EXPERT PLAYING CARD COMPANY - Official Topic

Author (Read 25484 times)

EXPERT PLAYING CARD COMPANY - Official Topic
« on: April 18, 2014, 02:08:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Allow me to be the first to welcome you to a new concept at the Discourse.  PCF and Expert P.C. Co. entered into a promotional partnership recently and you're seeing one of the results.

Our forum has a new member: "Expert P.C. Co.", with a new rank, "Discourse Agent".  This "member" isn't a standard one - it's the official "company identity" of the Expert Playing Card Company on the Discourse.  "Members" with the rank of Discourse Agent are accounts used by the company to distribute official information and field questions from the membership about their upcoming products, services, events - or even if you just want to say, "Great job, love your stuff!"  This topic is the Discourse Agent's home on the board - the place to go to get the latest information, ask your questions and so on.

The Discourse Agent rank allows the individual members who are employees or owners of a company to use their personal accounts as just that, personal accounts, and to use the Discourse Agent on behalf of their company to be the official news source and conduit for contact.  In time, PCF will create similar partnerships with other companies, giving our members more ways to interact with the companies that make the new decks and other products they love so much!

Keep an eye out for Expert P.C. Co.'s first post!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 06:42:03 PM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

Re: EXPERT PLAYING CARD COMPANY - Official Topic
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 05:47:06 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
So I think the object of this topic is to talk directly to EPCC.  If that is right I do have a couple of questions:

First, what is the typical cost to get a run of cards from EPCC?  I am currently working on a small project (it may become my entry into the contest, already have had a topic on it in the design section called "hard angle") and was looking to do a kickstarter but I was keeping my sights low at first and just aiming to use a printer like Make Playing Cards.com.  I was doing this as since it will be my first kickstarter/deck design ever, I figured to start small to get an understanding of how this all works and MPC allows runs as low as a single deck.  I know LPCC according to their site require at least a 1500 deck run so I was wondering if it was the same for EPCC since it seems you both use the same printer.

Second, since I am also rather new to the fact that there are other companies besides USPCC out there, and I have been looking at the cards you are putting out, what would be the best deck to buy to get an idea of how the typical cards you print feel?  I currently live on a tight budget so I don't have money to buy your variety pack (though I wish I could).

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 08:32:41 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
So I think the object of this topic is to talk directly to EPCC.  If that is right I do have a couple of questions:

First, what is the typical cost to get a run of cards from EPCC?  I am currently working on a small project (it may become my entry into the contest, already have had a topic on it in the design section called "hard angle") and was looking to do a kickstarter but I was keeping my sights low at first and just aiming to use a printer like Make Playing Cards.com.  I was doing this as since it will be my first kickstarter/deck design ever, I figured to start small to get an understanding of how this all works and MPC allows runs as low as a single deck.  I know LPCC according to their site require at least a 1500 deck run so I was wondering if it was the same for EPCC since it seems you both use the same printer.

Second, since I am also rather new to the fact that there are other companies besides USPCC out there, and I have been looking at the cards you are putting out, what would be the best deck to buy to get an idea of how the typical cards you print feel?  I currently live on a tight budget so I don't have money to buy your variety pack (though I wish I could).

Actually, I can answer both questions for you right now!

Pricing is generally handled individually and is something you'd need to discuss directly with the company.  That's the case of many companies, especially when considering the addition of custom features, customer loyalty, etc.  I can say they're priced better than USPC and offer a superior quality card.

The best example - Bill Kalush himself has told me that the Exquisites are his best deck to date, and that the blue ones handle just a tiny bit better than the reds.  Both handle slightly better than the Legends v.2 decks, which are pretty stellar themselves in the handling department. 

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 03:50:14 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

• The Expert Playing Card Company

Sorry for the slow reply to your questions.
Don is right on both counts but let me clarify a bit.
Expert PCC will print one off runs of 1,000 decks and if someone is printing a few orders all at once we would even consider doing 500 decks for a very special edition. We can't do 500 all by themselves though.
Except for Global Titans all of our decks to date have used the same paper and coatings. Surprisingly that doesn't mean they all feel identically though. At the moment our preference is the Zenith by Encarded. The NOC decks are also amazing and the Exquisite Bold which will be an exclusive release by the Art of Play feel different than the others (somewhat softer). These differences are primarily due to the ink coverage and how it affects the paper and coating. But you can rest assured that all of these decks are excellent.

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 05:05:07 PM »

doubledouble

• True Member
^ exquisite bold? more information please!

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 05:16:13 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

^ exquisite bold? more information please!

We gave Art of Play the exclusive so they will be the gatekeepers of secret info on this one! But once they announce I'll spill more details.

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

Here is a peak at a deck that is on the horizon...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:19:59 PM by Expert P.C. Co. »

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 09:02:48 AM »

tscharger

• Newcomer
  • Card Collector / Card Player

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:
Will EPPCC be releasing a readily available "standard" deck?

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2014, 11:55:22 AM »

Expert P.C. Co.

Will EPPCC be releasing a readily available "standard" deck?

There are several standard decks in the works. Our goal is to create a really beautiful but affordable "worker" deck so that performers and cardists can use them all the time without breaking the bank.
I'm hoping that the first version will be released in 2014.

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 11:57:14 AM »

volantangel

• True Member
Would you guys consider having a distribution facility from Taiwan itself to cater for the Asian community?

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 01:16:54 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

Would you guys consider having a distribution facility from Taiwan itself to cater for the Asian community?

