Overlords - Classic style Playing Cards with a Sci Fi Twist - KS
« on: November 21, 2016, 06:51:32 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Overlords - Classic style Playing Cards with a Sci Fi Twist
by TwoGeeksGaming

Why do a Classic Deck this time? Well, to be perfectly honest we love those classic looking decks. I mean, who doesn't. They are the most widely used style of decks produced today. When we made the decision to try our hand at one, we knew right out of the gate that we needed to keep those classic "bones" of the deck, but then put in our own unique vision and style wherever we could without altering that well known look too much. Overlords is what we came up with. A classic style Poker Deck with a unique Sci Fi twist... inspired by Dune, Highlander and yes, even Romeo and Juliet.

Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Overlords - Classic style Playing Cards with a Sci Fi Twist - KS
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 01:20:00 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
For me, it's a meh design with a meh manufacturer.  A bit boring for this market, considering all the all-original deck ideas out there now, and an all-black back with an all-white front means people will moan about it not being a good deck for some magic tricks, though I could see some collectors not caring if they liked the art enough.  But that's the thing - the art's barely any different than a standard face.  And don't get me started on Noir Arts as the printer...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 02:10:10 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
The font on these, ugh. It makes me want to be very honest and butcher this deck. I'm not going to do that. Everyone can see the pips, simplified tweaked courts and the font, ugh. Even though I enjoy Sci-Fi this are not to my taste, which isn't unexpected really. I haven't cared or their other two decks either. I doubt I'm the target audience and I'm sure that audience is going to enjoy these designs and be quite happy with this offering.

On the NPCC front, word is they've upgraded some of their process. I'll be able to say more when my expected decks arrive, which have nothing to do with this campaign or it's designers, next month or in early Jan. Something to look forward to hopefully. I like it when companies build upon what they have and make advancement toward being better. It's going to be fun to see what kind of product they're producing now.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:10:52 AM by Fess »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 11:46:56 PM »

Connor X

• Newcomer
  • Heyo!
 They're too basic and don't add much. I like Sci-Fi, but if you make a Sci-Fi deck, you need to go all in.

On the topic of Sci-Fi and space themed decks, can you think of any good ones?

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 11:57:27 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
They're too basic and don't add much. I like Sci-Fi, but if you make a Sci-Fi deck, you need to go all in.

Can do I'll PM you so this thread isn't diverted too much. ;)

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 06:24:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Can do I'll PM you so this thread isn't diverted too much. ;)

Well, you COULD just make a NEW topic and share the information with the rest of the class...  :))
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/