You are Here:
Defunctorum Playing Cards

Author (Read 7402 times)

Defunctorum Playing Cards
« on: October 20, 2014, 01:55:25 AM »

Rose

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:
Defunctorum playing cards are an original set of two decks which consists of 54 fully customized playing cards each. Design of decks is created by Roman Kotiv and produced by NOIR Arts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/891191024/defunctorum-playing-cards?ref=discovery

« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 02:32:23 AM by Rose »

Re: Defunctorum Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 06:23:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK, let's see what we have here...

Sugar skulls for all the courts and jokers...check.
Lots and lots of metallic ink...check.
Completely monochrome design...check.
One of the most unfortunate deck names I have ever seen...check.

Yup, looks like they hit all the bases with this one!

Honestly, I can't be the only person who's a little tired of seeing so many decks with sugar skulls, lots of metallic ink and a monochrome design, right?  The really unfortunate name is new - but then again, who would want that?  "Defunctorum" sounds like the name of an over-glorified junk yard!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 06:56:31 AM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
This deck reminds me of the "Muertos - Day of the Dead Playing Cards".

Skulls, gold, white, black ???

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 12:43:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This deck reminds me of the "Muertos - Day of the Dead Playing Cards".

Skulls, gold, white, black ???

Exactly!  The deck is too derivative of better decks that came before.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:58:24 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Is Revards a new word?  :P

Honestly, I can't be the only person who's a little tired of seeing so many decks with sugar skulls, lots of metallic ink and a monochrome design, right?  The really unfortunate name is new - but then again, who would want that?  "Defunctorum" sounds like the name of an over-glorified junk yard!

I am really bored with this as well. It just feels like he took Steve Mintys deck and followed the exact same style. Maybe it is the influx of all these new designers and deck creators, but themes just keep repeating themselves over and over again now. I like the tuck, but even the tuck looks like the "usual stuff" to me.

The design in itself isn't bad. Probably just launched at a wrong time.

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2014, 01:57:28 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The design in itself isn't bad. Probably just launched at a wrong time.

Well, the revards of getting there first are huge...  :))

Seriously - he probably saw Minty's deck and said, "Hey, I can make something like that!  Where do I line up to collect my cash?"  It's way too derivative to NOT be based on previous decks of similar design - and not just Steve Minty's.

If you're going to go down a path that's been explored before, you have to be better at it than those who came before you.  Just as good as them isn't enough, because no one will care.  We all know of the first expedition to hit the peak of Mount Everest - I bet no one here knows who was the second, third or any of the other first 100.  If number 17,854 wants to get noticed, they'd better be the first ones who packed wingsuits and use them to descend the whole way down...or the first ones who communicate with the ISS by lighting their farts in Morse code...or the first ones to hold Burning Man Nepal on the peak (with just one chemical toilet and it's frozen solid)...

So far, this guy ain't any of those people.  No innovation present.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:01:27 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 02:22:09 PM »

AlbinoDragon

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
17,854 - that's how many decks are on Kickstarter right about now isn't it?

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 02:58:56 PM »

alvinhy

• Elite Member
  • SiShou Playing Cards

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

I actually took the time to search and theres over 1000 with "playing cards" in their names  :o
And of course i add on to that number myself  ::)

Lets try guess what the next trend in design will be? :karrit:

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 11:21:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

It sure feels that way.

I actually took the time to search and theres over 1000 with "playing cards" in their names  :o
And of course i add on to that number myself  ::)

Lets try guess what the next trend in design will be? :karrit:

Please feel free to do that in a new topic over at Design/Dev - sounds like it could be interesting, but I'd like to keep this topic focused on that hot, wet mess, Defunctorum.  Seriously, it sounds either like an overglorified junkyard or perhaps just an ancient Roman one!  I can see it now...the Imperial Defunctorum...Commoners need not apply...it's right up there with the Imperial Vomitorium...

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
When I first saw the tuck, I thought looks pretty cool. The rest of the deck, not so much. I always worry about how that shiny gold will actually look on the black deck as well.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 06:19:30 AM »

Bryan Richards

• Newcomer

As for me - it looks pretty cool. Personally I like monochrome design. Backed it, and waiting!

