You are Here:
Sideshow Deck – Midway Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 3156 times)

Sideshow Deck – Midway Playing Cards (KS)
« on: September 19, 2015, 06:25:11 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Sideshow Deck – Midway Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 06:47:02 PM »

GinaMarie

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
Thanks for sharing this for me Fes!!! Any questions about the deck or poker chips, I'm here!! :) - Gina

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 09:06:38 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I often tell designers that if they're going to do a theme that's been done before, they need to do it better than what came before, head-and-shoulders above the rest.  For this deck, you may well have achieved that!  The artwork is phenomenal and the narrowing of the theme to the "painted-canvas circus poster" style of art allowed you to to make something very sharp, that stands out nicely, and the tuck box is very "old-timey" and fits the theme to a tee.

Best of luck to you!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 02:56:45 AM »

HankMan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
This indeed looks very interesting  :)
I like the artwork alot.. and the back design with "Admit One" a similar approach with "Sawdust"  back design  :D

Back for more

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 09:52:11 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
This is definitely one of the better decks being funded now. While both Sawdust and Sideshow both have the "Admit One" back. Sideshow takes you down a whole different path. It has an intricate "dark" feel to it. I like the original artwork on the courts. Inspired by old sideshow posters, but not direct copies. Good stuff.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 06:41:25 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
This is really quite well done in my opinion. I'm enjoying the vintage art style incorporated here. Makes me think of the classic posters for the side show attractions without cheesing it up as we've seen some other doing in recent years. The card back is clean crisp and manages to continue the theme really well, not the easiest thing to do. I initially snagged an EB deck, then I made the post here when the campaign launched, when I finished with that I changed my pledge to half a brick without a second thought. The Aces are absolutely fantastic! I may end up bumping my pledge once again and adding on a few of those fine looking ceramic plaques as well. Quite the show stopper here from the color choices to the style to the printing company used. This is one of those decks that, for me, has no drawbacks. Hell, I may end up going in heavy on this. :))
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »

GinaMarie

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
This is definitely one of the better decks being funded now. While both Sawdust and Sideshow both have the "Admit One" back. Sideshow takes you down a whole different path. It has an intricate "dark" feel to it. I like the original artwork on the courts. Inspired by old sideshow posters, but not direct copies. Good stuff.
Thank you so much for the nice feedback!! I really appreciate it :) - gina

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 01:46:49 PM »

GinaMarie

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
I'm not quite sure how to "like" or reply back to each post individually but I'm digging all these kind words about my playing cards!!!  ;)
I didn't know about SAWDUST until after Mr. Boyer told me about it - seeing comments including both our projects in the same sentence is a HUGE HUGE compliment!!!!!! That deck/artwork is fantastic. 

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 01:50:18 PM »

GinaMarie

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
The campaign has a little over 2 weeks left! Any feedback or suggestions, PLEASE let me know!!!!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/str8games/sideshow-deck-midway-playing-cards-and-poker-chips

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 05:22:52 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Boardwalk Papers also has an Admit One back. Most decks that have an attraction theme or ticket entry theme have Admit One on the back in some manner. It's a good thing in my opinion and enhances a decks overall feel. For me this is absolutely true of this card back.

There is a pledge tier here which may have gone un-noticed by many who looked once and left the campaign without a second thought. I'd like to draw a little attention to it as it's a great collectors deal. The tier is Fan Request Super Pack, this tier comes in at only $75. What you get for the seventy five clams is really unusual in KS tiers here's the loadout. Six decks, One uncut sheet, One Metal ALIVE coin, and fifty checks or "poker chips" rather fun home blackjack games anyone? All that for Seventy Five dollars US, easily one of the best tiers on KS bar none. There are a full 88 backer spots left on this fantastic tier, I think it warrants consideration and others may be interested in it. Is the tier too good to be true? That's possible, certainly.

Some of my fellow collectors and many of my fellow players haven't really been introduced to uncut sheets before. This could be the perfect opportunity for that initial meeting. Uncuts are really fantastic and I love mine. I used to see them and think, oh cool, and move right past them no second thought. Well, this changed for me last year. I picked one up and it was so much cooler than I ever thought it would be. Take a wonderfully charming deck like this in uncut form, talk about a conversation and display piece!

Sideshow is a great looking deck, it should have many more backers than the 194 it does at the moment.

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »

GinaMarie

• Newcomer

• Kickstarter:
I appreciate it very much Fes!!!!!

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 12:59:05 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
With so many great deck designs on kickstarter and so many new decks showing up in the past couple weeks. It's easy to let some things slip through. Don't let this deck be one of them. If you're on the fence for these, hop on the bandwagon. This deck has so many great features and a style that actually captures the vintage sideshow feel. Sideshow is also slated to be printed by Expert Playing Cards!

Here's your friendly reminder, the campaign is three days out and nearing it's funding goal. Don't miss out. Still many pledge slots available in the Super Pack tier, that's six decks, one uncut sheet, one metal coin and fifty poker chips for $75. Incredibly good value in my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 07:14:06 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Congratulations on funding!

I'm really looking forward to having this great deck in my hands. Really fun stuff here. :))

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 07:35:24 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I agree with Fez, conrats on the funding :D..I am really happy that this deck will become a reality as it is such a fun deck and the creator was really involved throughout the campaign! :bosswalk:

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 05:03:35 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Really excited this project succeeded!!!
Excited for anyone that picked up some of the chips as well, I was lucky enough to get a sampler through one of their Instagram contests the the chips and ceramic 'Admission Ticket' are really spectacular. This ended up being one of the few projects where I got extra so I could open and use the decks themselves, and one of even fewer where I added on non-card rewards.
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.