Author (Read 3454 times)

How to properly use v2.0.1 Public Beta
« on: March 08, 2012, 08:41:39 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
So by now you may have noticed that the skins have changed and everyone can use the sleeker, sexier and more streamlined v2. However, there are a few issues you should still know:

1. It's highly glitchy and uncompleted, therefore you are bound to encounter problems during certain tasks.
2. The layout is completely different, and designed to harbor a larger and stronger community.
3. It kills your ability to view the board on many mobile devices or with very slow Internet connections.

As a result of these things, some of you have been upset by the changes. The solutions are incredibly simple. If you go to modify your profile, you can switch to the old v1.5 by clicking on the Look & Layout tab. You can also switch to even more simplistic skins that work wonders for mobile phones or slow connections.

You can switch back at any time.

As time goes on, v2.0.1 will progress and change based on public demand and my own personal desires, similarly to how v0.0.1 became v1.5.0 over the span of a few months.

Fame
Fame is still in Beta, which means the values you see are not indicative of your true Fame. At this time, I ask that Fame Trolling is stopped and for you guys to experiment with the numbers by upvoting/downvoting posts based on your true feelings. Feel free to vote on every post, just make sure it is indicative of what you really think.

Badges
Badges are about 90% completed, with a few still not being fully functional. At this time there is no option to hide the badges, but for now if you absolutely hate them you may revert to v1.5.0 or to any other skin on our database.

That's about it, enjoy!
Forum Founder.

Re: How to properly use v2.0.1 Public Beta
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
So will everyone be put to 0 fame eventually or is it just going to go with what it is at now? I was fame trolling earlier before I saw this, Sorry :-[ .
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 08:50:55 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I haven't encountered glitches. And I can access the site fine on my smartphone.
By the way, I love v2 so much more than V1.5

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
One thing I noticed:
I have been a member here for 84 days.
During that time:
Upvotes
My posts have been upfamed times.
Downvotes
My posts have been downfamed 322 times.
As you can see, there is no number for the number of times my posts have been upfamed, which looks pretty silly. ::)
Also, not sure if it's voluntary, but under "new messages" and "new replies" in the top bar, I see "dasdsaas" and "dasds" respectively.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 09:17:55 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
One thing I noticed:
I have been a member here for 84 days.
During that time:
Upvotes
My posts have been upfamed times.
Downvotes
My posts have been downfamed 322 times.
As you can see, there is no number for the number of times my posts have been upfamed, which looks pretty silly. ::)
Mine says that too! And mine says 322 times... I think everyones might say that.

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:12:04 AM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
I know I will get downfamed for this, but @Moon all of these issues were all ready mention in the Feedback and Support section. Here is a list of some issues I have experienced or seen myself:
- Can't click on the down or up fame buttons
- Can't see the number of times I've been upfamed
- Can't read messages, see fame notifications or new replies
- Some people have badges they shouldn't have (i.e. More than 250 fame badge for some with only 100 fame).
etc.
The list just goes on and on, but I know this will be eventually fixed.

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 12:22:16 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
If you've been reading the threads carefully, we've mentioned all of these already. They're known glitches in this new beta system. Let the mods have their time to work on it.

EDIT: Sorry, Nathan posted this before me. I left the window opened without refreshing before posting.

@Nathan, you've mentioned your experiences multiple times in other threads too. I don't think you need to emphasize it too much, I'm sure the mods are reading and know what needs to be worked on.

I've experience your problems at once, and it worked again after I logged out and back in again. Try that, maybe it'll work for you too.

As for the 250 Fame badge, there has been once or twice that in midnight (morning/afternoon in other time zones) where some members have been upfaming/downfaming constantly. Whether that's to get their 25x/125x upfame/downfame badge or not, it probably allowed some people to hit 250 fame. It's not hard because if yourself have high fame, every time you upfame/downfame someone the numbers goes up/down by more than 1 depending on the fame of the other person. Sometimes I could downfame someone by 5, but upfame someone else by only 2. If you're at negatives, it's very likely your votes do make a change, but maybe by 0.3, and thus not shown in a change of number.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:27:27 AM by xZEROx »

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 03:54:05 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If you've been reading the threads carefully, we've mentioned all of these already. They're known glitches in this new beta system. Let the mods have their time to work on it.

