You are Here:
Leonardo Art Playing Cards (KS)

Author (Read 6251 times)

Leonardo Art Playing Cards (KS)
« on: February 03, 2015, 06:11:37 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/320402544/leonardo-art-playing-cards

Here's a cool looking deck from out of left field! 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 11:57:27 PM by Rob Wright »

Re: Leonardo Art Playing Cards
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 07:31:14 PM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:
Was this drawn or composed with pictures?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 08:37:46 PM »

geneva

• Newcomer

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:44:38 PM by geneva »

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 09:36:14 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Well the art is interesting, but there are so many warning signs...how can set the goal w/o specifying who will be printing the deck?
And when asked, he responds by updating the FAQ to say...nothing...then updates it again to mention LPCC an EPCC.
There must have been hours of planning that went into this campaign.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 09:52:38 PM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
Leonardo is my second favorite ninja turtle

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 11:50:57 PM »

naggarwal

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

Thing is that even if it is composed with pictures, the composition looks pleasant to eyes. I backed it seeing only one of the cards.
Notice how there are 26 cards of either color in each deck, a number equal to letters in English alphabet. You can hide a message with cards in a deck if it is simple enough.

My collection is https://playingcarddb.com/mycollection?u=7189, I hope you will like it.

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 01:15:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
At the age of five, I read the life story of Leonardo da Vinci.  I've always admired him.

Backed for two sets.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 06:46:29 AM »

EvanEssence

• Forum Regular
I really like a couple of the royals enough to want to get a print, but it's just too expensive for me.  Odviyenko has the prints for 50 each through kickstarter and 55 on his website (and he is offering different choices).  Dent-de-lion is offering only one option, the giclee jack of spades print for what he has valued through the rewards tier as $120.

Now from what I've read of giclee prints, you can take an original painting and create extremely high quality reproductions.

http://www.mikemayone.com/Pages/faqgiclee.html

They have a lower initial cost to set up, yet a higher cost per print...which seems to be opposite of what Odviyenko's method of creating plates from the original card art.  Higher set up fee, cheaper to reproduce.  I may be totally wrong on this as I am just learning about this now, but I feel like it should be easier for him to not just offer the jack of spades and give us some options for $120...or just have the prints available for 50 like Chris and eat the higher setup fee. 

Not one person has backed the print yet, and I think that is a little telling.  Anyways I'll stop my morning rant.  I don't even know if any of you are into prints like I am.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 08:27:04 AM »

Dent-de-Lion

• Newcomer
Hello Cardists!

I’m Dent-de-Lion du Midi, the creator of Leonardo.

First of all, I would sincerely like to thank all of your for your kind comments and thoughtful responses to Leonardo, it’s really appreciated.

Both actually! Leonardo of course drew the images that form the basis of the card designs, which I composed, distorted, distressed, adjusted, interpreted, etc! In some cases I had to paint new areas in Leonardo’s style, which took much time. I will add some images in an update soon demonstrating this. Thank you for your question!

I really like a couple of the royals enough to want to get a print, but it's just too expensive for me.  Odviyenko has the prints for 50 each through kickstarter and 55 on his website (and he is offering different choices).  Dent-de-lion is offering only one option, the giclee jack of spades print for what he has valued through the rewards tier as $120.

Now from what I've read of giclee prints, you can take an original painting and create extremely high quality reproductions.

http://www.mikemayone.com/Pages/faqgiclee.html

They have a lower initial cost to set up, yet a higher cost per print...which seems to be opposite of what Odviyenko's method of creating plates from the original card art.  Higher set up fee, cheaper to reproduce.  I may be totally wrong on this as I am just learning about this now, but I feel like it should be easier for him to not just offer the jack of spades and give us some options for $120...or just have the prints available for 50 like Chris and eat the higher setup fee. 

Not one person has backed the print yet, and I think that is a little telling.  Anyways I'll stop my morning rant.  I don't even know if any of you are into prints like I am.

Thank you for your research and advice... I have now added more information to my FAQ and hope that I have answered your questions.

I have been working with small edition prints and the associated technologies for over 20 years, from making some of the first IRIS prints in the 90’s to creating state-of-the-art book proofs recently. The term Giclee means many things to many people. To me it means this: The Jack of Spades, in Edition Gold or Edition Silver will be a fine art print of the highest quality, a properly calibrated printer, with archival inks, on superior artist paper, then proofed, signed, and numbered, all to the highest gallery standard. This care and devotion to quality is reflected in the price, which with this process and care is close to my cost.
Creator of Leonardo | Art Playing Cards

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 09:14:36 AM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
The deck looks interesting.
But I didn't backed it because this kind of deck needs a proper stock. And there is no concrete information about where it will be printed and the stock that will be used. The absence of that information, for me, is crucial.
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 12:13:03 PM »

Dent-de-Lion

• Newcomer
But I didn't backed it because this kind of deck needs a proper stock. And there is no concrete information about where it will be printed and the stock that will be used. The absence of that information, for me, is crucial.

