You are Here:
Local Stores That Stock Tally-Ho Decks?

Author (Read 1895 times)

Local Stores That Stock Tally-Ho Decks?
« on: November 28, 2016, 10:25:08 PM »

MrSlaybury

I live in New England, USA.  As much as I love supporting online businesses, I'm never going to shy away from a local purchase.  I found some Bee's at Bed Bath and Beyond for $3.29, and Rite Aid had 50% of decks all week for Black Friday.  Grabbed some Bee's as well as some breast cancer Bikes and a couple Panda Decks just for the lulz. But..

For the life of me, I can't find Tallys anywhere locally.  Sometimes I just like to go cruise to the store and pop open a freshly bought deck.  I even went into the closest Magic store to me in Peabody, MA (over an hour away), and they didn't even have any Tallys.

Has anyone found some locally outside of their local magic store?  Even if you don't live near me, I'm just curious to know.  Maybe there's places I'm overlooking.

Thanks everyone!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 10:26:05 PM by MrSlaybury »

Re: Local Stores That Stock Tally-Ho Decks?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 03:20:56 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Has anyone found some locally outside of their local magic store?  Even if you don't live near me, I'm just curious to know.  Maybe there's places I'm overlooking.

I'm in the Western US. Outside of a Magic store, only twice and both times were at antique shops in very small towns that sold all kinds of various items. They had a few choices of playing cards to cater to their poker playing crowd. From what I gathered at both stores they were similar situations. Small groups would go in and ham it up, kind of like a once a week hang out sort of thing they had the decks for those fellas. Each shop had a few Bees and Tally Ho near the knives/firearms/WW2 areas.

I've also found 1 deck of STUD at a candy shop on route 66 once. No idea how or for who. The young lady running the register had nothing to offer in terms of information about the STUD other than to charge me $2.99 for it. She was a font of information when it came to salted licorice, jelly beans and most importantly knew where they stashed the Sen-Sen. Curiously enough, the antique shops who had some small measure of gambling related items (Novelty roulette wheels and that kind of thing) didn't have any playing cards at all. I have come across some bridge sized playing cards in Mom & Pop owned crafting stores too but no Tally-Ho.

I love Tally-Ho circle backs, they're my most used deck by a mile. I know how you feel about never being able to just walk into a store and pick some up.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 01:38:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I live in New England, USA.  As much as I love supporting online businesses, I'm never going to shy away from a local purchase.  I found some Bee's at Bed Bath and Beyond for $3.29, and Rite Aid had 50% of decks all week for Black Friday.  Grabbed some Bee's as well as some breast cancer Bikes and a couple Panda Decks just for the lulz. But..

For the life of me, I can't find Tallys anywhere locally.  Sometimes I just like to go cruise to the store and pop open a freshly bought deck.  I even went into the closest Magic store to me in Peabody, MA (over an hour away), and they didn't even have any Tallys.

Thanks everyone!

Tally Ho is considered a regional deck by USPC.  Outside of magic shops, it's only distributed in the New York City area.  Can other shops get it from there?  Probably.  But most won't try.  Generally speaking, USPC only pushes the nationally-recognized brands with the bulk of their marketing - Bicycle and Bee, period.  Kem to a lesser degree.  Special prints get some attention, like the Aristocrat reprints, but mostly among card collectors - you're not likely to find those at the local outlet of your favorite national drugstore chain.  Hoyles are hard to find, Aviators are mostly sold just in airports, Mavericks are infrequently seen outside of the South or Family Dollar stores.

Theory11 has some of the best pricing on Tally Ho decks I've seen online.  They can get them cheaper than I can buy them in New York.  I was paying three bucks a pack at a local fruit-and-vegetable market a short walk from my apartment, but that was back in 2015, before I got separated from my second wife!  I've moved since and they're less easily-found in my area (lower Westchester County).
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 02:18:40 AM »

MrSlaybury

As always, great info! Thank you!

I ordered a 3 pack of Fan Backs from Amazon: red, blue, and Ellusionist's Viper deck.  Fourteen bucks with free shipping.  I definitely prefer the FBs.  It's always fun to use a black deck, but due to my absolute obsession with faro shuffling the corners get trashed super quick.  Still, I liked that deal considering E's prices.

I've really only been into cards at this level for the last year or so, and I never tried anything from Theory11...until a couple weeks ago.  I went into Barnes and Noble and saw a small card display, and when I searched through it they had almost every T11 deck!  I did not expect that.  I picked up a pack of Green Monarchs, and holy smokes!  They felt so similar to the circle backs I bought; absolutely amazing.

Ive since bought Artisans, Citizens, Blue Monarchs, and Archangels.  Definitely live up to everything I've read about their cards.  Plus, B&N was running a 25% off sale plus I had a 25% off coupon, and I live in tax-free NH lol. 

After practicing with Bikes for hours a day, I'll go back to the Tallys, T11's, and the couple Ellusionist decks I have and they're just so darn smooth.  I'm really wreck decks pretty fast, but these quality decks just make me have even more fun!  I am learning every trick I can find that uses a faro, and I think I'm ready to buy some published work to learn more.  So long as the cards are right, I faro perfectly 95% of the time, and I can't let all this practice go to waste.  I can't wait to see what it's like after years and years of practice!  With the exception of a deck with a Traditional Cut, nothing makes the faro smoother for me than Tally's and everything I've tried from T11.

I got slightly off topic, but to sum it up: 

I proposed to a Tally Hos...AND THEY SAID YES!!!