EDIT: Sorry, Nathan posted this before me. I left the window opened without refreshing before posting.

@Nathan, you've mentioned your experiences multiple times in other threads too. I don't think you need to emphasize it too much, I'm sure the mods are reading and know what needs to be worked on.

I've experience your problems at once, and it worked again after I logged out and back in again. Try that, maybe it'll work for you too.

As for the 250 Fame badge, there has been once or twice that in midnight (morning/afternoon in other time zones) where some members have been upfaming/downfaming constantly. Whether that's to get their 25x/125x upfame/downfame badge or not, it probably allowed some people to hit 250 fame. It's not hard because if yourself have high fame, every time you upfame/downfame someone the numbers goes up/down by more than 1 depending on the fame of the other person. Sometimes I could downfame someone by 5, but upfame someone else by only 2. If you're at negatives, it's very likely your votes do make a change, but maybe by 0.3, and thus not shown in a change of number.

Actually, I have the same issue, and it's not that fame is changed minimally, but that any attempt to up/downfame is not accepted by the system.  The up/downfame totals don't change and the button doesn't change color to indicate that it's been pressed.  I believe it has more to do with have a negative fame number - something that while Alex mentioned would be a part of the system, Peuan stated that I shouldn't have negative fame, as if to say negative fame is really a bug rather than a feature.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Have you tried logging out and back in? I encountered that problem once while not having negative fame and it worked fine for me.

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2012, 02:36:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Have you tried logging out and back in? I encountered that problem once while not having negative fame and it worked fine for me.

I've even logged in from different computers.  It's a persistent problem, at least for anyone with negative fame.  At one point, negative fame meant that when trying to downfame a post, the system upfamed it instead.  But now you can't do anything with it.

Let's face it, gang - while everyone has access to the beta, it's still just that: a beta, still being tested, not yet ready for release.  It's closer to finished now than at any time previously, I'm sure, but there's still some kinks and bugs.  You find something that appears buggy and hasn't been posted about before you, post it and let Alex and Peuan know.  Otherwise, just chill out and wait for good things to happen!

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2012, 02:40:08 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
In the other thread Peuan said that if you have negative fame your votes have no impact on others posts. But yours must be a glitch because you should be positive fame Don.

EDIT: Don I got you into the positives.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:16:53 AM by Aaron »
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2012, 05:31:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
In the other thread Peuan said that if you have negative fame your votes have no impact on others posts. But yours must be a glitch because you should be positive fame Don.

EDIT: Don I got you into the positives.

Thank you.  Yeah, I caught that post.  So, negative fame is a feature, not a bug, and your opinions don't count if your fame is negative, at least as far as faming/defaming someone else.

EDIT: someone knocked me back down.  Sooner or later they'd be hitting the negatives themselves, wouldn't they?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:32:33 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2012, 05:55:57 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Well if that person's really have something against you, we wouldn't be able to tell unless he/she posts against your comments.
As far as I know, Alex mentioned that in the official launch there will be a system to prevent spam faming or faming random posts without reasoning. Though I'm not sure downfaming someone would effect the famer's fame, it'll simply have minimal affect the poster.

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2012, 05:58:43 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah I've given Don some upfame as well :) But I'm not going to upfame everyone of his posts or anybody elses. Gotta work on being honest like Alex said haha

Gotta share the love though
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2012, 06:06:14 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Don certainly deserves more recognition and appreciation than he does right now, despite sometimes his posts are filled with certain, I wouldn't say inappropriate since there's the "free of speech", but some attitude that would easily aggravate some readers. He's brought us insights into many issues during most situations.

