You are Here:
Cardistry Release Help?

Author (Read 1006 times)

Cardistry Release Help?
« on: September 01, 2013, 02:51:37 PM »

Patrick Varnavas

I'm releasing this semi-large set of moves on Theory 11 very soon, and I'd love to get some opinions on how it looks right now. :) Here's the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0pdaqlYmtw

Any thoughts?

Re: Cardistry Release Help?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:51:49 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Don't wear shorts in videos! They make you look 13.

If you're gonna play classy music with classy editing, wear classy clothing.

Also, are those Mavericks? Takes balls to use those. :P

I really do like the editing and although I'm not knowledgeable in cardistry, the moves look smooth and appealing to watch.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:30:01 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Don't wear shorts in videos! They make you look 13.

If you're gonna play classy music with classy editing, wear classy clothing.

Also, are those Mavericks? Takes balls to use those. :P

I really do like the editing and although I'm not knowledgeable in cardistry, the moves look smooth and appealing to watch.

I'm largely in agreement.  I also would say use an attractive background - the park stuff was nice, the bedroom stuff, less so.

And Maves are great cards, when you get the US-made stuff - really good smooth deck.  I love mine.  I just wish I was giving out the US-made decks to the kids at the hospital - I ended up with all Chinese-made decks.  Meh.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 10:43:42 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
Where is he using Maveriks?

Also Patrick... you know how i feel about all this ;)
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »

Patrick Varnavas

I am actually not using Maves, those would be Red Streamlines. As for your comments on the location, I agree wholly. The shots in my room were actually from my past videos, I figured that showing them actually being used over time would help prove the whole "Signature Move" claim. But I understand what you're saying, I'll take note of that for future projects. As for my clothing/music style, I deliberately tried to go with the "Patrick Varnavas" look that all of my videos have. I figured it would appeal with my audience much more if it looked like a "Patrick" project. But again, I get what you're saying and I'll try to go for some different looks in the future.

Thanks so much guys!

-Patrick Varnavas

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I am actually not using Maves, those would be Red Streamlines. As for your comments on the location, I agree wholly. The shots in my room were actually from my past videos, I figured that showing them actually being used over time would help prove the whole "Signature Move" claim. But I understand what you're saying, I'll take note of that for future projects. As for my clothing/music style, I deliberately tried to go with the "Patrick Varnavas" look that all of my videos have. I figured it would appeal with my audience much more if it looked like a "Patrick" project. But again, I get what you're saying and I'll try to go for some different looks in the future.

Thanks so much guys!

-Patrick Varnavas

Crap - I was confusing Maves and Streamlines.  Maves are just awful these days.  It's Streamlines that rock.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
LOVE those moves! Ciao was my favorite. A super smooth display.

My main suggestion would be to provide an over the shoulder angle in the instruction, and at the same time have a small box in the corner showing it from a frontal angle. Sometimes cards can obstruct the moves beneath them. Also, it helps to show the moves with the deck face up, thus making the cards easier to track.

I absolutely don't care about how you look or the background you use in a instructional video. Those might be important for a standard cardistry video, but it doesn't matter in an instructional. Just use natural and non-distracting settings.

I can't wait to see this on The Wire!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »

Patrick Varnavas

Yup, the instruction style on Melody will be the same as all my other tutorials. I do a verbal explanation from the front first, then I cut to the POV perspective and give a verbal overview again. Here's one of my older tutorials, same instruction style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p95ryRI6zmQ

The entire Melody set contains around an hour of instruction, I didn't want to leave anyone with questions. :P and yes, Streamlines are great hahah