Splatter deck
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I started this design a little while ago and sort of gave up but I'm starting up with it again. Its kinda tough because I barely know anything about photoshop and I'm working with Photoshop 6.0

The theme is paint. I plan on having custom court cards, custom pips, and of course a custom AoS.
Here is what I have so far... its very basic right now but i'm pretty much stuck because I'm creative but not a good artist...

Re: Splatter deck
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:35:32 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
This could be a very promising design with some improvements! What program do you use? Seems to me that a better program would make it look better already... ::)
I had an idea going on that is somewhat related to yours, but I'm not gonna say anything, I wouldn't want our concepts to mix up and mine becoming useless in the future.
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:57:15 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm using Photoshop 6.0
Lol its pretty old

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 07:11:49 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
It looks like another version of the Vortex back. I like it, especially the fading. Perhaps add a more fancy border.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:32:49 PM »

moonexe

• Lurker

• Facebook:
The symmetry is a bit too obvious though, maybe add more variation in the splatter directions or something... And you'd have to add more splatters obviously, one is not enough. ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 07:34:44 PM by Moon.exe »
Grin like a Cheshire cat, and remember: we're all mad here.

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 12:22:50 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK, I envision this:

All four pips made from small splatters of paint forming pip shapes.
Spot cards: pips in semi-random order, as though formed from spilled paint.  Supplemental ink splatters in colors from the Court cards (not red or black) small enough to be background and not take center stage from the pips.
Jacks: house painters with overalls, plaid shirts, painters' caps and roller brushes/house painting brushes.
Queens and Kings: fine art painters with painter's smocks, berets and medium/fine art brushes and pallets.
Jokers, spilled paint cans, rainbow-colored puddle, multicolor paw prints and two pets, a dog on one, a cat on the other, walking out of frame.

Background: painter's dropcloth canvas white with texture instead of plain white.

Feel free to plagiarize from me at will - hopefully this will spark your creativity a bit.  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 12:25:42 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
OK, I envision this:

Spot cards: pips in semi-random order, as though formed from spilled paint.  Supplemental ink splatters in colors from the Court cards (not red or black) small enough to be background and not take center stage from the pips.
Jacks: house painters with overalls, plaid shirts, painters' caps and roller brushes/house painting brushes.
Queens and Kings: fine art painters with painter's smocks, berets and medium/fine art brushes and pallets.
Jokers, spilled paint cans, rainbow-colored puddle, multicolor paw prints and two pets, a dog on one, a cat on the other, walking out of frame.

Background: painter's dropcloth canvas white with texture instead of plain white.

Feel free to plagiarize from me at will - hopefully this will spark your creativity a bit.  :))
Wow! Thanks for the help! Its not how I envisioned it but I like the ideas.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 01:55:26 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
OK, I envision this:

Feel free to plagiarize from me at will - hopefully this will spark your creativity a bit.
Wow! Thanks for the help! Its not how I envisioned it but I like the ideas.

Thanks.  What was the version you had envisioned?  Tell us more about it.  Your idea could possibly be better than mine, or a synthesis of the two might make for a better deck.

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 02:20:12 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'm not sure about court cards but I was thinking that the numbers in the corners would be brush strokes. And maybe all of the pips would be brush strokes (not sure)
I havent really thought about court cards
And I'm going to keep the AoS a secret for now  ;)

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 02:25:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I'm not sure about court cards but I was thinking that the numbers in the corners would be brush strokes. And maybe all of the pips would be brush strokes (not sure)

Well, how about this AoS idea: a house painter is tossing a can full of black paint at the canvas, making an intricate splatter pattern forming the Ace?

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 02:27:52 AM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

Well, how about this AoS idea: a house painter is tossing a can full of black paint at the canvas, making an intricate splatter pattern forming the Ace?
Thats a neat idea. I just wouldn't be able to do it. At my current skill level with Photoshop, I won't be able to make this deck. I need a lot of practice and learning

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 03:46:19 AM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
There's no rush! I think if you do decide to work on this deck you need to make sure that it is very intricate in the back design. Splatters aren't often symmetrical so it's important that you take your time so it doesn't look cheesy or something like that. It has potential though.

Be open to others ideas but do your own thing!
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 06:46:08 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Also, don't forget that you can have a brilliant idea and no talent at all - as long as you have a collaborator with adequate skills for the task.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 07:19:39 AM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
If you haven't already, you should google Roy Lichtenstein's brush stroke paintings. He had a phase where all he made were paintings and sculptures based on brush strokes and splatters.

Lictenstein's one of my favorite artists, which is why I paid homage to him in the 10 of diamonds card I made.

Also, don't fret about your photoshop skills. I don't even have photoshop, illustrator, etc., but I did ok. Don't underestimate the power of freehand art!

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
If you haven't already, you should google Roy Lichtenstein's brush stroke paintings. He had a phase where all he made were paintings and sculptures based on brush strokes and splatters.

Lictenstein's one of my favorite artists, which is why I paid homage to him in the 10 of diamonds card I made.

Also, don't fret about your photoshop skills. I don't even have photoshop, illustrator, etc., but I did ok. Don't underestimate the power of freehand art!
I'll definitely google him.
Also, I'd never be able to hand draw it. My drawing skills are so bad.

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »

Derek

• Discourse Veteran
Love the idea but the design needs work. I'm very experienced with PS if you need help just hit me up.
You buy a Ferrari when you want to be someone. You buy a Lamborghini when you are someone. - Frank Sinatra

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 06:54:22 PM »

joshzachmatt

• YouTube:
It looks pretty cool. But it sorta looks like the Vortex back. I'd love to see what the Ace of Spades looks like! Don't give up on it; I'd definetley buy it! :D ;)

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thanks everyone! I'm going to still work on it.
Also, I don't see any resemblance to the vortex deck  :P but I guess its a good thing since the vortex deck is awesome!

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 11:36:50 PM »

SeanWhelan

• Discourse Lover

I would just like to say something about this topic. Since your new to photoshop and using an old version, I would recommend you study the program and art before going into designs. Especially something you would like to print for the public.

Hows the design so far? Its off to a great start for someone not knowing all too well of the program. However, I would urge you to use this deck concept...well as a test subject. Something you can use alone the way as you further your skills in photoshop. Once you feel like you know enough to amaze people then I would go back to the drawing board, think over the concept and re-create it from scratch.

You wouldn't want to put your time into this design right now because lets say a month from now you learn a new technique..and now your thinking man I should of learned that a long time ago to make this easier or wow that could of made it less time or even this part of the design cooler!.

Honestly, just my 2 cents. But again the design and concept is nice. great job! I really do look forward to seeing more as you go alone. And please, don't be afraid to show what you have. Theres a lot of people on these forums who are very very talented and will be more then happy to happy you with any questions.
Creator/Designer of Bicycle Galvanic Playing cards

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 11:43:59 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Thanks everyone! I'm going to still work on it.
Also, I don't see any resemblance to the vortex deck  :P but I guess its a good thing since the vortex deck is awesome!

I gather the resemblence is in the "inside-outward" design of the cards with the center as a focal point. I wasn't the first to do popularize the layout, that would be the circle-back Tally-Ho decks.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 02:58:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Also, I'd never be able to hand draw it. My drawing skills are so bad.

But you can splatter paint, right?  Go for it - play with paints and use a large canvas like Ncyclopedia did for his cut-outs.  Put away the computer; you may surprise yourself.