You are Here:
Club deck 2016, National Playing Card Collection Day, Drawing cards by hand...

Author (Read 8742 times)

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Zdravo fellow card enthusiasts,

The twenty third edition of CARD CULTURE is now available to download for all 52 Plus Joker members. Take a moment to log into the club's website, and a direct link to CARD CULTURE will be in the member's section - waiting for you.

Found in this superb issue we hear from such notables as:

• Brett A. Jones - Drawing Playing Cards By Hand - Part 1 of 2
  • Alan Lampe -Wooden Trays To Store & Display Your Decks
  • Alexander Chin -National Playing Card Collection Day
  • Andrea Whitlock -Decks on Deck Chart: September
  • Fess -Releases & Highlights - Commercial & Kickstarter

Additionally, from CLEAR THE DECKS we unearth some background information on the amazing playing card architect Bryan Berg. Plus, Mr. Rod Starling asks us to look at the evolution of the Bicycle Ace of Spades.

PLUS, we reveal who designed this year's 2016 Club Deck. You're going to love it!

Screen captures of this month's CARD CULTURE

Please go download your copy today. If you're not a member of the 52 Plus Joker, think about joining us. CARD CULTURE and many other playing card amenities await you.

Enjoy!

- - - -

What exactly is CARD CULTURE? It's the ONLY digital monthly playing card magazine that works in tandem with the 52 Plus Joker printed quarterly Clear The Decks. It's for 52 Plus Joker members only, and CARD CULTURE helps you celebrate and indulge in your playing card passions! Want more info on how to join? Just ask...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 10:40:03 AM by Lee Asher »

rousselle

• Forum Regular
For those of us who were unable to attend, will the 2016 Club Deck be made available to members online the way previous years' decks have been? Hmmm? Hmmm? :-)
There are no 3's in rousselle. There are, however, two s's, two l's, two e's (but not in a row), an r, an o, and a u.

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Yes!!! That will happen today. Stay tuned, and an email will go out to membership about purchasing new Stutzman club decks. Thanks for your patience!

Msp062

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
Is it possible to see some photos of the 2016 club deck.  I used to be a member of the club, my membership expired. I am considering paying a membership fee again to be able to purchase the 2016 deck but it would be nice to see some detail of the deck before I pay $37usd for my membership.

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
Yes!!! That will happen today. Stay tuned, and an email will go out to membership about purchasing new Stutzman club decks. Thanks for your patience!

I can't remember which day it went live, but for all club members, the option to purchase the club deck is now available on the club site.

The 52+J instagram page has a photo collage of the deck: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMCTxTjAUSE/

It is an extremely beautiful and well designed deck.

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Renew now and get some these beauties!

sprouts1115

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity

• Facebook:
In the deck, I was hoping to see something with the 52+joker logo.  Is it the Joker in chair?  If so, where is the 52+ ??? 

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
It would be nice to see some bigger pics of the deck and its features.

Shade

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • "Better 2 Burn Out - Than Fade Away!"
I have not seen this email on how to purchase. It is also not on the 52+ webpage. Any updates on this? Love anything Stutzman :)

Also the Instagram indicates on 350 decks produced, so this will be super limited.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:25:18 PM by Shade »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I have not seen this email on how to purchase. It is also not on the 52+ webpage. Any updates on this? Love anything Stutzman :)

Also the Instagram indicates on 350 decks produced, so this will be super limited.

In order to see the page, you have to be a member (which you are) and be logged in:
http://www.52plusjoker.org/dnn/2014ClubDeck/tabid/100/Default.aspx

This page allows you to order any of the three club decks: 2014, 2015 and 2016.  There are posted limits as to how many any individual can order - they track who buys how much and orders that attempt to exceed the limit will be canceled or modified to stay within the limit.  Convention attendees do get the privilege of ordering just a little above the limit - but only at the convention.

Current limits are (pricing is for domestic shipping):
2014 deck by Jackson Robinson: 500 printed, maximum of two per member, $45 each plus shipping.
2015 deck by Paul Carpenter: 1,000 printed, maximum of 12 per member, $25 for first deck, discounts for more, plus shipping.
2016 deck by Mark Stutzman: 500 printed, maximum of 12 per member (I think - check with Lee to be sure), $38 for first deck including shipping/PayPal fees, discounts for more.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Shade

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • True Member
  • "Better 2 Burn Out - Than Fade Away!"
Thanks Don, I can see them now. I had previously logged in to download the latest Card Culture. It must have logged me out or got confused, because I no longer could see that page either even though it looked like I was logged in.

You are correct limited to a brick at $325 or 1/2 brick for $165. They also updated the deck count limit to 500 total.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 12:12:32 PM by Shade »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Here are some bigger pics of this year's club deck.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:26:22 AM by PrincessTrouble »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
What's wrong with this picture?

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
ah no, please say it isn't so.  :mindf-ck:
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

Yes, it is.  :(   Not cool for a $35 deck.

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:

Yes, it is.  :(   Not cool for a $35 deck.

While I understand your passion, I think it's a bit misguided. Sure it's a $35 deck, but what this really is ... is an original club deck created by Mark Stutzman. There are only 500, and they are just for our membership. You won't see them advertised outside of our club.

What surprises me the most is not a single person has spoken about all the Tom Dawson homage found within this deck. Please take a moment to look passed Pip-Gate, and you'll find the cool intricacies Mark embedded in memory of Tom.

