Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Imagine, a deck release that DOESN'T USE KICKSTARTER! The horror!  The insanity!  :P

In an effort to try new things, I have a new project that you can read a little bit about on my updated site. http://encarded.com/pages/encarded-signature-series

The collectors out there will probably find it interesting that this will be the first independently designed deck to use the Expert Playing Card Company for the printing. The CARC Exquisite deck came out amazing, IMO, and Zenith will use the same magic formula (but of course with all the design and luxury features I love to explore). Using EPCC means I can do small runs of unique ideas and I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.

Discuss away!

Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: Anti-KS : Encarded Zenith
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Hey Paul

Ok let's do it  put them up for sale now  I am ready to buy hehe.  I love the expert playing card company.  So when can we expect them?

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:33:17 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Love it, love EPCC, when can we expect some of these puppies??

Doing great things Paul!
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Awesome! I've been waiting for this one to come out.

Jackson
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »

splice42

• True Member
I mean, I'd like to comment, but those "modern cutting-edge super closeup angleshots" make it real difficult to tell what the whole card looks like.

I like the EPCC Exquisites, so if it's the same stock, nice. But I have no idea of what your cards really look like, so, yeah.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Very nice!

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:48:27 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I think it's great your stepping outside the KS box Paul, can't wait to see more of the card design.

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I like the idea for many reasons.
1- a new deck from Encarded it's great news.
2- USPCC must have a competitor. When there's competition, there's progress, new ideas, new offers. The playing card world deserves a healthy competition;
3- Having a real limited edition is great. Lately we see decks "ultra limited" with a 5000 run;
4- Love the idea of numbering the decks. That is proper of a limited edition.
5- That can also means a lower cost of production, so we may expect lower prices (?).

I'm anxious to see more pictures.

keep up the good work.

Enthusiast collector

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2014, 04:16:31 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
To answer some questions, it will hopefully be "soon." We are proofing things now, and I hope for a release in the near future, as opposed to months from now. These will be on encarded.com exclusively.

I will release more images, the story, the design motivations, etc as we move along.

Being able to print only 1,000 decks is only possible with EPCC, but as with any kind of printing anywhere, lower volume = higher costs. EPCC still would prefer you do 5,000+ decks of course, they just don't put you through the ringer as much if you want less. Printing with EPCC makes the costs manageable, but don't expect a limited run of only 1,000 decks with metallic inks, embossing, holographic foils and custom seals to be $5. :)

I think this will be a very exciting release, bringing EPCC into the light a little more. And as with everything I do, it's quite a bit different from my previous decks. I was looking at the face proof yesterday and the art is just so tight on those edges. Lovely. (I already have signature series #2 in the design pipeline and those 3mm perfect borders let you do some wild things...)
Paul Carpenter

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2014, 05:04:08 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
Loved the Exquisites, love Encarded, love those courts.

I think you have a winner here, Paul :D
- Tom

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2014, 05:25:02 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Bill Kalush mentioned that he was looking to expand Expert to do just this kind of work - glad to see that you're the first to take the plunge!  I think you'll be very pleased.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2014, 05:27:51 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
I'm very excited for this.   :D I haven't handled cards from EPCC,  so I  can't say anything in regards to quality (anyways,  it looks like EPCC is well liked based on the responses,  so no problems there)  but I'm sure the card designs will be awesome as always,  so I'm very much looking forward to this.  :)

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 05:28:41 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Bill Kalush and all the folks at CARC and EPCC are awesome; I can't wait to see what you unveil Paul!

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2014, 05:36:19 PM »

chach

• Forum Regular
Loved the Exquisites, love Encarded, love those courts.

I think you have a winner here, Paul :D

Took the words right out of my mouth. 
-El Guapo

ISO - Vietnam vintage Bicycle Secret Weapon Aces of Spades deck.

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I really like you work! I cant wait to see more!  The sneak peak you have given looks great!  I hope to get my hands on a deck!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 07:05:45 PM »

sqratch

• Newcomer
Like what I see so far..

I like the idea to use a different printer for some stuff.

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 07:22:26 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
I'm very excited for this.   :D I haven't handled cards from EPCC,  so I  can't say anything in regards to quality (anyways,  it looks like EPCC is well liked based on the responses,  so no problems there)  but I'm sure the card designs will be awesome as always,  so I'm very much looking forward to this.  :)

You can still pick up the Exquisite deck from CARC which is an EPCC deck. Handles great.

But excellent news, Paul. I guess the only thing is to wait and make sure to at least buy a deck.

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 08:29:58 PM »

sr15

• Discourse Veteran
who do i gotta kill to get these???

side note: I'm actually not a huge fan of the way EPCC decks handle. They're certainly not bad, but in general I think USPCC decks handle better (comparing custom USPCC decks to the Legends and Exquisites). Maybe I'm just more used to them, who knows. Either way I'm a huge fan of everything Encarded puts out so I can't wait for these.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 03:48:08 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'm actually not a huge fan of the way EPCC decks handle. They're certainly not bad, but in general I think USPCC decks handle better (comparing custom USPCC decks to the Legends and Exquisites). Maybe I'm just more used to them, who knows. Either way I'm a huge fan of everything Encarded puts out so I can't wait for these.

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but the difference between the Global Titans and Exquisite (for me) is massive. I'm not a magician personally, just a collector - but the latter felt absolutely amazing and I can see why it's getting rave reviews.

Looking forward to this Paul.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 04:15:18 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Hey Paul.  I went to the page you linked and at the bottom, tried to subscribe to the newsletter.  Got this:

Come, Watson, come! The game is afoot.
You've stumbled upon a missing page, but the evidence is elementary. We're on the case.

Just FYI. 

Can't wait for the signature series, BTW!

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:09 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey Paul.  I went to the page you linked and at the bottom, tried to subscribe to the newsletter.  Got this:

Come, Watson, come! The game is afoot.
You've stumbled upon a missing page, but the evidence is elementary. We're on the case.

Just FYI. 

Can't wait for the signature series, BTW!

Thanks Princess, I'll check it out and get it fixed.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 04:29:51 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Also very excited to see more. Also unable to subscribe. Also hoping that competition makes USPCC hone their edges and tighten their game a bit; maybe a challenger for the crown will have them lowering prices or adding new tools to their belts? I won't stop being their fanboy but I wouldn't mind them sweating it out a little if it benefits us.

All I hear about are the Exquisites, do EPCCs other decks have any merits?
Will the stock for this deck be the same as the Exquisites?
How thin can they get their borders?? ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 04:30:24 PM by Justin O. »
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 04:41:06 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Also very excited to see more. Also unable to subscribe. Also hoping that competition makes USPCC hone their edges and tighten their game a bit; maybe a challenger for the crown will have them lowering prices or adding new tools to their belts? I won't stop being their fanboy but I wouldn't mind them sweating it out a little if it benefits us.

All I hear about are the Exquisites, do EPCCs other decks have any merits?
Will the stock for this deck be the same as the Exquisites?
How thin can they get their borders?? ;)

The list subscribe is fixed, I had it pointed at the wrong list. Thanks for catching that!

EPCC has worked with their printer for a while now, refining many aspects of the cards and finishes and the Exquisite is the latest and best. I've had an Exquisite for a long while now and played with it extensively and I think it holds up and handles as well as any of my Bee+Magic decks from USPCC, though they do feel "different."

I love USPCC too, and will continue to use them for certain projects, but EPCC offers much more flexibility for certain projects.

Fun fact, EPCC currently looks for borders at 3mm. That is quite small, and USPCC managed that with Aurum. However, EPCC has excellent cutting registration, quite a bit more predictable than USPCC, which adds up to a very nice border effect and alignment throughout the deck.

Of course, Zenith has no border at all.... :P (though the unique design is such that proper alignment is critical)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 05:11:13 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
I really like what I see. Can't wait to see more. Love the fact that people are using "signature series". I expect big things if your putting your name on it. No need to call it something extravagant. Let the design do the talking for you.

I'm a little confused about using EPCC. I thought EPCC was using the Taiwanese manufacture now? I agree there is a huge difference between the Shanghai manufacture and Taiwanese. What are we talking about?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 05:24:38 PM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:30 PM »

john

• cham cham cham
  • Frequent Flyer
  • "Shh don't wake the bitches" - Zimos
I'm a little confused about using EPCC. I thought EPCC was using the Taiwanese manufacture now? I agree there is a huge difference between the Shanghai manufacture and Taiwanese. What are we talking about?

From what I understand EPCC finds companies from around the world to print high quality cards. So they use different factories for different wants/needs. I don't think EPCC "stopped" using the Shanghai printer, just hasn't used them since Global Titan. In Paul's case I would like to think he is using the Taiwan factory since he mentions Exquisite, which came out of the factory.

If anyone knows if this isn't the correct information, feel free to correct me :).
"I got my people, watching the corners, letting me know where the bitches are." - Zimos

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 06:30:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
That pretty much hits the nail on the head.  EPCC will work with more than one printer - basically, whoever can make the best cards at the right price point.  I'm assuming that this will be made with the Taiwan printer used for Exquisite, Legend, etc.

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 07:04:05 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yes, I'll be using the Exquisite printer, which is more used to doing the "high end" decks with all the fancy features.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 07:12:08 PM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
It looks awesome so far!

I can't wait for them to come out. It's also great to see you working on your own signature series!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular
I'm actually not a huge fan of the way EPCC decks handle. They're certainly not bad, but in general I think USPCC decks handle better (comparing custom USPCC decks to the Legends and Exquisites). Maybe I'm just more used to them, who knows. Either way I'm a huge fan of everything Encarded puts out so I can't wait for these.

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion, but the difference between the Global Titans and Exquisite (for me) is massive. I'm not a magician personally, just a collector - but the latter felt absolutely amazing and I can see why it's getting rave reviews.

Looking forward to this Paul.

