You are Here:
Phonograph 5

Author (Read 5696 times)

Phonograph 5
« on: March 12, 2017, 10:18:37 PM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Hello everyone I have not been on in a while I have a new deck that I hope to launch this year after I finish getting my last deck out to the backers. Here is phonograph 5 the court cards are inspired by my favorite deck made by Goodall. I am still working on some specifics but I was thinking about going with EPCC this time and doing two decks one would be limited to 500 with special features.
If at first you don't succeed try try again

Re: Phonograph 5
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2017, 06:43:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hello everyone I have not been on in a while I have a new deck that I hope to launch this year after I finish getting my last deck out to the backers. Here is phonograph 5 the court cards are inspired by my favorite deck made by Goodall. I am still working on some specifics but I was thinking about going with EPCC this time and doing two decks one would be limited to 500 with special features.

I like what I see so far.

You're going to need VERY PRECISE cutting on the cards to get the back right and prevent it from being a one-way design.  Expert's good at this, but you might still want to consider a tweak to somehow simplify the pattern a little.  Either that or give it a border, perhaps a "Stinger" type fade-to-white border.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:28:22 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
Looks good Landry!  I especially like the colour palette you've used for the court cards.

Out of curiosity, what is the Charles Goodall deck that inspired your designs here?

Anything you can share about the significance of the name of this deck?

Keep up the great work!
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »

NineLives

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Colours are looking good - I'd be biting my fingernails waiting to see the registration of the card backs, though if done well it would look great :)

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:03:01 PM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular

Out of curiosity, what is the Charles Goodall deck that inspired your designs here?

Anything you can share about the significance of the name of this deck?

Keep up the great work!

Thanks for the comments and questions everyone. I have decided to change the card back as the first one was just not up to par with the theme. The court cards are from a deck that seems to be rare and it was printed by Charles Goodall around 1898-1900. I don't know what the name of the deck is It could be a Bezique Deck unfortunately I could not find any pictures of the tuck box. I chose the name Phonograph 5 because I love the look of phonographs and I felt it fit the time period. I have some pictures of the original courts below along with my new card back and the tuck box. I was hoping to do two decks with color swaps. The second deck would be a stretch goal. I want to try 2 colors of foil on the tuck box, gold yellow and Green on the first deck. Gold yellow and Purple on the second deck. I don't know if I should stay with the diamond finish or if I should try the Elite finish for this deck. And I was thinking of using the same material as the chameleons by Asi Wind. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks Landry
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:33:18 AM by lms_jam »

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 01:24:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks for the comments and questions everyone. I have decided to change the card back as the first one was just not up to par with the theme. The court cards are from a deck that seems to be rare and it was printed by Charles Goodall around 1898-1900. I don't know what the name of the deck is It could be a Bezique Deck unfortunately I could not find any pictures of the tuck box. I chose the name Phonograph 5 because I love the look of phonographs and I felt it fit the time period. I have some pictures of the original courts below along with my new card back and the tuck box. I was hoping to do two decks with color swaps. The second deck would be a stretch goal. I want to try 2 colors of foil on the tuck box, gold yellow and Green on the first deck. Gold yellow and Blue on the second deck. I don't know if I should stay with the diamond finish or if I should try the Elite finish for this deck. And I was thinking of using the same material as the chameleons by Asi Wind. Your thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks Landry

I'm enjoying the design so far, really.

The stock for the cards and the stock for the tuck on the Chameleons are among my favorites.  The synthetic tuck material is practically bulletproof compared to typical paper tuck boxes and will protect the cards much better.  The cardstock they used on it has a nice, supple feel to it.

I like the idea of using bright, vivid colors on the tuck box - something really eye catching.  My only tweak I'd suggest is a slightly bolder shade of blue for the blue backs.  The red looks fine, but the blues look a little washed out.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 01:42:14 AM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Thanks Don I wrote blue but I meant purple. The backs are red and purple. All my colors go together but they all seem to be kind of washed out I think I will tweak the colors a bit. I think going with the synthetic tuck material is a good choice and the elite finish is nice I'm assuming that's the same for the chameleons it doesn't say on the box. Thanks again for the input maybe I could call you and we could have a chat again it was nice and I have questions about shipping prices Kickstarter questions.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 01:47:36 AM by lms_jam »

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 02:05:29 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
I think going with the synthetic tuck material is a good choice and the elite finish is nice I'm assuming that's the same for the chameleons it doesn't say on the box.
The deck is shaping up nicely!

The Chameleons deck was produced by Expert Playing Card Company (EPCC), using their popular Classic finish, not the Elite finish. You can verify this here

In my opinion EPCC's Classic finish is closest to the air cushion style finish/feel of a Bicycle deck from USPCC.  That's probably why many designers of custom playing cards opt to go with the Classic finish.  Not many seem to opt for the Elite finish.

