You are Here:
Author (Read 17029 times)

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I understand the term reputation but I am unsure how it is affected here on this site. How does one increase their reputation or possibly increase another persons reputation?

Re: Reputation
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 02:57:08 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Basically right now, reputation is used only in restricting people from using the FS/ISO board, since Don has implemented a new rule there where you must have a positive reputation to make a thread. Reputations can be adjusted by any member of the forum, there is an increase and decrease option by each reputation. If you make good posts, generally your reputation will go up, if you spam and are annoying, it will go down.

Hope that clarifies it a bit. It is a system that has been used for various reasons in the past but right now it's only real benefits are being about to use the sales board with a positive rep.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:21:37 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Basically right now, reputation is used only in restricting people from using the FS/ISO board, since Don has implemented a new rule there where you must have a positive reputation to make a thread. Reputations can be adjusted by any member of the forum, there is an increase and decrease option by each reputation. If you make good posts, generally your reputation will go up, if you spam and are annoying, it will go down.

Hope that clarifies it a bit. It is a system that has been used for various reasons in the past but right now it's only real benefits are being about to use the sales board with a positive rep.

Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.  Basically, it meant nothing more than bragging rights, but as I was having issues with people spamming their way through the post minimum, so I decided to use it as a tool.  Over the course of ordinary posting, if no one otherwise affects your reputation, you'll reach your minimum reputation of 1 by the time you reach 25 posts.

Feel free to rate the posts of others as well - use the "Good Poster" and "Bad Poster" links under one's profile photo in their posts.  It's a way of letting people know you respect their opinion or think they're posting like a monkey banging at a typewriter.  :))  And if you spot spam, by all means, go with "Bad Poster"!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:22:29 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:38 PM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:
+1 for Curt beating Don to the punch.    :D
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 12:49:50 AM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
+1 for Curt beating Don to the punch.    :D

Haha, it's a tough thing to do.

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 01:00:55 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
Thanks for answering my question. I am slowly learning the small things to this site =D

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 11:10:34 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I should add to this that if you're merely opinionated rather than spamming and your rep gets knocked to zero or less as a result, ask me to review it and if I don't see a pattern of spamming, I'll reset your rep to 1 so you can participate in sales.  Though you should take that as a hint from your fellow members to be a better poster...  :))

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen
  • Growing old is Mandatory, Growing up is optional

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I'll be honest, I watched Reputation for a while, but it goes up and down. I don't think I spam, I try and contribute to conversations, add topics that may start conversations or maybe help another member who is new, but it doesn't really seem to matter.

I make sure to add a positive to people who answer or help me or someone else, or add content, but I don't think everyone does, it's kind of an afterthought. I would hope that it would take more than that number for the membership to realize if your trying to be a contributing member and not just some random "Drive by" poster.

I'm adding this because I don't want to see others get caught up in making that number more important than it is............mine went down 4 points in the last 8 hours, who the hell knows why  ::)

Speedy, just be active, join in the conversations, give your opinion, don't worry about that number to much.......my opinion of course.

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 11:49:56 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

I'm adding this because I don't want to see others get caught up in making that number more important than it is............mine went down 4 points in the last 8 hours, who the hell knows why  ::)

Yeah - some people just poke those buttons to see what happens...  :))

Really, aside from needing a +1 to post in the STISO, reputation is worth less than the paper it isn't printed on...  Just bragging rights.

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 02:09:08 AM »

Rob Wright

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Aficionado

• Kickstarter:

Yeah - some people just poke those buttons to see what happens...  :))

Really, aside from needing a +1 to post in the STISO, reputation is worth less than the paper it isn't printed on...  Just bragging rights.

Yea, for the most part it's about bragging rights, but if your rep is generally going up. It shows that people appreciate what you're bringing to the table. I had posted something a while back, that was maybe a little uncalled for. My rep dropped like 10 points in an hour. I got the message loud and clear-"don't be a dick"
There are a few members that have had negative reps that I think were unjust. There opinions are generally opposite of the masses, or they are brutally honest. That turns off some people I guess.
Last night I stayed up late playing poker with Tarot cards. I got a full house and four people died.