The exact stock depends on the card printer chosen. At the high end they all offer superior options. Be assured that I will choose the best stock for this project, one that fits the fine art feeling that the artwork conveys. I did not work so hard and long on Leonardo to print them on anything but the best! Thank you for your concerns, and let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.

kind regards, Dent-de-Lion

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:15:51 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

The exact stock depends on the card printer chosen. At the high end they all offer superior options. Be assured that I will choose the best stock for this project, one that fits the fine art feeling that the artwork conveys. I did not work so hard and long on Leonardo to print them on anything but the best! Thank you for your concerns, and let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions.

kind regards, Dent-de-Lion

The playing card collector community takes things like stocks and finishes very seriously.

If you can commit to a single printer, you might find it easier (at least in a community that collects cards such as this) to have people commit to your project.  The best stock and processes of one printer might not hold a candle to those of another printer - and everyone has varying opinions about which is better.  Now, they're forced to guess what the end result will be like.

In addition, the LPCC and EPCC uncut sheet only has 54 cards, not 56 like USPC uses.  It is possible to get extra cards in your deck (I know LPCC has offered it before), but there's an increased cost for this due to having to run off a second deck sheet for the extra cards and having them sorted separately into the deck.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:17:40 PM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 07:14:56 AM »

Dent-de-Lion

• Newcomer

The playing card collector community takes things like stocks and finishes very seriously.

If you can commit to a single printer, you might find it easier (at least in a community that collects cards such as this) to have people commit to your project.  The best stock and processes of one printer might not hold a candle to those of another printer - and everyone has varying opinions about which is better.  Now, they're forced to guess what the end result will be like.

In addition, the LPCC and EPCC uncut sheet only has 54 cards, not 56 like USPC uses.  It is possible to get extra cards in your deck (I know LPCC has offered it before), but there's an increased cost for this due to having to run off a second deck sheet for the extra cards and having them sorted separately into the deck.

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments.

I have always expected to print Leonardo at USPCC, and believe that we will reach the goal to print there. They have a 2.5x greater minimum order than everyone else, which is why I would choose another top notch printer if the number of decks needed for backers is smaller.

So let’s get the word around, and then we are printing at USPCC!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 07:15:30 AM by Dent-de-Lion »

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 02:31:55 PM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
They may have a higher minimum order but their prices really aren't too bad. In fact, the prices get really nice once you hit high quantities like 10,000. If I was you, I would print with USPCC. I would also go with 10,000 bringing the price per deck down. Once you sell 2,000 or 3,000 decks on KS then you still have 7,000 to sell to art museum gift shops. I know they (USPCC) just increased their prices but it should still be less then $2 per deck when you get to the high quantities.

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2015, 09:27:08 AM »

Dent-de-Lion

• Newcomer
They may have a higher minimum order but their prices really aren't too bad. In fact, the prices get really nice once you hit high quantities like 10,000. If I was you, I would print with USPCC. I would also go with 10,000 bringing the price per deck down. Once you sell 2,000 or 3,000 decks on KS then you still have 7,000 to sell to art museum gift shops. I know they (USPCC) just increased their prices but it should still be less then $2 per deck when you get to the high quantities.

Hi! I’m afraid my advance planning never dreamed of numbers like 10,000 decks! But after the funding period is over, and we see how many decks we need to order, hopefully we can follow your good advice and order lots! I have already received some serious interest from museum stores, card dealers, and bookstores, all over the world - it’s very exciting! Thanks so much for your well thought out comments, they are truly appreciated (and mind opening!)

Re: Leonardo Art Playing Cards (KS)
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »

Dent-de-Lion

• Newcomer
Hey there!

Collectors and backers of Leonardo have asked me about the creative process involved in designing the cards. I made this illustration, do you think it answers the question? Or do you think a video would be better? I posted the graphic as an update on Kickstarter, thank you for your support!

« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 11:55:53 AM by Dent-de-Lion »

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 12:45:39 AM »

Collector

• Discourse Deity
  • I can be ironic, but I never outrage anyone.

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

Both actually! Leonardo of course drew the images that form the basis of the card designs, which I composed, distorted, distressed, adjusted, interpreted, etc! In some cases I had to paint new areas in Leonardo’s style, which took much time. I will add some images in an update soon demonstrating this. Thank you for your question!

Thanks for your honest answer.

IMHO. Each artwork is nice. But they aren’t nice as a pack of playing cards. There is no consistency in art of this deck. Some artworks are graphics (the best in this deck), some are paintings. Paintings and “graphic” backgrounds also don’t suit each other. The same with the tuck case. I think two different decks could be better. One with graphics. One with paintings.  Or it can be divided between Red and Black suits.

The back design looks like something is missed on it. Unfortunately, I can’t name specific things. This is just my perception.

Anyway, good luck. I suspect it will be funded.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in collecting beautiful ones" ~ PlayingCardCollector.net

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 12:09:42 PM »

Dent-de-Lion

• Newcomer

Thanks for your honest answer.