I've seen good feedbacks on other forums, and could not keep myself from commenting your agressive feedback on almost every single deck here. What is your problem? Your criticism is absolutely unconstructive. If you know how to do it better - just make your suggestions. Or make your own deck

By the way Don, how many playing cards have you designed? Can you show at least few?

Vomitorium - this is about your miserable comment, not this deck

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 08:07:00 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

As for me - it looks pretty cool. Personally I like monochrome design. Backed it, and waiting!

I've seen good feedbacks on other forums, and could not keep myself from commenting your agressive feedback on almost every single deck here. What is your problem? Your criticism is absolutely unconstructive. If you know how to do it better - just make your suggestions. Or make your own deck

By the way Don, how many playing cards have you designed? Can you show at least few?

Vomitorium - this is about your miserable comment, not this deck

Opinion is feedback, be it valued or not, it's feedback. Good or bad is subjective, always something in it that holds value. This is a place for opinion. That's kind of what forums are for. Calling out Don isn't really necessary for you to disagree with him. I guess that's the thing to do at the time though. You can just disagree and leave it at that. Pretty sure everyone here, regardless of opinion, wishes him and his deck the best. :)

For me personally, not in on this one. I'm just burned out on skulls, there have been a LOT of skull decks recently, and I value indices with a color change between the red and black suits. They don't have to be red and black mind you, just not all the same color. I considered backing this campaign earlier and still may. The card backs look really nice, for skulls. I'm not really fond of the Aces much, to me they feel slightly disconnected to the rest of the deck. I'd like to see the number cards. The indices, skulls, and lack of knowing who's going to be printing these two decks for only $5,000.00 keep me from backing.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
...I've seen good feedbacks on other forums, and could not keep myself from commenting your agressive feedback on almost every single deck here. What is your problem? Your criticism is absolutely unconstructive. If you know how to do it better - just make your suggestions...

Just want to quote @Fes in connection with the above quoted.

...always something in it that holds value...

Opinion is really feedback. But it can be formulated in different ways. I’ve finished reading of the branch dedicated to Bicycle Rongorongo Playing Cards.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 10:51:45 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
a) I like the look of this deck, even if it is rather derivative/too similar to those that have come before it

b) I'm not pledging for it because I don't like skulls (and yes, there have been far too many decks with skulls in them of late), so a deck has to be spectacular for me to be interested if it features skulls as more than a tiny background element

c) I know Don is the head honcho around here, and I readily acknowledge that he knows more about cards and card design than I'll ever learn - mad props to him for that. However, I must say that having hung around these forums for a while now, I do feel that he is very quick to judge, and unnecessarily rude and sarcastic when he doesn't like or agree with something. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, and I do acknowledge that he runs this place, but it's just not necessary to be as rude and offensive and sarcastic as he sometimes (often) is, nor is it necessary for him to put people down so often just because their opinions don't match his/their ideas don't fit his fancy. It's especially sad to me because he often uses his superior knowledge and/or status in the community as leverage in his put downs. This, from my perspective, is the cyber equivalent of a guy in real life who is bigger and stronger than another kid beating him up and/or mercilessly making fun of him because the other kid is smaller/weaker than him and can't do much about it, especially because the big kid has lots of friends/supporters everywhere.

Point c above is a bit of a rant, and I hope I won't be penalized too severely for expressing my opinion, though I fear I may be. It's been bugging me for a while how Don treats people/projects/whatever which he doesn't like, and I guess this is where I throw in my two cents... Please don't ban me/exile me/declare me persona non grata here...=P

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Please don't ban me/exile me/declare me persona non grata here

I don't think you'll be banned for expressing your opinion, especially in such a clear, respecful manner.........If you do, I'll truly be shocked.

Back to the deck at hand....

Anyone who creates and launches a deck get some props from me right off the bat, its very easy to critisize, but to actually take your idea or concept to the "Proving Ground" is always a difficult step, so, Good Luck with the project.

That being said,

The name is just aweful, unless there is some hidden meaning or transalation that I'm missing, I think it's a poor choice. The concept and design, well, here I'm with most everyone else, its slick, clean........and its been done before. This is kind of turning into the "Zombie" decks of the current market. Of course, designer should do what they please, but if its a re-hash of something you really need to knock it out of the park with some "Distinction" in your design or presentation.

There's obvioously some talent behind the deck, maybe look for something fresh and new next time around, but as I said, good luck with the project.

