You are Here:
Anime/Manga

Author (Read 6922 times)

Anime/Manga
« on: March 04, 2012, 03:59:08 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Some of us were talking about anime in another thread, so I decided to open up a new topic about it.

I'm watching Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail for the long ones. I also watch new 12-ep (normally) short ones that come out every season. Though cause I don't like to wait a whole week for a new episode, I watch those from the previous season.

How about you?

What do you guys watch?
 Why did you start watching?

Re: Anime
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:37:31 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I don't like Anime in general but there's a few I really enjoyed; Akira, Princess Mononoke... GITS 2: Innocence is one of my favourite movies of all time.

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:47:27 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
  • "Why go through the world unnoticed?" -

• YouTube:

Anime and MANGA! I <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manga = Skip Beat and Addicted to curry

Anime = I'm not watching any right now because I dont have time to watch, but I'd like to finish naruto, and re-watch Fushigi Yuugi and maybe Vandread. I'd like to watch Fairy Tail and finish the last epi of Evangelion (although i didnt like it so much)

I have a long list of anime faves!!  speaking of which does anyone cosplay here? :P

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 11:51:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I think my favorite anime were Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, most of the movies of Hayao Miyazaki, Love Hina, Azumanga Daioh, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku and there's more that I can't remember right now.  My fiancee's apartment, now my apartment as well, is rather small for three people (her youngest son is only 12 and lives with us).  My manga tastes were pretty similar, and I did occasionally read some shoujo, if it wasn't too over the top!  Yes, folks, I have a romantic side!  Sometimes I even watch chick flicks - one of my favorite movies is "The Truth About Cats and Dogs"; I'm a big fan of Janeane Garofalo, even watched her on stage in a small theater a few times!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 12:25:05 AM »

shutupdangit

• Elite Member
Watched a lot of anime as a kid, stuff like Saber Marionette J, Outlaw Star, Gundam, Dragonball, among other stuff on Cartoon Network, and various Miyazaki films. The only manga I really got into was Rurouni Kenshin.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:37:49 AM »

Frost

• Discourse Royalty
I like bleach but i haven't been seeing it lately that's the only anime show i like .

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:06:10 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Seems like not many active anime watchers here?

If you're looking to get into it, depending on what you like, I could give some recommendations!

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 01:16:08 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:
Right now I'm watching School Rumble again. ^_^ Its such a nice series, makes me wish I went to a regular highschool instead of being homeschooled.

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 01:10:20 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
I used to watch a lot of anime, but I've been more into Korean drama lately. ::)
I watched a lot of them, but I think the only ones I'd be willing to watch again today would be Death Note and maybe D.Gray-Man, though I prefer reading the manga.

I have a long list of anime faves!!  speaking of which does anyone cosplay here? :P
I have the interest but not the money and motivation... and the convention I used to go to got boring over the years. Besides, my ex goes every year and I don't really want to see her.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 06:22:27 PM »

ItsMagicITellYou~

• True Member

Anime and MANGA! I <3 <3 <3 <3 <3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Manga = Skip Beat and Addicted to curry

Anime = I'm not watching any right now because I dont have time to watch, but I'd like to finish naruto, and re-watch Fushigi Yuugi and maybe Vandread. I'd like to watch Fairy Tail and finish the last epi of Evangelion (although i didnt like it so much)

OH MY GOD. i love skip beat AND addicted to curry! lol i thought i was the only one who read AtC
others include death note (duh), monster, bleach, vampire knight, zettai kareshi, doubt, and my favorite would have to be liar game ^.^

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:09:35 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

If you're looking to get into it, depending on what you like, I could give some recommendations!

Alright, I'll bite.  Posted my tastes above... I like a lot of Japanese horror (Silent Hill 1-4 were just spectacular).  I will say that other anime I've seen, I've felt is shallow and poorly written (Spirited Away... sorry, personal opinion; I know a lot of people love it and I guess I understand why but it was a complete non-experience for me; I don't think it's a good movie) or just downright juvenile and irritating (Vampire Hunter D... just awful), so you may have your work cut out for you.

