« on: October 21, 2013, 12:12:34 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
This was my Sunday project. Thank you to Sparkz for the idea. Took about 2hrs

Horizontally it will hold 28 decks, vertically will hold 30

What you will need

• 16"x20"(15.5" x 19.5" actual visual) Display case- This was from Hobby Lobby ($35 50% off = $17.50)
  • 1/4" x 1/2" x 48" x 2 pieces, hardwood trim(Home Depot $1.67 each)
  • #4 x 5/8" x 20 pieces, wood screws(HD 2 packs of 12 $1.18 each) I tried 1/2" screws first, but case has some padding on back making them too short
  • Can of black spray paint(HD $$3.87- Used about $0.50 worth)
  • Tools used
  • Cordless drill w/small drill bit
  • #1 Phillips driver bit
  • Tape measure
  • Pencil

* If you don't have these simple tools. You are not a real man. Read no further. Just go ask your Mommy to buy you a display case.

Cut trim to proper length, layout spacing, and mark w/pencil

Spray paint trim pieces. Use a scrap piece of trim and marked lines to drill holes through display case backing(5 each line)

This particular case, the frame is 1/4" bigger on all sides, then the visible glass is. One of the finished pieces of trim will be used on the bottom inside of the case.

Screw through back of case to secure trim pieces. You're done (give paint a full 24hrs to dry before filling)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:45:17 AM by Rob Wright »
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

Re: How to build a $25 display case.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 12:32:57 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Very nice Rob, awesome instructions.

This is basically the same process I used for my frames as well. Which reminds me..... I need to make some more soon. I'll have to go dig around some local craft shops and see what size display cases they have.

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 12:39:46 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Well done Rob, oddly enough I picked up 6 of these and I'm currently working on my master display wall, I'll be posting picks when it's all done. Great job again!

Those frames are fantastic at $17.50 aren't they, lol.....this was the 16x20 correct?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 12:42:07 AM by Sparkz »

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 01:02:01 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
Well done Rob, oddly enough I picked up 6 of these and I'm currently working on my master display wall, I'll be posting picks when it's all done. Great job again!

Those frames are fantastic at $17.50 aren't they, lol.....this was the 16x20 correct?

Yea, 16x20. I don't think I would go bigger then this. Full of cards it weighs about 10lbs
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:10:24 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

Yea, 16x20. I don't think I would go bigger then this. Full of cards it weighs about 10lbs

Ya, don't want them too heavy.........nice touch going Horizontal with those by the way, hadn't really considered that.  8)

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 01:56:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Yeah...heavy...

I use 5,000-count baseball card boxes for my sealed decks.  They hold 125 each.  I have eight of them.  Yeah...heavy...

My opened decks go into two stacked drawer units from Staples that I customized.  Each has eight standard drawers and two double-height drawers.  Not every drawer is filled, but I'm definitely at about 80% capacity used minimum.  The standard drawers hold 45 decks each.  The double-height drawers - well, I'm not sure, but I have one that has well over a hundred (over fifty stripper decks alone).  Yeah, heavy...

With the average deck of cards weighting in at 3.3 ounces (a little more than 90g), a standard drawer weighs about 9.25 lbs./4.2kg when full, a double-height drawer is probably closer to 20 lbs./~9kg or more, a box weighs in at about 25.75 lbs./11.7kg and one entire drawer unit tips the scales at nearly 115 lbs./52kg.  Yeah, heavy...  :))

I had to remove the wheels from the drawer units because they were breaking off from the strain - I replaced them with adhesive friction-reducing pads so I can gingerly slide the units on the floor when I need to move them.  If they were on a rug, they'd be pretty much immobile.  The units are stackable, which is a plus, but you really wouldn't want them taller than I made them, which is roughly tall enough to reach my pectoral muscles when I stand in front of it, and I'm just slightly taller than average at 5'9" (about 175cm).

I'd love to display my decks.  But I'd also love to display my uncut sheets.  And more importantly, I'd like to remain married and not have my wife throw a conniption fit over my choice of decor...  :))  It doesn't help that we live in a one-bedroom rental.

(I should NOT be complaining, really - I know some people would give their left testicle to have my collection.  It's not mega-outstanding, but it sure is big.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 02:03:42 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:44:48 AM »

Mydnyghte

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Forum Regular
That setup is genius! I'd been considering building something for a wall display, but that route looks more appealing. Especially since a cabinet is what I'd rather invest time in building. Plus, that's something I could do now, since we are currently renting and I don't have space to build anything. Ideally I'd like to have the ability to display one of each deck, while storing the duplicates.

Don I don't know about my left but maybe my right.

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 08:33:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
BTW: what is Hobby Lobby?  I don't think we have them in New York...

Could I trouble you to list the brand names and item numbers of the supplies?  It would help someone looking for just the right materials.

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, 12:04:54 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
BTW: what is Hobby Lobby?  I don't think we have them in New York...

