You are Here:
Review: Vanille Playing Cards (Paul Robaia)

Author (Read 452 times)

Review: Vanille Playing Cards (Paul Robaia)
« on: February 04, 2021, 11:47:59 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Vanille deck

I've always really liked the Casual deck (V2) from designer Paul Robaia, who is also the man behind the Flora decks, so his new Vanille deck looked immediately familiar, with a somewhat similar colour scheme that includes white, black, and mint green.

Like its predecessor, the elegant tuck box has an earthy matt feel about it.  But instead of the geometric triangles and squares of the Casual deck, the Vanille deck has circles and loops that feel like an endless bicycle chain, and these are also the design on the card backs.  The small circle in the middle of the backs quickly becomes the center of attention in moves like spins, twirls, and pivots.

The overall impression of the card faces is a standard one, but the colours are altered just enough to make us feel that we're in custom territory, with mint green replacing the usual stark blue on the court cards.  The colours are reminiscent of the Mondrian Broadway deck, but the court card patterns have been simplified to produce larger chunks of colour.  This makes the usual court card designs feel more minimalist and clean, and I especially appreciate the way the pleasant way this makes the yellow stand out.

For the rest, everything is standard except for the Ace of Spades, which sports an oversized pip that captures something of the overall feel and colours of the deck. Two Jokers feature a comedic scene with a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat, while the two extra cards include a two-coloured double backer and an ad card.  Thin crush stock and a modern cut from USPCC ensures smooth and consistent handling.

In my collection, this will sit handsomely and comfortably alongside Paul Robaia's Casual V2 deck.  I do miss the lovely gold pantone inks that were one of the chief drawcards of the Vanille's predecessor, but both of these decks are very clean designs, that lend themselves particularly well to card magic or playing card games.  And cardists who find themselves drawn to the back designs and colour scheme, will also enjoy this very practical and appealing deck.

BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=