You are Here:
design tablet recommendations?

Author (Read 11394 times)

design tablet recommendations?
« on: October 10, 2019, 07:36:25 AM »

flexdeck_mike

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Good Morning All.

I currently design in Illustrator but am in need of a design tablet. The only thread I could find on the topic here was from 2011.

Does anyone have recommendations for design tablets on the market today? I used to have a wacom but gave it away before I fell into the card design path.

Thanks for any insight if possible!

Best,
Mike
Mike Dummeyer
Purveyor of Flex Deck Playing Cards

Re: design tablet recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 02:28:30 AM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
I have a Cintique, and still only use mouse and keyboard for working in Illustrator. But The Intuos line is my recommendation
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:22:30 AM »

flexdeck_mike

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Good to know - thank you! I've heard this now a few times with others using mouse and keyboard. Happy I'm not that out of touch with proper processes.
Mike Dummeyer

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 12:27:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Good to know - thank you! I've heard this now a few times with others using mouse and keyboard. Happy I'm not that out of touch with proper processes.

Actually, now that they're more fully integrated, I've been hearing of Mac-using artists picking up iPads to use as tablets for their computers, along with an Apple Pencil as their stylus.  As of the most recent versions of MacOS and iPadOS, you can connect (wired or wirelessly) an iPad to a Mac to function as a second monitor, either mirroring the first monitor or extending the desktop environment.  This allows you to use the iPad and the Apple Pencil as a design tablet, as well as for simply having more screen real estate to work with.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 01:21:00 AM »

RandCo

• True Member
Go to an Apple Store and try the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil 2 before deciding.  The feel of this combo is the closest to pencil on paper available by far.  I've tried other combos of tablet and stylus and everything else feels like you are drawing on glass with a pen to varying degrees, versus the natural feel of the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil 2.  The slight distance between the surface of the glass and the actual display surface is noticeable on other tablets, including the regular iPad, especially when viewing at an angle.  With the iPad Pro there is no discernible distance, you don't see the 'glass'.

Adobe just came out with Photoshop for iPad OS and they have announced that Adobe Illustrator for iPad OS will be available next year.  This makes the iPad Pro much more of a professional choice.  There are some very good Photoshop and Illustrator alternatives available for the iPad also that are powerful and much cheaper than Adobe.  They all cost about what Adobe charges for just one month of their CC subscription.

You may want to wait before buying if you decide on this.  The iPad Pro line is due for new models early next year.  This may be important because the current iPad Pros have a limited amount of RAM, I think about 2 GB.  The next ones should have more RAM, and the Adobe apps and other graphics apps will want it.

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 05:24:15 AM »

flexdeck_mike

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Go to an Apple Store and try the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil 2 before deciding.  The feel of this combo is the closest to pencil on paper available by far.  I've tried other combos of tablet and stylus and everything else feels like you are drawing on glass with a pen to varying degrees, versus the natural feel of the iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil 2.  The slight distance between the surface of the glass and the actual display surface is noticeable on other tablets, including the regular iPad, especially when viewing at an angle.  With the iPad Pro there is no discernible distance, you don't see the 'glass'.

Adobe just came out with Photoshop for iPad OS and they have announced that Adobe Illustrator for iPad OS will be available next year.  This makes the iPad Pro much more of a professional choice.  There are some very good Photoshop and Illustrator alternatives available for the iPad also that are powerful and much cheaper than Adobe.  They all cost about what Adobe charges for just one month of their CC subscription.

You may want to wait before buying if you decide on this.  The iPad Pro line is due for new models early next year.  This may be important because the current iPad Pros have a limited amount of RAM, I think about 2 GB.  The next ones should have more RAM, and the Adobe apps and other graphics apps will want it.

Thank you so much! I will definitely go and check out the current model with the new model roll out in mind. Really appreciate the breakdown!

Best,
Mike Dummeyer

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 06:33:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Waiting for the next series might not be a bad idea, but not because of limited memory.  The 11-inch and 12.9 inch models are both available in memory capacities of 64 Gb, 256 Gb, 512 Gb and a full terabyte (1 Tb).  The laptop I'm typing this on now doesn't even have that much storage capacity, even with an SDXC card functioning as a second drive that's equal in size to the internal SSD - my total capacity is only half a terabyte between the two drives.

Actually, what I'd recommend more readily would be to check out the refurbished models sold directly by Apple on their website.  Any time someone returns an Apple computing product for whatever reason, they run it through a battery of tests, replace any parts that were defective, if any, seal it back up, clean it up and sell it as a refurb model since they can't offer it as new any more.  The last two MacBook Pros I bought were refurbs and I saved $200 on each of them over what the same model would have cost if it were new.  Apple gives the hardware the same exact warranty as they do for their new hardware, including the option to extend AppleCare to as long as three years for a fee.