Could I trouble you to list the brand names and item numbers of the supplies?  It would help someone looking for just the right materials.

Hobby Lobby is a craft store.
16" x 20" Black Front Loading Shallow Display Case  sku# 217984
Brand is Green Tree Gallery. It says 1/2" deep, but with the glass spacing it is 5/8"+. In general any case that is deep enough, and size is divisible by 4 works pretty good. 12x12-12x16-16x20-etc. 11x14 does not layout well.
I got the trim, paint and screws at Home Depot- I'm sure any hardware store would have what you need. A #4 screw (HD Store SKU # 282214) is about the smallest width wood screw you can get. Don't go with any bigger size screw if your spacers are going to be 1/4" wide. The head of the screw is pretty small, so get a #1 size Phillips screwdriver. The trim/spacers(HD Store SKU # 332016) I found in the specialty moulding section.
Depending on the size of your display case, you may be able to go a little bigger on the material. Painting the trim is optional. Just make sure you do several thin coats, and give it plenty of time to dry. It may feel dry after an hour, and be ok to install. Just don't put any thing you don't want paint on, against it until it fully cures-read your can of paint-24-48 hrs. Also when screwing the trim pieces in. Don't screw to close to the ends of the trim, or it will split. Stay back 1 1/2" or so. If your not use to using a cordless driver. I suggest using a hand screw driver. That way you can feel if the trim is splitting, and can stop before going too far.
Hope this helps.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 07:01:35 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I just wanted to add one thing to your great tutorial Rob.

I added two small rubber feat to the back side of the frame, opposite the hanging side. Since the hanging side isn't flush with the wall it leans forward from the top. So when you open the case you may start a chain reaction on decks falling out when removing just one. (I have experience in this with my Zippo display, lol) not to mention the door swings open on it's own.

Completely optional of course.

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »

magnacat

thanks everyone for the ideas... this thread has been of great help.  :)

i just went to Michael's today, and i wanted to let everyone know that if you are interested in doing this project, they have a deal for "buy one, get one free" on all frames, including these, and up to $229 each. it will only be good until tomorrow night (end of nov. 2), so hurry! you won't need a coupon for this, it is a store deal, but if you only want one, they have a 50% off coupon available now online (sorry i don't have a link)- although, if you ask most cashiers, they would give you one anyway. (that's how i got one)

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
So I had the ones Rob used, but went to the store and came across these, I believe they just started carrying them. They are the same size (16x20), but they have an actual "Frame" on them. They are a weathered black, and they also replaced the latch with magnets to keep the front closed. I picked up 2 of them for starters, and thought I would add them to this thread as another option.

I do like these better then the original version, they have a better "Look" to them. Available at Hobby Lobby, just like the others. :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:38:41 PM by Sparkz »

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I used a similar approach with a deeper shadow box frame, added shelving and am able to keep 84 decks in one small unit. This one sits on my desk and hold all my "daily users" that I like to pull off and play with during the day.
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 11:38:39 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Great info, great thread! I have one question for those of you who have used Rob's design, or something similar. How do you hang these on the wall since they are so heavy? The frames aren't the sturdiest in the world, so I was wondering if they handle the strain ok. I know that the heavy duty nail/hook frame hangers would work, I'm just more worried about the frame itself, based on the weight. Thanks!

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Great info, great thread! I have one question for those of you who have used Rob's design, or something similar. How do you hang these on the wall since they are so heavy? The frames aren't the sturdiest in the world, so I was wondering if they handle the strain ok. I know that the heavy duty nail/hook frame hangers would work, I'm just more worried about the frame itself, based on the weight. Thanks!

You'd be best off using heavy anchors, unless you have a stud finder and can screw them right into the studs.  I like these anchors from Home Depot that butterfly open inside the wall - each supports up to 75 lbs.

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

I use these all the time, very easy to secure, very clean and very strong.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 11:43:48 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
How about the frames? They usually have the little loops on the Masonite back panel. I was wondering if anyone used anything more substantial, or if that was enough?

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2013, 01:43:51 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I use these all the time, very easy to secure, very clean and very strong.

The ones I use operate by the same principle, but instead you drill a hole, insert the anchor, pull a pair of zip strips to cinch it up to the back of the sheetrock, snap off the strips and use the included metal screw for hanging or securing whatever it is you want to hang or secure.  They're wicked strong - I mounted a medicine cabinet in my bathroom using just two of them.

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 06:42:02 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
How about the frames? They usually have the little loops on the Masonite back panel. I was wondering if anyone used anything more substantial, or if that was enough?

I would recommend checking them before you hang/mount the frame. The ones on the frames Curt and I are using are pretty strong, but I'm sure there are some that aren't. Worse case scenario you can remove the existing ones and use something else. I think the "Loop" type work best, especially if you use a screw with a head on it and one of the anchors that have been discussed and not a nail.

