KINGS WILD PROJECT - Official Topic

Author (Read 27454 times)

Re: KINGS WILD PROJECT - Official Topic
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2014, 12:07:26 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Have no fear, the 101 will most likely change. The court card set on the 303s Army Navy deck (which is the one I have) is not my favorite. I really don't like the flesh color added to the faces or the style of figures used. One of my favorite court sets are that of one of my original Steamboat 999 decks. It uses a strong two color scheme of red and black and I will be utilizing that 2 color scheme in relationship to the branch.

e.g.

Army Black/Green
Navy Black/Blue
Marines Black/Red
AirForce Black/Silver

Playing cards are my art and if I wanted to just copy a deck it would be interesting or allow for any self expression. I don't really want to put 999 on it but don't feel right about putting 303 on it either if I change the courts. I most likely will put the No 13 on it as I used that for my Kings Wild Tally Hos. I don't believe in luck but I have always like the number 13.

Tradition is very important to me, but writing my own part of the story is as well not just copying, that is why most of the elements have changed on the tuck.

There's no reason why you couldn't alter or update the courts to whatever fit the bill.  All of USPC's brands have a changing gallery of courts over the years.  And I really do like the idea of using the number 303!  It's tradition.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 12:46:32 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Have no fear, the 101 will most likely change. The court card set on the 303s Army Navy deck (which is the one I have) is not my favorite. I really don't like the flesh color added to the faces or the style of figures used. One of my favorite court sets are that of one of my original Steamboat 999 decks. It uses a strong two color scheme of red and black and I will be utilizing that 2 color scheme in relationship to the branch.

e.g.

Army Black/Green
Navy Black/Blue
Marines Black/Red
AirForce Black/Silver

Playing cards are my art and if I wanted to just copy a deck it would be interesting or allow for any self expression. I don't really want to put 999 on it but don't feel right about putting 303 on it either if I change the courts. I most likely will put the No 13 on it as I used that for my Kings Wild Tally Hos. I don't believe in luck but I have always like the number 13.

Tradition is very important to me, but writing my own part of the story is as well not just copying, that is why most of the elements have changed on the tuck.

There's no reason why you couldn't alter or update the courts to whatever fit the bill.  All of USPC's brands have a changing gallery of courts over the years.  And I really do like the idea of using the number 303!  It's tradition.

No problem, I don't mind sticking with tradition. I still will update the courts a bit i think.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
No. 303
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:55:08 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Also Tom, could you explain the "Second Quality" phrase on the original Army navy Tuck, seems kind of bad marketing saying this isn't our best quality... That's why i changed mine to "Finest"

Side note for Don, should I be talking about design stuff in this thread or another one in Development. I'm just lazy and don't like having more than one thread.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2014, 01:30:50 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Also Tom, could you explain the "Second Quality" phrase on the original Army navy Tuck, seems kind of bad marketing saying this isn't our best quality... That's why i changed mine to "Finest"

Side note for Don, should I be talking about design stuff in this thread or another one in Development. I'm just lazy and don't like having more than one thread.

I know a wee bit about it.  Occasionally decks got through printing which were a little defective, but still in usable condition.  These were sold as "factory seconds".  For a costlier brand (Army & Navy were premium decks), it gave people a chance to own the more expensive cards without paying the top-dollar price, and USPC didn't have to trash entire print runs that didn't meet quality standards.

« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2014, 04:31:34 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
One of three back design for my upcoming Army project. This is the back design for the 1910 Army Deck. It features my interpretation of the Department of the Army Seal. I did research on all of the seal elements and depicted period correct elements.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:32:28 PM by JacksonRobinson »
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2014, 05:30:27 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
2nd round, 12pm central this Saturday

Kings Wild Project shared a link.

This Saturday The Independence playing card series and the second batch of LTD Civil War decks will be available on the Kings Wild Website and also in the brand new Kings Wild Facebook shop.

http://kings-wild-project.myshopify.com/collections/independence

Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
^ how many LE display decks are there? The LE set page says less than 50 LE sets left, are there more than that # of display decks? For some reason I thought the display decks were supposed to be as limited a print run as the actual LE decks...if not, then it's kind of misleading to associate them with the LE deck.

