Animated Zodiac card game.
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:09:36 AM »

Tonymation

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hi folks.

I'm brand new here, so I'm feeling my way in.

I've launched a card game on Kickstarter that's unique in the sense that when you get a winning hand the cards animate by them being flipped. The game has a Zodiac and Planetary theme to it. A single hand in the game can take anything between 10 - 15minutes to play, with the entire game tending to take about 2-3 hours to complete. (Unless you can get a knockout hand pretty early into to the game... which is tough to do, but possible!) There are up to 22 possible winning animation possibilities drawn into the cards.

I'm looking for feedback as the Kickstarter clock is ticking and I want to make the campaign as effective as possible. So all ideas (and pledges, if you like it that much?) are welcome.

Thanks in anticipation!

Tony.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794056159/i-am-8
'If you can think it, you can draw it. If you can draw it, you can animate it!'

Re: Animated Zodiac card game.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 12:30:35 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Hi folks.

I'm brand new here, so I'm feeling my way in.

I've launched a card game on Kickstarter that's unique in the sense that when you get a winning hand the cards animate by them being flipped. The game has a Zodiac and Planetary theme to it. A single hand in the game can take anything between 10 - 15minutes to play, with the entire game tending to take about 2-3 hours to complete. (Unless you can get a knockout hand pretty early into to the game... which is tough to do, but possible!) There are up to 22 possible winning animation possibilities drawn into the cards.

I'm looking for feedback as the Kickstarter clock is ticking and I want to make the campaign as effective as possible. So all ideas (and pledges, if you like it that much?) are welcome.

Thanks in anticipation!

Tony.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1794056159/i-am-8

Wow - two to three HOURS to play a full game, and ten to fifteen minutes to play a SINGLE HAND?  That's LONG.

Once upon a time, kids and people in general had the time and patience for games that took a long time to play.  These days, kids (and their parents) that have been weaned on videogames and instant gratification won't have a lot of time or the necessary attention span for a game that takes that long to play.  The more popular card games take as long to complete as a single hand of your game takes.  I'm lucky if I can get a few guys together for poker for two to three hours, and that's several hands/games of poker (depends on how you define a game).

You might want to devise a short version of the game as well, something that can be played in 30 minutes or less.  Do that and you might find a greater audience that's interested.  Either that or target your game specifically at the kinds of game players that have the time and patience for a long-playing game.  Find them and market to them mercilessly!

Looking at the video, I noticed something about the game - it plays a lot like rummy, but has a large hand of cards a lot like bridge.  Are you using poker-sized cards or bridge-sized cards?  Bridge-sized cards would be better suited to a game where players have to hold so many cards in their hands, though this does mean your artwork will need to be a quarter-inch more narrow to fit on the cards (assuming it was sized for poker-sized cards).

Have you considered a simplified version of the game where you print your animations on a standard deck?  That might be a bigger seller and make the game more versatile, allowing it to be used to play more games than just I AM.  At the least, I'd consider simplifying it down to 78 cards - equal to a tarot deck.  This would mean a retooling of your Kickstarter - it's something you'd do if your project wasn't successful - but it also means that you'd be reducing the project's costs by making a deck with fewer cards in it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 12:40:29 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/