You are Here:
is it hard or me ?

Author (Read 532 times)

is it hard or me ?
« on: November 23, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »

Keroka0

• Newcomer
okay it seems like i learned alot but what i didn't yet is the awesome tricks i didn't learned lot of it yet some of them seems hard and impossible for IDK why is there a few things i should know before doing the hard things ? or should i learn somethings or practice for special moves before i do those hard moves ?

any tips or help about this ?

also i want to know how to make people relax ppl in my country looks like focus in everything i do while iam trying to show them a move or a trick i want to make 'em looking at a maze !

Re: is it hard or me ?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 03:34:25 PM »

Curt

• Don't Use This!
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Are you talking about card magic? or coin, or what? I'll assume you are talking about card magic.

There are plenty of easier effects to learn and basic moves, such as double lifts and simple colour changes that when used properly can create really impressive magic. There are more difficult moves, such as a pass or clipshift, where you shouldn't expect to be able to do them properly without months, if not years of practice. There is plenty of easier card magic out there. The book series Card College has an enormous amount of information, ranging from beginner to advanced.

If you want to learn how to control your spectators, you need to preform more. The more you preform the more you will learn how to make the spectators look where you want. Also, being extremely comfortable with the magic you preform is key to making a relaxed atmosphere. If you are nervous and are focused really hard on the handling of the cards, the spectators will be focused on the cards as well. It all comes down to practice and repetition.

For many card tricks, and magic in general, don't expect to master each new trick in a day, or even a week. Performing magic properly take thousands of hours of effort, it's not something that comes overnight.

Keep up the effort and you'll see improvements in no time!

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 03:41:03 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
All you need is practice. Practice makes perfect. Watch some videos or read some books on audience management. Audience management plays a key part in every magicians performance. Use misdirection, engage more with your spectators, use bigger motions to hide the smaller ones. These are some of the things to incorporate into your audience management.

Don't go straight into a trick that's hard, go for the more simpler ones. There's many simple tricks out there that play BIG and are much more amazing. Just because the trick is deemed hard, doesn't make it the most amazing trick in the world.
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 08:41:34 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For me, it's all about the patter.  Patter is good misdirection and when done well, it's the most entertaining part of the trick.  For me, many of the tricks I perform are almost like telling a story - people love to hear stories; if they didn't, television would have been a passing fad that died out long ago.  When you're talking with a spectator, telling them a story, they're going to look in your eyes.  While they're looking at you, there's a lot your hands can do that they won't spot!

Another fun bit of misdirection is to engage the spectator more in the trick.  I have a trick that involves things like spectators sitting on a packet of cards, counting them into a pile, etc.  While they're intently staring at those cards and counting them to see how many are there, I could run a herd of elephants past them they're so focused on that.

Some of my favorite magic - and favorite instruction in some basic techniques - is in the Michael Ammar "Easy to Do Card Miracles" series of DVDs.  If you can, get the ones in the original, standard DVD boxes instead of the slim ones - the originals often contain gaffs to go with the tricks.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/