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 08:20:35 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity

To reply in this thread is as difficult as to reply in the "Ultimate Custom Brick" for me. :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck:

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:17 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Right now I'm watching School Rumble again. ^_^ Its such a nice series, makes me wish I went to a regular highschool instead of being homeschooled.

I loved School Rumble! Wish there're more to it then just the 3 seasons and OVA.

OH MY GOD. i love skip beat AND addicted to curry! lol i thought i was the only one who read AtC
others include death note (duh), monster, bleach, vampire knight, zettai kareshi, doubt, and my favorite would have to be liar game ^.^

I didn't enjoy vampire knight that well. Did you watch the drama for Zettai Kareshi? Liar game was well drawn, and filmed. The drama was actually what caught my attention to it.

Alright, I'll bite.  Posted my tastes above... I like a lot of Japanese horror (Silent Hill 1-4 were just spectacular).  I will say that other anime I've seen, I've felt is shallow and poorly written (Spirited Away... sorry, personal opinion; I know a lot of people love it and I guess I understand why but it was a complete non-experience for me; I don't think it's a good movie) or just downright juvenile and irritating (Vampire Hunter D... just awful), so you may have your work cut out for you.

Horror eh? Have you tried Hell Sing? But it's on vampire slaying too. Shiki was a common one, I haven't watched but I heard some people said it was not bad. Usually Japanese anime don't down the horror path. That's probably there aren't many famous ones out there.

To reply in this thread is as difficult as to reply in the "Ultimate Custom Brick" for me. :mindf-ck: :mindf-ck:

Lol why, too hard to pick out the ones you love?

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 09:32:33 PM »

DeckReview

• Elite Member

• YouTube:
I recently bought all the orange dragon ball z boxes. I also enjoyed pokemon when I was younger. Yugioh was cool for a while until all my friends quit the game.  >:(

My favorite anime has to be initial d though  8)
www.youtube.com/deckreview
The simplist card reviews on youtube

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 09:55:27 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I've seen bits of Hellsing.  I thought it was really cheesy. Akira, Mononoke and GITS 2: Innocence are the only Anime I've enjoyed but I thought Innocence was one of the best films I've ever seen, definitely top 5 so I'd like to find something else that good but haven't seen anything come close yet.  I've seen the original (pretty good, not great) and  SAC (not for me).

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 01:41:32 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
LoL. Skip Beat rocks. Its more of a chick anime but after I watched the first episode, I couldnt let go because its so damn funny.

Haven't been watching anime lately but I've been reading a shit load of manga. I'm always updated with Naruto, Bleach, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, One Piece, and Hunter X Hunter(though the story line is kinda going downhill).

All time anime favorites are:
Initial D (Anime for the Big Boys)  :D
Trigun
Prince of Tennis
Midori no Hibi
Skip Beat
School Rumble
Rouroni Kenshin
Death Note
Slam Dunk (I still wish they continued the anime series)
Gate Keepers
Hajime no Ippo
Fate Stay Knight
Elfen Lied (Might be too gory for some)
School Days (R18 and kinda gory too)
Hyakka Ryouran
Ichigo 100%
Samurai 7
Eyeshield 21
Gundam Wing and Seed
Shadow Skill
Dual: A parallel dimension

There's probably more but I'm going to stop at that. I'm a sucker for the japanese culture  :P
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 01:48:56 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
I see Fate Stay Night. Are you watching Fate/Zero? Part 2 releasing in Q2.

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2012, 03:33:04 AM »

kensei777

• Forum Regular
  • Card Technician and Noob Playing Cards Collector

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I see Fate Stay Night. Are you watching Fate/Zero? Part 2 releasing in Q2.

Nope, not yet. Been really busy so I don't really have the time to watch anything . I will though once I have more free time.  :-\
I prefer hand written signatures over digital ones but the ink appears to be stuck on my monitor screen...

- Emman Refuerzo aka Kensei777

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2012, 03:38:23 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
Definitely worth watching!

I've got a recommendation. It's called Angel Beats. Short 13-ep+1 OVA. Interesting plot with twists here and there.