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »

Noir-Arts

• Newcomer
Hi there.
Thanks foryour opinions. We will gladly consider all constructive feedback

Few words about name concept: we were looking for more unusual and not trivial name, like skulls, dead, halloween, etc...
So we had come with Defunctorum. Dies Defunctorum - light deck - can be translated from Latin as Day of the dead, and Nox Defunctorum - dark deck - Night of the dead.

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 06:28:10 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I have to echo here what most people are saying, the skulls are tryingly cliche and overused, to the point that there are even themed skull decks in the market, which is even worse. This is just 'another skull deck'. And any time a project chooses not to list the printer I assume it is going to be by makeplayingcards.com and will be crap.

That said, I really like the monochrome design, the 'Seasons' tuck treatment on the design is nice, and I like the background on the cards, I think it compliments the design well. and I'm a sucker for silver on white designs. I am on the fence with this one, I don't much care for the imagery, but am drawn in by the overall aesthetic.

And yeah, people can be pretty critical on this forum, but I don't want to be a part of a community that pulls it's punches. We all know Don to be very verbose in his criticism, but I also imagine when you have been a part of the card community as long as Don has, when you have worked as a consultant for as many projects and you have a true deep love of playing cards, that you have a lot of opinions, deep rooted, far seeing oppinions and a bit of a sense of entitlement, earned, to voice them. And with as much crap as has been hitting the market lately it must get harder and harder to bite your tongue.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2014, 05:07:31 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Hi there.
Thanks foryour opinions. We will gladly consider all constructive feedback

Few words about name concept: we were looking for more unusual and not trivial name, like skulls, dead, halloween, etc...
So we had come with Defunctorum. Dies Defunctorum - light deck - can be translated from Latin as Day of the dead, and Nox Defunctorum - dark deck - Night of the dead.

Hi there,

Thanks for dropping by and giving us some explanation to the name of the deck. You can always hope over to the introduction section to share a little about yourself and what you do. Also, please feel free to share your thoughts, design process and updates here. Please take no offence to what we may say, as we are all card lovers, but maybe just loving them in different ways. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

And yeah, people can be pretty critical on this forum, but I don't want to be a part of a community that pulls it's punches. We all know Don to be very verbose in his criticism, but I also imagine when you have been a part of the card community as long as Don has, when you have worked as a consultant for as many projects and you have a true deep love of playing cards, that you have a lot of opinions, deep rooted, far seeing oppinions and a bit of a sense of entitlement, earned, to voice them. And with as much crap as has been hitting the market lately it must get harder and harder to bite your tongue.

If you want a sugar-coated, fairy tale forum, then i am sure this is the wrong place.

This is a forum to express our thoughts. Although some of us may not like how others express their thoughts, most importantly is what kind of message is being brought across. I believe Don has quite a good deal of experience in cards. I am not too sure about designing them, but i am very sure he knows how a deck of cards work. I'm sure most recently being heard in the forum is how Uusi consulted him for advice about designing their deck. I am sure Uusi would not consult Don for 5 projects if he does not know what he is talking about, and as they have shown in their decks, the design looks awesome. Like what Justin say, when you go through so many decks a day, it may be very possible that your threshold just keeps getting lower.

But so far the sarcasm Don put out is not without reason. It is true that we have seen so many Day of the dead decks in recent times that this, to be honest, is really nothing special. I can easily find multiple decks in KS with Day of the Dead themes, and this one certainly does not stand out. I'm not even going to go through how many Gold/Black decks are there.

Like i said before, the design is not bad, it is just not "innovative". We don't come in to the forum and say, "oh this is a good deck, lets buy it", but rather we look at many many different aspects of the project; from design, themes, detailing to card stock, printer, print quality and even to pricing, shipping and marketing. There are not only collectors here, but designers, magicians, performers, cardist, resellers, printers....etc. Many of us may not have designed any decks, but we sure have seen enough decks to tell which is okay, good, great, fantastic, and pure rubbish. All of us may not always agree, but that is what forums are for.

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2014, 06:44:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I oversleep for a while and this is what happens...  :))

First, I want to get something straight for all the members here.  You will NEVER get kicked off the boards for disagreeing with me.  If you have a negative opinion about me but express it in a respectful manner, I'm EAGER to hear it and will never ban you for it.  I'm as human as the next person, and the last thing I want is an entire board of people yes-ing me to death - that sounds boring and dull, and not the kind of board I'd want to be a part of.

