You are Here:
Symbols on Classic Royal Cards - Jacks First

Author (Read 4993 times)

Symbols on Classic Royal Cards - Jacks First
« on: October 18, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »

JohnEdelson

• Newcomer
I have an array of Bicycle and other American royal cards in front of me and I have many questions.  If someone has already written all this up, I'd appreciate the referral. If not, here's some questions.  I'll just ask about the jacks in this post but I have questions about the queens and kings too.

Clubs - The jack of clubs  (should this be capitalized?) is holding a long vertical rod-like thing with a sort of arrow head on one side (the top?) and a point on the other side.  It might be a stylized spear although the point on the back of it doesn't quite make sense. Anyone know anything about it?

There is also a leaf hanging from the hat or crown of the JoC.  Again, anyone know anything?

Hearts. He has a moustache (JoC is cleanshaven) and is holding something in his hand, maybe a leaf? There is the axe behind him.

The Jack of Spaces is holding a type of stick has a sort of spiral to it.  It has three sections in the spiral (ie it turns around one and a half times). What is it and what is it called?

Diamonds.  The JoD is holding a rod which looks very similar to the JoC rod but with the point at both ends (not the arrowhead).  It has a curved thing coming off it which could either be the hand protector if it's a sword or, in some versions, suggests a crossbow.  Anyone know anything about it? BTW, JOD also has a moustache.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 02:34:06 PM by JohnEdelson »
My contribution, such as it is, has been a focus on an organizational system for jokers. It's useful for people like myself who will never be able to remember the country or publisher of each joker. Instead, we need an easy-to-follow visual system... check it out!

https://www.amusedbyjokersami.com/2019/12/my-joker-taxonomy.html