Some supplies of most of the decks that we are producing for Conjuring Arts (not customer ordered like Zenith) are also going to Lawrence Sullivan to sell in Asia. This should help somewhat with Asian orders and excessive postage. Alternatively if you know of a good fulfillment house in Taiwan we might use them to expedite our orders there.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 01:57:28 AM »

volantangel

• True Member
Nope i dont have any to recommend, but im sure there are, in fact shouldnt the factory have some contacts on its own ?

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 12:44:28 PM »

Shebhnt

• Elite Member
Question, I just bought a pack of blue exquisites and I love them.  They fan awesome and feel really nice.  The one thing though is that they seem to not want to faro for me.  I have gotten them to do it a few times but I can't seem to do it consistently and smoothly like I can with other decks. Is there a specific way I should be trying to faro these?

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:21:20 PM »

HolyJJ

• Discourse Royalty
Respected greetings to the EPCC :)

For what it's worth, I'm in agreement with the popular view that EPCC are the real deal when it comes to putting out products with superior quality.

I have a question about the card stock used for EPCC cards which are printed in Taiwan. The question is based on a discussion I had with Don a little while ago, and he recommended that I ask for clarification here... but I never got round to it, until today.

On the sales page for the Exquisite deck(s) it's implied that the paper/card for the Exquisites are the same as the paper that is used for the Legends, with the only difference being the way that the ink is used.

I use the V2 Legends a lot, and every once in a while I'll make use of the Exquisites also... and they do feel different. Some have said that there's a "slight difference"... but I think the difference is pretty huge. Whilst the coating does feel like it's the same, the Exquisite cards feel a lot softer and more flexible, and they also feel thinner.

Is the paper for Master Finish cards and Diamond Finish cards really the same? Master Finish cards feel a lot similar to V1 Legends than they do to V2.

Thank you for your time... and I look forward to all future EPCC releases.
With this signature I'm following the example set by Fes: There is only ONE letter L in my display name. "Holly" is a female name... and I'm a bearded guy who's into weightlifting. There's nothing feminine about me brother!

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 03:02:07 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Question, I just bought a pack of blue exquisites and I love them.  They fan awesome and feel really nice.  The one thing though is that they seem to not want to faro for me.  I have gotten them to do it a few times but I can't seem to do it consistently and smoothly like I can with other decks. Is there a specific way I should be trying to faro these?

From the bottom up, when face down.  The deck - like all the decks I've seen from EPCC and CARC - is traditionally cut.  With enough breaking in, they'll faro in either direction.

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »

fredv

Hello,

I always thought there was only one factory for good cards : USPCC  .. Everything new seem to come from them, or to come from companies bought by them.

But looking for the new NOC v3, I have discovered the Expert Playing Card Company and as I have never touched any of their cards I was wondering how the quality compares to existing qualities .. Is it equivalent to the Bee top quality with which finish ?

It seems there is only one quality of paper, does it compare to the Bee or the Bicycle one ?   Is the finish more aimed to magicians or flourishers ?
I’m looking forward to getting NOC v3 to test but users can probably already give their point of view ?

Thanks

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 04:16:54 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
Hello,

I always thought there was only one factory for good cards : USPCC  .. Everything new seem to come from them, or to come from companies bought by them.

But looking for the new NOC v3, I have discovered the Expert Playing Card Company and as I have never touched any of their cards I was wondering how the quality compares to existing qualities .. Is it equivalent to the Bee top quality with which finish ?

It seems there is only one quality of paper, does it compare to the Bee or the Bicycle one ?   Is the finish more aimed to magicians or flourishers ?
I’m looking forward to getting NOC v3 to test but users can probably already give their point of view ?

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that EPCC uses an imported black-core stock from Germany for their decks made in Taipei.  As far as trying to compare them to something from USPC - don't.  They really don't make anything like it.  The closest they came would be Bill Kalush's own Bee Erdnase 216 deck for CARC, but even that is a "close but no cigar".

Since the deck only came available in - what, the last twenty-four hours? - I don't think you'll be getting too many authoritative reviews yet.  But you can always look around the topics on some of the other EPCC-made decks.

Legends
Legends, v. 2
Exquisites
MD Smith Back #3
Zenith (Encarded)
Exquisite Bold (exclusive to Dan and Dave's "Art of Play" website)

I know I must be missing a few.  Were the Night Owls made by Expert?

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 10:12:45 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
Yes, Owl Eyes are EPCC.

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 03:42:54 AM »

rave

• True Member
Is Qualitybrown deck  printed by EPCC?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 04:06:47 AM by rave »

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 05:54:14 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Yes, Owl Eyes are EPCC.

According to George Hage they're printed at the same factory but it's purely coincidental. Neither Legends or EPCC had anything to do with them apparently other than CARC carrying them of course.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2014, 10:43:08 AM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
My bad.  Thanks for the info, Paul.

They definitely have that EPCC chemical smell to them.

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2014, 04:17:51 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I know the smell you're referring to but the Owl Eyed decks are actually the only ones I've noticed that smell on to be honest.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2014, 12:04:52 PM »

PrincessTrouble

• Don't Use This!
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:
I know the smell you're referring to but the Owl Eyed decks are actually the only ones I've noticed that smell on to be honest.

My Exquisites and Exquisite Bolds have that same smell, just not quite as strong as my Owl Eyes.

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 12:45:07 PM »

Expert P.C. Co.

My Exquisites and Exquisite Bolds have that same smell, just not quite as strong as my Owl Eyes.

So you might say they have an exquisite smell? Did you know that you can tell which press a deck was made on at USPCC by the smell too. The web press coating definitely smells different than the sheet fed press coating.

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 03:24:56 AM »

rjtomlinson1977

• Elite Member
Say, What? Cards smell? Maybe like beer after they've been spilled on.  ;)