I have to agree with you, Paul. As a cardist the Exquisites outshine the Global Titans by quite a bit, even the Legends doesn't feel as "right" as the Exquisites do IMO.
- Tom

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Yes, I'll be using the Exquisite printer, which is more used to doing the "high end" decks with all the fancy features.

Very Nice!

The way it sounded, EPCC was doing their own printing & manufacturing. So, EPCC is more of a middle man producer or gatekeeper to the Taiwanese printer?

« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 09:07:13 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Paul - I like what I've seen here!
Will be edging around to your site to get in the order book.
Cheers
Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 09:57:00 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Bill Kalush, from CARC, has made all the contacts, done all the research, conducted experiments and slogged through the leg work to find and collaborate with the printers overseas, and is the conduit through which folks like me can print. He set up EPCC to be the channel through which people outside of CARC projects can utilize the resources he's put together.

I had great conversations with him in Vegas last year, was really excited by what I saw and my project just happened to time out as the first external project to get into the pipeline. I'm sure you'll be seeing more in the future. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 10:23:36 PM »

Justin O.

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
  • Charm gets you quite far. Guile gets you the rest.
Bill Kalush, from CARC, has made all the contacts, done all the research, conducted experiments and slogged through the leg work to find and collaborate with the printers overseas, and is the conduit through which folks like me can print. He set up EPCC to be the channel through which people outside of CARC projects can utilize the resources he's put together.

If you work with Bill through EPCC do you have to sell through CARC?
Kickstarter completely revolutionized the way I waste money.

The people who handle playing cards are always in a world of delicate fingertip technology.

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 11:01:53 PM »

jmrock

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Imagine, a deck release that DOESN'T USE KICKSTARTER! The horror!  The insanity!  :P

The horror for me is not that you're moving forward without kickstarter… I actually rather like that… The horror for me is that you're moving forward without USPCC… I know that some designers and/or companies are using printers overseas and I fully understand that USPCC is not the only printer in the world… However, I do have such a strong attachment to USPCC and have sold off much of my collection that isn't printed with USPCC excluding companies which merged early on… i.e.; Russell Morgan, Consolidated, etc…  That being said, Paul, I've been a fan since day one and it's looking really nice, from what little I can see from the pics… I also like the ltd. print run… Given all the business you've done with USPCC, are they still not open to printing a smaller run, or is it they can no longer accomplish the things that you need done for this deck? I don't know, there seems to be a continuity for me when a designer uses the same printer and what can I say, I like that there is such a rich history involving the USPCC, given they originated in the United States, and that they started over a century ago quickly to become the greatest force in the world when it comes to quality and still today, they maintain their place as the leading playing card company in the world… There is something very moving about their heritage combined with a striking design that is a winning combination for me, unlike flipping over the box to read, "Made in China…"  I do however, wish you the best of luck in producing another great deck and if I am able to break from tradition, I am wondering how one could acquire the deck?  Did I miss this?  Let's see some more pics as well…

« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2014, 06:49:00 AM »

MagikFingerz

• Forum Regular

If you work with Bill through EPCC do you have to sell through CARC?

He said earlier in the thread that he will sell them through his own website.
- Tom

« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

The horror for me is not that you're moving forward without kickstarter… I actually rather like that… The horror for me is that you're moving forward without USPCC… I know that some designers and/or companies are using printers overseas and I fully understand that USPCC is not the only printer in the world… However, I do have such a strong attachment to USPCC and have sold off much of my collection that isn't printed with USPCC excluding companies which merged early on… i.e.; Russell Morgan, Consolidated, etc…  That being said, Paul, I've been a fan since day one and it's looking really nice, from what little I can see from the pics… I also like the ltd. print run… Given all the business you've done with USPCC, are they still not open to printing a smaller run, or is it they can no longer accomplish the things that you need done for this deck? I don't know, there seems to be a continuity for me when a designer uses the same printer and what can I say, I like that there is such a rich history involving the USPCC, given they originated in the United States, and that they started over a century ago quickly to become the greatest force in the world when it comes to quality and still today, they maintain their place as the leading playing card company in the world… There is something very moving about their heritage combined with a striking design that is a winning combination for me, unlike flipping over the box to read, "Made in China…"  I do however, wish you the best of luck in producing another great deck and if I am able to break from tradition, I am wondering how one could acquire the deck?  Did I miss this?  Let's see some more pics as well…

Everyone has an attachment to USPCC. They produce very good cards, been around forever, everyone knows them. Their history is undeniable. They have done great work for me, and will continue to do so, no doubt. The cards they have printed for me are excellent.

However, I don't think there is anything wrong with some competition. When you bring things to USPCC, you generally are told what reality is, as opposed to discussing it. It's not really negotiating, or working together, more of a, "You want that? Fine, you will pay what we say." and you don't have much information or input on why things are the way they are. Being the only game in town does have byproducts, some of which aren't always desirable. That model continues to work because so many people are new and simply want the cards made by them, regardless of whether it makes sense for their particular needs.

I'm sure they could print just 1,000 decks for me. However, it would cost considerably more. I might have to pay for a full run of 2,500 decks anyways. If I wanted Bee Casino, I might have to print 5,000 just to get the 1,000 I want to sell. Consider that even Jackson, who printed like 22,000 decks in one run had to beg and plead to get his black deck done, and boy did he pay for it.

Zenith will not be a $5 cheap deck, because it's full featured and a very small run, but with EPCC, I can bring a top-notch deck to market for a reasonable price that collectors won't feel is from crazytown, even though only 1,000 exist. They will handle great, look great, have everything people expect and be done at a cost that makes projects like this easily doable. No need to sweat and try to raise funds on Kickstarter and hope and pray it all works out. I can design something that excites me, pay for it and sell it as I please. I like that aspect a lot, since it feels like actual grown up business. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 11:28:48 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I agree that USPCC needs a big competitor. I just wish there was a US printer that could do it. Paul good luck with your project. I'm in for a few.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2014, 02:56:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I have to agree with you, Paul. As a cardist the Exquisites outshine the Global Titans by quite a bit, even the Legends doesn't feel as "right" as the Exquisites do IMO.

Bill Kalush personally had the process of making the Exquisites at the Taiwan plant altered, while Lawrence Sullivan went with the plant's standard print methods.  Bill himself has been commenting on how his Exquisites are just a little better than the Legends, and that's why.

He used to do this with USPC - while trying to perfect the process of making a pack of cards with the best performance, he would specify certain changes to the print process and place an order for himself, usually a stock deck like Bicycle or Bee but with his custom methods applied.  As he got the cards back, he saw what performance differences the changes made and did the same process all over again, refining and improving the process.  This takes a LOT of resources to accomplish, more than most designers would ever have access to without a wealthy relative passing away and leaving him or her the estate.

Remember his Bee Erdnase 216s?  Some didn't like the design of the back, but none who've tried them can deny the quality of the cards and how well they handled - some such as myself stated that it was unlike anything I've ever seen come out of USPC in my card-playing lifetime.  That deck's quality was about 85% as good as the Exquisites - he used the knowledge accumulated from all those test runs to make the card-making process as close to perfect as he could.

Paul: excellent points about why to not always use USPC.  Many designers have felt frustrated with USPC's custom deck process and wanted something less restrictive and more controllable.  The plants that Bill use are indeed capable of quality output in shorter-than-USPC-minimum runs - in some cases, of a quality that exceeds most USPC-made decks - with at least some savings over what USPC charges.

I agree that USPCC needs a big competitor. I just wish there was a US printer that could do it. Paul good luck with your project. I'm in for a few.

While computers and design software have made the design process much more democratic in that nearly anyone can afford a computer and a design program, this is not the case for the processes required to make that design into an actual deck of cards.  There have been many improvements, to be sure, but the basic process itself of creating the pasteboard (or purchasing it from someone else who made it) and getting the ink on the paper with printing plates is still very much the same as it's been for well over a century.  It's not the kind of hardware that most people can afford and it's way too large to use it in all but the largest of home shops/work areas.

Even if you could afford the hardware, you then need to provide the raw goods (paper, ink, tools and supplies for maintenance) and the talent to keep that press operating and to somehow eke a profit out of it.  USPC has the major advantage of having a handful of common brands that people buy all over the country and in many parts of the rest of the world combined with close to 130 years of experience making playing cards, providing them a steady source of income - Joe Sixpack doesn't have that at all, and has to start literally from scratch, with no income from volume work like the Bicycle Rider Back or the Bee Diamond Back to help sustain operations while you tackle boutique print jobs for clients wanting short print runs.

It's like you're always just a few slow days away from running out of cash and folding.  The Internet helps in that you can attract clients and work from practically anywhere in the world, but you're still shouting to be heard over the voice of the 800-pound gorilla in the room that is USPC.

Given enough time, however, we could reach a point where, just like computers, the hardware will shrink in size from something that could fill a warehouse to small enough to fit in a single room with space to spare - though it will never, at least in my lifetime, go portable and pocket-sized, due to the nature of what you're trying to make.

Plants overseas have a better shot at being able to do what I described above because they have one thing that USPC doesn't - labor laws that favor the manufacturer and result in a greatly-reduced cost of labor.  If you compared apples to apples, making an Asian factory outside of Japan or South Korea that's identically equipped to what USPC has in Erlanger, their lower labor costs will always give them the edge.

You might have been able to argue at one time in history (and not all that long ago) that USPC's quality made them stand out above the others, but that's no longer the case, due to a) the foreign printers getting better at what they do and b) USPC being a bit less attentive to the work they're doing, resulting in needless, costly mistakes.  If you run a deck design company and have made three or more decks with USPC, odds are strongly in favor of you having a horror story about something going wrong with USPC on at least one of your print jobs.

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2014, 08:52:09 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
For me, if I ever can get my deck designed. I will use USPC for the first one. The company may be foreign owned, and may be using non-domestic materials. But it is American workers, truckers, etc.