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
  • Mere-Mortal playing card collector
^ how many LE display decks are there? The LE set page says less than 50 LE sets left, are there more than that # of display decks? For some reason I thought the display decks were supposed to be as limited a print run as the actual LE decks...if not, then it's kind of misleading to associate them with the LE deck.

There's a total of 1000 sets of LTD decks maybe minus a small handful due to damages so in theory less than 1000 in mint condition in total. The display decks had their own run and was never stated as exclusive to any particular run. It was offer a free upgrade by Jackson so that those with LTDs could be able to keep their LTD sets unopen and still be able to see the cards. So although I get your point, I don't think it's a perfectly valid. There was no mislead that the display decks are limited to 1000 or a specific number. They are associated with the LTD decks 'cause they share the same cards, but they're in a no-frills tuckcase.

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2014, 08:57:19 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
so aren't the display decks supposed to be a nice free bonus for those who shelled out for the LTD decks? You using the term "upgrade" shows that it's inherently somewhat misleading, because "upgrade" can mean something that is only achievable with the base product. e.g. you wouldn't be able to upgrade/add on a part to your computer or your car without having a computer or a car in the first place. What about those that paid for the LTD decks because they liked the upgraded artwork and the more intricate back design? There may be customers who wanted to be able to own the nicer artwork who would have just waited until the kickstarter campaign was over had they known the display decks would be sold individually. Look, this may just be a matter of semantics so we can agree to disagree, but I think if the display decks were always planned to be sold individually jackson could have included a line about it on the kickstarter.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 08:59:45 PM by doubleUTF »

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2014, 09:06:00 PM »

JacksonRobinson

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
so aren't the display decks supposed to be a nice free bonus for those who shelled out for the LTD decks? You using the term "upgrade" shows that it's inherently somewhat misleading, because "upgrade" can mean something that is only achievable with the base product. e.g. you wouldn't be able to upgrade/add on a part to your computer or your car without having a computer or a car in the first place. What about those that paid for the LTD decks because they liked the upgraded artwork and the more intricate back design? There may be customers who wanted to be able to own the nicer artwork who would have just waited until the kickstarter campaign was over had they known the display decks would be sold individually. Look, this may just be a matter of semantics so we can agree to disagree, but I think if the display decks were always planned to be sold individually jackson could have included a line about it on the kickstarter.

The display decks were a free gift I gave to everyone the pledged for the LTD decks. It should also be noted that I didn't even announce that I was giving the display decks away until ALL LTD decks had been spoken for. I don't find any error in what I did or how I communicated with backers. I guess we agree to disagree.
Jackson Robinson
www.kingswildproject.com

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2014, 09:21:10 PM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty
Not to pile things, but at no time was it stated that the Display Deck was exclusive to Kickstarter only. It stated that it was that to "add bang to buck" those with the LTD tiers would get two extra deck per LTD sets they have. I don't see that as in any de-valuing what people have paid for already with their LTD sets. To me, they get deal by supporting Jackson on Kickstarter. The LTD set went for 75$ with domestic shipping included already. The LTD set is now going for 100$ on the Kings Wild website with shipping being extra. I've seen products stated exclusive to Kickstarter only, but none of Jackson's decks are. It's always be stated that for most of them, except LTD, there will be extras printed available for site purchase. I've gone through things, there's nothing misleading. There's been questions, in the comment sections, asked if Display decks would be sold post-Kickstarter and the answer have been "Yes, pending on inventory count".

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2014, 09:34:44 PM »

bamabenz

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member
I backed the Independence big time on Kickstarter. I'm surprised to see the Display deck offered for only $5 -- frankly I think its underpriced -- but I'm not surprised or upset to see them for sale. I'm gonna get some more!

/bama

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2014, 09:38:13 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
cool, someone gave me -reputation for my post. guess my opinion is invalid. thanks for the response though jackson, appreciate hearing from you.

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2014, 10:45:26 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
cool, someone gave me -reputation for my post. guess my opinion is invalid. thanks for the response though jackson, appreciate hearing from you.
Whether it's negative or positive rep- at least people are reading your post. Never be afraid of speaking your mind.

I heard about the display decks during a Google hangout, but they were not announced until 3 days before the end of the KS campaign.
It doesn't surprise me the display decks are being sold separately. I don't have a problem with it, and agree that $5 seems to be a pretty good deal. By my calculation there should be about 500 extra display deck sets. There is a pretty ingenious reason for that, I do believe.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2014, 03:21:13 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Somehow I missed this side note...