IMHO. Each artwork is nice. But they aren’t nice as a pack of playing cards. There is no consistency in art of this deck. Some artworks are graphics (the best in this deck), some are paintings. Paintings and “graphic” backgrounds also don’t suit each other. The same with the tuck case. I think two different decks could be better. One with graphics. One with paintings.  Or it can be divided between Red and Black suits.

The back design looks like something is missed on it. Unfortunately, I can’t name specific things. This is just my perception.

Anyway, good luck. I suspect it will be funded.

Thank you for your honest opinion. I’m glad you find the artwork nice. The work of Leonardo is diverse and I made the conscious decision to fashion each card as best I could, rather than try to homogenize them into a deck. Of course everyone sees Leonardo differently, I received a mail that “...all these paintings and etchings, I am surprised how nice they look together.”

I considered the paintings vs graphics question…. but unfortunately Leonardo didn’t consider that 500 years later someone would use his work for playing cards, and provide more paintings just for me! There are so few Leonardo paintings extant.

Thanks for your suspicions that we will get funded, I suspect so too :-)

all the best ~ Dent-de-Lion

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2015, 02:53:27 PM »

Dent-de-Lion

• Newcomer
Hello Cardists here on Playing Card Forum, thank you for your continued support!

Through popular demand from collectors, poker players, and game enthusiasts I would like to show you guys two superlative Leonardo Commemorative Coins!

Leonardo Editions | Commemorative Gold and Silver Coins

The Gold and Silver 2” Engraved Commemorative Coins can be used as dealer buttons, beautiful display pieces, or as card guards / decision makers. Expertly minted and finished, they are the perfect complement to your Leonardo Edition Gold or Edition Silver decks!

The front side features the Leonardo iconic Jack of Spades in full relief. The back displays the Ace of Spades symbol and the name of my studio - Meisterwerke Altstadt.

Sincerely

Dent-de-Lion

PS: Thank you for your messages on kickstarter, your suggestions are very valuable!

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 09:04:05 AM »

soleil

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
My father just added this to his story - I really like to see images of the back fan - gives such a lovely expression!

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 06:43:43 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I like the deck, I'm backing. Never been one to fan faux aged decks myself, the inconsistencies of the one way back make it a difficult process to have all in the same direction or a muddled effect when just fanned out all willy nilly without a care for card alignment.

What I like and appreciate about this image is it's clearly shown with the cards on top being the opposite way from the rest of the fan. That's a classy move in my opinion. Not trying to sell the perfect illusion in the image. Makes this rendering fun and shows that the Dent-de-lion's heart is in the right place. Good stuff.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 08:31:58 AM »

soleil

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Nice catch Fes - I hadn't noticed!

I have been helping my father out these last couple of days and wow, what a run! We are now at USPCC printing and that is so great. I was so happy with them printing my GLITCH cards.

To celebrate achieving this goal I wanted to share with you one of strongest cards in my opinion. Its a rather simple drawing coming from Leonardo. A hanged man. A sight in those times that sadly wasn’t rare. It is believed that the man portrayed here was a priest.

Jokers traditionally depict a more joyful image, of a juggler or a clown, I think my father has done a wonderful job with his two choices for jokers, the chained criminal / beggar and the hanged priest. They are such a grotesque portrait of the times. Haunting!

« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 08:32:10 AM by soleil »

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 09:52:32 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Might want to reconsider the full bleed edge on that rope, making it fade is a better idea. It's USPCC, I don't mean they can't print it. I mean they're very likely to say no if the rope keeps going on like that.

I would expand but I think Don will do a much better job on this part than I can. So I'll just stop here.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:53:57 AM by Fes »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2015, 01:24:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ordinarily, Fes, you'd be correct, particularly if the cards being made were meant for serious use.  Artistic decks, however, get to bend the rules a bit.  They're not meant for serious card play so much as for their beauty, and as a collectible, it's also less likely a magician will use them in performance when you factor in what single-print-run custom decks cost and how difficult they can be to find once they're sold out.

My one caution regarding this design is that you might want to lighten up the art just a little, particularly the areas where there's a lot of detail.  USPC has been a little ham-handed in the past in regards to contrast, so in a deck's art with a narrow and dark contrast range, many of the details can be lost.  They're particularly problematic with black and gray - who remembers Bicycle Venom and Venom Strike?  Or even some of the older print runs of Arcane from Ellusionist?  They had a LOT of lost details, rendering them a lot less attractive than they should have been.  Increasing the contrast range just a bit more at the light end than what you have at present should keep the design from looking like so much mud when it's finally made.  As much as we'd like to think that "what you see is what you get," taking an image from your computer screen and printing it on an offset press can occasionally yield rather different results, often not for the better.

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 08:46:46 AM »

Dent-de-Lion

• Newcomer
Thanks Don for the heads-up, I completely agree. Many designers work only in RGB… and hence the surprises that you mentioned… decks with lost details and poor contrast.

I designed Leonardo from the beginning for printing in CMYK - the images I’ve released on the internet are converted to RBG color, which is best for web viewing.

I will of course proof the project thoroughly (old school!) before giving final print approval.