Bryan07, you asked about my experience - I've consulted on six decks with Uusi (you guys forgot Blueblood Redux!) and several decks with other companies.  I received a message just yesterday from a new potential client.  As far as my own personal deck design experience, I'm actually in the middle of a secret deck project, one which everyone here will know more about in the next month or two.  I can't reveal details right now as it's a project that uses another company's intellectual property and our contract is still in the process of being prepared.  I'm no graphic design expert, but as a collector and a magician, I've learned a lot about what makes a deck a functional, working deck - in essence the rules of deck design.  They're not that hard to learn, at least not for me, and you can break a rule now and then - but better if you have a reason for doing so other than "I didn't know", that it has a purpose in your deck, that to not break it would alter your design in a fundamental way.  And of course, there are decks of playing cards that are "playing" in name only, used as a medium for someone's art or for the dissemination of information, and is a pack of "playing cards" as a secondary use.

Yes, I was very opinionated about this deck.  Some on this board agreed with me, as well.  The name really is a terrible one.  The artwork has been done before - perhaps not exactly like this, but similar enough in the consumers' eyes that it doesn't really matter.  You wanted constructive criticism? Perhaps you missed this recent post, quoted below in bold.

If you're going to go down a path that's been explored before, you have to be better at it than those who came before you.  Just as good as them isn't enough, because no one will care.  We all know of the first expedition to hit the peak of Mount Everest - I bet no one here knows who was the second, third or any of the other first 100.  If number 17,854 wants to get noticed, they'd better be the first ones who packed wingsuits and use them to descend the whole way down...or the first ones who communicate with the ISS by lighting their farts in Morse code...or the first ones to hold Burning Man Nepal on the peak (with just one chemical toilet and it's frozen solid)...

As much as you wish you were, Roman/Noir-Arts, you are not the first to market with this general design idea.  You're closer to 17,854th.  You need something else if you want your deck to make people stand up and take notice.  Otherwise, it's just another gold skull deck.  Believe it or not, the art itself really isn't bad in my opinion.  It's just that we've seen so many projects just like it, we've grown tired of it.  If you released this deck two years ago, you'd have been a smash-hit success, almost certainly - but today, you're just late to the market and look like too many other decks to stand out in the crowd.

Better name?  Heck, something as simple as "Black Gold" and "White Gold" would have been a better pair of names.  Some goofy, faux Latin name with the word "defunct" in it is not the best choice or even close to it.  I understand the desire for unusual and unique, but "unique" and "unusual" are not automatically synonymous with "great" or even "good".  I was told once that the expression "May you live in interesting times" is actually an old Chinese curse.  Using an original name solely for the reason that it's unusual doesn't always have desired results.  I can remember an episode of a cartoon, I think it was "the Simpsons", where a car company was releasing a new sports car that ended up with the name "Seborrhea" - sounds kinda cool until you learn that it's the name of a skin disease.  In real life, Chevrolet tried importing their popular "Nova" model to South America without bothering to take into consideration that "no va" in Spanish means "doesn't go".  As you can imagine, sales weren't exactly stellar.

More original design idea?  Imagine doing this in full color, no gold ink.  Suddenly it starts to look more original.  And that's just one teeny tweak of an idea, not a total overhaul.  There's other, simple concepts that could have been employed, something different enough to make the deck unique while still retaining its charm.

It sucks when someone has bad things to say about a labor of love.  Trust me, I know.  If you feel I got carried away with the joking, accept this apology - I make mistakes no different than anyone else and I'll own up to them where others might hide.  But a designer should never, ever take our comments personally - and the good ones never do.  It's not the person we're at issue with but the deck, and because we are passionate about playing cards, our opinions can be a little, well, "opinionated" at times.  But ask what can be done, I guarantee you you'll have a list of options to choose from - and not all of them would be mine.

Feel free to take my ideas and reject every single one.  I'm not the be-all and end-all of playing card design, not even close.  It won't bother me in the least, I won't take offense, I won't kick you off the boards, etc.  Not every idea I come up with is made of chocolate and dipped in caramel - I'll admit up front that some stink!  But overall, I have a pretty decent track record, and there are the opinions of others here as well.  You'd do well to consider that, especially if you're hearing the same ideas from multiple people - they may have a point worth investigating.

