You are Here:
Lee Asher Jerry's Nuggets Sale 2013

Author (Read 14190 times)

Re: Lee Asher Jerry's Nuggets Sale 2013
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 09:50:40 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Is anyone legitimately interested? Personally i dont see the point of buying one just to resell straight after.. I think it would be wise to only purchase for your own collection and sit on it for a good solid 10 years+. However, JNs might be useful to conduct trades with!

I'm interested in completing a sealed set. I got a blue one last year for $200 and I'm after a red one; if it's a blue one I get sent I won't mind either way, could always trade it  :)
If I were an eskimo, I would build my igloo next to a supermarket.

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2013, 09:57:54 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Is anyone legitimately interested? Personally i dont see the point of buying one just to resell straight after.. I think it would be wise to only purchase for your own collection and sit on it for a good solid 10 years+. However, JNs might be useful to conduct trades with!

I'm interested in completing a sealed set. I got a blue one last year for $200 and I'm after a red one; if it's a blue one I get sent I won't mind either way, could always trade it  :)

You reside in Australia don't you? (: I would be happy to conduct some trades/sales with you dude! "dis legit binnis!"
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2013, 09:59:28 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:
I'll try for one of the first two.  If I don't hit that lottery I'm gone.  At $200 it's essentially a bargain.  Ridiculous for a deck of cards but still a bargain on the open market.

Next thing you know you'll be staring at the 320$ lottery tier and be like "ah well tis' gon go up neway, mite asw'l". I'd be careful of the 'consequences' if i allowed myself to get into the position of intending to purchase =p

Nah, I'm in for the $200 teir only.  I've got silly good restraint (and I've got one of each color already so it's easier to say nay).   ;)

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2013, 10:02:02 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis

Nah, I'm in for the $200 teir only.  I've got silly good restraint (and I've got one of each color already so it's easier to say nay).   ;)

Dude stop growing your collection! My jealous-o-meter is going to explode :( Sell me some of your goodies! Sharing is caring ;)

« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2013, 10:09:44 PM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:

Dude stop growing your collection! My jealous-o-meter is going to explode :( Sell me some of your goodies! Sharing is caring ;)

I've picked up som great stuff recently (JN's are not recent). We don't have a look what I added to my collection thread on this site do we?  We be nice to see what people score/show off our own hauls. 

« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2013, 10:13:36 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis

I've picked up som great stuff recently (JN's are not recent). We don't have a look what I added to my collection thread on this site do we?  We be nice to see what people score/show off our own hauls.

I'm pretty sure we do.. just don't know the title of it! There's definitely a thread dedicated to showing ENTIRE collections. Regardless, you should make one right now so we can show off recent additions! (And so that we don't stray off too far from the topic at hand here =p)

« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Getting less and less interested in JNs. More and more decks are released, but the price keeps going up, while the collector market (and amount of hardcore collectors) shrinks? Sounds like a bubble about to burst to me. I buy almost, almost, every deck that comes out now, and have an extensive collection of older decks, but JNs, at this price at least, just don't appeal to me. I'm willing to pair a fair price, but to me, this isn't it. I see cards as an investment, but one of a different type. I want items at a decent price so when I am ready to sell them (if I ever decide to), I will at least get my initial investment back. My "profit" is the enjoyment that I get from owning the decks. If I make money, cool, but I buy decks that I know will sell for at least what I paid. While this is a bit different from most folk's idea of "investing", that's my mentality, and helps me obtain, and fully enjoy, a collection without the pressure of buying high and selling low, or wasting my money. Could I buy stocks instead of cards and make better use of that money? Well, yes, but that's not the point. I have retirement funds for that. I could have invested the money that I paid for my boat, but instead, I "invested" that money into the enjoyment of myself and my family. As I have said here before, but what makes you happy, regardless if you can sell it for a huge profit later on.

Buying JNs from Lee Asher at $450 is a strange proposition though when many genuine decks on eBay don't sell for half of that. I hope that the folks that buy at that price truly enjoy those cards, because they surely won't make a lot of their money back if they sell.

« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2013, 05:41:28 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
I don't believe many people would be compelled to want to sell at that price point, but if they're into collecting them strictly for a collection and not a monetary gain, then it might be a more secure way for them to do it.

« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2013, 09:49:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Buying JNs from Lee Asher at $450 is a strange proposition though when many genuine decks on eBay don't sell for half of that. I hope that the folks that buy at that price truly enjoy those cards, because they surely won't make a lot of their money back if they sell.

Yeah, but when you buy from Asher, you know you're getting the real deal.  With eBay, it's hit or miss.  The forgeries have actually started becoming quite good I hear, pretty decent cards in themselves.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #84 on: October 02, 2013, 08:56:57 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Good luck to all trying tonight
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #85 on: October 02, 2013, 09:02:46 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
5 seconds in and it shot up to tier 10 for the $360 mark
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:03:12 PM by brownmagician »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #86 on: October 02, 2013, 09:03:57 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I got a tier 4. @ 260... really strongly debating the purchase

« Reply #87 on: October 02, 2013, 09:04:46 PM »

agera94

• Discourse Veteran
Got a rung 3. Am quite the happy apricot right now.

« Reply #88 on: October 02, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »

Fanofyankees13

• "YEAH BITCH, MAGNETS!"
  • Discourse Lover
  • U W0T M8

• Facebook:
Just for fun, I entered and got Tier 4 at $260. That was at 9:00:02.
“You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.”

― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #89 on: October 02, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

Did u end up purchasing? Only a 3 minute time frame to purchase. I stayed up for this, I need to sleep lol
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Just for fun, I entered and got Tier 4 at $260. That was at 9:00:02.

Same time as me. You and I are tier 4 buddies.

Did u end up purchasing? Only a 3 minute time frame to purchase. I stayed up for this, I need to sleep lol

Nah, was a really tough decision.. but decided against it. I have car insurance coming up in a few days... and 260 bucks helps cover a decent portion of that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:09:10 PM by Curt »

« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2013, 07:45:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Nah, was a really tough decision.. but decided against it. I have car insurance coming up in a few days... and 260 bucks helps cover a decent portion of that.

Where I live, that barely covers a monthly payment!  And that's for basic coverage on an old car.

So, who bought a deck and for how much?

« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2013, 08:48:19 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Where I live, that barely covers a monthly payment!  And that's for basic coverage on an old car.

I pay like $70 a month for ins.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #93 on: October 03, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Sam my JN sale reminder pop up on my phone (Event was entered when it was first announced), said meh, deleted it, and didn't even go look. JNs are looking less and less pretty to me. I have thousands of decks and at athis point, I'm so bored with the excessive hype surrounding them that I doubt that I would buy at even half of the lowest price. They are becoming less and less rare with every release, and the pricing is WAY out of line.

« Reply #94 on: October 03, 2013, 09:51:20 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I pay like $70 a month for ins.

And the moral of the story: don't own a car when you live within the New York City limits if you live on a low budget...

Sam my JN sale reminder pop up on my phone (Event was entered when it was first announced), said meh, deleted it, and didn't even go look. JNs are looking less and less pretty to me. I have thousands of decks and at athis point, I'm so bored with the excessive hype surrounding them that I doubt that I would buy at even half of the lowest price. They are becoming less and less rare with every release, and the pricing is WAY out of line.

I never thought they were all that pretty in the first place.  Neither did the magicians who used them - they used them because they were good and (at the time) cheap, maybe 50¢ a pack.  The price appears to be way out of proportion for the rarity - it's only the age and quality that make these cards worth anything, and can they really be that much better than Magic Finish?  I mean hundreds-of-dollars-price-difference better?  I don't think any card deck fits that description for me.  Whether that holds true for you or not is a decision only you can make.

The current price has nothing to do with any real rarity of this deck - I'd bet there were much, much shorter print runs of nearly any deck made on Kickstarter or any rare deck from the major custom card companies than on these.  I'm thinking there were tens of thousands of these created.  It all to do with how they're vintage, heavily hyped, and how it's not just collectors, cardists and magicians in the market - it's speculators.  They are the ones who drive up the price.