Having said that. I have no problem with Paul, and other designers doing this. Hopefully it will wake up the 800 pound gorilla. Before reading this thread, I didn't know that EPCC was offering this type of service. It could be great for a lot of designers. I'm positive it won't be an issue, but I hope Bill is very selective of what passes through his company. Unlike USPC that will alow people to put Bicycle on a turd and call them playing cards.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
USPC is owned by Jarden Corp. which is headquartered in Rye, NY and listed on the New York Stock Exchange. Jarden has 30-40 brands, many of which are quite American - e.g. Sunbeam, Coleman, etc.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2014, 01:34:42 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Yeah, Rob - USPC/Jarden are about as American as a company gets, aside from having a few overseas holdings.  For example, USPC holds Heraclio Fournier in Spain, and I'd be shocked if the parent company, Jarden, didn't have other overseas holdings.  But boil it down to brass tacks and they're an American company.

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
This is brilliant!

In simple terms, my two favourites are coming together -- favourite designer (Encarded), and favourite for card quality (CARC/EPCC)!

The output from the Taiwan factor y has really impressed me... and the feel of the Exquisite cards have been the best of the lot! Combine the second-to-none feel of the Exquisites with a BORDERLESS design with a luxury look, and a low print run... man, this one is going to be a winner for both collectors and card users!

Paul, I have a question for you brother... you've hinted that the cards will have the same stock and finish as the Exquisite cards, but will they also be cut exactly the same way??

The reason I ask is because until now, all of your decks which were printed at the USPCC were cut in the standard way, whereby the blade enters the sheet through the face (rather than having what Richard Turner coined a 'traditional cut').

Although Bill Kalush has said that the cards at the Taiwan factory have a cut which negates the need to even consider traditional or non-traditional, I actually find that they handle the way to be traditionally cut decks do -- they table faro (with a bottom-up weave) much better when the cards are face down.

When I first asked Lawrance about how the Legends were cut, he said that they are traditionally cut, but using a different cutting method. That sounds right to be.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this one -- a borderless deck from the Taiwan factory was pretty much at the top of my wants list for 2014!

Nothing at all against the USPCC... but their magic finish is really not my cup of tea, and their off-centre cutting is disappointing. Well done Paul, for taking the Zennith deck over to the Taiwan printers... because your high quality designs deserve to be printed with only the highest quality card stock and coating :D
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2014, 05:45:20 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
HolyJJ, thanks for the kind words. :)

I have talked with Bill Kalush and basically instructed him that I want Zenith exactly the same as the Exquisites. I've been very happy with their long term handling and I want my deck the same.  So if you like the Exquisite, you should be pleased.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2014, 12:46:02 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Yeah, Rob - USPC/Jarden are about as American as a company gets, aside from having a few overseas holdings.  For example, USPC holds Heraclio Fournier in Spain, and I'd be shocked if the parent company, Jarden, didn't have other overseas holdings.  But boil it down to brass tacks and they're an American company.

Sorry to sound like a dummy. I should have worded what I said differently-" don't know if USPC is a US company or not, but they are putting Americans to work." 

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2014, 02:08:23 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Sorry to sound like a dummy. I should have worded what I said differently-" don't know if USPC is a US company or not, but they are putting Americans to work."

Hey, don't sweat it.  It's cool, and now you learned something you didn't know before.

The reason I ask is because until now, all of your decks which were printed at the USPCC were cut in the standard way, whereby the blade enters the sheet through the face (rather than having what Richard Turner coined a 'traditional cut').

Actually, the "face down" cut is the traditional cut, while the "face up" cut is the modern cut.  Here's an excerpt from the Penguin Magic page selling Richard Turner's Gold Seal Bicycles:

Unlike most of the cards manufactured today, the cutting blade used in traditionally cut cards starts at the face of each card and punches through to its back. As a result, a sharp edge is created on the backside of each card and a rounded edge, which facilitates a flawless weave during each shuffle, is formed on the card's face.

Traditionally cut cards ensure that card men and magicians can easily interlace the cards to produce crisp, clean shuffles, especially with some of the more intricate shuffling techniques like the one-handed shuffle, and the faro shuffle, both in-hand, and on the table.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S11123

The difference in the cut is that it creates a beveled edge favoring a face-down faro shuffling right out of the box, whereas modern cut requires you have the cards face up when table faro shuffling.  Some even say that the bevel of the face-down cut gives better control when performing the more basic riffle shuffle as well.

Bill Kalush mentioned when I saw him last that his decks from the "Exquisite" factory are cut in a way that is neither traditional or modern - the bevel's edge is more centered, allowing for easy table faro shuffles either face up or face down when fresh out of the box.  I've read online somewhere that Fournier 605s are cut in the same way.

« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2014, 03:15:24 AM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Paul, thanks for answering my question -- man, I'm DELIGHTED to hear that the Zenith cards will handle exactly the same way as the Exquisites! That's music to my ears! I'll be hoping to buy 3 bricks on the day they release :D

Don, in my post I was trying to say that Paul's cards till now have NOT had a traditional cut (hence the words "rather than")... and so we're basically saying the same thing brother (I didn't mention anything about the sheet being face up or face down). I'm also aware of the misconception that quite a lot of people have whereby they think that the blade comes down from above and guillotines the sheet!

I did read on the sales page for the Exquisites that they are cut neither traditionally, or are they cut the modern way... however, I've probably done about 500 hundred tabled faros with each Exquisite deck that I have, and I've only been able do them when the cards are face down. Either I've received decks which weren't cut right, or they really do perform better face down.

I recommend putting them to the test.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 03:19:34 AM by HolyJJ »
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2014, 05:06:58 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Paul, thanks for answering my question -- man, I'm DELIGHTED to hear that the Zenith cards will handle exactly the same way as the Exquisites! That's music to my ears! I'll be hoping to buy 3 bricks on the day they release :D

Don, in my post I was trying to say that Paul's cards till now have NOT had a traditional cut (hence the words "rather than")... and so we're basically saying the same thing brother (I didn't mention anything about the sheet being face up or face down). I'm also aware of the misconception that quite a lot of people have whereby they think that the blade comes down from above and guillotines the sheet!

I did read on the sales page for the Exquisites that they are cut neither traditionally, or are they cut the modern way... however, I've probably done about 500 hundred tabled faros with each Exquisite deck that I have, and I've only been able do them when the cards are face down. Either I've received decks which weren't cut right, or they really do perform better face down.

I recommend putting them to the test.

Believe me, I have been!  It's a great deck.  He gave me a few last time I visited his office, a few days before the release.

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2014, 10:18:14 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Soon. And yes, they are even better than the Exquisites...
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 10:57:22 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Very nice..........the Tuck looks very interesting  ;)

Can't wait for more!

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • You only go around once - spin hard as you can!

From what I understand EPCC finds companies from around the world to print high quality cards. So they use different factories for different wants/needs. I don't think EPCC "stopped" using the Shanghai printer, just hasn't used them since Global Titan. In Paul's case I would like to think he is using the Taiwan factory since he mentions Exquisite, which came out of the factory.

If anyone knows if this isn't the correct information, feel free to correct me :).
EPCC uses a Taiwanese factory and not one in Shanghai.  I just got a quote from him myself in the past few days and I'll have to say that the pricing is extraordinary.  They will be used in a future project that I'm working on now, and as Paul has noted - it's realistic to do a 1000 deck run without going to deep and anything over 2500 is looking like a price of 55-60% of what you would be paying for the same thing from USPCC with embossed & foiled tucks, metallic inks and custom seals coming in at a price that makes most people that have gotten quotes recently from USPCC using the "tuck case provider" cry.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:01:53 PM by Ratledge »
> Mike <

Opinions are my own, your mileage WILL vary...

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2014, 01:24:46 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
So far, this looks VERY cool!

I can't wait for the release!
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2014, 03:02:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

EPCC uses a Taiwanese factory and not one in Shanghai.  I just got a quote from him myself in the past few days and I'll have to say that the pricing is extraordinary.  They will be used in a future project that I'm working on now, and as Paul has noted - it's realistic to do a 1000 deck run without going to deep and anything over 2500 is looking like a price of 55-60% of what you would be paying for the same thing from USPCC with embossed & foiled tucks, metallic inks and custom seals coming in at a price that makes most people that have gotten quotes recently from USPCC using the "tuck case provider" cry.

It is true they used a Shanghai printer in the past.  It's uncertain to me whether Bill Kalush will continue to use that printer going forward - he was personally pleased with the outcome of the Global Titans from the Shanghai plant and mentioned to me once that a few prominent card men agreed with him.  At the very least, the demand is significantly greater from designers wishing to have their work done at the Taiwan factory; there's no denying the Taiwanese plant puts out some of the best decks available today at a very competitive price when compared to USPC and with a lot fewer hoops to jump through.

Simply put, that Taiwan printer is lightning in a bottle for him and Expert PCC.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:02:59 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Very Nice Paul! I'm looking forward to this.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 09:58:24 AM by !An0nym0u5 »

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I'm so curious about this.
Exquisite decks handle very, very well. But in matter of design they're not very special.
But knowing your previous work, wich is amazing, I'm looking forward to see this deck.
An Encarded deck wich has an even better feel than the Exquisite? A must have, even before knowing the final work.
Continue your work as fast as you can and don't forget to notify your previous costumers.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:01:55 PM by ruicorreia »
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 03:03:11 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Don't worry, I will be sure to make it clear via all the social media and the mailing list when things will be available. They are on their way...

I've been playing with my sample and I think they came out really well. Quite different from all my other projects, as you would probably expect. Doing only 1,000 was a somewhat difficult choice, but as a first EPCC experiment, and one that I'm not looking for outside funding for, I wanted to make sure it was all doable. Fancy features, custom seals, numbering, etc still adds up. :)

I think folks will like the end result.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:23 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Don't worry, I will be sure to make it clear via all the social media and the mailing list when things will be available. They are on their way...