The one real drawback to getting an iPad at all for any reason is the speed with which you'll need to get a replacement.  The hardware itself is just fine - it's the operating system that will be your stumbling block.  I was tossing around the idea of getting an iPad Pro as a replacement for my laptop, when the time comes to put it out to pasture, but while I'm typically getting about 8 years of life or so out of each MacBook Pro I'm buying, I only got about four years out of my iPad (first-gen) before it was too slow to run the latest version of iOS and could no longer be updated.  After that, as programs I was running started getting updated to the new OS and leaving the old one behind, more and more programs ceased to function on it.  At this point, I'm not even sure if I could use it for much more than web surfing or fetching email.  The four year lifespan is pretty typical, I've been told by other iPad users of more recent generation models.  (BTW, the 8-year lifespan on my MacBook Pros is only because Apple stops making batteries for their older models after a certain point - the hardware is still capable of keeping up with MacOS, albeit it a wee bit more slowly, but the battery no longer holds a decent charge.)

So with that in mind, if you're planning to use an iPad as a notebook replacement as well as a tablet, consider that you'll be replacing it twice as frequently.  However, if you're thinking only of using it as a tablet for design work, consider getting the lowest-cost model you can deal with (least amount of memory you're willing to tolerate, depending on how you want to use it otherwise) and pairing it with a MacBook as a second screen/drawing tablet.  You'd then be running Mac versions of whatever creative software you were using, with the iPad simply being used as a drawing surface with a pretty sweet screen resolution.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 02:22:52 AM »

RandCo

• True Member
Don makes a good point about the OS.  I think the next iPad Pro will probably be better in that sense though.  The iPadOs is new and came out after the current iPadPros.  The next iPad pro should be more integrated with the OS.

Don is right about using an iPad Pro with a Mac, especially a Mac that runs the latest OS, and using the iPad Pro as a second monitor.  This would be the ideal way to use the iPad Pro because you would have the power of a Mac with the drawing function of the iPad Pro.

The best way to buy an iPad Pro may be to buy it through ATT, Sprint, Verizon, etc.  They offer 24 month payment plans that do not charge interest.  You do have to have a phone plan with them though.   I haven't seen one, but a plan that let's you lease and upgrade after 1 year, like the phones, would be the best way.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 02:26:42 AM by RandCo »

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 06:56:48 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Don makes a good point about the OS.  I think the next iPad Pro will probably be better in that sense though.  The iPadOs is new and came out after the current iPadPros.  The next iPad pro should be more integrated with the OS.

Don is right about using an iPad Pro with a Mac, especially a Mac that runs the latest OS, and using the iPad Pro as a second monitor.  This would be the ideal way to use the iPad Pro because you would have the power of a Mac with the drawing function of the iPad Pro.

The best way to buy an iPad Pro may be to buy it through ATT, Sprint, Verizon, etc.  They offer 24 month payment plans that do not charge interest.  You do have to have a phone plan with them though.   I haven't seen one, but a plan that let's you lease and upgrade after 1 year, like the phones, would be the best way.

I don't know if tying your iPad to a cellphone company is the best way to go.  First of all, you'll spend an additional $130 to get a model with a built-in cellular transmitter for whatever standard your carrier uses.  (AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM standard and their Mac phones/tablets are strictly GSM, while Sprint and Verizon are CDMA standard and have models from Apple with both CDMA and GSM hardware in them.)

Buying with monthly payments from the cell carrier usually means you're financing it - paying extra for interest.  But even without interest, there's the cost of the data service with those companies - it can add up fast, easily costing more than any interest plan.  You can also buy from Apple, perhaps even getting an unlocked model so you can jump carriers, but if you get it on some kind of a monthly plan, you're still paying interest.  I know they do leasing for iPhones, but I don't know if they lease iPads - I lease my iPhone because it's costing me less than I was spending in the long run (I like high-end models) and allows me to upgrade my phone annually instead of every two years or more.

If you're not planning to go whole hog on the iPad because you're not planning to use it as a gaming machine or a media library (you can stream your video and music anyway!), you can get a low-memory model pretty inexpensively, even with a big screen - all current iPads (mini, standard, Air and Pro) use the Apple Pencil and are "Sidecar-capable" with MacOS Catalina.  The cheapest new model to get would be a standard iPad 32Gb with a 10.2" screen for $329, with a Retina display, support for Smart Keyboard if you wanted it, and an A10 Fusion processor.  For $100 extra, you get four times the memory, 128 Gb.  A 1st-gen Apple Pencil to use with it is $99 (only the iPad Pro is compatible with the 2nd-gen model Apple Pencil, which has easier, wireless charging, but there are also third-party models to consider, if one wanted to look around).  Using WiFi alone without built-in cellular is just fine - if you have a data plan for your phone, especially if it's an unlimited plan, many such plans come with tethering (using your phone as a WiFi hotspot for a certain amount of data per month, included in the cost of the plan).  For example, my Sprint plan has 50 Gb/month of included tethering.  An iPad user need not have a built-in cell transmitter to get online on the go.  Plus we were talking about using this more as a drawing tablet with a MacBook, less as an on-the-go notebook alternative.

