You are Here:
Looking For Information

Author (Read 1090 times)

Looking For Information
« on: December 22, 2016, 10:35:50 AM »

DaveK

• Newcomer
I picked this set up at a yard sale some time ago. They make a nice show piece but I know nothing about it.  I am hoping someone could provide a little insight.

Re: Looking For Information
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 10:10:08 AM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
Those look like Dutch cards because they have scenic aces. The lack of indices may mean that they are quite old. Please post some court cards. I'm leaving on a trip so you might have to wait for a week for a response.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:10:43 AM by Worst Bower »

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 12:53:38 PM »

DaveK

• Newcomer
Thank you.  I will post more photos on Tuesday when I return from my holiday travels.  The scenes on the aces seem to be from Portugal.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 11:59:51 AM »

DaveK

• Newcomer
Some more pics.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 05:13:32 AM »

Worst Bower

• Forum Regular
My guess is that these were made in Germany or Belgium for export during the late 19th or early 20th century. The faces use distinctly Dutch queens but it is a mystery to me why the aces have Portuguese scenes. Germans and Belgians also exported very similar cards to Portugal but they use an older set of queens that hold flowers. Are the backs just green? The pictures are a bit blurry, is there a trademark on the jack of clubs?

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 08:05:22 AM »

DaveK

• Newcomer
The backs look like this. They are bluish and spotted. I have not been able to find a trademark anywhere.