Republic No. 02 from Ellusionist

Author (Read 10916 times)

Republic No. 02 from Ellusionist
« on: August 09, 2013, 06:42:20 PM »

S. Carey

• Forum Regular

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
We are in for some teasing over the next couple of days.....for those that haven't seen it yet
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:36:48 AM by Don Boyer »

Re: E likes to tease - possible White Sultan Republic deck?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 09:56:57 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
If you look from the shoulders up, that looks like a Swedish guy. Just me?

also, yeah. Probably the Sultans with a color change.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 10:41:50 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
I think it will actually be a redesign/upgrade rather than a mere colour change. E said a while back that they wanted to release an updated Republic deck and hence is also why they are no longer selling the Sultan Republic deck.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2013, 10:52:42 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
If you look from the shoulders up, that looks like a Swedish guy. Just me?

yep
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 01:46:03 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Update from E

"|| COUNT IT DOWN || Coming August 14th, Republic No. 02 is a complete redesign of the Republic Playing Card series. Clean, Focussed and Epic. Watch the first behind-the-scenes teaser now, and be sure to check back daily as we reveal more. http://elusn.st/PlayResponsibly "

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 02:02:41 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Chattanooga train:
Creator) Harry Warren
Destination) Terminal Station

Crazy Train:
Creator) Ozzy Osborne
Destination) Off the rails.

Hype Train:
Creator) Ellusionist
Destination) All the money.

Choo Choo
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:03:00 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 04:40:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I'm in agreement with Froggo on this.  E stopped making the Sultan Republic deck for a re-do, and this appears to be that re-do.  What stands out most to me is that nowhere does it actually say "Sultan" - it looks like they're dropping that from the name of the deck.  In addition, the box design bears striking familiarity with the Madison decks - perhaps Ellusionist found the design so popular that they're using it like a company design for future tuck boxes, including Republic No. 02?

Also, it says nowhere anything about the cards in the box being a white deck.  Daniel Madison's decks all came in white boxes, and none of them were white...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 11:13:21 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Simple and classy. Not sure if i like the back design yet. Strikingly similar to Madison Dealers.. interesting..

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 11:22:53 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Clean? Sure. Focused...perhaps, but on what is unclear. Epic? Methinks not. Looks like about a half dozen other decks already out there and doesn't seem to speak to the "sultan" motif at all.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 12:35:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Clean? Sure. Focused...perhaps, but on what is unclear. Epic? Methinks not. Looks like about a half dozen other decks already out there and doesn't seem to speak to the "sultan" motif at all.

...which might be why they dropped "Sultan" from the name...

It's their "Bee Diamond Back" without the marking system of the Madison Dealers.  I'm pretty sure they've never made a deck with a repeating pattern into the bleed like the Diamond Backs before aside from the aforementioned marked deck.  Put a marking system on a deck, and many card players won't touch it - they don't want to even be suspected of cheating, and all the "printed" marked decks will fail a riffle test done with a sharp eye.  (Inks and daubs are a different story...)

It's not a deck I'd rush to write home about, but it's classy and simple.  Would be great for gambling demonstrations as well.  I've stopped buying new decks, but if I hadn't, I'd probably get this deck if I was placing an order for other stuff.

I'm going to update the title of this topic, since it's clear this isn't a white deck, nor is it a Sultan deck...

Re: Republic No. 02 from Ellusionist
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 10:44:28 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Just noticed the original teaser had a few reveals. The theme seems to be minimalistic and almost colourless.

Original image: http://hwst.ellusionist.com/republic-wallpaper.jpg

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 03:18:05 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 03:21:42 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Interesting branding and back design. It reminds me of branding the fashion industry uses w/ female model. The back is Louis Vuitton looking, while the box and branding reminds me of Chanel No. 5. It's an attractive package (box and back). I will reserve judgment until I get a clear look at the faces. As I recall, the original Sultan Republic used the half pinstripe pips which I was not fond of.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 03:24:27 PM by Legacy »

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 05:14:51 PM »

entrails

Excellent observations guys. Very keen eyes.

I agree with the similarities between the Bees and the Madison's. The design on the card backs is very clean as is the case with its Madison/Chanel styling.

Although I like the look, with such a proliferation of decks these days,  I don't feel very inspired by this deck at this time.

Looking forward to the release of the Federal 52's and Deco.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 09:05:50 PM by entrails »

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 07:00:18 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
I actually love the font and small indexes. The pips are very clean and sleek with gorgeous details! Still not exactly sure on the layout.. but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2013, 07:32:59 PM »

Ben Taylor

So, I'm not seeing anything in common with the Sultan Republic deck here. Except for the word Republic.

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2013, 08:57:24 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So, I'm not seeing anything in common with the Sultan Republic deck here. Except for the word Republic.