I think folks will like the end result.
Paul are we talking "on the way ocean freight" I assume?  Darn these are going to be a game-changer, IMHO!
> Mike <

Announcing a new age of cooperation: PCF & UnitedCardists.com are now both owned by 52+Joker members!

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2014, 10:11:38 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Via Facebook:

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2014, 10:20:19 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Wow! Very unique! Yet another must-have deck!

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2014, 10:24:32 AM »

tyl3r

Ooooh, fancy! Digging the tuckbox for sure! Looking forward to seeing more and a release!

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2014, 10:50:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Ooooooh...shiny...

Looks pretty good so far - now, about the contents....  :))

« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2014, 10:52:54 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Ooooooh...shiny...

Looks pretty good so far - now, about the contents....  :))

Via Encarded's Facebook/Instagram:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:53:25 AM by Sher143 »

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2014, 11:36:38 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Per Facebook: Coming in April. Only 1000.

These look fantastic, Paul.  Can't wait.

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2014, 12:01:00 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Via Facebook:

Is that a side opening tuck?

Another great simple complex design by Paul Carpenter

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2014, 12:26:00 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'll be sharing more as we get to the release. After all, I have to stretch it out for the boat voyage from the other side of the world. :)

But, yes it is a side opening tuck. It is printed by EPCC. There will be 1,000 decks, each with a numbered seal and cello. Realistically I will have to keep some, so less than 1,000 will be available. Zenith will only be available in my store.

I've had a sample for a week or so now and they came out very nicely. The design, as I tend to do, mixes a number of familiar things in quite a different way. The printing is perfect, smooth edges on the deck, the box has really thick black paper, and the foil is just super, being simultaneously plain silver and a riotous rainbow depending how you hold it. I printed a very small number as my first experiment with EPCC but they did an amazing job.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Simply amazing, Paul!  I'll just say that it's a perfect example of how @ExpertPCC is going to be a game-changer.  My first take is that it's just a fabulous design, even if it were traditional and not side-opening tuck, but that goes without saying for anything you've ever done.  Here's to the first real test of how they are received by the true Bike fanatics.  I don't see how anyone can say anything but "wow!"...
> Mike <

« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2014, 02:32:05 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Yep, it's a keeper Paul!

Beautiful work as usual, can't wait...............have you notified your service provider of the date and time so they can beef up the server capabilities for this?  ;)

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2014, 03:01:17 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Yep, it's a keeper Paul!

Beautiful work as usual, can't wait...............have you notified your service provider of the date and time so they can beef up the server capabilities for this?  ;)

Haha. I doubt this can take down Shopify but you never know.  I'll do some research on how many concurrent transaction a store can maintain.  ;)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2014, 03:16:04 PM »

Jamm Pakd Cards

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Via Facebook:

Is that a side opening tuck?

Another great simple complex design by Paul Carpenter
Man, that tuck box is amazing!
I know you said you are going to post the release date on all forms of social media and the forum.  Does that also mean you are going to send emails to your previous kickstarter backers because I know these are going to go like hot cakes and I defiantly want to get me a few!
Justin
Jamm Pakd Cards
Wild West Decks - Coming Soon to Kickstarter
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JammPakdCards?ref=hl
Kickstarter: Wild West Coming Soon 2016

« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Man, that tuck box is amazing!
I know you said you are going to post the release date on all forms of social media and the forum.  Does that also mean you are going to send emails to your previous kickstarter backers because I know these are going to go like hot cakes and I defiantly want to get me a few!

Yes, an email will go out to my complete list, which includes all my kickstarter backers (unless you specifically removed yourself from the mailing list, but that would be silly, right?)  :P
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2014, 07:18:58 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So I get a personal e-mail 10 mins early for sending good chi your way right? :) I always love your work, you my current favorite designer. I feel I have to get one of these.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2014, 11:32:29 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Paul, can you release this at 12:01edt(did I get that right Don?  :) ).  That way I can guarantee to be online, or can you go ahead and take my credit card info down, and put me down for 2.  :D

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2014, 03:23:53 AM »

PurpleIce

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Holy cow...please release it after 5th April and before 12th, because that's the only time i can be guaranteed internet access wherever i go. (Overseas on the rest of the month)

Paul, can you release this at 12:01edt(did I get that right Don?  :) ).  That way I can guarantee to be online, or can you go ahead and take my credit card info down, and put me down for 2.  :D

If not, i could also give you my card details for 2 decks as well.  :P Pretty soon, Paul might have a whole list of cards he can choose from.

« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2014, 10:59:39 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I obviously have very few, in a relative sense, to sell this time around. Historically my projects have gone through 1,000 decks quite rapidly so I do understand it will probably be a little harder to get one of these.

To make that easier for more people, I was going to do the release in a few batches. Perhaps 500 at the start, and when those sell, open another batch at another time so that people in other timezones don't have to be up at 3am.

I actually do want feedback on one thing I was considering. Do you think that with a limited release like this, any single order should be limited to purchasing a certain (small) number? Limit it to 6? Zenith isn't a $5 deck so I don't expect everyone to want a brick, but I do want to give as many people as possible the chance to get some. I don't want someone with big pockets to come in, buy 72 and then sell them all on ebay. Thoughts?

Paul Carpenter

« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2014, 11:03:28 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Putting a limit on single purchases sounds great if you want to give everyone a chance. You are right also that it will be pricey and most people might just buy 2 or 3 at most.  Putting a limit at 4 decks per person sounds more than reasonable to me. What do other folks think?

« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2014, 11:09:44 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Putting a limit does sound great. Anything between 3-6 decks. But how will u limit to? Would it be per order? per household? Per email address? Per credit/debit card?
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I would say limit it to 3, and do it per ip adress. I say 3 because it allows them to get one for the collection, one to trade, one to open up and play with. I personally just need one.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2014, 12:04:06 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Maybe release with a max of six on the first couple rounds, and then open it up for quantity 1-2 bricks if it doesn't blow out at first. People will by bricks even at $120 or more. They will be able to resell 2-3 times as much.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2014, 12:06:20 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
I have a feeling this will be a pricey deck and bricks will go well over $200 if not $300

« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2014, 12:13:09 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
I also think you could limit the number of decks.
I don't really know how many decks, because we don't know their price. This will be determinant.
In my case, even if I want to buy a few, I have to remember that I shouldn't pass a determined value, in order to avoid paying taxes in custom services.

But, independently of the price, a limited edition of 1000 decks should have limits. Absolutely.

Enthusiast collector

« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I actually do want feedback on one thing I was considering. Do you think that with a limited release like this, any single order should be limited to purchasing a certain (small) number? Limit it to 6? Zenith isn't a $5 deck so I don't expect everyone to want a brick, but I do want to give as many people as possible the chance to get some. I don't want someone with big pockets to come in, buy 72 and then sell them all on ebay. Thoughts?

I'm not sure what that magic number should be Paul, but since your releasing such a small run overall, I would think there should be some limit to decks purchased. I kind feel, as many, the 3-6 deck range would be fair. In the end you know there are going to be those who complain regardless. I personlly appreicate the fact your at least taking all this into consideration  ;)

« Reply #80 on: March 20, 2014, 02:22:52 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
I think half a brick makes sense, that way it can offer a small price break at 6 decks and it won't allow for people to purchase unfair quantities.
Starting to get better...have to stay dedicated...can't lose any more cards in the middle of a trick.  Literally, completely lost a card.

« Reply #81 on: March 20, 2014, 06:43:12 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I obviously have very few, in a relative sense, to sell this time around. Historically my projects have gone through 1,000 decks quite rapidly so I do understand it will probably be a little harder to get one of these.

To make that easier for more people, I was going to do the release in a few batches. Perhaps 500 at the start, and when those sell, open another batch at another time so that people in other timezones don't have to be up at 3am.

At a limit of 3-per-buyer, you'll have a minimum of 333 buyers.  This assumes that you release all but one deck (UNLIKELY!).  If the limit is raised to 6-per-buyer, this drops to 166 with four left over.  Assuming people max out their purchasing power on a deck this scarce (and most if not all will), that's a super-tiny number of people getting access to these.

I'd love to have three, but put your buyers first.  A limit of even two in a case this rare would be feasible, as it would allow for the balance between healthy number of happy customers and customers getting at least an acceptable amount of decks.

I predict these decks are going to explode in the aftermarket, leaving a smoldering wreck of all other decks in the vicinity...

« Reply #82 on: March 20, 2014, 07:23:20 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Realistically I will have to set aside about 50 for my private collection, damage replacements and to give to a few friends. As you said, at 6 per person that would make for a very small number of people. Good food for thought Don!
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #83 on: March 20, 2014, 10:32:05 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
at 6 per person that would make for a very small number of people.

Assuming everyone would buy the max, which I don't think everyone would at a max of 6.  At a max of 3, probably the majority would.

« Reply #84 on: March 20, 2014, 10:46:15 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
I try to buy 2 decks usually. Would be really cool to get one hand signed  ;)

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2014, 12:34:47 AM »

Yin

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Hi, I agree with Don about the limit number of decks per buyer. 2 decks would be more feasible as it allows for more buyers.

« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

I think with it being such a small supply the should all be hand numbered and signed.

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2014, 08:57:19 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

I think with it being such a small supply the should all be hand numbered and signed.

Heh, that's easy to say when it's not you signing your name 1000 times on slippery cellophane.  ;D

Each deck will be numbered on its seal with a unique number, so that part it taken care of. My signature is on the spine, in foil, and only signature series decks will feature that little design touch. So the signing is built in! I'm so clever.  :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2014, 09:57:18 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
Please do release the deck in batches for different time zones. I'm in Australia and wanted to get ahold of a signed clipped wing deck and at 7:00 when I woke up and got ordering there was only 40 left.

« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
can we request a certain number? I mean personally I have my favorite number and would love the one number it.