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 04:22:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
LoL. Skip Beat rocks. Its more of a chick anime but after I watched the first episode, I couldnt let go because its so damn funny.

Haven't been watching anime lately but I've been reading a shit load of manga. I'm always updated with Naruto, Bleach, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, One Piece, and Hunter X Hunter(though the story line is kinda going downhill).

All time anime favorites are:
Initial D (Anime for the Big Boys)  :D
Trigun
Prince of Tennis
Midori no Hibi
Skip Beat
School Rumble
Rouroni Kenshin
Death Note
Slam Dunk (I still wish they continued the anime series)
Gate Keepers
Hajime no Ippo
Fate Stay Knight
Elfen Lied (Might be too gory for some)
School Days (R18 and kinda gory too)
Hyakka Ryouran
Ichigo 100%
Samurai 7
Eyeshield 21
Gundam Wing and Seed
Shadow Skill
Dual: A parallel dimension

There's probably more but I'm going to stop at that. I'm a sucker for the japanese culture  :P

I got a big laugh or two watching Dual!  Another fun favorite was You're Under Arrest - I have all the series in addition to the movie.  What I loved about the US release of the series was that the company that got the license to make the US dub threw in a metric ton of extras and really showed the behind-the-scenes view of dubbing for animations with both the American and Japanese voice actors.

I just wish they did more anime dubbing in the New York area - I'd do it in a heartbeat.  Last time I checked, only a few hentai-oriented companies were dubbing here...on that, I think I'll pass, thanks.  Not that I don't enjoy it when it's done well, but would you want your voice forever associated with some hentai character?  Especially since most of the guy characters in them tend to be on the creepy side?

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 04:58:48 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Air Gear
Ao no blue exorcist ( highly recommeded season ended though)
Beelzebub (some might like it well i like it )
bleach
Code Geass( Nice i really like .. season 2 last ep i act cry after seeing what lelouch did .. it has season 1 and 2 and if i am not wrong season 3 is coming out )
Deadman wonderland(some might like it some might not )
Daily life of hight school boy( comedy very funny but some joke i dun get it )
Fairy tail
Guilty crown
hellsing
naruto
naruto shippuden
nurarihyon no mago
nurarihyon no mago sennen Makyou
onepiece
persona 4 ( not bad it a game made into a anime)
Shakugan no shana( my friend introduced me this anime but i dun really know whether if it nice as i am watching the season 1 and the quality of the video suck so i dun really watch it .. but recently a new season came out )
Toriko ( kinda like one piece)
that all the anime i could remember mostly of them i like it

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »

Belk

• Cardistry nut
One piece is amazing right behind that is hitman reborn, elfen lied was deep, FLCL is by far the funniest anime. Naruto is alright, The original series was dry and filler ridden. Yu Yu hakusho is a good oldie, cow boy bebop is brilliant and really sad. Death note is worth watching. Code geass is my favorite. I watch too much anime.
Disregard women, acquire playing cards. :p

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 11:44:09 AM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
It's never too much!
You should add fairy tail to your list though.

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 02:58:15 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I'm ever so slowly working through the Pokemon series, trying a bit of nostalgia on for size :P
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 06:08:04 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
Ya hitman reborn are great .. i think season 2 is coming out soon

« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
This is my list.

Doraemon : Who doesn't love this blue cat?
Detective Conan
Magic Kaito
Yaiba mask
Yonban Sado
One piece : This is the most famous Manga in Japan
Bleach
Kindaichi : detective story

Hmmm, actually there are a lot more that I read.

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 11:57:33 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer

So that's the list of manga you read? Was more aiming to talk about anime but this'll work too. Do you read in Japn or Thai or Eng?
I always thought anime could give me a stronger feel of the story than manga, simply cause you actually see the actions. But I hate it when they put in extra things in between episodes and drag it out long. >.<

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 12:21:58 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

So that's the list of manga you read? Was more aiming to talk about anime but this'll work too. Do you read in Japn or Thai or Eng?
I always thought anime could give me a stronger feel of the story than manga, simply cause you actually see the actions. But I hate it when they put in extra things in between episodes and drag it out long. >.<

I read it in all Thai, Japanese English.
For English, I read it online sometimes when I want to read new episodes.
For Japanese, I buy only the manga I like
For Thai, I buy a lot of manga in thai - It's cheap.

