You are Here:
Brass Card Clip by Joe Porper [DANANDDAVE.COM]

Author (Read 2758 times)

Brass Card Clip by Joe Porper [DANANDDAVE.COM]
« on: December 17, 2014, 03:59:01 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Brass Card Clip by Joe Porper: A timeless accessory for your playing cards.

http://shop.dananddave.com/brass-clip.html
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 04:01:59 PM by Card Player »

Re: Brass Card Clip by Joe Porper [DANANDDAVE.COM]
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:07:15 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire
Sorry for the Double Post.

I just wanted to say I picked up one of these brass card clips. Its now the best usable Card Clip I own. Its everything Dan & Dave said it was.

It looks amazing. Created from a solid brass sheet. It has that 24k gold mirrored look to it that just does not compare to the gold aluminum Porper clips. Its thinner then the aluminum Porper clip. However it's heavier. I actually like the weight to this better. It just feels like a higher quality alloy as soon as you put it in your hands. It terms of functionality, I have no apprehension about using this. Its just solid metal, no luxury added elements. Nothing to compromise the strength or the function of the clips original intended use. The price is less then most luxury clips, despite using a more expensive alloy.

I highly recommended the Brass Card Clips by DANANDDAVE.COM.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 10:41:33 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 12:13:33 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Card Player, thanks for the review.

I own a standard black Porper clip that I got sometime in 2012. At the time I was told that it was the best quality clip available, and so when I found one on eBay for less than the usual price that they listed for on online shops, I didn't hesitate to make the purchase. Once I received the Porper clip and tried to use it, I absolutely hated it.

More than anything, getting a deck in and out of the clip was a nightmare -- I ruined two tuckboxes. My porper clip has been collecting dust ever since.

So brother, is the brass Porper clip any easier to use?
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 01:10:08 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)
Nice, thanks for the review. I have been considering picking one of them up actually. I have a card clip already and I think I have one of the steel ones from E coming, don't remember I just tossed some stuff in the cart and said "send me a Red LTD please" haha. Something about the shiny brass Dan and Dave one grabbed my attention and I've been waffling on it for a bit now. Good to know I can stop waffling and just snag me one of those beauties. :))
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 12:39:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

I own a standard black Porper clip that I got sometime in 2012. At the time I was told that it was the best quality clip available, and so when I found one on eBay for less than the usual price that they listed for on online shops, I didn't hesitate to make the purchase. Once I received the Porper clip and tried to use it, I absolutely hated it.

More than anything, getting a deck in and out of the clip was a nightmare -- I ruined two tuckboxes. My porper clip has been collecting dust ever since.

Something that many people overlook about Porper clips is that they do an excellent job at protecting your CARDS - while at the same time destroying your tuck boxes.  It's the application of pressure from the sides - it keeps cards flat and ready to use, like a card press in your pocket, but the boxes were never meant to be pressed in this fashion.  Embossing and debossing get flattened and the walls of the tuck box get crushed when you transfer the box in and out of the clip.

The real problem is that ANY such solution that flattens cards will destroy boxes unless the cards are being flattened without a box.  Cards are great when flat; boxes, not so much.  Porpers or other clips can't flatten just the cards as they will come loose - and directly-applied pressure to the top and bottom cards of a deck without a cushioning layer of tuck box paper between will ruin that card and possibly one or two more below it.  Legit old-school deck presses were capable of holding as many as a dozen decks with dividers between them - but they were all without boxes (deck presses actually were first in use before decks were sold in tuck boxes - they were simply wrapped in paper).  Presses started falling out of favor when cards started dropping in price to the point that nearly anyone could afford at least a cheap, bottom-of-the-line deck.

I can tell you that a Porper clip can be pried open just a wee bit, allowing a super-tight clamp to change into a merely-tight clamp.  I managed that on my old Porper by simply pulling the sides apart manually.  You won't get a lot of play from them, but the old ones were aluminum, and it is to some degree bendable, despite how they're carved from a solid block of the metal.  This brass one should be even easier to bend, factoring in that it doesn't have the "warped spine" that gives the original Porper its spring-like tension.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 10:08:02 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Good Morning

Having just received the clip, my use of it is not extensive. My description of the clip is a first impression, what enticed me to buy the clip and how it felt to get it in my hands. I recommend it highly because I believe there is great value.

I'm going to agree with Don on his general description of card clips. I own 3 - 4 various clips now. The clip is about protecting and keeping pressure on the cards, not so much protecting the tuck. Although I did not "break in" the Brass Clip, I have pulled (pried) apart my other clips to allow the deck to move in and out without shredding the tuck. Because this particular clip is thinner, flat spine and brass alloy, pulling it open should be "in theory" easier then the Aluminium. Aluminium is a harder alloy then brass. For our practical purposes (a deck of cards), brass works well.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 10:29:08 AM by Card Player »

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 02:25:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Good Morning

Having just received the clip, my use of it is not extensive. My description of the clip is a first impression, what enticed me to buy the clip and how it felt to get it in my hands. I recommend it highly because I believe there is great value.

I'm going to agree with Don on his general description of card clips. I own 3 - 4 various clips now. The clip is about protecting and keeping pressure on the cards, not so much protecting the tuck. Although I did not "break in" the Brass Clip, I have pulled (pried) apart my other clips to allow the deck to move in and out without shredding the tuck. Because this particular clip is thinner, flat spine and brass alloy, pulling it open should be "in theory" easier then the Aluminium. Aluminium is a harder alloy then brass. For our practical purposes (a deck of cards), brass works well.

This actually gives me an idea.  Why doesn't someone develop a "crushable" tuck box, with sides that are designed to flatten?  Cloth sides might work nicely.  When the box is empty, you never have to worry about crushing it, because it will simply flatten of its own accord.  Fill it with cards, it regains its shape; push it into a card clip, no damage is done (as long as the box isn't embossed or foil-laden).  Food for thought...
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 10:44:34 PM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Good Morning

This actually gives me an idea.  Why doesn't someone develop a "crushable" tuck box, with sides that are designed to flatten?  Cloth sides might work nicely.  When the box is empty, you never have to worry about crushing it, because it will simply flatten of its own accord.  Fill it with cards, it regains its shape; push it into a card clip, no damage is done (as long as the box isn't embossed or foil-laden).  Food for thought...

I've been thinking about this. I was not sure if I was going to touch this or not. lol Sounds like that could get expensive per deck. Rubber might work better then cloth. An unbreakable condom with super thick walls.

The Card Condom! :))

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 10:46:34 PM by Card Player »