You are Here:
Merz67

Author (Read 2329 times)

Merz67
« on: January 04, 2013, 08:29:06 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
So... What's up with this guy?
I have a long history with Merz, and for a while I was sort of an advocate of his. I liked him... Before I got wise.

I first came across him watching a deck collection video (I don't know about you guys, but I do this weekly/biweekly). They held up a deck I had never seen before, and that made me think it was rare. I mean we've all heard of a Gold Arcane, or BG1E and you don't need to own them to know about them, but to see a deck that you'd never heard of, you get thinking. That deck was Bicycle Tie Dye. I googled it, amazoned it, ebayed it and eventually found it for sale - $60. I believe I was 14 at the time, I said no dice.

A year or so later I found it on amazon for £9 ($13.50), with a birthday 2 weeks away I promptly emailed my mum a link with a hope. I luckily received the deck and I was stupidly excited, you have to know that the favourite part of my collection is the brick of bicycle coloured rider backs. I was a little disappointed with the jokers but I loved the deck and it advertised Merz67.

That was when I became aware of him and I have to say I was impressed. Over the last few years I have read a lot of bad things about him; all of which I agree with. The barrage of his 'clip art' decks is awful. I'll only buy another one if I become really rich and really completist.

However I maintain he is a strong seller, I recently bought the david blaine magic deck trio for £14 ($21)  including shipping to the UK (Other people in england should know how good value this is). I also stumbled upon his Amazon UK identity - "Now that's a deal" is the only UK trader to sell trace decks, the animal skins deck and even the tie dye deck. From there I got a few cheap bikes, including a Dessert Shield Secret Weapons deck for £5 ($8) with shipping.

I recently became aware of the fact that bicycle promote him on their website - so who the F is he? He isn't John from acekingcards, or Mike from bmpokerworld or Jason from 1Eyedjack. I can't seem to find any information on him other than his mysterious name - who is he? What are his connections? How can he ram 3000 clip art decks through bicycle every year?

I know some of you know just about everything, any info on this guy?

Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

Re: Merz67
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 03:02:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I've moved a quote here from another topic, since it was tangential to that topic and core to this one.

Huh. Never heard of [Merz67].
The red white and blue deck looked pretty OK from what I saw on Amazon, though. I still want to see one of those decks fanned.

All he generally does with his decks is take the Rider Back design, recolor it in some fashion and literally use clip art to create two unique jokers and an Ace of Spades.  The added touch of a two-finger peace sign on the RW&Bs is something new, and it's STILL clip art.

And yet, according to sources, when counting unique deck orders, he's the largest customer of the USPC Custom Department.  The Blue Crown/HOPC is second-largest.  This would be for number of deck designs, not for quantity printed; D&D, T11 and E outshine them there.

His marketing is also, for lack of a more polite term, problematic.  He'll come out with these decks, being the exclusive seller of them in the marketplace, and put them first on eBay for ridiculously princely sums.  A few suckers get dragged in, but if no one buys, he'll shill-bid it to a high amount and purchase it himself, or so it would appear - no evidence exists to back this, but as far as I care, for his decks, he can buy all of them that he wants.  Then he sells the deck in other places such as on his site, on eBay again or on Amazon, usually with text along the lines of "This RARE deck sold for $XX.XX on eBay!  Get yours now before they're sold out and gone forever!"  As if we could be so lucky...  :))  He never releases quantities, so there's no way of knowing if he ordered 5,000 or 50,000 in his print run.

I've also seen him selling some very funkily recolored Hoyle decks on his site which I've rarely if ever seen elsewhere, leading me to suspect he "designed" those as well.  His "designs" for any of his decks could be created in maybe fifteen minutes with the right software, they're so stultifyingly simple.  It probably took him all of an hour to design all six decks in the RW&B series.  Excluding the need for certain file formats, you practically don't even need something as sophisticated as Photoshop!  You could make them in Microsoft's Paint app that comes with Windows...  Give me an idea, Internet access and perhaps an hour, and I could make a "Merz-like" Bicycle deck, and I'm not even close to being a designer.  He uses the Bicycle brand name and completists who must have every Bicycle deck in an attempt to make some mad cash - though for all his unsold self-designed decks, he's likely got a healthy cash cushion to sit on or he'd be bankrupt by now.  You'd have to ask him how successful he is at it, and I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a reply other than words to the effect of "no comment", "it's none of your business" or "fuck off, ya punk, you're botherin' me"...

I will admit that his online store's got some good bargains on playing cards.  But while I've had no bad experiences, I've heard from others who have - decks damaged by improper packing, difficulty getting him to take responsibility for it and issue either a refund or a replacement, etc.  He's not a very well-liked member of the community, either for deck design or for retail, despite (or perhaps even in part because of) his cranking out more deck designs than any other USPC customer.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 03:03:59 PM »

hazofhorsham

• Discourse Veteran
Is there anything you don't know? Haha thank you.
Some Men just want to watch the world burn.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 04:54:17 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
He's not a bad dealer, his decks just blow hard turd.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
All right, those Hoyl recolors are the shittiest decks I've ever seen.
Dear lord, why?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 10:49:19 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Dear lord, why?

Because people buy them. He noticed the market for custom decks was hot and exploited the sh!t out it by selling "limited" deck. Not saying he is a bad guy, very smart business wise and not afraid of pissing off a few people to make a quick buck.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 11:11:15 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
His bargains are great, but, like we've said, his decks are horrid. But hey, I'm not buying 'em, so why should I care. I do have to say that his customer service is pretty nice.
After buying a deck from him, and been sent the wrong version, I found it nice of him that he sent me the correct deck and refunded my transaction fully.
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 11:26:03 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
Dear lord, why?

Because people buy them. He noticed the market for custom decks was hot and exploited the sh!t out it by selling "limited" deck. Not saying he is a bad guy, very smart business wise and not afraid of pissing off a few people to make a quick buck.

But... The colors...
 :mindf-ck:
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)