So, for at little as $429, you have a complete iPad-as-drawing-tablet solution for using with any MacBook running MacOS Catalina.  And it's not just a drawing tablet - it's also a standalone computing device, a video/still camera, a media player and a second screen for the MacBook.  Look for a refurb and you might even save a few bucks, if one's available.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 06:58:38 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 03:59:49 PM »

RandCo

• True Member
Good points Don, but I would still recommend an iPad Pro because the drawing experience is much better.  The drawing on paper feel and look of the iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil is much better than the pen on glass feel of a standard iPad.

You can buy a wi-fi only iPad Pro and tether it with your phone (not sure if it needs to be an iPhone).  You don't need a cellular iPad Pro, and tethering is more economical.  If you already have a phone with a plan, see if the iPad Pro is available from the same company.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 01:19:30 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Good points Don, but I would still recommend an iPad Pro because the drawing experience is much better.  The drawing on paper feel and look of the iPad Pro with an Apple Pencil is much better than the pen on glass feel of a standard iPad.

You can buy a wi-fi only iPad Pro and tether it with your phone (not sure if it needs to be an iPhone).  You don't need a cellular iPad Pro, and tethering is more economical.  If you already have a phone with a plan, see if the iPad Pro is available from the same company.

Salient points, all.  I have no personal experience with the Apple Pencil, only heard the great reviews from others.  If it's better on the iPad Pro, then it's better - the cheapest Wi-Fi-only iPad Pro is an 11-inch model with 64 Gb of memory and the A12X processor with embedded M12 coprocessor.  That alone is $799, plus another $129 for a 2nd-gen Apple Pencil brings you up to $928 - that's more than double the price of the same solution with the lesser iPad standard model and a 1st-gen Apple Pencil.  You do get more for the money, naturally, but if you're working on a budget, you might not have the resources to go that deep into your pockets for a drawing tablet/display solution.

The Wacom Cintiq 16 is on sale right now at B&H for $550, about $100 off regular retail - that, too, would cost less, though again, you are getting a drawing tablet-display combo, not a full-blown tablet computer, with a slightly larger screen but at a significantly lower resolution.

For the artist on a budget, the iPad standard looks like it could be a stellar deal, depending on how they like working with it - if you're near an Apple store, walking in and taking a test drive would be a good idea before buying.  For the artist with more bucks, then sure, the iPad Pro is an awesome way to go.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2020, 12:49:35 AM »

RandCo

• True Member
Update:  The display on the iPad Pros are what Apple describes as a Fully laminated display with Antireflective coating.  This is what gives the pencil on paper feel.  I have discovered that the iPad Air (starts at $500) and the iPad Mini (starts at $400) also have the Fully laminated display with Antireflective coating.  Only the basic iPad does not have this display, its display has the pen on glass feel.
I also highly recommend putting on a -paper feel- non-glare screen protector.  It will keep the Apple Pencil from slipping while drawing and it reduces glare more.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:55:34 PM by RandCo »

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2020, 01:13:09 AM »

RandCo

• True Member
Adobe Illustrator is the best app to use if you are going to be creating the cards using vector art.  Adobe Illustrator for iPad is in beta testing and should be available before the end of the year.  If you don't want to spend the money for Adobe, Affinity Designer is pretty good and fairly inexpensive.

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 08:38:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Update:  The display on the iPad Pros are what Apple describes as a Fully laminated display with Antireflective coating.  This is what gives the pencil on paper feel.  I have discovered that the iPad Air (starts at $500) and the iPad Mini (starts at $400) also have the Fully laminated display with Antireflective coating.  Only the basic iPad does not have this display, its display has the pen on glass feel.

I thought Apple discontinued making "basic" iPads, in favor of iPad Air...but looking on the Apple website, there it is.  So yes, there are affordable alternatives to the iPad Pro, including ones that give that same feel as using the Pro (the Air and the Mini), but for less money.  Thanks for the follow-up!

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2020, 10:41:03 AM »

Squiddle Ink

• True Member
  • Living well is the best revenge!

• Kickstarter:
I recently traded my wacom cintiq 13 for the ipad pro 12.9 with apple pencil 2.

I honestly can tell you how much better it is, the portability, the haptic feedback, the control. I love it and it has reignited my love of digital drawing. I 100% recommend, although it is smaller then pad used by most playing card designers it is a great one to draw anytime andy place.

Instagram @squiddleink