Additional to my list above

Deathnote
Pluto
Detective Q

P.S. I don't usually watch anime. Just only the big project that doesn't covered in books.

« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 01:07:05 PM »

digipunk

• Discourse Deity
Doraemon : Who doesn't love this blue cat?

Someone doesn't like it. When I asked "Hello Kitty or Doraemon" in "This or That", a bad guy said Hello Kitty.
Since 40 years ago, kids in Taiwan are growing up with Doraemon comics and anime.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:23:17 PM by digipunk »

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2012, 04:19:34 AM »

kc62002

• Newcomer
I've never really cared to watch anime but a couple of months ago i decided to watch a show called Sgt Frog on netflix. Is that considered anime? I would assume so since it's from japan but don't hate me if i'm wrong on that. The style seems like anime to me but again i'm no expert. It's pretty funny and i'm going to watch all the episodes at some point. I usually watch 2 or 3 a week.

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2012, 07:56:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've never really cared to watch anime but a couple of months ago i decided to watch a show called Sgt Frog on netflix. Is that considered anime? I would assume so since it's from japan but don't hate me if i'm wrong on that. The style seems like anime to me but again i'm no expert. It's pretty funny and i'm going to watch all the episodes at some point. I usually watch 2 or 3 a week.

It's an anime based on a manga by Ken Akamatsu of the same name (at least here in the States).  One of his biggest manga was "Love Hina", also made into an anime series with (if I remember correctly) a two-season show, an OVA and two specials, the Summer Special and the Holiday Special.  Good stuff, but not for pre-teens!

Anime and Cosplay
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:

Hey guys, I'm kinda reviving this topic because I don't want to start a new one just for cosplay whatever. I just wanted to share with you all my recent cosplay convention that I went to and actually dressed up in a costume.
I've been to other events but I was always just a spectator, but this time around for the first time ever I went and cosplayed as Perona. :P

So I want to know what you all think :P (please be kind) it was a last minute thing. My sister and I was only informed of it the night before so we had to make do with what we had available at home ^-^

Here is the link.

http://thinspirationaljourney.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/day-31-33-goal-weight-2-achieved-watch-me-cosplay-too/

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Those action shots are badass
Forum Founder.

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 12:39:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
You and your sis looked great!  Where was that con?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:40:02 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 02:32:20 AM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:

Thanks @alex and @Don!

@Don - The Con was held here in Beijing, at the Agricultural Exhibition Center.
It was a small one but I had tons of fun. It brought back so much memories from when I was younger. **sigh** my concealed love for anime has now been unleashed hahaha! Super obsessing on it atm. :(

« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 02:57:03 AM »

Utterfool

• Elite Member
  • " I have nothing to declare except my folly"

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• last.fm:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• Windows Live:
I have a question for you Lara

do they have professional cosplayers in China
When I was in Japan at one of the way to many Comikets I attended, I met a woman who was a professional cosplayer.
I found out that some people in Japan , men and women (although mostly women) get paid a good deal of money to cosplay.
I am not talking about "Booth Babes" here. Women who get hired to stand around in outfits and look pretty. These are people who for a living design and make their own , and sometimes others, real like , extremely intricate and often amazing anime costumes.
I know there are people here in the US who make there own costumes and sometimes sell them, I even had a friend who moved it into a career (by getting a job with costume design at Cirque de soliel, not profesional cosplayer) but I have never seen anyone in the US do it professionally.
So I was curious if it happened in other asian countries or just Japan.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 02:57:45 AM by Utterfool »

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 08:07:18 PM »

zaganh

• Discourse Deity
  • Hakuna matata feet up sippin java ^^

• Facebook:

• YouTube:
i watch another its really creepy also i wath naruto guyver lovely complex bleach shaman king i love the studi ghibli anime too so heartwarming and beautifull plus the most epic anime film i have seen in a while is welcome to the space show its amazing

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »

Lara Krystle "Lane"

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

• YouTube:

Kuroshitsuji is amazing! both manga and anime. And they will start filming for the live action movie as well! So excited!
Phantom Rouge (hunter x hunter) the Movie will be aired in Japan on the 12th of January 2013.

