Author (Read 2680 times)

Haere Mai: Playing Cards from New Zealand - KS
« on: October 03, 2016, 08:13:48 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:40:06 AM by Fess »
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

Re: Haere Mai: Playing Cards from New Zealand - KS
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 04:19:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Has some interesting design features.  They're pretty unique, but I don't know if they'll make it to the stretch goal.  Anyone heard of their primary printer?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 04:53:52 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:
Has some interesting design features.  They're pretty unique, but I don't know if they'll make it to the stretch goal.  Anyone heard of their primary printer?

WJ Printing Co. is the primary printer.

http://www.wangjingchina.com/
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:55:09 AM by leangyan »

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 05:07:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Know anything about their quality?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 05:53:10 AM »

leangyan

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

• Kickstarter:

Know anything about their quality?

Don,

I don't own any of their decks but while working on Ganjifa, they were recommended to me by Robert Tomlinson who has done a project or two with them.

e.g. Gettysburg project:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2060803491/gettysburg-playing-cards/description

In fact, he started one of his recent projects "Rise of a nation" with them but changed the printer to USPCC near the end of the campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/589085899/rise-of-a-nation-playing-cards/description

Here, he mentions the following:

The nice thing WJ Printing provides that  MPC, EPCC and LPCC doesn't... is uncut sheets and tuck cases nearly identical to the ones USPCC produces.

Their quality is termed good generally, and I've heard that they do some work for another leading printer in the industry as well ;)

Regards,
Sunish
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:53:15 AM by leangyan »

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 07:36:34 AM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
From what I understand of WJ they produce what I call a players card, thin and resilient meant to be played and shuffled for hours on end. I also hear that they are open to making changes to how they produce playing cards for a result with a broader appeal. I have no experience with the deck mentioned above by Mr. Tomlinson because I don't do faux aged playing cards. So I can't comment on their edges, feel, etc. This is what I have heard from others. I'm open to giving them a shot and seeing what they're about.

Lets keep in mind that the campaign is in NZD. NZD is currently about 0.73 USD so it's around $10 for a deck and GW handling a lions share of the fulfillment keeps the shipping respectable. Example 4 decks is $45 us shipped, not bad at all.

The design is unique and fun. I think with EPCC being the primary printer from the get go, these fund No Problem. Going with a relatively unknown, to the KS crowd, printer and initially being so hush hush about who this was introduced the challenge. Many prospective backers assume the worst in that situation and shy away regardless of their desire to have a deck or two of these well designed decks. Being open about the printer whatever company it is will always be a good idea. Even so, this campaign will fund unless it's completely derailed by some unforeseen circumstances.

Somewhere in the back of my mind, I have this nagging feeling that I've seen some of this design before. Which makes me wonder if this is it's first time on KS. Maybe I saw something somewhere else and that's what it is that's giving me this feeling. Either way, I like these decks.
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 11:19:12 AM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Lets keep in mind that the campaign is in NZD. NZD is currently about 0.73 USD so it's around $10 for a deck and GW handling a lions share of the fulfillment keeps the shipping respectable. Example 4 decks is $45 us shipped, not bad at all.

Sorry Fess, but i think that you are using 'around 10' a little too broadly as the price for a deck is more than just $10 a deck, unless you live in New Zealand.  For a single deck, it's more than $15, for two decks it's about 13 and for 3 decks it's a little under 12...and that is only for those that live in the US or NZ.

I too really like this design and have backed in hopes that it will exceed the EPCC stretch goal, but if they don't make it, I will definitely be pulling out as I am not paying 13-15 a deck for a relatively unknown printer. 

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 06:23:16 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Sorry Fess, but i think that you are using 'around 10' a little too broadly as the price for a deck is more than just $10 a deck, unless you live in New Zealand.  For a single deck, it's more than $15, for two decks it's about 13 and for 3 decks it's a little under 12...and that is only for those that live in the US or NZ.

I too really like this design and have backed in hopes that it will exceed the EPCC stretch goal, but if they don't make it, I will definitely be pulling out as I am not paying 13-15 a deck for a relatively unknown printer.

Right you are! I was going off the tier I selected and apparently that's an EB tier. I can certainly understand reluctance to back at various price points. These are definitely more than $10 a deck.

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 07:39:49 PM »

montenzi

Hi! Thanks for comments. We may announce EPCC as  a printer earlier than NZ$9900.

p.s. we do believe that OUR backers are not paying just for paper but they do value our efforts to create this deck.

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 07:56:53 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
Hi! Thanks for comments. We may announce EPCC as  a printer earlier than NZ$9900.

p.s. we do believe that OUR backers are not paying just for paper but they do value our efforts to create this deck.

First of all, Welcome to PCF Montenzi!  We hope to see more of you and your creativity!  As you are new to things, please take the time and look around the site as there is a wealth of information here for anyone interested in playing cards, especially artists like yourself.

As of Haere Mai, your backers, including myself, definitely value your efforts (especially artwork) to create this deck.  But unfortunately, the artwork and efforts can only take you so far as many people use the cards for more than just viewing as artwork and thus there are other features that they expect to have, which generally the 'big 3' can provide, especially for a price of 13-15.   8)

Hope you can lower that EPCC stretch goal and even if we do not make it, I will still probably back for one or two decks as support of your efforts (especially coming to the boards to hear everyone's opinion and taking actions to take suggestions into consideration) ;)

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

Welcome to the forum and thank you for chiming in. That is good news about possibly being able to lower the stretch goal. EPCC would be most welcome. Being one of your backers, it's a combination of the paper as well as your design. While it's known that some collectors do not open their decks a great many of us actually do open them and use the cards to whatever our ends turn out to be, magic, games, cardistry, etc. As collectors with various tastes and purposes we don't see eye to eye on many things, however Quality is the one thing we all agree upon. Quality of the card and quality of the design are both very important. I assure you, your backers are indeed backing the paper as well as the design.

We have all seen many decks that were designed exceptionally well, not do as well as they would have based upon the paper. As a designer you have your ideas about what's important and as consumers we have ours. The trick is to meet somewhere that benefits us both. I don't envy you the task of designing and running a ks campaign that will meet your goals funding and delivering the best product you can, this is not an easy thing to do. In my opinion you are doing a fine job of listening to your backers desires, trying to meet the high standards of quality our more outspoken brethren demand and ultimately it will pay off for you to do so.

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2016, 08:55:52 PM »

montenzi

100% agree. Trust me - the best product will be delivered to our backers.  More news to come. Thank you for your support!

p.s.  I can't tell you everything right now ;)  Please understand. All updates will be available on our project's page.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 09:20:22 PM by montenzi »

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 07:11:45 PM »

montenzi

Hi! Good news - decks will be shipped to our backers very soon.

We love the result!

You can find more photos in our latest update. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montenzi/haere-mai-playing-cards-from-new-zealand/posts/1777692

thanks!
@montenzi