Pictorial Review: Rare Playing Cards with Old Time Movies

Author (Read 840 times)

Pictorial Review: Rare Playing Cards with Old Time Movies
« on: May 06, 2017, 05:11:39 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
RARE PLAYING CARDS WITH OLD TIME MOVIES

RarePlayingCards.com has to be one of my new favourite web-sites!  When I stumbled across it for the first time, I could hardly believe the enormous and amazing repository of playing cards available for purchase there. Their online catalogue lists more than 300 different decks of cards, all with image galleries so you can see exactly what you're getting.    But they don't just sell any old playing cards, but only the best: high quality designer decks, from well-known publishers/brands and from obscure designers - hence the "rare" in Rare Playing Cards!  While the word "rare" can refer to old things, it is primarily about scarcity - something rare is something that is not found in large numbers.  It's easy to find decks of cheap and low quality playing cards at your nearby supermarket, but it's the more special breed of rarities and custom playing cards that RarePlayingCards sells.  In this review, I will show you some of their decks that I own myself and have first-hand experience with, and I will give you a pictorial overview of them.

From old time games, we move to old time movies.  It's time to bring out the popcorn, turn on the screen, and get the projector running - because in old times, there was no such thing as streaming media or digital movies!  So let's turn on the nostalgia, and see whether these decks of playing cards can help us go back to the eras of old fashioned film.

Bicycle Cinema deck

The Bicycle Cinema Playing Cards brings the magic of old time movies to playing cards.

In the words of the creative team, "The look is inspired by the golden age of film, including retro film, reels, comfy red seats and projectors."

The card design looks just like a film strip, with the cards having a classic yellowed finish to give a nostalgic and old time look. Notice how the numbers and the pips are carefully positioned along the sides inside the film strip.

This is also the case with the number cards, which have a similar yellow tint.

One of the really unique things about this deck is the animation feature - you can flip through the cards to do a 3-2-1 count-down, just like in the old movies.

The film strip sides also appear to move vertically during this animation, which looks really cool.

Here's our Joker friend, waiting with his popcorn for the film to get started.

The cards were created by Collectable Playing Cards and printed by USPCC, so they are top quality, with the usual air cushion finish and everything else you expect from a Bicycle deck. 

Where to find it: https://rareplayingcards.com/products/bicycle-cinema?rfsn=540019.2dd030

VHS deck

Since we're watching old time movies, let's dust off the old electronics sitting in our garage, and pull out the old VHS player to watch some rare home video footage of family gatherings, or yard sale movies!  Introducing the deck of VHS Playing Cards.

This stunning retro deck really does look like a VHS tape, starting from the tuck box itself, which looks just like an old VHS cover.  Even the cards slide out of the side of the tuck box. As for the card-backs, these are designed to look just like a VHS tape. Brilliant isn't it?!

The court cards are sketched onto a black grid, with retro fitted colors.

The numbered cards are also illustrated by hand to make it look like scribble, and are also composed on a black grid that shows the numbers and pips.

Even the Joker gets in on the fun.

This deck definitely has a strong retro feel, and creates a nostalgic vibe, while being attractive and amusing all at the same time!

Where to find it: https://rareplayingcards.com/products/vhs-deck?rfsn=540019.2dd030

CONCLUSIONS

If you're in the market for a deck of custom playing cards that is truly creative, artistic, unusual, or memorable, you're not likely to find that at your local corner store. But these are the kinds of rare decks of playing cards that you will find at rareplayingcards.com. Whether you're looking for that one-of-a-kind high end deck for your own enjoyment, or a gift for another gamer, RarePlayingCards.com has something that will suit, and the decks you see here are fine examples.

To see more, head here.

Bicycle Cinema Playing Cardshttps://rareplayingcards.com/products/bicycle-cinema?rfsn=540019.2dd030
VHS Playing Cards: https://rareplayingcards.com/products/vhs-deck?rfsn=540019.2dd030

These decks are also available at your favourite Murphy's Magic retailer. See the product pages at Murphy's Magic for Cinema, VHS
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:28:29 PM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=