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 06:08:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeah I've given Don some upfame as well :) But I'm not going to upfame everyone of his posts or anybody elses. Gotta work on being honest like Alex said haha

Looking at your 388 fame, it looks like you're keeping it all to yourself!  (LOL)

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

Looking at your 388 fame, it looks like you're keeping it all to yourself!  (LOL)

Haha no. Upfaming somebody else doesn't affect your fame... I don't think. I'm spreading the love, don't worry :) Like I mentioned in another thread, the fame doesn't even matter right now. There is no fame shop so it does nothing and it's going to get reset. It's just a nifty number right now!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 07:10:14 PM »

NathanCanadas

• King of Hearts
  • Check out my sales post in my signature!

• YouTube:
Apparently, according to what Peuan said in another thread, as soon as you hit the negatives you cannot up or down fame anymore. Too bad.. me, Don, and Gunshy can't vote. I think this is kinda unfair. I think we should still be able to vote but our votes shouldn't make as big of a change as before.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 09:12:02 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I agree you should be able to still vote. It'll probably be something that the mods have in mind while adjusting the functions of the new system.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:
Yeay no more fame trolling ^_^ finallly.
@Don - whoa someone seems to  not really like you and defamed almost all your posts. Its like they took a look at your profile nad viewed your posts and unliked your replies.
***sigh***
But anyway, everyone will be reset to 0 fame right?

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2012, 09:24:32 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

Yes, it's been mentioned a few times that the fame would be reset when V2 goes live officially. It's will Beta stage right now. When the fame shop is implement, the fame would be reset.

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 03:01:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Apparently, according to what Peuan said in another thread, as soon as you hit the negatives you cannot up or down fame anymore. Too bad.. me, Don, and Gunshy can't vote. I think this is kinda unfair. I think we should still be able to vote but our votes shouldn't make as big of a change as before.

Yeay no more fame trolling ^_^ finallly.
@Don - whoa someone seems to  not really like you and defamed almost all your posts. Its like they took a look at your profile nad viewed your posts and unliked your replies.
***sigh***

Yes, it's been mentioned a few times that the fame would be reset when V2 goes live officially. It's will Beta stage right now. When the fame shop is implement, the fame would be reset.

When the system is out of beta is anyone's guess - even Peuan can only estimate, since bugs can pop up in the strangest places.  I'd guess that Fame will be ready before the Fame Shop, to give people time to acclimate to the new system.  And if someone is indeed tracking me down and defaming all my posts, it would actually end up (when things are working as they should) pulling their own fame down by a greater amount than mine over time.  I'm just assuming right now that it's Alex rejiggering the system and putting it through its paces to make sure it's ready for prime time.

It's a shame that I can't fame the posts I like, but since the numbers will be reset, it doesn't really matter.  And when the reset hits, it won't necessarily bring you to zero.  Some people have done actions unrelated to fame/infamy on the site that automatically generate fame for you, so your fame would be zero plus whatever fame your non-fame related actions that generate fame have given you.  A quick example would be making your first post in any topic - I think that gives you one fame.  Alex mentioned there'd be many such actions that create fame, and some would be very obscure, like Easter eggs on a DVD menu or in a video game.  I think there are even some that only the first person to achieve it will gain fame from it.

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2012, 06:01:57 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
I had a question about that fame thing. What is it? What can you do with it? Is it still in developing proces? Why have some people negative fame? Can you buy something with the fame? :)

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I had a question about that fame thing. What is it? What can you do with it? Is it still in developing proces? Why have some people negative fame? Can you buy something with the fame? :)

Fame is the result of a complex series of computations - when it works correctly, which it doesn't yet 'cause it's still in beta.  For now, just pretend it says "Happy grapefruit sunshine onegai shimasu, bakane!!"

You can like or dislike posts only if your fame is above zero.

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 11:58:26 AM »

MSimonart

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Ah ok thanks, btw: upfaming works indeed... ;)