Finally, to close things out, if you take every single card collector in the market and added them all up, we'd only make up a fraction of a fraction of the overall playing card market.  We buy more than the average consumer, but not enough to make us much more than a little blip on the radar.  Feel free to pursue whatever path you feel you must in the creation of your deck - no one here will get in your way and we'll always welcome you back.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 06:53:58 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2014, 06:50:38 AM »

Will W.

• Discourse Veteran

If you want a sugar-coated, fairy tale forum, then i am sure this is the wrong place.

This is a forum to express our thoughts. Although some of us may not like how others express their thoughts, most importantly is what kind of message is being brought across. I believe Don has quite a good deal of experience in cards. I am not too sure about designing them, but i am very sure he knows how a deck of cards work. I'm sure most recently being heard in the forum is how Uusi consulted him for advice about designing their deck. I am sure Uusi would not consult Don for 5 projects if he does not know what he is talking about, and as they have shown in their decks, the design looks awesome. Like what Justin say, when you go through so many decks a day, it may be very possible that your threshold just keeps getting lower.

But so far the sarcasm Don put out is not without reason. It is true that we have seen so many Day of the dead decks in recent times that this, to be honest, is really nothing special. I can easily find multiple decks in KS with Day of the Dead themes, and this one certainly does not stand out. I'm not even going to go through how many Gold/Black decks are there.

Like i said before, the design is not bad, it is just not "innovative". We don't come in to the forum and say, "oh this is a good deck, lets buy it", but rather we look at many many different aspects of the project; from design, themes, detailing to card stock, printer, print quality and even to pricing, shipping and marketing. There are not only collectors here, but designers, magicians, performers, cardist, resellers, printers....etc. Many of us may not have designed any decks, but we sure have seen enough decks to tell which is okay, good, great, fantastic, and pure rubbish. All of us may not always agree, but that is what forums are for.
Very well said!  I concur implicitly...
"I collect these objects to learn from them. In some moment these things are going to teach me something. For me, this is like a library. These are my books."
- Jose Bedia

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 06:42:57 PM »

Bryan Richards

• Newcomer
Don, I must apologize to you for such harsh comment. My point was that Roman is only a beginner. That is his first independent project, and I think in this situation - he did pretty good job. Yes, the name could be better. But I believe he will take into consideration every single feedback and his next project will be more interesting for professional collectors and professionals like you. Anyways, as I said before, I'm not a pro, but like what he did.

Roman|NOIRArts - Wish you success with this project and new improved ones in the future :)

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 02:32:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don, I must apologize to you for such harsh comment. My point was that Roman is only a beginner. That is his first independent project, and I think in this situation - he did pretty good job. Yes, the name could be better. But I believe he will take into consideration every single feedback and his next project will be more interesting for professional collectors and professionals like you. Anyways, as I said before, I'm not a pro, but like what he did.

Roman|NOIRArts - Wish you success with this project and new improved ones in the future :)

Bryan07, there's no need to apologize but I'm glad to hear it.  Your opinion is as welcome on this forum as anyone else's.  I'm inclined to agree with you that Roman will take some of what's here to heart when it comes to future projects - and we wish him every success, I'm sure.

I just wish more designers would find our forum BEFORE launching their Kickstarter projects.

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2014, 01:03:41 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Friendly reminder on this campaign. 14 hours left. Some interesting wooden boxes available as add-ons.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »

Miguel77

• Newcomer
Hello guys, I already posted in topic dedicated to "Arcanum deck" and want to post it here too.

Today I have checked FB acc of Arcanum creators and found that they have relisted "Arcanum" project on indiegogo, but it is not a big problem. What is a problem that
they totally copied descriprion of "Defunctorum" project. I think that creator of Defunctorum must see this. If someone is in touch with them, I want them to see this.
I think that it is not good idea to steal someones idea or totally copy description.
Take a look on compare picture that I have made.

links to original Arcanum on KS
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/207925240/arcanum-playing-cards-printed-by-us-playing-cards
original Defunctorum and Defunctorum cruor
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/891191024/defunctorum-playing-cards
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/891191024/defunctorum-cruor-limited-edition-playing-cards

relaunched Arcanum on indiegogo
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/arcanum-playing-cards