Did anyone watch Rorouni Kenshin Live action movie? It was AWESOME!

interesting anime/manga?
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2013, 10:11:35 PM »

magnacat

i was wondering what people here are watching /reading when it comes to anime and manga?  :-\
it's not really difficult to find something to watch, but having seen so much, i like to have recommendations when i get ready to consider new series (or stories). if you are really enjoying a show, or a book, please mention a little bit about it, such as what it's about, who's writing it, producing it, is it a drama/comedy/scifi/etc., or a combination?  ::)
feel free to mention favorites as well, it will give an idea of what your tastes lean towards... although, it may be hard to nail that down, with so many different types of stories in anime and manga- at least it is for me.

myself, at the moment, i'm watching Last Exile- Fam, The Silver Wing, and getting ready to switch from the manga to the anime of Attack on Titan. speaking of AoT, does anyone know how many episodes this series is going to run? (in the american release of the manga, i have only seen up to book 7, but it appears the anime is a bit beyond this already...) of course, i'm also keeping up with One Piece, starting Shippuden, finishing SAO, and rewatching a bunch of old favorites. (and some that are not even close to favorites, that my friends want me to watch with them)  :mindf-ck:

i have some questions, as well, if anyone can help out...
i'm wondering if anyone has seen the new Berserk movies... if so, how are they? do these contain new details, or are they just movie versions of stories from the manga? or do they include less, like the original anime series?

reading/considering (the short list)
Berserk
Blade of the Immortal
AoT
Vagabond
Loveless
/
Dogs
Biomega (enjoyed Blame!)
Yagyu Ninja Scrolls (what does this have to do with Basalisk, if anything?)

btw, i read the first GTO series- are the other spin-offs/prequels any good?  i'm also wondering if you have already read Claymore, is it worth it to watch it? does anyone know any details about all the "Alice in the kingdom of" mangas?

i'd like to know if anyone has seen Michiko and Hatchin.. with the people working on this, it has me very curious. i'd also like to know if anyone knows anything about the new GITS series.  :karrit:

i currently have subscriptions to crunchyroll, and hulu plus, if anyone has recommendations that they know are on these services... i can always try finding anything else through rightstuf!.com, if not. although, if you bring up something you think is awesome, and know a good place to find it, please mention it, or provide a link!

:D thanks everybody!   :bosswalk:
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 10:24:42 PM by magnacat »

Re: Anime/Manga
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2013, 12:01:53 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Magnacat, I hope you don't mind, but I merged your topic with a previously-existing topic on the same general subject.

I haven't done much anime watching or manga reading in a while, but when I did, some of my favorites were Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, Yotsuba&!, Trigun, Love Hina, Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikkoku and I'm sure there's a lot more I'm just not recalling at the moment.  Right now, though, the entire collection with the exception of one GITS Blu-Ray is in storage.  The apartment's too small, and having one collection in it is enough for my wife - I have about 800 discs in storage, about half of which are anime.

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2013, 12:26:41 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Ah, Ghost in the Shell, one of my all time favorites  :D

Still one of my all time favorite covers too....
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 12:29:30 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2013, 01:02:11 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ah, Ghost in the Shell, one of my all time favorites  :D

Still one of my all time favorite covers too....

That cover's from one of the later manga series - GITS: Man-Machine Interface.  I always found the anime more accessible than the manga when it came to GITS.  Shirow tends to go off a bit on tangents and pack massive amounts of detail into an area that's too small to appreciate it all - and it's especially difficult to appreciate it when it's black-and-white.

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2013, 01:18:06 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
and it's especially difficult to appreciate it when it's black-and-white

Ya that was a constant complaint at the time, maybe still is, I didn't mind it very much, the drawings were still phenomenal and I loved the story lines.