Steven Wright
http://neverforgotten.storenvy.com
Facebook- Never Forgotten Project

My Playing Card DB

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 02:05:56 AM »

speedyy400

• Elite Member
I meant to reply to this before but it totally slipped my mind. I do appreciate all the responses though. I asked generally because I wanted to know how I could get a reputation of at least one so that in a few days I could maybe post in the trading forum. I know since I do not have an amazing knowledge or education based on playing cards, I won't be winning the reputation race but I certainly am happy at the moment with my 1 reputation. As long as I can continue to read about the different decks out there, throw in my 2 cents, even when generally my comments mean less than that, I am quite content =D

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I meant to reply to this before but it totally slipped my mind. I do appreciate all the responses though. I asked generally because I wanted to know how I could get a reputation of at least one so that in a few days I could maybe post in the trading forum. I know since I do not have an amazing knowledge or education based on playing cards, I won't be winning the reputation race but I certainly am happy at the moment with my 1 reputation. As long as I can continue to read about the different decks out there, throw in my 2 cents, even when generally my comments mean less than that, I am quite content =D

It generally just increases over time. Members that were here for years have like 50+ rep.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 06:40:07 AM »

ronyo_faukx

• Elite Member
  • What does the Faukx say?

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

It generally just increases over time. Members that were here for years have like 50+ rep.

And if you're the forum's sphinx, posing questions and dropping knowledge carpet bombs, you'll get a rep of 200+.
Who wants to play '52 Card Pickup'?

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

And if you're the forum's sphinx, posing questions and dropping knowledge carpet bombs, you'll get a rep of 200+.

To be fair, I only recently crossed the 200+ threshold...

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
I forgot to mention that you cannot modify another person's reputation until you have 25 posts.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 12:55:30 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
Maybe so, but there are some itchy trigger fingers out there.

I''m sticking to Don's observation at this point

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 03:09:43 PM »

Magic_Orthodoxy

• Jack of Diamonds
  • "Simul iustus et peccator"
sadly its an abused system and there are some who use it like a 'facebook like' and if they don't AGREE with you - then they give you a disslike.

ps everyone in this thread got a +1 from me - that's how I roll
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:04:04 PM by Magic_Orthodoxy »
More Magic and Deck Reviews https://www.youtube.com/magicorthodoxy

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 04:54:36 PM »

Anthony

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Haven Citizen

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
sadly its an abused system and there are some who use it like a 'facebook like' and if they don't AGREE with you - then they give you a disslike.

Ya, I'm kind of at the ".........it is what it is" without offending anyone, I wouldn't mind seeing it go away. If it's purpose is a "Lock" for trading, there are others ways of accomplishing that, but I would have to agree with David that it's an abused system. As a reviewer like David, I could see where it's even more of an issue.

Right back at ya David ;)

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

There are some limits on how one can abuse reputation.  You can do it once then you have to wait a good while to do it again.  Only staff members can radically alter one's rep score, and I think only at the admin level.

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 10:39:09 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
At one time there was a glitch that allowed me to change someones status many times in a single day. then the glitched made it so I only could do it very rarely for the person in mention. everyone else it was normal for.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 11:40:57 PM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
At one time there was a glitch that allowed me to change someones status many times in a single day. then the glitched made it so I only could do it very rarely for the person in mention. everyone else it was normal for.

Next time you find such a glitch, would you kindly let us know?  We have a technician on staff who's our go-to guy for problems like that.

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2014, 12:29:23 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:

Next time you find such a glitch, would you kindly let us know?  We have a technician on staff who's our go-to guy for problems like that.

Yes, yes I will, this was a long while ago and I had actually forgot about it till I was reading this thread.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.