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Sounds great, thanks! I have about 10 of these to hang initially, and i wanted to make sure before I got too deep into the project.

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 01:41:20 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
A couple of our members were talking about buying this display in another thread. One of the places you can get it is Collectable Playing Cards
$129.95 + shipping of $4 to my home. (didn't buy) Shipping seemed really low. USPS.com price for package of this size is $16-$24.
It holds 60 decks and is approximately 31"x20". It's 100% acrylic. I'm sure the display weights almost nothing, but 60 decks is something else. The price seems high to me considering it's all plastic. It has an inherent flaw as well. The acrylic(plexiglass) front is only supported on the bottom and top rails. The sides are not supported so that it can slide back and fourth to open the case. Large pieces of plexiglass bow over time if not fully supported. The plastic hangers on the back do not impress me either.

So the question is, as Don would say, if I can build a better mouse trap.
If I can build a better display for about the same cost or less. Would anybody be interested in buying one?
If so, how many decks would you prefer it to hold?
Black-Stained wood?

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 02:55:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
A couple of our members were talking about buying this display in another thread. One of the places you can get it is Collectable Playing Cards
$129.95 + shipping of $4 to my home. (didn't buy) Shipping seemed really low. USPS.com price for package of this size is $16-$24.
It holds 60 decks and is approximately 31"x20". It's 100% acrylic. I'm sure the display weights almost nothing, but 60 decks is something else. The price seems high to me considering it's all plastic. It has an inherent flaw as well. The acrylic(plexiglass) front is only supported on the bottom and top rails. The sides are not supported so that it can slide back and fourth to open the case. Large pieces of plexiglass bow over time if not fully supported. The plastic hangers on the back do not impress me either.

So the question is, as Don would say, if I can build a better mouse trap.
If I can build a better display for about the same cost or less. Would anybody be interested in buying one?
If so, how many decks would you prefer it to hold?
Black-Stained wood?

A simple solution to the support problem is to fasten a string to one side, preferably at the same height as one of the shelves and run the string across the entire width of the case to the other end, where you install some kind of latching mechanism for holding the string in place.  A good string to use would be high-test fishing line - you can get one that's exceptionally fine yet still strong enough to hold the Plexiglas cover in place and keep it from bowing.  The latching mechanism would allow you to easily open the cabinet for making whatever substitutions you want.  Want more support, or want to use a finer fishing line?  Make two string supports by the same method.  The likeliest place to put them would be just above and below the middle row of cards, in line with the shelves.  If you're worried that attaching the string's ends to the cabinet will somehow cause the Plexiglas to crack, attach it to the wall instead, or simply use cyanoacrylate glue, epoxy, water-activated glue such as Gorilla Glue, etc. rather than driving fasteners into the cabinet.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:57:32 AM by Don Boyer »

Storing and Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2014, 07:17:54 PM »

52plusjoker

• Frequent Flyer
It is important to take good care of your collection and handling and storage of your cards are key elements of proper care. When showing or looking at your decks be careful as you handle them, especially as you remove or replace them in their boxes and wrappers. In fact, many collectors store old wrappers in albums rather than risk damaging them as they look at their decks. If you have sealed decks - keep them that way. You can usually find pictures on the internet if you want to actually examine the cards.

There are a number of stationery and archival stores where the packaging you need can be obtained. We can’t emphasize too much the importance of using good archival materials (albums, wrappers, boxes, etc.) in storing your decks, especially your old and rare ones. After all, playing cards and their packaging are paper products and paper deteriorates with age. We owe it to ourselves, and those coming behind us, to do our absolute best to make sure our decks stay in the condition that we found them in for as long as possible.

There are a number of ways to store decks, including archival boxes, cases and spool cabinets or other chests with flat drawers. Decks that have no boxes should be packaged in some kind of protective cover, whether a plastic box, a paper wrapper, homemade box, etc. Elastics, unless of the new archival type, should never be used on a deck as they deteriorate with time and can cause considerable damage. Again, proper storage helps decks stay in their present condition longer and helps preserve them for the enjoyment of our future collectors.

Pictured is a nice old card rack from a private club.

Tom Dawson
52 Plus Joker Playing Card Collectors Club

Re: Storing and Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2014, 09:54:54 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
There's a valuable new widget that's been developed - that you're well aware of but some may not be - that's a boon to antique and vintage deck collector.  Those new pack jackets are perfect and purpose-built for the preservation of playing cards, both in box and loose.  No collector - especially no vintage collector - should be without them.

Re: Storing and Displaying Your Collection
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 12:22:01 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
For single card storage, I've seen the plastic card protectors that go in a 3 ring binder. Some of these say archival quality, but who knows. Is it certain types of plastics that are good, or is it a coating that makes it archival?
I've also seen the hard acrylic single card holders. In general are those ok to use, or some archival, some not?

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB