EL DORADO Playing cards - MAYA - KS
« on: October 03, 2016, 08:38:29 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
EL DORADO Playing cards - MAYA
 by Emmanuel Valtierra

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: EL DORADO Playing cards - MAYA - KS
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 04:53:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I dig these, but I think they'd be better with red ink on the red faces.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 04:41:13 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I dig these, but I think they'd be better with red ink on the red faces.

They will not.  We debated the issue with him and he's sticking with the gold color for hearts and diamonds too.  :(

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Relaunched, check out the color deck. I like it quite a bit myself.

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 03:40:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The color deck rocks.  I still wish he's change the black-gold deck to have red faces on red-suited cards - it would really look sweet.  The gold is OK, but the red would be so much better.  The gold works nicely for the black-suited cards.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 05:08:04 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
I'm not a fan of the black deck at all personally. It does not suit my taste and the eye feel is terrible. I'm sure there is some artistic something going on here but I've missed the boat on it entirely. To me there is a lot more wrong with the black deck than just a red card back.

I think it's worth pointing out here though that the design is so strong, a lot of the finer details of the design were hidden with the very flat black deck. The colored deck I am absolutely in love with. I didn't like the little doohickeys under the indices on the black deck, on the color deck they're great. I didn't care for the card back too much on the black deck, on the color deck it's quite nice. I've always likes the pips, I think they pop much better on the color deck though. The courts have always been interesting but the color courts are really good. I don't have to work to see them. Eye feel is way up across the board. Minus of course the stone marks in the background cards, it instantly limits the use of the deck for me and decreases my pledge from 3-6 decks to 1 deck. The stone marks, faux aging, whatever you want to call it aside though. The design pops in color, the color choices are fantastic! Emmanuel has brought his design to life with color and I hope to see more of it in the future. I can't imagine this deck not funding. Unless people just don't register it exists since he seems to be pushing the black deck harder.

It's also interesting to me to see the black deck taking the lead on the campaign page, it was a failed campaign when it was on it's own. Is it a case of artistic love? I don't know. I do know that it was easy for me to overlook the entire second campaign based on the KS image and the initial lay out of the page. If I hadn't wanted to dig deeper to see if that color card was part of it's own deck on the thumbnail I would have easily skipped this over entirely and went on to looking at that super cool flat measuring spoon, which was my whole reason for being on KS at the time anyway. It's only out of habit that I load up the Playing Cards section and sort it by new whenever I'm there.