)
Alex Willis
Game Designer

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:19:05 AM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
I sent you a private message.