Author (Read 2367 times)

Nimue Dokin Cards
« on: March 03, 2017, 01:30:15 PM »

MisterDokin

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hi.
He's preparing these playing cards with my graphics.
I always loved the colors and abstract shapes so I decided to draw up a complete set of playing gioco.Ho wanted to make different cards using abstract forms but are still recognizable by the letters and signs placed at the top in the cards.
I prepare two sets different, light and dark edition inclusive of tuck box and if the project were to be fine (above expectations) will fulfill the most rigid boxes to cover.
what do you think?

Tuck Box

Dark Edition

Light Edition

Federico Boscaini - Illustrator design - www.misterdokin.ink

Re: Nimue Dokin Cards
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
The designs will not appeal to the mainstream, but you're not aiming for the mainstream in the first place.  It's something that would have strong appeal to artists, without a doubt.  Card collectors will be a little more fickle about them, but the ones that collect more artistic decks will find it appealing - if they happen to enjoy abstracts.

Good luck with the design!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »

skinny

• Forum Regular
...but are still recognizable by the letters and signs placed at the top in the cards.

I looked at the pictures before reading your text and literally, my first thought was, "Is that a 3 or a 5?"
Overlay a 3 and a 5 and you get your 5. Hmmm.

My 2¢ -- I like them quite a bit. I'm all about interesting, playable cards. If ~only~ the jokers bleed off the edge, I'm mostly okay with that. If I can't read an index immediately, though, that's a deal breaker for me.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 03:36:33 AM »

MisterDokin

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
...but are still recognizable by the letters and signs placed at the top in the cards.

I looked at the pictures before reading your text and literally, my first thought was, "Is that a 3 or a 5?"

My 2¢ -- I like them quite a bit. I'm all about interesting, playable cards. If ~only~ the jokers bleed off the edge, I'm mostly okay with that. If I can't read an index immediately, though, that's a deal breaker for me.
Thanks for your interest and for the advice Skinny .Can improve the numbers and letters to make them more readable with the simplest elements to read.
You think it's better to use a white board such as the classic card, or change too the concept of playing cards?

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 03:41:55 AM »

MisterDokin

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The designs will not appeal to the mainstream, but you're not aiming for the mainstream in the first place.  It's something that would have strong appeal to artists, without a doubt.  Card collectors will be a little more fickle about them, but the ones that collect more artistic decks will find it appealing - if they happen to enjoy abstracts.

Good luck with the design!
Hi Don Boyer,
Thanks for you comment and for technical advice that you have given me. I hope to find some people interested in my project so that you can quit and realize the project. Thanks again.
If you have other tips are available, I would like to have more possible advice in order to launch the project at best.

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 12:50:24 PM »

skinny

• Forum Regular
The 3 is now a 3. That helps me.

Do what you like! There are a lot of rules that make cards that are good for everything. Almost everyone breaks some of them.

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 08:53:44 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Thanks for your interest and for the advice Skinny .Can improve the numbers and letters to make them more readable with the simplest elements to read.
You think it's better to use a white board such as the classic card, or change too the concept of playing cards?

In general, it's better that the borders match on all the cards.  If the jokers are red-bordered and the rest of the cards are white-bordered, you'll be able to spot the jokers in the middle of the deck immediately by looking at the edge of the deck.  But if you're making a more "artistic" deck, you can take a little artistic license if you want - though at the risk of further alienating anyone seeking a more functional deck as well as a more artistic deck.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:43:44 AM »

MisterDokin

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Good point, I had not thought about it and I had taken for granted that detail.
Thanks for saying that.
I upgraded the part behind this is also true of the cards as the boxes of the two editions.
Now they look more elegant and in line.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 05:39:14 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Good point, I had not thought about it and I had taken for granted that detail.
Thanks for saying that.
I upgraded the part behind this is also true of the cards as the boxes of the two editions.
Now they look more elegant and in line.

Ah, but you see where the Kings have artwork that extends into the bleed area, past the die line?  That, too, can be spotted from the edge of the deck.  I'd be able to identify and pull out those kings just by looking at the top or bottom edge of your deck.  Better to have the artwork either end hard before the die line or fade out before the die line.  You really want uniformity on the edges of every single card, for the faces as well as the backs.

Again, like I stated earlier, as an artistic deck, you can take a bit more artistic license.  Some people might appreciate the more artistic style, its uniqueness and creativity.  But if someone's looking for a deck that's more functional, this deck wouldn't fit the bill.  It really depends on which audience you're aiming harder to get - people into the cool design work above all other considerations or people looking for an attractive, modern but functional deck.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 03:24:41 PM »

MisterDokin

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Hello to everyone
I updated the cards by adding new designs transforming the 3 cards of unique figurative signs and different from the others.
Even the sail so as the box with embossing effect

I hope you enjoy it as a preview before you can launch the project on kickstarter.

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »

MisterDokin

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
This is Seal With Back card

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 04:15:36 AM »

MisterDokin

• Newcomer

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The project that I'm preparing which represent geometric and abstract shapes that make up both figures like J-Q-K and Jolly, both isometric and processing of the numbered cards.

Below you will find the images: