You are Here:
Honeybee V2 by Penguin Magic - Kickstarter - Now Live

Author (Read 2148 times)

Honeybee V2 by Penguin Magic - Kickstarter - Now Live
« on: February 13, 2017, 08:49:34 AM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hey everyone, I hope you're all doing well!

I wanted to give you all a heads-up that Penguin will be launching our first Kickstarter in just over 24 hours. We're taking Valentine's Day, the sweetest day of the year, and adding a little Honey!

Honeybees are one of our favorite decks that we've produced, and were also our quickest to sell out.  We get messages every week about whether or not there will be another version, since many people either missed them the first time around, or they want more of them for their collection or day-to-day use. Since day one, we have also gotten a lot of requests asking if we would ever do a bordered version.  On Feb 14th at noon eastern, we're opening up the campaign to deliver on those requests.

The biggest difference in the deck is that the backs are now bordered.  The custom Tuck, Ace of Spades, Joker, and custom color/texture court cards are pretty much the same as the originals. There's a lot that everyone seemed to love about the deck, so it didn't feel right to change things that we thought were already great.  We're also making both the Yellow and Black decks available simultaneously.

I know some of you will ask, "Why Kickstarter, why now?"  For us it's more about the "crowd" and less about the "funding" when it comes to trying this out.  The first Honeybees sold out in 2 days, and a lot of people didn't get their hands on them. Doing a campaign like this hopefully gives folks plenty of time to pledge, and get them at the best price.  It allows us to print the correct number of decks to meet demand without significantly over or under printing.  I hope you guys will see from our goal (Only $12,000 for a 2-deck campaign) and our pledge pricing that we're not trying to make this a "lazy cash grab".

We also worked with Randy Butterfield to create an all-new version of the deck. This one will be a stretch goal and it is GORGEOUS.  It is a black ink and gold foil Metalluxe version of the deck.  If we hit the stretch goal, we're going to pull out all the stops with this deck - black paper tuck with multiple foils - individually numbered seals (limited to 1,000 decks), etc.  I really hope we get to produce it.

I'll be sure to come back tomorrow and update this post with a link to the campaign page.

EDIT: We're live!  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/penguinmagic/honeybee-v2-playing-cards-by-penguin-magic

Thank you!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:02:21 PM by Reylek »
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

Re: Honeybee V2 by Penguin Magic - Kickstarter - Now Live
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 12:15:10 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:27:43 AM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Thanks to everyone for their feedback and support over the past week.

We just posted an update to the campaign - we will be adding custom coin and t-shirt pledge/add-on options to the campaign soon.  For now, we are giving folks the opportunity to vote on which design will be produced.

Check out Update # 2 on the campaign and post a comment to vote for your favorite.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/penguinmagic/honeybee-v2-playing-cards-by-penguin-magic/posts/1812570

Thanks!
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:23:10 AM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Hi everyone!  The coin and shirt options are now open for pledge or add-on over at the campaign.  We're just a stone's throw from successful funding!

Thanks!
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 10:14:29 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
So what do people think is best - the yellow deck or the black one?

Did anyone actually end up pledging for these at all?
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 06:03:36 PM »

Kruser

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • Erlanger or Bust!!
Hi Ender!

I pledged, mainly because I missed out on V1.

... was really hoping to unlock the Metaluxe version - oh well ...

I definitely like the yellow better! ... I'm curious to feel how they handle - that will tell me if the pledge was worthwhile after all!

Kruser
"The mind is like a parachute - It works best when it's open." - Frank Zappa

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 05:27:15 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I had no problem backing this campaign. If they are like the V1's and I'm sure they will be they handle great. I prefer them both but I lean a bit toward the yellows too. With the unlock not being achieved I hope they'll have another campaign for them in the future. It was a little odd that they would be a stretch goal in my opinion, seemed like KS was the perfect platform for the Metaluxe to just be on the ballet from the get go.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:09:50 PM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Couldn't be more excited to announce a campaign for the MetalLuxe Edition - now live!  Only for 2 weeks though.  Snag them while you can!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/penguinmagic/honeybee-special-edition-metalluxe-gold-foil-playi
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Pledged for the MetalLuxe version.  Congrats on the quick funding, Kevin!  Very happy these will come to fruition.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 04:07:05 PM by PrincessTrouble »

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 08:13:58 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Has anybody received a survey or anything else yet from the Honeybee V2 project creators, asking whether the decks they pledged for were Yellow or Black?
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 12:53:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Has anybody received a survey or anything else yet from the Honeybee V2 project creators, asking whether the decks they pledged for were Yellow or Black?

An experienced project creator won't typically send out surveys until closer to the shipping date, to insure that they have correct addresses for all the people who pledged.  They're not worried about not having enough of one color or the other because the project was in part used to fund the deck so Penguin could sell it in their stores - they fully intend to have more than what's needed for backers.  It's part of the reason why the goal was as low as it was - a project like this would normally have been a lot more expensive (MetalLuxe is not cheap!), but Penguin is fully expecting to make a profit selling it in their online store and to retailers, thus they subsidized the project out-of-pocket to some degree.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:55:05 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/