Don has done a very good write-up on the different finishes used by EPCC in the complimentary issue of Card Culture available here, which I recommend reading.  In that article he even featured the green Chameleons deck as representative of the Classic finish.  You'll also find some discussion about the Chameleons and its finish in this thread here.  I've done an extensive comparison between the different finishes available from EPCC/LPCC in my review here.
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 02:55:56 AM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Thanks Richard good articles to read. EPCC suggested the elite finish but I think I will go with the classic finish I do like the chameleons my self.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 05:26:11 AM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Here is the adjusted colors they are slightly darker less washed out, now I am just getting my artwork ready for EPCC to approve and print me a tuck box proof.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:44:35 AM by lms_jam »

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 01:44:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Here is the adjusted colors they are slightly darker less washed out, now I am just getting my artwork ready for EPCC to approve and print me a tuck box proof.

This deck could be some of your best work.

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 04:14:58 PM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular

Thanks Don that means a lot I have been trying hard to make this deck the best it can be.

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 02:06:41 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
I love the retro-style and classic look of this deck - it's shaping up very nicely, well done!

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks Don that means a lot I have been trying hard to make this deck the best it can be.

If you manage to get this deck made by June, I'd be happy to vote for it for the 2018 Diamond Awards!

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 02:18:21 AM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Thanks Don I appreciate that. I wish I could get it done by then but I'm not sure if it will happen. I really wanted to do foil on the tuck box but I I was just told that it won't be possible because of all the detail on the phonograph. I am now thinking if I have a more simpler phonograph then I can have foil. It would look great with foil but I really do like this phonograph so I am kind of torn at the moment. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:15:27 AM by lms_jam »

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2017, 03:10:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Thanks Don I appreciate that. I wish I could get it done by then but I'm not sure if it will happen. I really wanted to do foil on the tuck box but I I was just told that it won't be possible because of all the detail on the phonograph. I am now thinking if I have a more simpler phonograph then I can have foil. It would look great with foil but I really do like this phonograph so I am kind of torn at the moment. What do you guys think?

Go for the better art, I think.  Everyone's overusing foil these days.

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2017, 02:26:53 AM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Hello everyone here is the link to preview my Kickstarter page https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1427052189/1246246242?ref=ceh4ji&token=2b64f31d I think I have everything worked out. I would like to know what you think. I'm not sure when to launch yet I hate to compete against some good people that are putting out decks soon. I will keep you posted. Thanks again Landry
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 02:30:18 AM by lms_jam »

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 03:48:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello everyone here is the link to preview my Kickstarter page https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1427052189/1246246242?ref=ceh4ji&token=2b64f31d I think I have everything worked out. I would like to know what you think. I'm not sure when to launch yet I hate to compete against some good people that are putting out decks soon. I will keep you posted. Thanks again Landry

If you wait for the competition to thin out, you'll always be waiting and never launch!  Just take the plunge.  It's a good time because people are finishing their vacations and heading back to work and school, so they'll be spending more time online looking for diversions.

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Thanks Don I think I have my launch date figured out now probably next week. I will post something in a day or two.

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 07:50:40 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
Don is right; at some point you just have to pull the trigger Landry - if the project is good enough, people will support it regardless!

Update: This is now live here - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1427052189/phonograph-5-playing-cards

See a detailed preview article about this beautiful deck here: http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=10955

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 01:59:15 AM by EndersGame »

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 03:20:47 PM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Hello Everyone I am just getting back to work on this deck. I am talking to an artist about working on the tuck box and ace of spades. I have some ideas for the ace of spades and wanted to see what you think. I was looking at some old aces and I found this one and then I thought what if the ace of spades had Tomas Edison in the middle. I don't have any ideas yet for the tuck box just some sample tuck boxes from the time period. I will update you when we start working on the box later but for now we are just working on the ace of spades.

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 09:14:03 PM »

shaitani

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Newcomer
As cool as that AoS is, I'm trying to imagine how you'd incorporate Edison into it in a similar fashion... Will Edison be naked and draped in a partially revealing cloth?  :-\

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2017, 08:09:56 PM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Here is a rough sketch my artist drew up.

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
Here is a rough sketch my artist drew up.

That looks more like a preacher on a pulpit than a scientist ... appropriate for the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation on October 31st however! :)

« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 02:09:31 AM by EndersGame »

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2017, 08:25:49 PM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
It’s a rough sketch based on a picture of Edison that’s how he looked. I’m sure when we finish him and add color he will look great. I will post more when it’s available.

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 01:22:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
It’s a rough sketch based on a picture of Edison that’s how he looked. I’m sure when we finish him and add color he will look great. I will post more when it’s available.

Since your deck is called "Phonograph," perhaps something more like that iconic photo of Edison in front of a phonograph would be more apropos?

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 01:32:45 AM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
I think we are going to try just a phonograph in the center I think getting the Edison drawing to look good is going to be a challenge and I don’t want something that looks so so. I will post an update when it’s available Thanks for your feedback.

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 01:34:20 AM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
By the way Don Egor is working on my artwork. I think it will look good if we can work out the details.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 01:55:56 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
I look forward to seeing how this project continues to develop, Landry, and that you haven't given up after your initial Kickstarter attempt with this deck.

Your own signature line is great advice: "If at first you don't succeed try try again"!

You've done a great job already in evolving the deck from its first prototype - I especially think that the Goodall courts look terrific.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 03:11:56 AM by EndersGame »

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 02:57:58 AM »

lms_jam

• Forum Regular
Hello everyone I want to thank you for your feedback and show off the finished ace of spades. Next it's off to redesign the tuck box.