You are Here:
What does "Reputation" mean?

Author (Read 15860 times)

What does "Reputation" mean?
« on: April 08, 2017, 12:33:53 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
  • BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame
I noticed that below everyone's profile picture, it states the number of posts they've made, and below that a Reputation number.  Maybe I just missed the obvious, but I couldn't find a place on the forum where this is explained.  What does it mean? 

Is your Reputation linked to the number of posts you've made? 

For example, right now I have posted over 20 Pictorial Reviews in the Deck Reviews forum, have 29 Posts, and have a Reputation of 2.  Or is there no link between these numbers?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 12:34:41 AM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

Re: What does "Reputation" mean?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 08:53:13 AM »

Great Lakes Playing Card Co.

• True Member
  • Open to learning and growing
I have the same question Enders.  But, I'm also new to this forum so there is a lot I don't understand yet.  Excited to hear a mod or senior member way in.  If you do have more "Reputation", what does that mean on the board etc?  Happy collecting all.

Just getting started in collecting playing cards.  Any help is appreciated.  TY.

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 06:29:18 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I noticed that below everyone's profile picture, it states the number of posts they've made, and below that a Reputation number.  Maybe I just missed the obvious, but I couldn't find a place on the forum where this is explained.  What does it mean? 

Is your Reputation linked to the number of posts you've made? 

For example, right now I have posted over 20 Pictorial Reviews in the Deck Reviews forum, have 29 Posts, and have a Reputation of 2.  Or is there no link between these numbers?

This is a subject that's been covered many times over in previous topics, but I'll review it for you.

When someone likes one of your posts, they can click on a link - "Good Poster" - in your little mini-profile next to your post and it will bump your Reputation up by one.  If they don't like one of your posts, they click on "Bad Poster"  link found there and your Reputation goes down by one.

Right now, Reputation serves two functions - one tangible, the other not so much.  The tangible function is that you have to have a Reputation score of at least one before you can post in the STISO boards for trading with other board users.  (There are other prerequisites as well - please read the rules before posting!)  There are limits as to how frequently you can ding or boost any one person's reputation and I've been known to edit one's reputation if it appears to have been dropped without any real justification in order to permit someone to post in the STISO boards.

The non-tangible function is that someone with a high Reputation score would be generally considered by their peers on the forum to have a worthwhile opinion, while someone with a low score is probably new to forum and/or doesn't post a lot and someone with a negative score (or a low score after a large number of posts) has probably said a few things to tick off the other users.  In other words, it functions as a numerical value for one's actual reputation as it exists in this virtual environment much like one's own non-numerical reputation in a face-to-face community in the non-virtual, "real" world.

In that sense, it's worth about as much as the photons of light that make it glow on your screen, if you boil it down to brass tacks!  It can rise with one's popularity, fall with one's infamy or if someone (or a group of someones) decided to pull a practical joke on you, etc. - at one time, when there were no limits on how frequently one could alter another's reputation (under the previous ownership of the forum), complaining about a low reputation often triggered the more whimsical members of the community to repeatedly ding you well into the negative numbers, sometimes even as low as the triple digits!  A few members actually wore that as a badge of honor!
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 12:59:09 PM »

Great Lakes Playing Card Co.

• True Member
  • Open to learning and growing
Thanks for the insight Don.  Sorry for not searching for the info first. 
Just getting started in collecting playing cards.  Any help is appreciated.  TY.

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 10:14:54 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
Terrific, that's very helpful Don!  Much appreciated and thank you.

Before posting here I had done a search in the forums first, to try to find the answer myself, but I must have made a typo, or was searching only a sub-forum, or perhaps something else was amiss, because nothing came up.  Now when I tried I was able to find some previous threads on it quite easily, which I include here in case others were wondering the same thing and wanted to read some previous discussion and explanation about it:

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=4036
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=5441

I discovered that apparently at one time this feature was also called Karma, judging by these threads?

http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=298
http://www.playingcardforum.com/index.php?topic=6185

I'll keep making positive contributions with some more solid deck reviews in the weeks to come, and we'll see what results!  Thanks again to the friendly regulars for the warm welcome in the forums here, and for your kind assistance.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 10:15:55 AM by EndersGame »
BoardGameGeek reviewer EndersGame =>  Playing Card Reviews <=>  Magic Reviews <=> Board Game Reviews <=

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 07:44:49 PM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
There are limits as to how frequently you can ding or boost any one person's reputation.

There seems to be a technical problem right now, that prevents you from increasing a person's reputation if ever you have done so previously already.

Whenever I click "Good Poster" for a person that I have previously done so (and not the same post, obviously), I get this error message:

"An Error Has Occurred!  Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 1 hours."

There are two issues that I can see with this:
1. The term "karma action" is incorrect, since it has now been replaced with the term "reputation".
2. This error comes up even if the time is much greater than 1 hour, and even if you are assigning "Good Poster" to a different post from the same person.

Unless a change has been made, so that you can only increase a person's reputation once ever? (in which case the wording of the error message needs to be changed).  But it seems a travesty that I can only choose "Good Poster" for one of Don Boyer's many terrific posts, so surely that isn't the intent?!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:46:36 PM by EndersGame »

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 12:49:12 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
There are limits as to how frequently you can ding or boost any one person's reputation.

There seems to be a technical problem right now, that prevents you from increasing a person's reputation if ever you have done so previously already.

Whenever I click "Good Poster" for a person that I have previously done so (and not the same post, obviously), I get this error message:

"An Error Has Occurred!  Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 1 hours."

There are two issues that I can see with this:
1. The term "karma action" is incorrect, since it has now been replaced with the term "reputation".
2. This error comes up even if the time is much greater than 1 hour, and even if you are assigning "Good Poster" to a different post from the same person.

Unless a change has been made, so that you can only increase a person's reputation once ever? (in which case the wording of the error message needs to be changed).  But it seems a travesty that I can only choose "Good Poster" for one of Don Boyer's many terrific posts, so surely that isn't the intent?!

I'll pass this info on to Lee Asher - while I run the forum, I don't have the back-end tech expertise to troubleshoot software issues.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 01:53:18 AM »

EndersGame

• Frequent Flyer
I'll pass this info on to Lee Asher - while I run the forum, I don't have the back-end tech expertise to troubleshoot software issues.

I realize there are limits to dinging someone's reputation up or down, but right now it limits you to increasing a person's reputation only once ever, which I don't think is the idea.  Plus the terminology "karma" needs updating.

Thanks for passing this on Don.