You are Here:
Review: Secrets of the Playing Card documentary (History Channel)

Author (Read 1285 times)

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
"Secrets of the Playing Card" documentary (History Channel)

Outstanding documentary about the history of playing cards

There's a lot of misinformation about playing cards, and this excellent 45 minute documentary does a very good job of bringing a very fair and objective account.  Produced in 2006 by the History Channel as part of their "Decoding the Past" series, and released on DVD in 2008, it is well researched, and numerous historians and experts on the subject are consulted and are given the opportunity to speak in their own words.

The first part of the video documents the origin of playing cards, acknowledging that their apparent origins in China are in fact debatable, and that a case can be made for other sources as well, including Persia, and from there spreading to China, and finally arriving in Europe via Mamluk Egypt.  The evidence becomes clearer once playing cards spread through Europe, and this video does a good job of hitting all the main points of the development of playing cards in the 15th and 16th centuries, including cultural and geographic variations, and the origin of the four different suits.  Coverage is also given to historical points of interest, such as taxation in England which led to stamping duty paid on the Ace of Spades.

The final part of the video is a lengthy excursus about the origin of the Tarot deck.  A compelling case, carefully documented from history, is made for a later origin of tarot cards, which first existed as trump cards that were used as an extension for a regular deck, and used for gaming purposes.  Occultic meanings and the use of these cards for fortune telling were all later developments, quite distinct from their origin and intention.

Video footage includes lots of wonderful images of antique playing cards to complement the well-informed and educational audio narrative.  This is a very fine production, that will be very much enjoyed by any student and enthusiast of playing cards.

Where to get it? The DVD is available from Amazon.  You can currently also watch this on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFKHnDLV-Lw
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:45:00 AM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Re: Review: Secrets of the Playing Card documentary (History Channel)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 10:05:58 AM »

Eddie Hughlett

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Thanks EndersGame. That was interesting.
"...almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."

- S.W. Erdnase

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 06:34:02 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For anyone interested, the video clocks in at just under 45 minutes.  I have yet to watch it myself, hopefully I'll get to it tonight.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 06:51:36 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
For anyone interested, the video clocks in at just under 45 minutes.  I have yet to watch it myself, hopefully I'll get to it tonight.

Enjoy!  I'd love to know what you think of it Don, and whether you'd agree with the historical picture that is presented in it.
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 06:14:21 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Enjoy!  I'd love to know what you think of it Don, and whether you'd agree with the historical picture that is presented in it.

Well, there's a lot of meat on the bone still untouched with this documentary.  I'm sure that has a lot to do with the fact that they tried compressing over a millennia of history behind playing cards into a 45-minute documentary - some facts are bound to be left out and others treated with a bit of gloss.  In general, it does steer you in pretty much the right direction.  One of the commentators, Yasha Beresiner, is not just a card expert and dealer, but a long-time member of 52 Plus Joker and frequent advertiser in the club's print quarterly, CLEAR THE DECKS!

It's funny - I've spoken to my wife about getting a rider added to our insurance policy to cover my playing card collection in the event of a loss, and she said that I'd have to have an expert appraisal of the collection for the insurance company.  The irony is that most insurance companies would eventually end up calling upon people in 52 Plus Joker to perform such an appraisal - and as my collection is more modern decks than vintage and antiques, it's not impossible that I'd be able to make such an appraisal, though of course, no insurer would permit me to appraise my own collection for the purposes of insuring it!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 06:18:13 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
Thanks for your comments, and sharing your thoughts, Don - appreciated!