You are Here:
Feedback Please! Just finished the last court card yesterday! Redfoxplayingcards

Author (Read 10656 times)

Marvin347

I have never done anything like this before. I am a pilot by trade and magic tricks especially card magic is one of my hobbies. Decided to make my own deck years ago and finally had a breakthrough. My wife is in charge of artwork. We are both learning as we go, Photoshop, file types, social media, card printing/printers etc. Any advice about the design or marketing etc. is greatly appreciated and welcome. Planning a Kickstarter before the end of the year that comes with a free magic trick book I'm making and really want to see this deck of cards get off the ground. I'll be creating a website with more details, our story, the redfoxplayingcards story and news on the Kickstarter.

You can follow along at "redfoxplayingcards" on Instagram and Facebook.

Let me know what you think!
I should mention it will be a marked deck of cards, but none of the markings are depicted here.

EDIT: Uploaded the pictures again in PNG so should be better color representation.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:28:04 PM by Marvin347 »

Marvin347

This card back is a moving GIF

Aaaand here's the back of the cards. This card is not marked but the deck will be a marked deck with very hidden markings. The markings will really pop when looked at through a red filter. Once you know where they are you will no longer need the filter. Every aspect is hand drawn including a tuck box that I'm super excited about. Tons of hidden secrets. King of Clubs is Chris Ramsay. I'm the King of hearts and my wife is the queen of hearts. Jack of clubs is a shout out to my 6-year old and the queen of clubs is for my 4-year old. You'll see lots of little details in the courts that are either a shout out to someone or tied into the back design. One of my favorites is the hot dog on the jack of clubs for my son lol.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:15:20 PM by Marvin347 »

the.asics.kid

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Wow. Seriously, that is a good custom deck. I really dig the crayon look. I love that you upgraded/customized the standard courts. I would like to see full custom courts, but I do understand that for a deck that is intended for magic, this is the maximum you wanna go.
One thing that I would change, the colours of the suits should be easier to distinguish. I don't really have a problem with the choosen colours, but I can see people confusing them easily.
The whimsical back design is exactly how I like it, but maybe some folks will find it too busy.
Overall, if the price is right, I would definetly add this to my collection. I'm curious how the tuckbox will look.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 02:26:45 AM by the.asics.kid »
- anima sana in corpore sano  /  What a joy to roam this valley of broken souls -

Marvin347

Thanks for your feedback!

With the colors of the suits, I do realize that the pictures on this site are not quite true, they seem brightened or washed out a bit - not sure why all the pictures look a little green and espicially the clubs/spades look lighter and more light green. The actual color of the spades and clubs will be a rich purple with blue which is our replacement for black. I'm ordering the pre-prototype to see how all the colors look so I'll get a good feel before the final order and take your comments into account.

I totally agree that some will think the back is busy. I'm glad you like it! I'm excited about it and it does have a dual purpose of hiding the markings as well. A bit hard to depict on the forum, but hopefully I'll be able to better show it on the website once it's up and on Kickstarter.

Feel free to follow on instagram @redfoxplayingcards   (Still trying to figure out marketing prior to the Kickstarter so you can also DM your e-mail and I'll be sending a message out once the Kickstarter gets going later this year.) 

Marvin347

Here's the tuck box design. I've seen people design a wrap around tuck so that you can place three tuck boxes together (middle one sideways) so that it completes a picture. This goes a step further by having the sides match up when upside down. Maybe I'm confusing you by trying to explain, but basically you can line up 7 decks with every second deck sideways for one long 7-deck picture all connected.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:50:08 PM by Marvin347 »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Here's the tuck box design. I've seen people design a wrap around tuck so that you can place three tuck boxes together (middle one sideways) so that it completes a picture. This goes a step further by having the sides match up when upside down. Maybe I'm confusing you by trying to explain, but basically you can line up 7 decks with every second deck sideways for one long 7-deck picture all connected.

I'm having a tough time visualizing that - you should simply post a picture of seven tucks arranged how you'd need to arrange them to make the image you mention.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Marvin347

I will definitely do that Don. At the moment I don't know how to do that until I get the prototype decks. I'm just wrapping up the design phase. Hopefully before the end of summer I'll post some updates with some pictures of the tucks as well as the cards.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:29:13 PM by Marvin347 »

the.asics.kid

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
It is getting better and better. Since funds are limited to me - god I wish I was Jeff Bezos - I definetly have to put these on the wishlist for now  :(. But definetly looking forward to this project. I'll keep a close eye on this.

A thought on the tuck box would be that the front could use some work maybe. It feels a bit empty compared to the back. The wraparound idea is very good. Overall a great draft, imo.
- anima sana in corpore sano  /  What a joy to roam this valley of broken souls -

Marvin347

I think it actually looks better with 9 instead of 7. Notice how the bottom is one continuous unique picture with both a running and a sleeping fox. If I had 24 decks I could bend them into a circle, put it on a lazy susan and it would be a continuous sleeping fox, running fox etc.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:24:06 PM by Marvin347 »

Marvin347

Here's few of the back with hopefully more true colors.

Marvin347

I'm having a tough time visualizing that - you should simply post a picture of seven tucks arranged how you'd need to arrange them to make the image you mention.

Posted a picture above!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 05:26:26 PM by Marvin347 »

excelsior

• Bicycle cards lover!

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I loved the art, I am new on the design too but here is my thought: the first thing that came on my mind was "imagine the add ons for this deck, like coins, etc", so if you didnĀ“t think of that yet, for sure is a good idea to start.
Bicycle cards lover
Designing 3D modeled cards at Excelsior Playing Cards
https://www.instagram.com/excelsiorplayingcards/

Marvin347

Thanks! I've been thinking about a poker chip with maybe a sleeping fox on one side and then the ambigram logo on the other. I'll have to rack my brain and see what other add on's everyone else has. Definitely good to start thinking about before the campaign.

Marvin347

Red Fox reveal glasses! These are used to help learn the marking system, as well as see other hidden secrets on the tuck, the back and a few other cards. Almost all the foxes are either opening or closing their eyes, or peeking or winking when viewed through the red filter. I'm planning on including one pair of these with every deck. And also, it's still a work in progress but the website for Red fox playing cards is up! You can see more photos and learn more about the deck there. If you want to check out the website, just read it off the Red Fox reveal glasses design.  ;)

Glasses art is hand drawn, keeping with our %100 hand drawn theme. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 01:42:55 PM by Marvin347 »

Marvin347

Marvin347

Update for those that are following along. Kickstarter was a huge success, raising more than 3x the goal and funding within the first 12 hours. Quite pumped as it was my first project and not very well known about. Currently I have a pre-order store accessible from my website, with the cards hopefully arriving end of February 2020. Murphy's magic has also picked them up and they will be available from magic stores that deal with them.

Thanks everyone that helped out, and feel free to pick up a deck :)

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Update for those that are following along. Kickstarter was a huge success, raising more than 3x the goal and funding within the first 12 hours. Quite pumped as it was my first project and not very well known about. Currently I have a pre-order store accessible from my website, with the cards hopefully arriving end of February 2020. Murphy's magic has also picked them up and they will be available from magic stores that deal with them.

Thanks everyone that helped out, and feel free to pick up a deck :)

Congratulations!  I had a hunch that your deck would be a success.  People tend to go for quality work that was clearly a labor of love, and it's easy to see that yours was.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/