You are Here:
Smoke and Mirrors Special Edition

Author (Read 770 times)

Smoke and Mirrors Special Edition
« on: August 16, 2016, 08:32:07 AM »

xlacs

• Forum Regular
Hi Guys

I have some Smoke and Mirrors Special Editions written on the bottom of the boxes and I was wondering if you guys know much about them? I can find ones that say Luxuary Edition but not Special Edition and just wondering how much they are worth?

Re: Smoke and Mirrors Special Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 05:31:09 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I moved your post - Smoke and Mirrors don't yet qualify as vintage; the standard is at least 20 years old.

There's been a total of seven Smoke and Mirrors releases, plus a gold Special Edition that was, I think, never sold individually, just given away as a premium or as part of a set.  A little searching here in the forum turns up the info you're looking for.

Version 1 S&M was two decks, Smoke (white) and Mirror (black), labeled 1st Edition.

Version 2 was similar, a black/white two-deck set, labeled Special Edition.

Version 3 was again similar, another black/white two-deck set, labeled Luxury Edition.

Versions 4, 5 and 6 were colored editions - Eco (green), Denim (blue) and Rouge (red).  Eco came with or without a deck seal - a small number had seals, most of which were distributed at Magic-Con the year it came out, if I'm not mistaken.  No seal on the others.

Version 7 was a boxed set, consisting of six decks.  All but one were reprints of earlier editions - Version 3 (both colors) and Versions 4 through 6.  The sixth deck was called Carbon and was the only unique deck of the set.  The faces were changed from the classic "PerfectPip" faces with simplified courts to USPC standard faces.  10,000 serially-numbered boxed sets were released.  Numbers 7,001 through 7,777 were called "Carbon Copy" and contained no reprints, just six decks of Carbon.

The easiest way to tell the Version 7 reprints from their originals is the D&D deck seal - it had a perforation found at the "half-moon" curve of the tuck box opening, designed for easy breaking of the seal without messy tears.  With the exception of some Version 4 decks, the others had no seals at all, and the V4 seal wasn't perforated through the middle like the V7 decks are.

No one knows the exact quantities printed of Versions 1 through 6, except to say that the first three versions are rather rare.  Few were made, even fewer are still intact today.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 05:31:41 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/