« Reply #90 on: March 22, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I'm hopeful you do release the number of decks per person. Although 3 per person seems reasonable, it certainly does limit how many people will get a hold of this deck. I'm also hopeful I can pick some of these up when they release.

The few glimpses I've seen look very nice. I really like the side opening tuck.
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

http://www.phillycardco.com

« Reply #91 on: March 22, 2014, 11:15:10 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So is only the seal numbered? If I open mine I will have to be careful with the seal then. :(

« Reply #92 on: March 22, 2014, 01:11:10 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
3 does SOUND reasonable, especially when you keep in mind that Encarded does have a pretty solid fan base... but still, the selfish collector in me hopes that the limit will be 6.

« Reply #93 on: March 22, 2014, 02:46:30 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
One nice thing about the sideways tuck is that the seal lays flat across the edge and one straight cut lets you open the deck and then have it look almost perfect when you close it back up. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #94 on: March 22, 2014, 04:56:17 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
One nice thing about the sideways tuck is that the seal lays flat across the edge and one straight cut lets you open the deck and then have it look almost perfect when you close it back up. :)

sounds awesome. I get to keep the number showing and still have them open . :)

Do you have an idea on pricing for this deck yet?

« Reply #95 on: March 22, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

John,
That's like asking a woman how much she weighs or how old.  ;)

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #96 on: March 22, 2014, 07:48:32 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

John,
That's like asking a woman how much she weighs or how old.  ;)

Hey I do that all the time and live to tell the tale.

« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2014, 07:52:24 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

Paul said it would be more than a plain Aurum deck but less than an Aurum White Gold deck:

I'm  honestly still working that out. Somewhat depends on final freight shipping costs from New York. I'm still going back and forth trying to find that balance, but I can say it will be more than a plain Aurum deck and less than a White Gold deck.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 12:25:53 AM by Sher143 »

« Reply #98 on: April 01, 2014, 09:52:31 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
If you haven't taken a gander at http://encarded.com recently you may want to drop by and read some background and details about Zenith. Just click the banner on the homepage. Cheers. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #99 on: April 04, 2014, 02:25:29 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Zenith fanning, should you be curious. :)

http://instagram.com/p/mX6fSsFL8V/
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #100 on: April 04, 2014, 02:30:09 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
Would of been much cooler with a slide whistle sound effect.

also when are they going up for sale? Deets man!! Give me some Deets!!
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #101 on: April 04, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Zenith fanning, should you be curious. :)

http://instagram.com/p/mX6fSsFL8V/

Your killing me Paul  :-[

....I'm sitting on my spending budget waiting for Zenith, lol

PS. That Fan is pretty bad ass  8)

« Reply #102 on: April 04, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Would of been much cooler with a slide whistle sound effect.

also when are they going up for sale? Deets man!! Give me some Deets!!

I'll give plenty of advance warning. Realistically it will probably be a few weeks. They have to arrive in the US first, and then get to me across the country so I want to make sure I know exactly when they will arrive before I launch the pre-order, as I don't want people to have to wait too long before I can ship them out.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2014, 01:14:39 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Any word on quantity limits per person?

« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2014, 10:34:19 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Any updates?  Refreshing often!!

« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2014, 11:57:21 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Zenith arrived in the US a few days ago and should be on the way to Encarded HQ shortly. The pre-order will begin soon, I just want to make sure there is not much of a delay between people placing their orders and shipments going out! Watch the email list and social stuff for the details.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:14 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
It is indeed a good friday!

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2014, 12:31:35 PM »

vmagic

Zenith arrived in the US a few days ago and should be on the way to Encarded HQ shortly. The pre-order will begin soon, I just want to make sure there is not much of a delay between people placing their orders and shipments going out! Watch the email list and social stuff for the details.

Just take my preorder right now, I don't mind a slight delay  ;) :D

« Reply #108 on: April 21, 2014, 10:20:29 AM »

ivan

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Can't wait to get my hands on them!  :-[

http://www.kardify.com/2014/04/revealed-zenith-encarded-signature.html

Another masterpiece from Paul!

Recent Post:
+ Designers: Realising the Vision with Lotrek of Venexiana Playing Cards fb.me/6AdE6sqej
+ Analytics: Project by Numbers- Federal 52 Pt II http://fb.me/2OyvCJgXU
+ Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Lorenzo Gaggiotti of Requiem Playing Cards http://fb.me/WKgT2S0e

« Reply #109 on: April 21, 2014, 11:50:58 AM »

ozfan30

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Definitely in for 3 of them.

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey everyone, subscribe to this thread and watch your notifications. I'm setting aside a small number of Zenith for forum members only. You will need to act fast and be ready with your PayPal. If you want a chance to avoid the crowds at the encarded store, watch for the details on how to get a spot for an advance order.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #111 on: April 22, 2014, 07:04:34 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Pins. Needles.

« Reply #112 on: April 22, 2014, 08:35:32 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Can't wait!!!! I saw the "sold out" thing and my heart skipped a beat until I saw they're available on the 24th.  Paul, you are awesome, thanks so much for offering a supply to forum members.

If you're offering some on the forum, should we not also buy on the site?  I only want to max four, just making sure I don't double order.

Thanks!

« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
   First of all Paul, thank you for your iniciative of giving forum members the oportunity to buy first. That's really nice of you.
   Second, I'm really mad now... how the hell will I sleep today?
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2014, 09:13:44 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
As you know, there are very few Zenith to go around. I am setting aside 100 for you guys to grab first.  Here is what you have to do:

Visit http://encarded.com, click the "All" navigation link at the top of the site. Find the oddball "Forum Access" product with no picture, and do your thing! There is a limit of 4 per person, just as with the public release. I'll be fulfilling these orders first, so you will be the first to get Zenith!

Thanks again to all of you for the support, it is always a pleasure bringing new ideas to you folks.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2014, 09:17:36 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Thanks Paul  picked up a couple

« Reply #116 on: April 22, 2014, 09:18:51 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
4rdered :D Thanks Paul!!!  What numbers are this lot?

« Reply #117 on: April 22, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Thanks Paul  picked up a couple
For once, I beat you, Pierre!  Dang - good timing...
> Mike <

« Reply #118 on: April 22, 2014, 09:25:28 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Mike my order was 1060   I think you have it wrong..  I just took my time posting

EDIT  nah just kidding Mike.  Was on a call with work so you were ahead hehehe
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:28:25 PM by badpete69 »

« Reply #119 on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:58 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Picked up 4. Again, thank you for this oportunity
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2014, 09:27:09 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

These early order will get lower numbers. I'll have to sort them all out but intend to fulfill them roughly in numerical order, with just a few special exceptions. So you all will definitely be on the super low end of the scale! A lot of you will be in the less than 100 bracket.  :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2014, 09:31:43 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
Thanks again to all of you for the support, it is always a pleasure bringing new ideas to you folks.

Thanks much for the early access - makes it that much more special!

« Reply #122 on: April 22, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
so awesome! picked up 4. hopefully i can somehow get #33.

« Reply #123 on: April 22, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Thanks a lot Paul. It was kind and generous of you to give the forum members a heads up on getting the deck. I was able to grab 2 for myself.

« Reply #124 on: April 22, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Mike my order was 1060   I think you have it wrong..  I just took my time posting

Dang, I thought it couldn't be true.  Mine was

You've just purchased this
No image found...
4x Forum Access - Zenith Signature Series

Your Order ID is: #1066

An email receipt containing information about your order will soon follow. Please keep it for your records.

Thank you for shopping at Encarded Custom Playing Cards
> Mike <

« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Thanks Paul!!!
Check out every Kickstarter Deck project - current & archived along with some great Deck designer/artist interviews:

« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2014, 09:53:55 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
got in- order # 1093, Thanks Paul for the advance ordering.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2014, 09:55:25 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

No image found...

An email receipt containing information about your order will soon follow. Please keep it for your records.

Actually Mike you were the 2nd person, someone else barely snuck ahead of you in line with order 1065.  ;D
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2014, 09:55:41 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover

These early order will get lower numbers. I'll have to sort them all out but intend to fulfill them roughly in numerical order, with just a few special exceptions. So you all will definitely be on the super low end of the scale! A lot of you will be in the less than 100 bracket.  :)

So sweet, what a unique opportunity afforded to the members of the forum. Membership has its privileges :)

« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2014, 09:57:18 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
#1073 here

« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:02 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover

No image found...

Actually Mike you were the 2nd person, someone else barely snuck ahead of you in line with order 1065.  ;D
I'll take it!  Working with this syrupy slow satellite link I probably go their first but it took a minute to check out...
> Mike <

« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:40 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
And that's it folks! Thanks very much to those of you that jumped quickly! Your decks will be the first ones out the door, with the nice low numbers.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2014, 09:59:45 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
hehehe Mike  you were the man this  time. I was 7th with 1071

« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2014, 10:02:03 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
hehehe Mike  you were the man this  time. I was 7th with 1071
Somebody got me, but I don't know who.  Maybe we'll find out later?  I'll take decks with numbers nice and low, I'm certain that Paul's going to reserve the first few for his archives - and who can blame him?
> Mike <

« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2014, 10:03:17 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Dagnabbit, I missed it. That's what I get for trying to move furniture and watch the web! That was one heck of a thing to do Paul, very cool on your part.

« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
45 minutes to sell out the secret access! Not Bad.  Congrats to everyone that got in.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:17 PM »

Afrank8

• True Member
I go to sleep for 6 hours and this is what I miss.  :-[

« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2014, 10:06:33 PM »

Mike Ratledge

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
Dagnabbit, I missed it. That's what I get for trying to move furniture and watch the web! That was one heck of a thing to do Paul, very cool on your part.
Yep, the 'window' shut about 9:55PM EDT.  They'll be available again at noon on Thursday.  Don't be late!
> Mike <

« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
I'm a sucker for low numbers. But it is amazing how much time moving into a new house consumes, computer time has been slashed, Then cut in half.