Is that really a bad thing?  The new design is looking great so far.

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2013, 09:07:27 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
This deck is not part of of the sultan series, its a part of the republic. thats why there is the sultan republic and sultan treasury. Sultan is one thing, republic is another.sultan republic was a mix of the 2.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2013, 09:17:59 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
This deck is not part of of the sultan series, its a part of the republic. thats why there is the sultan republic and sultan treasury. Sultan is one thing, republic is another.sultan republic was a mix of the 2.

Where'd you get this info from?

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2013, 10:09:03 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos

This sounds very similar to my speculation on facebook, so taking a shot in the dark i assume me :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151534747456161&set=a.147152631160.119734.61472466160&type=1&comment_id=9214479&offset=0&total_comments=51
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 10:09:29 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
There was a discussion on there page. E never said anything either way but this design has nothing to do with the sultans, it does have the republic symbol though.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 10:53:07 PM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis

This^ I honestly dont get why people are so quick to judge, bashing on something simply because it was not what they envisioned. Just because it doesnt look like a brother of the Sultan Republic doesnt mean it is bad. Just because E released the similar Madison Dealers deck recently doesnt make this deck a 'copy'. (Personally i prefer this other the Dealers).

By the way, the third -though unexciting- teaser trailer is up: http://www.ellusionist.com/republic-02-playing-cards.html?utm_content=awesm-publisher&utm_medium=elusn.st-facebook-post&utm_campaign=republic2&utm_source=direct-elusn.st

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 12:01:15 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

This sounds very similar to my speculation on facebook, so taking a shot in the dark i assume me :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151534747456161&set=a.147152631160.119734.61472466160&type=1&comment_id=9214479&offset=0&total_comments=51

There was a discussion on there page. E never said anything either way but this design has nothing to do with the sultans, it does have the republic symbol though.

So, in other words, John B., you were quoting speculation from John (minus B) as opposed to an official statement from E, right?  No offense to my fellow moderator, but that makes it about as valuable as the paper it isn't printed on...

And John (minus B) - the official titles of the decks were:

Sultan Republic
and
Sultan Republic Treasury Edition.

SRTE was occasionally shortened to Sultan Treasury simply because it was faster and easier to say and write.  But the tuck box says "Sultan Republic" on it exactly like the original (but in the new color scheme), along with "Treasury".  I can't recall if it said "Edition" anywhere.

This^ I honestly dont get why people are so quick to judge, bashing on something simply because it was not what they envisioned. Just because it doesnt look like a brother of the Sultan Republic doesnt mean it is bad. Just because E released the similar Madison Dealers deck recently doesnt make this deck a 'copy'. (Personally i prefer this other the Dealers).

I swear to you, if they released an exact copy of the Sultan Republic deck in a new color scheme, they'd be pissed about that, too.  There is a tendency to be quick to judge around here.  I'll grant that some things are obviously horrible from the first glance, but people - this is NOT one of them.  So they're different - so what?  I honestly think E took a bit of a hit with the SR and SRTE decks.  SRTE looked better, but both decks had those awful split-chevron pip designs that were "wacky" for no good reason and did nothing to help the design.  They probably announced they wouldn't reprint just so they could get them out the door and not have to look at them again - even if they're not the most attractive decks, if they're rare, speculators will swoop in and buy by the bricks rather than just decks.

I read people arguing on the FB page about how this is their second borderless deck "in a row" - technically not true, since their most recent deck is the red Rounders deck.  But putting that aside, even if it was the second borderless deck in a row, it's the first one that didn't have hidden markings on the backs!  Many players (yes, non-magicians do like and buy their decks to actually PLAY with them) won't get within ten feet of a marked deck because they don't want even a shadow of a doubt about how legit they play.  For them, Madison Dealers was a non-event.  This, however is different.

Not to mention beautiful thus far!  I really love the small indices - older poker players hate them because they're too small, but those who can still see love small indices because they're easier to hide in a peek of your pocket cards in games like Texas Hold 'Em.  The negative space and the elegant looking pips and their arrangements to me are quite gorgeous.  Think of this deck like a more artful version of Bee Diamond Backs, because in essence that's the function they'll serve.

And I don't care what some of those people said about inverted cards - because of the edge being patterned on the back rather than a solid color, inverted cards will still hide very nicely.  Anyone who's performed with a pack of Bees and done those tricks will agree.

BTW: am I the only person who noticed the release date is WED 14 AUG?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 12:02:39 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
Subtle and Elegant.

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2013, 11:05:18 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Dramas aside, I'm absolutely LOVING the pip layout and the small indices.

Fingers crossed for awesome court cards.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 11:05:46 AM by MrMollusk »
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)