Hope that helps make you feel a little better.  :)

Mark

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I appreciate that it's a very nice, limited deck but to not even address the issue of the pips is disrespectful to the club members who bought the deck (some in multiples).

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
I appreciate that it's a very nice, limited deck but to not even address the issue of the pips is disrespectful to the club members who bought the deck (some in multiples).

Sorry you feel this way, Mark. I found out about the extra pip when it was posted here. There's no conspiracy folks. Mistakes were made before it went to print. No one caught it.

We hope you'll accept our apologies.

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
For me, no apology needed.

Mistakes happen. I've been there with companies that have made them and almost made them myself. I know it sounds like something simple should be so easy to avoid, but when you're working on a project day in and day out and you're staring at the project so much, you honestly kind of skip over the simple things 'cause, at least that's how I feel, you think you won't make them.

Mistake or not, it's still a very beautiful deck.

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
If anything, I'd think the misprint would make it a rarity among playing cards and possibly more sought after than other club decks.  It also makes for a cool gaff card!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Eddie Hughlett

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
What surprises me the most is not a single person has spoken about all the Tom Dawson homage found within this deck. Please take a moment to look passed Pip-Gate, and you'll find the cool intricacies Mark embedded in memory of Tom.

I see the resemblance to Tom in the jokers, and I see the TD on the flap but other than that I'm missing any others. I'd like to know what the other design elements are so I can point them out to others....
"...almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."

- S.W. Erdnase

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
If anything, I'd think the misprint would make it a rarity among playing cards and possibly more sought after than other club decks.  It also makes for a cool gaff card!

??? Come on Don. This isn't stamps or coins, you know playing cards don't work that way. I'm not going to beat a dead horse. Human error, it happens. I myself am a human and make many errors daily, some intentional although mixing cocoa with my coffee this morning was not one of those. It was a straight up and down dumbass moment, which I regretted for the next fifteen minutes. I think it's an impressive deck with or without the bonus pip. I did however have to comment after reading that bit. Now I'm going back to my corner and do what Fess's do.

Edit: Since imagination is a terrible thing and in case anyone is wondering what Fess is doing... Cranberries baby, cranberries. Tomorrow is US Thanksgiving.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 07:29:11 PM by Fess »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:

Given the no. of decks that come into market these days as well as the fact that inflating price point due to artificial rarity may not go well with the collectors (a few I know despise it these days), I think the best bet and personal opinion is to get the error rectified and send an apology to current buyers. This will be appreciated by both buyers and non-buyers.

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
I hate to do this...

But I wonder where this Tiwan is located...
Form Follows Function

Lee Asher

• CardStar
  • Administrator
  • Frequent Flyer
  • Is this thing on?

• Twitter:
Although many of us have kept our beautiful 2016 decks sealed, as you know we've come to find out that the 6 clubs has an extra pip.  Furthermore, the tuck box indicates the deck was made in Tiwan. While amusing to some, these are objectionable issues to others.

As the President of the 52 Plus Joker, I must take fault for the situation. You have my sincerest apologies for any mistakes found on the deck. They come honestly, and due to this unforeseen incident, next year we will have more checks & balances put in place so this doesn't happen again.

Additionally, for the record, discussions with the Taiwan embassy broke down and led us to conclude that they are not willing to change their name. ;)

Therefore, in response to all of this, 52 Plus Joker will be enacting the following immediately:

1. Reprinting the 6 clubs as well as the tuck box.

2. Steve Bowling (52 Plus Joker Treasurer) will include replacement card(s) and flat tuck box(es) with your March CTD, equivalent to the number of decks you have purchased.

3. Mr. Bowling has complete records of all orders after the convention. All members who attended the convention (where we did not record sales by member) will receive three cards and boxes.  If you bought more than three in Chicago, please advise Steve Bowling by emailing him at srbbowling@gmail.com.

4. All orders received after December 1, 2016 will be held until they can be shipped with the replacements.

One last thought -- I don't personally profit on any of this, nor does anyone else in the club.

52 Plus Joker is comprised of volunteers who simply love playing cards like everyone else. You can rest assured knowing that proceeds from this deck sale (or any of the club's sales) go to the club's treasury which helps keep:

- cost of membership low
- convention registration fees low
- hotel prices at the convention low

I hope that clarifies everything, and makes the world right again for those who were upset.

Thank you once more for your understanding, and patience.

With much love & respect,
Lee Asher
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 10:24:08 AM by Lee Asher »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
 :D

Thank you so much for this info, Lee!

Like you said, mistakes happen and more often than not, the team involved is more horrified at the issue than everyone else. I've been there myself, unfortunately.

Thank again, to you and the board of the 52+J, for doing standing up thing to ensure that all members are happy!

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks Lee.  This is the right thing to do, especially for those of us that play cards with their decks.  It might easier to overlook the misprint on a $15 Kickstarter deck, but for a $35 premium deck, I would expect a corrected card and you've met my expectations.

Mark

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Thank you Lee, this is a good resolution. Things like this make the club something special.

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
Honestly i can live with it.

The Tiwan part is super funny and harmless to me, it kind of makes it rarer and more valuable if theres a "corrected" version of this deck in the future but i understand some people might feel that a premium deck shouldn't have this kind of mistakes.

We also got a great gaff card in that 6/7 of spades.

Its an amazing deck im keeping it!
Form Follows Function