So anyone willing to trade one of their nice low numbers? Hm? Bueller?

« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2014, 11:48:43 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So I'm usually a night owl.......last night was THE worst night to actually relax and go to bed early  :-[

LOL, but that was a great offer Paul and Gratz to all of you who got 1st crack...........so we wait for Friday  ;)

« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2014, 11:57:30 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
...........so we wait for Friday  ;)

Thursday Sparkz!!

« Reply #141 on: April 23, 2014, 12:11:20 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
...........so we wait for Friday  ;)

Thursday Sparkz!!

Oh, that would have sucked  :(

Thanks Handskillz!

« Reply #142 on: April 23, 2014, 10:06:41 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Thanks to everyone that got decks last night! I did want to mention that if you were able to jump in on this special offer, please be cool to your fellow collectors and don't try to order more tomorrow. Let's give everyone a fair chance, right guys? If I do notice that you are trying to order more than 4 total, I'll be canceling the extras.

Also, if you are confused on the exact time of day: http://encarded.com/blogs/news/13860141-zenith-release-time
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #143 on: April 23, 2014, 10:30:29 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Also, if you are confused on the exact time of day: http://encarded.com/blogs/news/13860141-zenith-release-time

.......who could you possible be talking about?  ::)

« Reply #144 on: April 23, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:03:20 AM by Sher143 »

« Reply #145 on: April 23, 2014, 11:09:31 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Awesome, thanks for posting that!
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #146 on: April 23, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
So paul what the price on this deck? I want to know if I have enough for it so that I will try to get one of them. I missed the forum only ones though. Some things (like a first date) get in the way of my collection.

also not to get off topic, but I had my deco deck (blue) with me and she thought it was beautiful. So you have another fan of your artwork paul.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 04:17:41 PM by John B. »

« Reply #147 on: April 23, 2014, 05:07:36 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
So paul what the price on this deck? I want to know if I have enough for it so that I will try to get one of them. I missed the forum only ones though. Some things (like a first date) get in the way of my collection.

also not to get off topic, but I had my deco deck (blue) with me and she thought it was beautiful. So you have another fan of your artwork paul.

Glad your lady friend liked Deco, that's pretty high praise. Hanging with a nice girl is probably more important than getting a deck of cards.  :D   to answer your main question, Zenith will be $20.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #148 on: April 23, 2014, 05:31:25 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I recall the forum-only ones were $20 each.  I think these will be the same, right?

« Reply #149 on: April 23, 2014, 06:41:44 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I recall the forum-only ones were $20 each.  I think these will be the same, right?

Yep, Don, the forum-only was 20$ each as well and being lowered number, which can matter a lot to some. Mostly I'm glad of the chance to grab it last night as I know I'm working tomorrow at noon when it's released.

« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2014, 09:27:38 PM »

Daniel Wilson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
...I picked a horrible night to go to bed early.

And, of course, I'll be at work at noon tomorrow.... :(

« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2014, 11:14:48 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Glad your lady friend liked Deco, that's pretty high praise. Hanging with a nice girl is probably more important than getting a deck of cards.  :D   to answer your main question, Zenith will be $20.

Dang nab it, I will have to try to get this in the after market then.

« Reply #152 on: April 23, 2014, 11:53:22 PM »

troy

• True Member
As you know, there are very few Zenith to go around. I am setting aside 100 for you guys to grab first.  Here is what you have to do:

Visit http://encarded.com, click the "All" navigation link at the top of the site. Find the oddball "Forum Access" product with no picture, and do your thing! There is a limit of 4 per person, just as with the public release. I'll be fulfilling these orders first, so you will be the first to get Zenith!

I missed out! :) The thought was nice!

« Reply #153 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:31 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
Don't suppose there's any chance of calling dibs on particular numbers?

« Reply #154 on: April 24, 2014, 03:03:58 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran

Dang nab it, I will have to try to get this in the after market then.

I dunno... It might be significantly more expensive in the after market...

« Reply #155 on: April 24, 2014, 08:18:39 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I have less then that available to spend till my next check. So unless Paul take IOUs I wont be able to.

« Reply #156 on: April 24, 2014, 09:22:22 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Got my alarm set for noon!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »

ivan

• True Member

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Since pre-order will start realll soon!  Our chat with Paul on his design background, launching Zenith outside Kickstarter, the inspiration behind Zenith and EPCC.

http://www.kardify.com/2014/04/encarded-7-questions-with-paul.html

Recent Post:
+ Designers: Realising the Vision with Lotrek of Venexiana Playing Cards fb.me/6AdE6sqej
+ Analytics: Project by Numbers- Federal 52 Pt II http://fb.me/2OyvCJgXU
+ Kickstarter: 7 Questions with Lorenzo Gaggiotti of Requiem Playing Cards http://fb.me/WKgT2S0e

« Reply #158 on: April 24, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

That was a great joke!  Love it!

I have less then that available to spend till my next check. So unless Paul take IOUs I wont be able to.

Beg or borrow.  The aftermarket price will likely be multiples higher.  Either that, or live without - I hear rumor that it's possible...  :))

« Reply #159 on: April 24, 2014, 10:59:25 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The first batch of Zenith will be in the store in 1 hour, just to clarify if you are in another timezone. Thanks everyone! :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #160 on: April 24, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Good luck Paul..  Sold out by day's end?

« Reply #161 on: April 24, 2014, 11:09:50 AM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

That was a great joke!  Love it!

Beg or borrow.  The aftermarket price will likely be multiples higher.  Either that, or live without - I hear rumor that it's possible...  :))

For this deck I almost would but no quite that desperate for it. people would look at me different if I did that. :)

Though I am putting it out there if anyone here gets an extra one that they would be interested in trading please PM me. I have a few decks that I would be willing to trade for this deck.

« Reply #162 on: April 24, 2014, 11:13:56 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
I got the time conversion wrong?! OMG WHY?!?!?!  *CRIES* By the way, you did mention something about another batch for us Asians. Any rough idea when will that be?
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #163 on: April 24, 2014, 11:16:07 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Good luck Paul..  Sold out by day's end?

Who knows? It would seem that quite a few folks are interested, and I don't have many to sell, so I guess it's likely. That would be exciting, but it's always an unknown.

K, you still have 45 min, it's not ready yet...
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #164 on: April 24, 2014, 11:19:09 AM »

K

• Discourse Veteran
  • Card for me maybe?
Ah so I didn't get the time conversion wrong... judging from the previous comments I thought I'd missed it. ): Good luck to all!
Stalking the forums, I'm in that corner!

« Reply #165 on: April 24, 2014, 12:00:10 PM »

musical_racket

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Cards Cards and Cards!
I'm about to refresh in a moment. Remember everyone, if the site crashes over the demand, don't keep refreshing the page.
If you like playing cards.....Awesome!

« Reply #166 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:13 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
done and done

« Reply #167 on: April 24, 2014, 12:01:34 PM »

tyl3r

In for 2! Looking forward to receiving these :)

« Reply #168 on: April 24, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »

ozfan30

• 52 Plus Joker Member
Ordered my 3, can't wait to get them.

« Reply #169 on: April 24, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »

verloren

• Forum Regular
I was thinking three, then thought screw it and bought 4.

« Reply #170 on: April 24, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »

D. Dorn

• True Member
One, for me, as it's a little rich.  Still, I picked up an Aurum Sovereign and a Deco Silver, just to fill in some empty spots in my collection.

« Reply #171 on: April 24, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Hey Paul

Got a weird spam email that looked that it was from you. It was from encarded@gmail.com and it had your heading..  Has one of your email accounts been compromised?

« Reply #172 on: April 24, 2014, 12:22:23 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Hey Paul

Got a weird spam email that looked that it was from you. It was from encarded@gmail.com and it had your heading..  Has one of your email accounts been compromised?

Someone was spoofing my address, there's been no unauthorized access to my gmail. Annoying.  :-[
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #173 on: April 24, 2014, 12:24:30 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
You are so famous now  that you are being spoofed hehehehe

« Reply #174 on: April 24, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
In for 4! Very excited to see these!

I swear, if Paul, Randy, and Jackson don't start churning out a lot of crappy decks in a row, I will have to build a card storage warehouse in my backyard very soon! They are on a roll!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 12:55:04 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #175 on: April 24, 2014, 01:14:55 PM »

D. Dorn

• True Member
Gone...

Fast...

« Reply #176 on: April 24, 2014, 01:38:35 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The rest of the decks will be in the store in about 6.5 hours at 8pm Eastern. So if you missed the first flurry you'll have another chance tonight. I imagine that group will last a little longer than 68 minutes, but who knows. :) Thanks everyone!
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #177 on: April 24, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I tried being tricky and setting one in my cart, but it became unavailable and did not let me keep it in there.  :mindf-ck:

« Reply #178 on: April 24, 2014, 05:54:52 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I managed to get in an order for four.  No hassles.

« Reply #179 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:48 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
In case any one missed it, the remainder of Zenith will be in the store in about 20 min.

http://encarded.com/products/zenith-signature-series
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #180 on: April 24, 2014, 08:08:42 PM »

Daniel Wilson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
I didn't miss THIS window!  Order #1288!
(Unfortunately Boss Lady told me I could only get 2 instead of the full allotment of 4.)
Keep up the great work, Paul!

« Reply #181 on: April 24, 2014, 08:10:43 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
In case any one missed it, the remainder of Zenith will be in the store in about 20 min.

The remainder? As in what's left of the 1000 print run? Wow! Congrats again! These look great.

« Reply #182 on: April 24, 2014, 08:12:30 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
(Unfortunately Boss Lady told me I could only get 2 instead of the full allotment of 4.)

You should have bought 2 pair at $40 a pair.  ;)

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #183 on: April 24, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »

Daniel Wilson

• 52 Plus Joker Member

You should have bought 2 pair at $40 a pair.  ;)

....she was looking over my shoulder at the time.
Might have worked otherwise.    ^_^;

« Reply #184 on: April 24, 2014, 08:19:36 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:

The remainder? As in what's left of the 1000 print run? Wow! Congrats again! These look great.

