Best decks of cards under $15

Author (Read 4353 times)

Best decks of cards under $15
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:21:50 PM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ
Hi guys!

I'm trying to limit the amount I spend on playing cards for the sake of my bank account and I've decided to buy 1-2 decks a month instead of the 15 a month I was buying last year.

I'm spending (at most) £10.00 on each deck which equates to about $16.

So which decks do you recommend what are your favourite decks on that budget ($16 per deck)?

Thanks  :D
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 03:31:05 PM by AtomSmash »
...but that's just my opinion.

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

Re: Best decks of cards under $15
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 02:44:05 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That's going to be a pretty long list AtomSmash, $16.00 Per deck is pretty healthy if your not going too far back into out of print decks. I do admire you wrangling in your spending, probably one of the hardest collecting things to get a hold of.

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 03:29:41 PM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ
That's going to be a pretty long list AtomSmash, $16.00 Per deck is pretty healthy if your not going too far back into out of print decks. I do admire you wrangling in your spending, probably one of the hardest collecting things to get a hold of.

Sorry, phrased the question wrong :)

What are peoples favourite decks for under $15?

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 03:43:20 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Honestly, theory11's Monarchs are a fantastic pack of cards for the money, as are Ellusionist's Madison Rounders. You can never go wrong with plain old Bikes, Tallys or Bees, either.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 03:58:23 PM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ
Honestly, theory11's Monarchs are a fantastic pack of cards for the money, as are Ellusionist's Madison Rounders. You can never go wrong with plain old Bikes, Tallys or Bees, either.

What do you think of the medallions?

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 04:09:27 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

What do you think of the medallions?

The general consensus would be that Artisans and Monarchs are the theory11 decks of choice. Medallions are overall inconsistent. The tuck and back design are very nice. It misses with the branding and court cards.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:33:22 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 04:20:10 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
AtomSmash: Are you located in the US? Because if you're not, that'll limit the amount of decks by quite a lot :P
- Tom

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ
AtomSmash: Are you located in the US? Because if you're not, that'll limit the amount of decks by quite a lot :P
UK, shipping kills me every time  :(

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:14:47 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

UK, shipping kills me every time  :(

That's going to seriously curtail your budget.  Consider saving for two or three months before making a buy.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
From recent releases, CARC/EPCC's Exquisite deck is my favourite by far, because of the superior handling (if you like stiff cards) and durability (they outlast USPCC decks by far -- it's not even close!).

Shipping from the USA to the UK is a killer though... and so unless I'm buying in bulk, I prefer to order from JP Playing Cards (works out MUCH cheaper than buying a single deck from the states).
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 04:57:50 AM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ
From recent releases, CARC/EPCC's Exquisite deck is my favourite by far, because of the superior handling (if you like stiff cards) and durability (they outlast USPCC decks by far -- it's not even close!).

Shipping from the USA to the UK is a killer though... and so unless I'm buying in bulk, I prefer to order from JP Playing Cards (works out MUCH cheaper than buying a single deck from the states).
Thanks! Do you know if they are full custom?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 05:00:55 AM by AtomSmash »

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 06:06:23 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

The Exquisite decks have standard courts. The thing about them is that one end of the pips are bold and the other end isn't, so it's one sided (like the Legends). Here's a link to a review by VJose32 on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4yS4fuBTY

My favorite under $15 would definitely be the Aurum "Sovereign" Edition by Encarded. Theory11 also has a lot of really awesome decks for $6.95 or less, such as the Sentinels, Artisans, and Monarchs.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:09:49 AM by Sher143 »

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 06:18:40 AM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ

The Exquisite decks have standard courts. The thing about them is that one end of the pips are bold and the other end isn't, so it's one sided (like the Legends). Here's a link to a review by VJose32 on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO4yS4fuBTY

My favorite under $15 would definitely be the Aurum "Sovereign" Edition by Encarded. Theory11 also has a lot of really awesome decks for $6.95 or less, such as the Sentinels, Artisans, and Monarchs.
Thanks! Aurum looks awesome but if I have to pay more for shipping than I do for a deck then it's usually a no go for me  :P

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 06:24:28 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

Thanks! Aurum looks awesome but if I have to pay more for shipping than I do for a deck then it's usually a no go for me  :P

Oops, sorry. I didn't know shipping international would cost that much.  :-\

JP Playing Cards (http://jpplayingcards.co.uk/) has them for 10.99 pounds, which is a little more than you're willing pay for, excluding shipping. Darn.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:29:13 AM by Sher143 »

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 06:47:51 AM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ

Oops, sorry. I didn't know shipping international would cost that much.  :-\

JP Playing Cards (http://jpplayingcards.co.uk/) has them for 10.99 pounds, which is a little more than you're willing pay for, excluding shipping. Darn.