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2013, 05:11:42 AM »

magnacat

@Don- i don't mind you merging it at all, i just hope there is someone who can answer a couple of those (many) questions!  ???
i very much agree with you on CowBe, Trigun, and GITS most of all... i'm very curious about the new GITS series i saw a disc from a couple months ago...
@Sparkz- Man Machine Interface was an awesome book- fortunately, when i wanted to give a copy of it as a gift to a girl i was seeing, along with copies of the 1st GITS book, and GITS 1.5- Human-Error Processor, there was another printing (a larger book, with blown-up images) of the first book, and MMI, that were slightly edited- keeping me from looking like a perv for putting these in her hands (while MMI isn't so bad, if she had started reading with the first book, as one should, i don't think the beginning would have been very cool for her... [maybe had it not been the first set of manga i gave her, and were i not 32 while she was 20 at the time, it wouldn't have been as bad]).   :P

well, i guess since others were doing this on the thread this was merged with, i might as well mention some of the stuff i'm into...

as for anime series-
wolf's rain (one of my cats is named Darcia)
d. gray man, deadman wonderland
darker than black, one piece
naruto, naruto shippuden
attack on titan
bleach (hooray! Ulquiorra!)
bubblegum crisis 2040
gankutsuou, basalisk
mushi shi, moribito
ninja scroll (duh)
serial experiments: lain
appleseed, and a.s. ex machina
last exile (my first cosplay was alex row- this was awesome, as i didn't have to do anything to look like him, other than dress the part... "being" him was the challenge. i was waaay excited, and spent close to a thousand bucks having a silversmith make me items for the outfit.  :mindf-ck: i now display them, and i sometimes wear the whole uniform for fun. 8) )
last exile: fam- the silver wing
samurai champloo, air gear
mezzo, burst angel
haibane renmei,
sword art online
heat guy j, kaze no yojimbo
voices of a distant star
the place promised in our early days
everything from Hayao Miyazaki / studio ghibli (got my Grandmother interested in anime by watching totoro, castle in the sky, and the cat returns with her. )
trigun, perfect blue
ergo proxy, samurai 7
fullmetal alchemist/ fma: brotherhood
berserk, kino's journey
hakkenden, gungrave
blue sub 6, big o 1 & 2
rurouni kenshin / samurai x
metropolis, eden of the east series and movies
elfin lied, coyote ragtime show
soul eater, jyu-oh-sei
s.d. kyo, escaflowne
hellsing, deathnote
king of bandit jing
gunslinger girl and pt. 2
cowboy bebop, witch hunter robin
casshern sins, x tv
samurai gun, sword of the stranger
-and on and on... but i'm starting to have trouble not repeating what i'm thinking of, so here at 3:48am, i'll leave it at these. i have lost my link to the site i wrote my list at a few years ago... i need to update it, too. does anyone know the site where you find and list your watched/watching/going to watch anime?  :-\

a few manga i've enjoyed-
gto, deathnote
trigun maximum
blade of the immortal
vagabond, hero
shirahime-syo
king of wolves, and japan (both these by the creator of berserk, kentaro miura)
rebirth, loveless
ragnarok, basalisk
claymore, blame!
berserk, bleach
zombie powder, anne*freaks
dogs, full metal panic
biomega, gits 1 , 1.5, and 2
bobobo-bo bo-bobo
samurai executioner
k.o.b. jing, k.o.b.j. twilight tales
lone wolf and cub
cowboy bebop- shooting star
chobits, s.d. kyo
gunslinger girl, Es
now, the demon ororon
black cat
and many others- sometimes shonen jump was somewhat fun as well...  :P

boy, it seems it's actually kinda fun to type out an excessive amount of titles you're into once in a while. lol...
anywak, these are some of my more recent favorites... (strangely enough, i love cards, and i love anime, but i have absolutely no desire whatsoever to own a deck of licensed anime playing cards. why is that?  :o )
while i'd still like replies to my earlier questions, i'm also curious as to what everyone's favorite anime's are when it comes to the music they make for the shows. i'm sure a fan of Yoko Kanno myself, but i also have so much music from anime soundtracks on my MP3 player, i can listen to it for hours and hours and not hear the same track twice. [=)]

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2013, 01:34:56 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
magnacat

If you haven't had the chance, check out Hellsing, the manga version; it's a lot better than the first tv series in terms of both story, action and art or check out the recent OVA Hellsing Ultimate, a more faithful adaptation of the manga series. There's also Blood Blockade Battlefront (manga) by Yasuhiro Nightow that's a lot of the crazy over the top action of the Trigun manga.