Yes, about 200 remain right now, so we've gone through roughly 800 of the 1000 in less than 2 hours of sales. The second batch is going a little slower so there is definitely time to get some!
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #185 on: April 25, 2014, 09:30:26 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Final warning, less than 80 of the 1000 are available, so if you were asleep, working, or sitting on the fence you have a little time to get some. Unless you *really* like eBay...
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #186 on: April 25, 2014, 10:05:04 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Final warning, less than 80 of the 1000 are available, so if you were asleep, working, or sitting on the fence you have a little time to get some. Unless you *really* like eBay...
My alarm interrupted my tax preparation [we file April 30 in Canada] in time for me to get my order fulfilled. This is an exciting deck - even for a vintage collector!!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #187 on: April 25, 2014, 01:52:32 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
My alarm interrupted my tax preparation [we file April 30 in Canada] in time for me to get my order fulfilled. This is an exciting deck - even for a vintage collector!!

High praise indeed, thank you Tom!
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #188 on: April 25, 2014, 02:43:26 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I have been asked in various places about the 4-deck limit and most comments have been complimentary. Honestly I would have sold them much faster without the limit. I'd have to count exactly, but probably 35% of the orders were for the max, so if even a portion of those people would have bought 6 or 8 the deck probably wouldn't have lasted the first hour.

So from a business point of view, I guess that was pretty stupid, but from a collector point of view it seemed like the right thing to do. :)

As of this moment, there are just a few bricks left and if some hardcore collector fan here wanted a couple more to store away for a rainy day, I don't think the guy that runs the place would be all that upset. Just sayin...
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #189 on: April 25, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »

Emmanuel

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
I missed both launch times yesterday, so I'm very happy that I was still able to order them just now!

Zenith is remarkable, Paul  :D

« Reply #190 on: April 25, 2014, 07:39:06 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
If you still have them on the 2nd let me know and I will buy one.

« Reply #191 on: April 26, 2014, 01:53:28 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I have been asked in various places about the 4-deck limit and most comments have been complimentary. Honestly I would have sold them much faster without the limit. I'd have to count exactly, but probably 35% of the orders were for the max, so if even a portion of those people would have bought 6 or 8 the deck probably wouldn't have lasted the first hour.

So from a business point of view, I guess that was pretty stupid, but from a collector point of view it seemed like the right thing to do. :)

As of this moment, there are just a few bricks left and if some hardcore collector fan here wanted a couple more to store away for a rainy day, I don't think the guy that runs the place would be all that upset. Just sayin...

I wouldn't say it was a stupid thing to do, really.  Either way, the entire inventory would still have sold out.  But by doing it this way, you made a serious effort to make your customers happy, and that's never bad business.

While he was alive, my dad was an electrician.  He occasionally did work that ended up leaving him holding the short end of the stick financially - but he did it for good reason.  In most cases, those people he worked for eventually led him into getting access to more lucrative contracts, earning him more money in the long run.  It's all too frequently overlooked in business, but reputation matters.

« Reply #192 on: April 26, 2014, 12:49:55 PM »

ruicorreia

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

I don't think that was stupid.
   In my opinion that was not only a sign of respect to your clients but also a good marketing move (intended or not).
   First, as Don already pointed, the deck is sold out so there was nothing stupid about it.
   Second, the imposition of a limit in a 1000 deck run it's really an honest way to try to guarantee that everybody has a chance on the deck.
   Third, even with a limit, it's always possible to have multiple accounts.
   And fourth, I really think that the limit helped you to sell more decks to each person. As you pointed out, 35% purchased 4 decks. If you had no limit,some people could buy more, it's true. But, now I'm talking by my personal experience, if there was no limit, I would probably buy 3 decks because they were not cheap. Let's be honnest, 80 dollars by 4 decks was above my limit. But with the (deserved) expectations generated in collectors, the first impulse it's to buy the max. With no limit It wouldn't be a surprise if a great percentage would only buy 3 or 2 decks.

So, don't feel bad with the limit.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 12:50:53 PM by ruicorreia »
Enthusiast collector

« Reply #193 on: April 26, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Well, "stupid" was said in jest, but I am glad that my good intentions came through.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #194 on: April 26, 2014, 02:17:01 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
paul  you need to change your signature to reflect sold out by Zenith

« Reply #195 on: April 26, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
paul  you need to change your signature to reflect sold out by Zenith

thanks, forgot about that, it all went by so quickly :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #196 on: April 26, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »

BeDoubleYou

• True Member
Anybody willing to part with one of their decks for a fellow collector, private message me and we can hopefully arrange a price.

I've been in Naples, FL on vacation this past week and haven't had much internet access. Deck looks great, Paul. Sorry I missed out :(

« Reply #197 on: April 26, 2014, 04:17:27 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Anybody willing to part with one of their decks for a fellow collector, private message me and we can hopefully arrange a price.

I've been in Naples, FL on vacation this past week and haven't had much internet access. Deck looks great, Paul. Sorry I missed out :(

Ah, sorry you missed it. I think there will be a few folks that can part with one. If I had them in hand, you could have driven up the road to Sarasota and bought it in person. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #198 on: April 27, 2014, 11:48:51 AM »

HeartQ

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Congratulations Paul, I am delighted that you have limited this lovely deck to 1000 as I really believe that a known limited number makes it much more desirable to collectors.  Obviously you will continue to sell out your decks as fast as you can design them and I can't imagine anyone more deserving.

See you in Charleston...

Judy
Judy Dawson

« Reply #199 on: April 28, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Zenith is being sorted and arranged. Hope to start moving these out to folks real soon. They look quite lovely in large piles...
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #200 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:24 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Congratulations Paul, I am delighted that you have limited this lovely deck to 1000 as I really believe that a known limited number makes it much more desirable to collectors.  Obviously you will continue to sell out your decks as fast as you can design them and I can't imagine anyone more deserving.

See you in Charleston...

Judy

Aw Judy, you're making me blush.  ;D Thanks and I'm looking forward to Charleston! I better design some decks soon so that I have something to show off...
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #201 on: April 28, 2014, 11:09:30 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Zenith is being sorted and arranged. Hope to start moving these out to folks real soon. They look quite lovely in large piles...

I'll take the one on the left please!  :)

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #202 on: April 29, 2014, 09:24:11 AM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
My goodness those tucks...these cards...everything is breathtaking.  Here is the dilemma, I know the members of this board have differing opinions I would love to hear them.  I was fortunate enough to land 4 in the forum pre-order.  I want to reserve 1 for trade so maybe I can get a white whale crossed off my list somewhere down the road, I want to save one never to be opened as a star of my collection, likely the lowest numbered deck I receive.  So that leaves 2 decks...how does everyone feel about opening one. 

Usually it would be a no-brainer (at least for me), if you have an extra then play...but these seem special. What are your plans for your decks?

« Reply #203 on: April 29, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »

Afrank8

• True Member
I open all of mine cause I want to create a sort of uncut sheet of one card from 56 different decks but I know some people just keep them sealed for resale.

« Reply #204 on: April 29, 2014, 09:40:06 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
My goodness those tucks...these cards...everything is breathtaking.  Here is the dilemma, I know the members of this board have differing opinions I would love to hear them.  I was fortunate enough to land 4 in the forum pre-order.  I want to reserve 1 for trade so maybe I can get a white whale crossed off my list somewhere down the road, I want to save one never to be opened as a star of my collection, likely the lowest numbered deck I receive.  So that leaves 2 decks...how does everyone feel about opening one. 

Usually it would be a no-brainer (at least for me), if you have an extra then play...but these seem special. What are your plans for your decks?

I tend to open one of every deck I buy, even the rare ones, even the ones that I only have one of.  I'm the kind of person who wants to take pleasure from his cards not simply by looking at the box.  To me, that's like buying a rare masterpiece sculpture, getting it home and leaving it on display IN THE WOODEN CRATE it shipped in...  But that's how I deal...  :))

There's a rare few I haven't opened.  I tend not to open sealed vintage decks (which I only own a few of in the first place), and I haven't opened the light blue Maeda Tally Ho deck I got.  I'm pretty sure I've opened the rest.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:40:33 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #205 on: April 29, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Personally, I don't collect for the future, I collect to enjoy the artistry of the cards. I say open at least one, otherwise you miss out on the package as a whole. The only decks Ihaven't opened are a Jerry's Nugget and the extras I've been lucky enough to be given by friends.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #206 on: April 29, 2014, 11:38:39 AM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
I also almost always open one. With vintage/antique we usually find a way of extracting the deck for a look without any serious damage to the wrapper, box or seal. Like to see and feel - not just hoard.
Tom Dawson

« Reply #207 on: April 29, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »

tyl3r

So far I haven't really opened any of my decks but I want to, because I want to enjoy them and view the wonderful art on all of the cards. I know I will most likely never resell them, so I'm more of a collector I think.

Question though: When you guys open your decks, what are your techniques for how you break the seal? I want to open all of my decks, but want to be able to close them back up while looking almost perfect as well. Minus the cellophane of course, unless that is easy to open without any issues.

I open all of mine cause I want to create a sort of uncut sheet of one card from 56 different decks but I know some people just keep them sealed for resale.
Also, I am really digging this idea. I was thinking of doing something similar myself.

« Reply #208 on: April 29, 2014, 12:20:45 PM »

John B.

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I open everyone. I mean the tuck can look nice but there are 56 pieces of art in there I am not seeing. I keep them nice when I open them but I dont see a reason to keep them sealed other then re-sale.

« Reply #209 on: April 29, 2014, 04:01:26 PM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Question though: When you guys open your decks, what are your techniques for how you break the seal? I want to open all of my decks, but want to be able to close them back up while looking almost perfect as well. Minus the cellophane of course, unless that is easy to open without any issues.

I usually don't open decks,  but when I do,  if there is a seal,  I don't open it by tearing the seal in half.  Instead,  I try to peel off the part of the seal that is adhering to the tuck and then stick it on the flap.  Most of the time the seal is pretty easy to peel off,  but if necessary,  I use a sharp blade to separate it from the tuck.  You'd have to really be careful not to damage the tuck,  though. 

« Reply #210 on: April 29, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Often best way is to slit the bottom flap with an Exacto blade where it meets the side panel [depends on how the box is constructed]
Tom Dawson

« Reply #211 on: April 29, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

• The Expert Playing Card Company
Often best way is to slit the bottom flap with an Exacto blade where it meets the side panel [depends on how the box is constructed]

Here is a little secret applicable to the Zenith deck. If you remove the cello first, the bottom flap of the tuck is only inserted, not glued, so it could be carefully opened and then closed again. These Zenith cards are too good to be kept in the box.

« Reply #212 on: April 29, 2014, 05:41:21 PM »

CordedTires

• Forum Regular
I always open mine -  except for a few decks where I've ended up with more than one, or a color variant. Gosh darn it, I like to look at the cards and play with them.

With these I bought one (lucky enough to catch the first 100). Then I slept on it, happened to be nonlinear (Can you believe this autocorrect????) online when they were generally available, and bought another one.

So one will be opened, and one saved unopened for trade or sale.  Something new for me.

« Reply #213 on: April 30, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
As ExpertPCC said, one of the wonderful things about Zenith and its sideways tuck is that once you take the cello off, you just need to make one perfectly straight cut across the seal. The box will be able to be opened, and when you close the flap it will perfectly align with the other half of the seal and look almost untampered with. It's a small thing, but quite nice.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #214 on: April 30, 2014, 04:43:42 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
As ExpertPCC said, one of the wonderful things about Zenith and its sideways tuck is that once you take the cello off, you just need to make one perfectly straight cut across the seal. The box will be able to be opened, and when you close the flap it will perfectly align with the other half of the seal and look almost untampered with. It's a small thing, but quite nice.

Or you can do like most normal humans and just plain OPEN the blasted things and play with them!  :))

« Reply #215 on: April 30, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
exactly! cards are no good always sealed up, but if you can play with them and barely tell you even opened them, it's the best of everything!
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #216 on: April 30, 2014, 09:28:03 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Paul,

When are the Zenith decks shipping? I can't wait to see them!

Thanks,
James

« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2014, 09:12:11 AM »

Sher143

• Discourse Veteran
Paul,

When are the Zenith decks shipping? I can't wait to see them!

Thanks,
James

I just received a shipping confirmation!!! :D

« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2014, 09:39:20 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I'll be working on it for a few days more. I was trying to get out the forum special folks and some of my VIPs first, but am going as fast as I can! Also, all Zenith decks are going to ship in cardboard boxes (no bubble mailers) so unless the postal services run them over with a truck they will get to everyone in perfect condition.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2014, 10:07:24 AM »

tyl3r

Just got my shipping confirmation as well! Thanks Paul, look forward to receiving them soon!

« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »

Aptombstone

• True Member
Just got my cards and they look amazing!
Would take a pic but I don't have a don't have a great camera.

Problem is even though I usually open at least 1 of each deck I have, I don't have the heart to open these so I'm hoping someone else can tell me how they handle.

« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2014, 03:02:37 PM »

HandSkillz

• Discourse Lover
Low numbers indeed, wow Paul.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 03:03:04 PM by HandSkillz »

« Reply #222 on: May 05, 2014, 03:21:44 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
 :D

Glad you like 'em. You must have been one of the really early ones. Nobody is going to get decks in exact order, as they came to me all mixed up and I just generally sorted them, but the "forum special" folks should be in the low hundreds or less, as far as serial numbers go. Of course, with only 1000 everyone will have a number in the triple-digits or lower, except for one guy who got 1000/1000. Heh.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #223 on: May 05, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity
Paul.... Quit wasting time on the forums... There is another deck out there, I am sure,  that needs to be produced and designed by you. No rest for the wickedly famous  >:( :bosswalk:

« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2014, 04:17:05 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Not going to be opening these, just enjoying the tucks, having them in my hands, and checking out other folks pics! mine are going straight into my collection.

And BTW, badpete is right. I'll get paid on Friday, so the money supply will be refilled by then. This means that I expect a new release from you by Friday at 5PM at the latest!! ;-D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 04:18:48 PM by BiggerDee »

« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2014, 10:26:38 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Yes it was Monday and I had a bad day.............but it got much better when I got home  ;D

« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2014, 10:32:07 PM »

jwats01

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
  • I really like cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Got a delivery today! :)

« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »

badpete69

• Former Moderator
  • Discourse Deity

« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2014, 10:36:29 PM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
Received mine today as well.

The FOIL! Makes my eyes water, but I CANNOT look away!

Bang up job sir. 8)

« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2014, 10:59:05 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
All I can say is that I'm jealous of all the US buyers 'cause I'm in Canada. I know my package has been shipped, but it's taking forever to move anywhere. I swear, I'm having the worst luck getting stuff sent to me from the USA.

But, it's a beautiful tuckbox. I feel like saying it's not shiny enough, but then I don't think I'd want Paul to have to have a "beware of blinding shine" warning label on the deck.

« Reply #230 on: May 05, 2014, 11:06:17 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
But, it's a beautiful tuckbox. I feel like saying it's not shiny enough, but then I don't think I'd want Paul to have to have a "beware of blinding shine" warning label on the deck.

It is really hard to capture what the true look is in a photo. When you hold it, every little movement changes the color a little, from a flat-ish silver to intense rainbow. It's pretty neat, I think, and I like how the "mood" of the box can change so much depending on the light around you.
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2014, 04:26:59 AM »

rousselle

• Forum Regular
I love art that changes as you look at it from different angles. As a result, my eyes are naturally drawn to "shiny." Given what Paul just described regarding the tucks, I can wait to see these in person. Can. Not. Wait.

Oh, and I got e-mail today that said that mine have been shipped. Yee-ha!
There are no 3's in rousselle. There are, however, two s's, two l's, two e's (but not in a row), an r, an o, and a u.

« Reply #232 on: May 09, 2014, 02:45:18 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
For the side-load tuck newbs  :D :

http://instagram.com/p/nyP5otlL0_/
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #233 on: May 15, 2014, 05:56:32 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
Package arrived today - opened one. Paul it is terrific! Opened one - what a great look and feel!
Tom Dawson

« Reply #234 on: May 15, 2014, 06:41:50 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Glad you like them Tom! I am quite pleased with how they turned out and it's good to hear you feel likewise. Enjoy!
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #235 on: May 15, 2014, 07:41:44 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
I got my 2 decks of Zenith last week. I love the back design. It's a lot of fun to do the pirouette flourish with. My only regret is that I didn't pick up 4 decks so I could take out one to break and just fool around with.

« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I got mine today .. I love the way it glimmers in the light. Beautiful, thank you for making these :)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

A Quick Look and a WARNING!
« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2014, 06:26:23 AM »

Norbie

• Newcomer
Anyway, here are a few shots of my two decks.

I hope you don't catch this image while you're eating.

You can notice how the cello only covers 3/4 of the tuck.  Also notice how nice and clean they look.

WARNING! DONT HANDLE YOUR TUCK TO MUCH!!!!!!

I had this tuck in my hands for about half an hour .......

See how it's scuffed on the right side.  Be gentle with your Zenith tuck, I wasn't doing anything strenuous when I had the deck in my hands.  I was only spinning and turning (like when you watch a video for a deck and the person is showing off the deck, something along those lines) it while watching TV.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 06:27:03 AM by Norbie »

« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I've had a Zenith opened for a few months now and if you handle it constantly, the foil does wear. I don't actually own any other deck with that much foil coverage, but the few that have a lot do have some wear if you handle them frequently. I think this holo foil is a bit more delicate than a standard thick gold foil, and visible wear would probably also vary depending how oily or rough your hands were. I'd consider it a patina, and also a testament that you are brave enough to actually use the thing. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2014, 08:19:19 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I've had a Zenith opened for a few months now and if you handle it constantly, the foil does wear. I don't actually own any other deck with that much foil coverage, but the few that have a lot do have some wear if you handle them frequently. I think this holo foil is a bit more delicate than a standard thick gold foil, and visible wear would probably also vary depending how oily or rough your hands were. I'd consider it a patina, and also a testament that you are brave enough to actually use the thing. :)

I play with one of mine all the time - they're a great deck.  I think it's a shame there's so few in existence, but that's just me.

« Reply #240 on: August 01, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
FYI that in about an hour at 12pm I'll have the handful of Zenith uncut sheets and some of the tuck box printer proofs available in the store. I have very few of these things and some other items in the store are on sale for a short while, so you might want to poke around sooner rather than later if you are interested.

Thanks all. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #241 on: August 01, 2014, 03:23:18 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I got tied up at work and wasn't able to get to the site until a bit later, but I was very happy that there were still sheets and tucks available! I did my part to deplete inventory a little bit! :-) Good stuff!

« Reply #242 on: August 04, 2014, 03:06:47 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Looks like the tuck box proofs are sold out.             
The Zenith Uncut Sheets are still available

« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:07:48 AM by Rob Wright »

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #243 on: August 04, 2014, 12:38:52 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The uncut sheets are just fantastic, I wish I had the wall space to expand into this area of collecting. Leaving them all in tubes would make me crazy, lol. Maybe as the kiddies get older I can reclaim the entire basement  :D

« Reply #244 on: August 04, 2014, 03:00:44 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
there is only 1 uncut left, everything else is getting packed up and will be on it's way shortly. :)
Paul Carpenter

« Reply #245 on: August 05, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
I already have spots reserved on my wall! :-) I keep checking that tracking number religiously!