Anything having to do with Kings Wild can be promoted right here, regardless of category.

I wouldn't sweat the rep stuff too much.  Beyond needing a rep of one (1) to post in the STISO board (among other requirements) it doesn't actually mean all that much.

Guys - cut him a little slack.  You were all n00bz once, no need to make it harder than it is.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 03:22:44 AM by Don Boyer »

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
I'm happy to see the display decks for sale, especially at that price. Gives me a chance to gift the decks to friends, saves them from touching my stash :p

EDIT: the entire Independence set got sold for $300 on eBay, I hope the person who bought it is kicking themselves for being impatient. Crazy collector's out there sometimes :p

Moving away from Independence, will the next batch of LE Civil War decks be priced the same as the first 200 were? I know it's along way off, just curious.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 08:49:52 AM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2014, 10:44:19 AM »

bhong

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

Moving away from Independence, will the next batch of LE Civil War decks be priced the same as the first 200 were? I know it's along way off, just curious.

Thanks in advance.

The LE Civil War are out today as well if you check out the main Kings Wild website page. Last I know, they should be 30$. There wasn't any plan, that I know, to change the price of it.

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2014, 07:39:54 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Thanks in advance.

The LE Civil War are out today as well if you check out the main Kings Wild website page. Last I know, they should be 30$. There wasn't any plan, that I know, to change the price of it.

Looks like there may be some LE CW decks still available. Just picked up some and added a couple display decks.

Steven Wright

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2014, 09:57:25 AM »

aldazar

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Elite Member

Thanks in advance.

Looks like there may be some LE CW decks still available. Just picked up some and added a couple display decks.

Wow thanks for the heads-up! Just picked up a couple myself! =)

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2014, 10:03:30 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Taken from KWP fb page

"Starting on Saturday, October 4th - Monday, October 6th I will be having a Kings Wild Halloween Overrun sale. The sale will be for a very short time and will last while supplies remain. This will be a great opportunity for you to grab a fully custom Kings Wild deck for around $5, so that you can enjoy the art and not have to worry about opening a collector's item.

With every deck production, overrun decks are produced. We wanted to create a fun way for us to make these overrun decks available to you at a ridiculous price. Each deck IS UNWRAPPED and out of the cellophane and will have the silver Kings Wild Seal placed on the top of the deck. These decks are not damaged or seconds hands. The overrun decks will only be sold in 6 packs and mixed bricks. Each six pack and mixed brick will include a random assortment of the decks pictured and listed below. In order to keep things simple we will not guarantee what decks you receive or let you choose, but we will make every effort to give you a great assortment. You will also receive a free V1 Federal 52 Collectors Brick Box if you order a mixed brick.

Possible Deck Combinations:

Standard Continental
Standard Crown
LTD Bakerstreet
Holmes
Moriarty v2
Branded White Reserve Note
Unbranded Silver Certificate"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:05:18 AM by Nurul »
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2014, 04:14:07 PM »

DarkDerp

• Discourse Veteran
What are you doing Nurul!? Ixnay on the alesay. Give a brother a chance to purchase his first ickbray.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.
I like to call paper coatings a finish. It makes Don happy.

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2014, 08:02:36 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
What are you doing Nurul!? Ixnay on the alesay. Give a brother a chance to purchase his first ickbray.

LOL...........anyway, 12:00 Central for those looking for somewhere to shop this weekend  ;D

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2014, 09:31:22 PM »

Fess

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado
  • ;)

LOL...........anyway, 12:00 Central for those looking for somewhere to shop this weekend  ;D

Hahaha, I have an admission to make. I actually don't own any of Jackson's stuff myself, nor have I ever played with any of his decks. I've backed three of his KS campaigns, but for gifting, including the most recent cancelled Army campaign. Great opportunity to get my paws on some his decks and check them out. :)
Part of my Collection updated infrequently but occasionally, when I remember. (I haven't in months.)

« Reply #74 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:01 PM »

hecrob

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
  • Magically Delicious

• Facebook:
If i get up at the right time i could snag some KW swag....  ???

I wish i didn't have to go to a wedding the night before this...  :-\
Form Follows Function