You are Here:
House of Cards Cardstock

Author (Read 804 times)

House of Cards Cardstock
« on: October 23, 2017, 04:11:46 AM »

Griffix

• Newcomer
Hello, I had a quick question that I could never get a straight answer for. What is the best type of card stock to use for cards intended for building houses/structures with?

I own several decks of cards but only 2 of them (my Dad's old Bicycle playing cards) seem to be good for building structures with. I've bought various brands of cards like the new Bicycle or themed ones like Firefly but the material they use has a weak, plastic-y feel to them and my structures don't hold up as well anymore. Currently I'm designing a deck of cards as a celebratory thing for my Skyrim mod team (the deck will be in-game) and wanted a deck for myself that I could use to play with but to also build with. I want to replace my Dad's cards as my building cards because they're old and valuable to me, I test my structures with weights and don't want them to bend up bent so I'm looking to build a deck that I can create structures with.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: House of Cards Cardstock
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »

Cardfool

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
You should contact Scott Dyer of Card Stories (cardstories.co) as he is an amazing builder of card structures.  He would know best ;)

Re: House of Cards Cardstock
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 12:44:47 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello, I had a quick question that I could never get a straight answer for. What is the best type of card stock to use for cards intended for building houses/structures with?

I own several decks of cards but only 2 of them (my Dad's old Bicycle playing cards) seem to be good for building structures with. I've bought various brands of cards like the new Bicycle or themed ones like Firefly but the material they use has a weak, plastic-y feel to them and my structures don't hold up as well anymore. Currently I'm designing a deck of cards as a celebratory thing for my Skyrim mod team (the deck will be in-game) and wanted a deck for myself that I could use to play with but to also build with. I want to replace my Dad's cards as my building cards because they're old and valuable to me, I test my structures with weights and don't want them to bend up bent so I'm looking to build a deck that I can create structures with.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The heaviest card stock I've seen to date is the Robusto stock from Expert Playing Card Company at http:\\expertplayingcard.com.  The stock's exceptionally sturdy - while it will weigh a little more than what you're used to, it will also be exceptionally stiff for constructing highly stable houses of cards.  The next step up from that stuff would be something like corrugated cardboard!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/