Eh, 99p extra isn't too much. Thank-you! I'm going to buy a deck of these for sure.

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 07:23:32 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular
Hey AtomSmash!

Check this thread out: http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/decks-with-complete-customisation/
It's a bit long but there are a few good ones on there.

If you have the time I'd recommend checking out kickstarter - alot of good decks started there for ~$10 USD + shipping a deck.
Regarding your price limit, do you mean readily available at <$15? The reason I ask is because recently on this board a guy sold red bohemias for $7, which is less than your limit but usually red bohemias would be more than your limit.
If you can get your hands on Uusi's cards I don't think you'd be disappointed. Encarded's cards also look amazing. And Zenneth Kwok has a small range of decks for sale with free wolrdwide shipping - you can get a Fatboy eat all day V2 for $10.90.

I personally like the Medallions. But if I really had to choose between them and the Monarchs, I think I'd take the monarchs. The recent T11 black JAQKs were less than $15 when released and are a great deck, one of my favourites. Unfortunately they were a limited release from T11 and their site doesn't sell them any more. Good news though I think JP Playing Cards is going to stock them... I might be getting mixed up with the black legends V2 though.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 08:50:42 AM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ
Hey AtomSmash!

Check this thread out: http://aethercards.com/discourse/playing-card-plethora/decks-with-complete-customisation/
It's a bit long but there are a few good ones on there.

If you have the time I'd recommend checking out kickstarter - alot of good decks started there for ~$10 USD + shipping a deck.
Regarding your price limit, do you mean readily available at <$15? The reason I ask is because recently on this board a guy sold red bohemias for $7, which is less than your limit but usually red bohemias would be more than your limit.
If you can get your hands on Uusi's cards I don't think you'd be disappointed. Encarded's cards also look amazing. And Zenneth Kwok has a small range of decks for sale with free wolrdwide shipping - you can get a Fatboy eat all day V2 for $10.90.

I personally like the Medallions. But if I really had to choose between them and the Monarchs, I think I'd take the monarchs. The recent T11 black JAQKs were less than $15 when released and are a great deck, one of my favourites. Unfortunately they were a limited release from T11 and their site doesn't sell them any more. Good news though I think JP Playing Cards is going to stock them... I might be getting mixed up with the black legends V2 though.
Thanks! I do mean decks that can be found <$15 that can also be found higher, as well as decks that are always lower.  :D

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Ya, this is a no brainer for under $15.00......Aurum  :D

Paul does some pretty sweet work  ;)
http://encarded.com/playing-cards/aurum/aurum-playing-cards.html
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 09:23:31 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 03:35:46 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:
Go on eBay and get yourself some Bee Watermelon decks

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 06:49:00 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

In Great Britain?  For under $16/£10 with shipping?

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 06:52:11 PM »

John Spade

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

Oh yea, maybe not in Great Britain.... sorry, that was dumb of me.

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

Well , you say that, but I sold a blue watermelon on eBay today for £10.50 inc 1st class signed for :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2014, 11:19:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Well , you say that, but I sold a blue watermelon on eBay today for £10.50 inc 1st class signed for :)

Technically that's over the budget...  :))

But seriously, if you were to order that same deck from an online store, even a domestic one, do you think you'd still be paying only ten-and-a-half quid for it?  If you were to walk into a magic shop that carried collectible decks that are out of print, would it be under that much then?

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2014, 05:21:34 AM »

AtomSmash

• True Member
  • ಠ_ಠ

$16 not including shipping (not all inclusive :P)

ಠ_ಠ CARDS ಠ_ಠ

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 10:18:57 AM »

Jonathan

• Forum Regular

Thanks! I do mean decks that can be found <$15 that can also be found higher, as well as decks that are always lower.  :D

In that case:
Anything Uusi (Blue blood, bohemias Optiks, BB redux and pagans are what they're released to this point in time)
Encarded (they're all great but I think only the aurums and decos can be got for <$15)
Ellusionist: Love the artifice purples
Theory11: Monarches, medallions and Black JAQKs all the way

I don't know how you handle international - but the way I try to handle is by buying a large amount at once to reduce the shipping cost per deck and then opening them slowly haha. Ie I would probably buy 12 decks at once then open one a month rather than have to pay itnernational shipping 12 times. If I could jsut walk down to a local card store and find decks I would do that... but it's Australia we have no physical card stores haha XD.