ORNATE Playing Cards Preview

Author (Read 39562 times)

Re: ORNATE Playing Cards Preview
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
The mustache on the Jack of Spades does look a little weird, though. Not sure exactly why. :-\
And you might want to add a bit more to the black queens, they look too a bit too similar to me.

Yeah, that mustache just doesn't look right. I tried adding the hair streaks to help it out but
I'll redo the whole thing with a tighter, less bushy look.

Good catch on the Queens! I'll add some more Blue details to the Queen of Spades to
differentiate her more.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2012, 08:36:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I love the differentiation between the Jacks - the Queens, all of them, look nice but way too similar to each other.  I suggest you tweak the style on them more to give them distinctive facial features.

Ad far as the bushy moustache - I almost expect to see that guy take off his helmet and reveal his wavy mullet underneath!  But I actually like the moustache on him - it's distinctive and original.  It truly gives him character.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:39:52 PM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I love the differentiation between the Jacks - the Queens, all of them, look nice but way too similar to each other.  I suggest you tweak the style on them more to give them distinctive facial features.

Ad far as the bushy moustache - I almost expect to see that guy take off his helmet and reveal his wavy mullet underneath!  But I actually like the moustache on him - it's distinctive and original.  It truly gives him character.
I acctally like the similarity of the court cards. But everyone is going to have a different opinion :)
People say nothing's impossible, but I do nothing everyday.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #103 on: January 17, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:

Please keep the nose intact on the Queen of Hearts... She reminds me of someone because of it. ::)
Now if her eyes could look a little younger...
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
The Kings are almost finished (along with some minor changes to the Queens and Jack of Clubs). Moon, The Queen of Hearts remains unaltered!

Here's a link to a render I setup as a starting point to work on the promo video. Based on some great advice I'm going away from the Bicycle branding. I also took inspiration from lordlupus' comment and renamed the Blue Backs Sapphire and the Red Backs Scarlet. The render also reflects some color changes also made to the front of the Tuck Boxes. Hope you like!

http://www.midnightcardcompany.com/ORNATETucks3d.jpg

thanks, Randy

« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2012, 04:28:39 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
This may be because I like Pokemon, but I feel that Scarlet and Sapphire don't match each other. I feel you should either go Ruby and Sapphire, or Scarlet and Cobalt, but I feel Sapphire and Scarlet don't match each other. Just my opinion. Everything else looks amazing.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2012, 04:35:35 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
Agreed. Ruby/Sapphire or Scarlet/Cobalt both sound much more consistent than Scarlet/Sapphire.

« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2012, 05:34:54 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
My first thought was to be ruby and sapphire. But I actually really like moon's idea of Cobalt but I don't like scarlet  :P

« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2012, 07:31:39 PM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
I also am not fond of the name scarlet, although this deck looks AMAZING! I cant wait until I can have this deck in my hands.

Today I found something that reminded me of you. But don't worry I flushed and everything went back to normal.

« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2012, 07:40:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
The Kings are almost finished (along with some minor changes to the Queens and Jack of Clubs). Moon, The Queen of Hearts remains unaltered!

Here's a link to a render I setup as a starting point to work on the promo video. Based on some great advice I'm going away from the Bicycle branding. I also took inspiration from lordlupus' comment and renamed the Blue Backs Sapphire and the Red Backs Scarlet. The render also reflects some color changes also made to the front of the Tuck Boxes. Hope you like!

http://www.midnightcardcompany.com/ORNATETucks3d.jpg

thanks, Randy

They look nice.  I'm less concerned with the color names, though I agree that Crimson/Cobalt or Sapphire/Ruby are better name combinations.  But the bigger issue is the premium it will cost you to make this deck without using the Bicycle name.  USPC charges more for a custom deck made without the Bicycle brand.  Your future Kickstarter goal just got higher.  There's a reason Ellusionist used the name for all their decks until the release of Arcane.

« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2012, 07:54:41 PM »

lordlupus

• Forum Regular
I also took inspiration from lordlupus' comment and renamed the Blue Backs Sapphire and the Red Backs Scarlet. The render also reflects some color changes also made to the front of the Tuck Boxes.

I feel like an indirect unofficial co-designer of this project.  ;D

« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2012, 08:48:48 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
The overall look is the reasoning of Scarlet over Ruby, Ruby Red or Ruby-Red. Ruby alone doesn't look good. The two Ruby Red options look odd with the space or hyphen. I like that Scarlet has some more orange in it than a true red and there are a few uses of orange in the Red backs and Red court cards. Also, my parents have a horse named Scarlet so I liked that as a fun second meaning.

I like that both names start with the same letter. Cobalt was thrown around but I didn't like it at all.

In the end I think the argument between Scarlet and Ruby Red isn't going to make a bit of difference. I doubt anyone thinking about getting a deck of Ornate cards is going to be swayed either way based on the red descriptor name. This deck is all about the looks! I've learned through years of experience with alcohol promotions that it's the look and design that sells, much more than the headline or copy. The exception being magazine ads or television commercials that utilize a catchy slogan or clever tagline.

Thanks, Randy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 08:54:07 PM by RandyButterfield »

« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:06 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Before ditching the "Bicycle" brand name, look into the difference in cost between using it and not using it.  It could be significant enough that you'd want to keep it.  Or not, but it's better to know than not know.

« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2012, 02:32:07 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
Sorry about this, but the reveal of the finished Court Cards will have to
be put on hold for a while. A unique opportunity arose, so I will actually
not be placing this deck on Kickstarter.

It will still be coming out though, so don't worry. I can't say much now,
but more details will be coming in the near future!

thank you for your support, Randy

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2012, 02:45:34 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Sorry about this, but the reveal of the finished Court Cards will have to
be put on hold for a while. A unique opportunity arose, so I will actually
not be placing this deck on Kickstarter.

It will still be coming out though, so don't worry. I can't say much now,
but more details will be coming in the near future!

thank you for your support, Randy

The first part of your post scared me but then I was relieved when you said they would still be coming out. It'd be a complete shame if they didn't. Can't wait for when you decide to produce them, you have my full support!  :D
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
My guess is that a company may want to release his deck  ;D
But thats just a guess...

« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2012, 07:11:33 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
If that's the case, then GO FOR IT, RANDY!  Private funding is so much simpler than a Kickstart, but bear in mind you may be ceding a bit of control over the project.  Be prepared to either make a few small sacrifices or kill the deal and go back to Kickstarter.

Good luck, man!

« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2012, 12:50:02 AM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I'm a bit disappointed that the decks aren't going on Kickstarter.
I know it's great for the artist to have private funding but with kickstarter it feels like you are part of creating something.
Everyone who pledged on Vortex not only helped create a deck of cards but helped create this community.

Having said that it's great that Randy is getting recognition for his design and who knows where that may lead.

Congrats Randy.

I was just thinking, How does this affect the Poker Chips? I was very interested in those. Is that also part of the deal you've struck?
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2012, 02:08:05 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm a bit disappointed that the decks aren't going on Kickstarter.
I know it's great for the artist to have private funding but with kickstarter it feels like you are part of creating something.
Everyone who pledged on Vortex not only helped create a deck of cards but helped create this community.

Having said that it's great that Randy is getting recognition for his design and who knows where that may lead.

Congrats Randy.

I was just thinking, How does this affect the Poker Chips? I was very interested in those. Is that also part of the deal you've struck?

While I agree about the whole community vibe thing, getting a deck made via Kickstarter is about as easy as getting a dentist to pull out teeth through your ears because you won't open your mouth.  I'm certain this is something Alex or RKercheval can attest to, especially now that the IRS is getting their nose into the Kickstarter project business and taking taxes off the top.

It's not as much fun for us, but I guarantee it's ten times easier for the designer, so perhaps instead of focusing so much effort on fundraising and working out the logistics, Randy can start working on the next big thing he's got rattling around in the back of his head!

I do hope there will be more, right, bro?  :))

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2012, 01:06:55 AM »

Aaron

• Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
That is awesome, This will most likely speed up the ammount of time for us to get them because we dont have to wait for them to be funded.

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2012, 02:47:44 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Yeah there are good and bad to it. I'm not going to argue that it should be one way or the other because it is what it is. I think that the wait can be tough but the prices via Kickstarter are more preferable than through a big name company or something along those lines.

I'm glad that this opportunity arose! It's probably pretty awesome and it'll speed up the process and then we can hopefully get some more awesome decks!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2012, 03:18:07 AM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
That sounds like great news indeed! ;D
One thing: On the tuck boxes with the color names, you can clearly see that they were originally designed around the Bicycle logo, which is hardly desirable. It also lacks the continuity of the original for the same reason. You might want to touch up the shape of the lettering and surrounding pattern to drift a bit further away from Bicycle if you do go that way.  ;)
Though the picture illustrates pretty well your point about both names starting with the same letter. It does add a little something to the decks as a set.

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2012, 04:25:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeah there are good and bad to it. I'm not going to argue that it should be one way or the other because it is what it is. I think that the wait can be tough but the prices via Kickstarter are more preferable than through a big name company or something along those lines.

I'm glad that this opportunity arose! It's probably pretty awesome and it'll speed up the process and then we can hopefully get some more awesome decks!

It's not necessarily a bad thing if a bigger company makes the deck.  The bigger the company, the more units they can sell, the more will be made, the better the price they can offer.  Seriously, I can buy Bicycle Masters from Ellusionist for less than it costs me to by Standard Bicycles at retail in this city!  I was considering using them for "destroyed card" tricks since they were cheaper!

That sounds like great news indeed! ;D
One thing: On the tuck boxes with the color names, you can clearly see that they were originally designed around the Bicycle logo, which is hardly desirable. It also lacks the continuity of the original for the same reason. You might want to touch up the shape of the lettering and surrounding pattern to drift a bit further away from Bicycle if you do go that way.  ;)
Though the picture illustrates pretty well your point about both names starting with the same letter. It does add a little something to the decks as a set.

Yeah, the names are growing on me, and I like that they start with the same letter.  It creates a sort of symmetry that links the decks much like their color scheme does.

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

It's not necessarily a bad thing if a bigger company makes the deck.  The bigger the company, the more units they can sell, the more will be made, the better the price they can offer.  Seriously, I can buy Bicycle Masters from Ellusionist for less than it costs me to by Standard Bicycles at retail in this city!  I was considering using them for "destroyed card" tricks since they were cheaper!

Yeah I guess that could be so. I'm just going off the fact that all of the decks I've seen on Kickstarter have been much cheaper than most retail decks. I'm sure for some decks that isn't true. It seems to be the case for the most part though.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Congratulations Randy! I hope we receive your deck much sooner than later; you've done a fantastic job on it!