Bicycle Federal 52 (KS)

Author (Read 21172 times)

Bicycle Federal 52 (KS)
« on: March 13, 2013, 09:18:44 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1722808047/federal-52-a-new-bicycle-playing-card-deck?ref=card

"what are you talking about?" don't you see it? this is the new pedale. it's like the second coming of jesus. he should do very good.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 02:47:16 PM by sprouts1115 »

Re: federal 52
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Well, what would you know... Finally a kickstarter project that looks like it has incredible potential... I happen to like the looks of the deck... May even back it...

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 10:27:40 PM »

Xntrix

• True Member

• Facebook:
Hate that he went Bicycle. Hate the Box. Hate the one-way back design (with that giant '52' in the middle. Euuuuggghhhh.

Love everything else. These things have the potential to be brilliant in the right hands. He just needs direction from someone who knows playing cards. That King of Spades is wicked. One-way, obviously, but wicked. If he was to ditch the box, back design and Bicycle - he'd hit Pedale Design levels of backing, and be able to make them for much cheaper (USPCC take a nice royalty for use of the word 'Bicycle'.) I would actually pledge hard on these if it weren't for those three minor fails.

-J.
To enquire about Ellusionist sponsorship,  provide feedback or just have a chat - please email me at Jake {at} ellusionist.com

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:41:20 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I agree with Jake on his dislike of the obviously one way backs and court cards (I'm assuming all of them are that way because the King of Spades is). I actually don't like the fact that every card is also one way as well. I don't mind the back being one way if it was more subtle.

But I can't stand that everything is one way and very obvious as well. Like Jake mentioned, this has potential. The current design is really nice and a good idea.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 10:45:26 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Points well taken... However, it's nice to see the Bicycle brand on something other than every other piece of $#!T being produced under kickstarter... Yes, some tweaking - 2 way on both sides and maybe a bit more detail on the box... He has the potential to blow the box out of the water if he gets a bit more detailed... I would suspect that there may be some revisions prior to the release... Let's see...

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 10:48:44 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Very true. I do plan to keep an eye on this project. Like I said, I like the design idea. If it was tweaked to being less one way I'd love it.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 05:46:15 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
Some pictures ... I think it looks gorgeous and I backed it.  Bummed that the earliy birds went so fast (well, bummed that they went so fast and I missed it :-).  The theme is US currency.

[EDIT: Adding pix of the suit-back and all four suit-pips.]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:20:34 AM by GBAllison »

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 06:34:22 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
What I liked:

Art that looks like authentic intaglio printing on US currency.
Attractive and original take on the pips.
Beautiful, attractive design, an obvious labor of love.

What I can deal with:

One-way face designs.

What I didn't like:

Awful name - "Federal" sounds great, "52" doesn't.
Way too expensive unless you buy in bulk - even the early bird wasn't that much of a bargain.
Altered Treasury seal design that puts his name on most of the spot cards.
Obvious one-way back design - and an ugly back at that.
What's up with that deck seal?
Semi-cheesy promotional video, typographic errors on the home page (lack of seriousness and attention to detail).
The fact that he hasn't completed the design, meaning that he's near-certain to miss his reward-shipping estimate date.

It's already more than halfway backed - it will probably hit goal in the first twenty-four hours.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:56:22 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
i must admit, I do like this. Like don said though, it's way to expensive. I'm assuming it's not limited, so why the high price?! 
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 03:22:52 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Far too expensive.
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 03:46:42 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I'm in on these in a big, big way. I really like them, the currency/engraving idea is great. In addition to cards, I'm a currency collector as we, so this hits me on two fronts.

Funding is screaming along!

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 08:08:11 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
i must admit, I do like this. Like don said though, it's way to expensive. I'm assuming it's not limited, so why the high price?! 

Practically every deck made through Kickstarter is limited in some sense of the term, whether intentional or otherwise.  Limited funding period, a single print run - these are part and parcel there.  Most are intentionally limited.

But still, we know roughly what a deck costs to make at USPC.  Factor in a little profit for the artist, naturally, but that's still a huge markup.  Granted, shipping is included, but $15 for one custom deck - even including shipping within the US - is something I don't generally see from the big companies, even for their "short run" decks.  Why would I pay that to an unknown who doesn't even have a completed design?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:09:18 PM by Don Boyer »

Re: Bicycle Federal 52 (KS)
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
In theory, US r paying $15 for the deck AND shipping. The way I see it, international r paying $15 just for the deck. How much is normally charged for shipping within US?! Average $3? If I just use that as an example, they're charging $12 for a deck without shipping, yet international r getting charged more for the deck without shipping. The deck should cost the same, no? Unless they took it all into account and they're actually charging $10 for shipping, instead of $7 but just wrote $7 to draw in backers? Does any of this make sense? Lol
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:17:58 AM by brownmagician »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 11:32:29 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
This is a beautiful deck with impeccable execution. I'm so happy that there are still quality KS decks  :D

The one-way court cards are not an issue for me, but I'm sure Jackson will be receptive to all the suggestions about the one-way back. I'm excited to see more from him, and his deck could reach Pedale Design levels.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2013, 03:04:46 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
he should not change his 1 way back.  he has chosen a single point.  "52"  most modern decks have a duel point.  what the genius is the "52" looks like a duel point.  next ppl will tell him "text" is not allowed on backs.  it's fine the way it is.  and his one way court cards.  "Really"  those don't need to change either; he has a solid deck.  Behold, the next pedale. 

