Review: Warrior deck (Romy RJ Meermans)

Author (Read 668 times)

Review: Warrior deck (Romy RJ Meermans)
« on: February 06, 2021, 01:11:50 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Warrior deck

The Warrior deck (Full Moon Edition) is a white deck that also comes as a black deck (Midnight Edition).  I love the premise behind this pair of decks: it's about how a moth is attracted to the light, but being drawn too closely to a flame can also lead to destruction.  The lesson of this parable is that we have to be cautious about pursuing our passions too recklessly and with blind determination, because there can be an instant where we touch the flame and everything turns to darkness.

The two tuck boxes showcase the moth that these decks are all about.  This motif returns on the card backs, which have a plain two-way design where all the focus is on twin moths, either on a completely blank background (Full Moon Edition), or a bordered black background (Midnight Edition).  The moth is styled after the Death's-head hawkmoth, a large moth noted for markings that include a vaguely human skull-shape pattern in the center.

I've not previously come across this deck's Dutch creator Romy RJ Meermans, but the court cards feature familiar red and black designs from popular designer Daniel Schneider, and have a custom but yet classic look.  But I particularly like the small touches applied to the number cards, where all the red pips have been given a subtle black border, helping add a sense of customization.

Further customization comes in an ornate Ace of Spades with an oversized pip inspired by the card backs and Jokers with two card reveals.  There are also two gaff cards - a duplicate, and either a double backer (Full Moon Edition) or an angle zero gaff (Midnight Edition). 

Cartamundi's Slimline B9 cardstock ensures smooth and soft handling.  I'm particularly partial to the Midnight Edition with its black card backs, but as a matching pair, these decks offer a valuable parable about life.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=