For anime there's 5 centimeters per second, Children Who Chase Lost Voices and The Garden of Words (which is amazingly beautiful) by the same director/write of Voices of a Distant Star; like a lot of his work, all the movies deal with relationships between people. The Girl who Leapt through Time is another fun movie to watch. The recent adaptation of Hunter x Hunter looks really good and is a fun shounen series. Gundam Unicorn (OVA) is another great new series; lot of robot fighting fun and it looks amazing.

I'm not sure sure what else to suggestion as I've gotten to the stage where I'm really really picky about what I watch, read and buy.

« Reply #45 on: November 11, 2013, 11:39:02 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Hayao Miyazaki may be my favorite director of all time.

Beyond his movies, I don't watch as much anime as I did a few years back. I watched Bleach, but everything got silly as soon as they got to the Bount arc. I finished Deadman Wonderland, got bored of Ghost Hunt, watched Umineko No Naku Koro Ni until it got ridiculous, finished Soul Eater, and watched a bunch of other sub-par anime. I'm watching Evangelion right now, and it's amazing. I tried finishing Higurashi, but it has as many parallel universes as Umineko. It's great, but it makes my brain hurt.

I also used to be super addicted to manga. I had bookshelves full of the stuff, but I condensed it down to a few of my favorites.  The first Excel Saga, an old Yen+ I got for Christmas, a few Shonen Jump, and some other stuff. I've read the entire series of HunterXHunter, Black Cat, Fullmetal Alchemist, Jing: King of Bandits (that one was great), and Ranma 1/2.

I had waaaaaaaay too much time on my hands.

Also, this mofo.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:41:19 PM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2013, 01:10:42 PM »

magnacat

@MRMollusk-
if you did enjoy Jing, you should check out Jing KOB: Twilight Tales. it's very good as well, and if you don't have as much free time as you used to, one 7 book series shouldn't hurt too much. ;)
i really liked a lot of stuff about Jing, but the cities and the cultures within were always pretty cool. also, if you haven't already seen it, besides the anime for Jing, there is a movie called Seventh Heaven. )been meaning to get around to watching that, actually.(

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2013, 11:13:01 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
@MRMollusk-
if you did enjoy Jing, you should check out Jing KOB: Twilight Tales. it's very good as well, and if you don't have as much free time as you used to, one 7 book series shouldn't hurt too much. ;)
i really liked a lot of stuff about Jing, but the cities and the cultures within were always pretty cool. also, if you haven't already seen it, besides the anime for Jing, there is a movie called Seventh Heaven. )been meaning to get around to watching that, actually.(

I actually did read one of the Twilight Tales books. I think it was the one about the art city, with all the paint?
I loved the style, but I could never get my hands on another one past that.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2013, 08:28:06 PM »

magnacat

@MRMollusk-

I actually did read one of the Twilight Tales books. I think it was the one about the art city, with all the paint?
I loved the style, but I could never get my hands on another one past that.

if you are still interested in reading it, i did a little searching in some places i know of, and i managed to find books 1-4 and 6 at "right stuf!", for anound 4$ to $10. (but be quick, they have as few as 2 of some of them)
i also found all the books at amazon, where they are available new and used starting at $0.01!  :o
last, if you find you have no other choice, and don't mind reading a manga this way, check out manga365...
btw, sorry i can't post links, i don't know how to do so using my xbox360 for this.   :-\

also, if you are looking for mostly manga (though they do have a ton of anime, and other related stuff...), www.animecornerstore.com has a really good selection, but no Jing at all...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:30:02 PM by magnacat »