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 05:47:19 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
This is a beautiful deck.
I don't know about you guys, but I LOVE decks with this magnitude of detail and customization. Notice how the king's hair is styled like the king on a standard playing card?

What's up with that deck seal?

It's the design for a previous project of his, Kings wild. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1722808047/kings-wild-t-shirt?ref=users

Kind of like his company logo.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2013, 09:51:08 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
In theory, US r paying $15 for the deck AND shipping. The way I see it, international r paying $15 just for the deck. How much is normally charged for shipping within US?! Average $3? If I just use that as an example, they're charging $12 for a deck without shipping, yet international r getting charged more for the deck without shipping. The deck should cost the same, no? Unless they took it all into account and they're actually charging $10 for shipping, instead of $7 but just wrote $7 to draw in backers? Does any of this make sense? Lol

The $15 is for the cost of the deck, yes, and domestic shipping.  The added $7 is an addition to the cost of the shipping to get it to your international destination.  At least that's how most people price it out.

Shipping by US Postal Service for a half-pound package is roughly $2.00-$2.50 via First Class Mail (the lowest grade available) using an envelope.  Shipping overseas to the UK costs roughly $8.00.  Both prices don't include any form of tracking, which many people use to insure packages go where they're supposed to.

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 06:27:34 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
jackson - if you can get MagikFingera to buy one of your decks, you got something. he is like the CEO of Tighwads International Shipping.   
he is the pulse of international shipping.

I can't believe you all don't see it? the back works so well. i've seen lots of backs and normally "1 back backs" don't look good and are a distraction. this back is not a distraction. http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/.................... he doesn't need to change anything.

also, don't change your border corners. can i call them that? like "fluff items". i like badges and ribbons. don't change the border corners either; it goes well with the "1 way back"

I would like to see more court cards. noticed your king was different on each side. keep it up with that differences in the court cards. i think that is the future. especially if you can tell a story within the court cards.

food for thought. any more quotes from Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain makes my middle finger get a bonner. seems like "Really" is the new catch phrase. and have you noticed the word "Basically" is used.....
ATTACHMENTS

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 06:54:13 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Hate that he went Bicycle. Hate the Box. Hate the one-way back design (with that giant '52' in the middle. Euuuuggghhhh.

Love everything else. These things have the potential to be brilliant in the right hands. He just needs direction from someone who knows playing cards. That King of Spades is wicked. One-way, obviously, but wicked. If he was to ditch the box, back design and Bicycle - he'd hit Pedale Design levels of backing, and be able to make them for much cheaper (USPCC take a nice royalty for use of the word 'Bicycle'.) I would actually pledge hard on these if it weren't for those three minor fails.

-J.

Agreed on the one-way design. Huge huge huge let down. Huge. Karrit huge.  :karrit:
Forum Founder.

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 06:56:13 PM »

JimmyJohns

• True Member
jackson - if you can get MagikFingera to buy one of your decks, you got something. he is like the CEO of Tighwads International Shipping.   
he is the pulse of international shipping.

I can't believe you all don't see it? the back works so well. i've seen lots of backs and normally "1 back backs" don't look good and are a distraction. this back is not a distraction. http://a.trionfi.eu/WWPCM/.................... he doesn't need to change anything.

also, don't change your border corners. can i call them that? like "fluff items". i like badges and ribbons. don't change the border corners either; it goes well with the "1 way back"

I would like to see more court cards. noticed your king was different on each side. keep it up with that differences in the court cards. i think that is the future. especially if you can tell a story within the court cards.

food for thought. any more quotes from Abraham Lincoln or Mark Twain makes my middle finger get a bonner. seems like "Really" is the new catch phrase. and have you noticed the word "Basically" is used.....
ATTACHMENTS

Ahem...slow down... and maybe try some Decaf...

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 11:22:42 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Update:

Thank you to everyone for all of your incredible support. I am super excited to release the first new card design, The Ace of Clubs. I am also exited to announce that with the release of each new Ace I will be making available 100 decks available at the $11 pledge tier, at 12pm Pacific. I will be calling these limited releases "Celebration Decks"

Just to be sure these are the exact same Federal 52 decks. There is nothing different or unique about these specific decks. It is just a way for me to say thank you to all of you out there who are supporting me, and encouraging me.

This is a list of the cards that when released, will be followed by a Celebration deck pledge tier. So when you get an update for these cards be ready for the release an hour or so later. I will be doing these at random times, so I can make it possible for backers around the world to take part.

Ace of Clubs / Ace of Hearts / Ace of Diamonds / Joker 1 / Joker 2

I was lucky enough to nab one.  ;D
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 10:33:32 PM »

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
"what are you talking about" @utter fool. everything is borrowed. that is how you make new inventions. it just so happens Jackson "didn't reinvent the wheel; he just put rockets on it".

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 11:49:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
"what are you talking about" @utter fool. everything is borrowed. that is how you make new inventions. it just so happens Jackson "didn't reinvent the wheel; he just put rockets on it".

I don't wish to sound rude here, but at first I was thinking that perhaps English isn't your primary language.  Now, you're addressing messages to a user that HASN'T POSTED to this topic...

Either start making some sense or take it to the LOLAQ, if you would, please.

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 12:09:42 AM »

GBAllison

• Forum Regular
Sprouts was replying to a posting on UC ... I guess it's been a long day (been there, but not quite done that just yet :-)

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
There is a new 2-way back design.