You are Here:
Blue Crown Sale

Author (Read 11990 times)

Blue Crown Sale
« on: September 23, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »

10ofclubs

• Discourse Veteran
The Blue Crown just posted this on Facebook and Twitter:
"RARE DECKS: Tomorrow we will release a VERY small amount of each of these decks. Some WAY fewer than the already limited others.

ATTENTION: Summer Club Members - We HIGHLY suggest you keep an eye out on your inboxes in a few hours"

I'd post a link but I'm on my iPad and I wanted to get this out ASAP. Just wanted to let everyone know who isn't on Facebook or doesn't check it regularly.
Also, if someone has the opportunity to get a handmade Red Luxury Deck for a good price, I'll buy it back from you as I'll likely be at work all day and miss the sale.

Re: Blue Crown Sale
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
Should be receiving emails at 10pm eastern (3am for me .. I gota be up in 4 hours for work)
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 12:07:20 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
It's a sale on their rare decks.  Gold Crowns for $20, Steel-Label Luxury Crowns for $50, Snow Owls for $10, with Summer Club members getting first crack at them.  There was something else in the email but I don't have my phone on me...

Oh, now I remember - white Nautical decks are on sale as well...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 12:07:50 AM by Don Boyer »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 12:32:34 AM »

MrMollusk

• Extraordinaire
  • I like birds.

• Kickstarter:
It's a sale on their rare decks.  Gold Crowns for $20, Steel-Label Luxury Crowns for $50, Snow Owls for $10, with Summer Club members getting first crack at them.  There was something else in the email but I don't have my phone on me...

Oh, now I remember - white Nautical decks are on sale as well...

Any idea if they'll be selling the standard Luxury editions?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 12:55:25 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Any idea if they'll be selling the standard Luxury editions?

Nope.  No regular Luxuries, at least not now.  Just the steel-plated ones.

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 02:54:20 AM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
Nothing on that list is really a "must have" for me. At least nothing real special seeing as how they're not selling any decks I'm interested in.
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 06:00:50 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

so after people spent $$$ for bricks to get RARE & LIMITED decks now Alex sales them with this prices ??? worst moves ever to me

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 06:50:29 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
so after people spent $$$ for bricks to get RARE & LIMITED decks now Alex sales them with this prices ??? worst moves ever to me

Don't you realize that they ALWAYS eventually release those rare decks?  They've done this before with other decks - were you sleeping?  They never said the white Nautical deck would NEVER be released again - just that they were giving one away with the purchase of a brick of the red and blue.  They can't help it if you're not patient.

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 07:46:52 AM »

crazyfandecks

• Elite Member

• Facebook:

so that's why I've never ordered decks of TBC or HOPC neither  :t11:, so sicked with the way Alex sales stuffs  :bosswalk:

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 08:10:45 AM »

Nurul

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
so that's why I've never ordered decks of TBC or HOPC neither  :t11:, so sicked with the way Alex sales stuffs  :bosswalk:

You mean you're sick and tired of him being a business man? Wow .. Don't know what all the fuss is about, even if you did buy a brick to get the white nauticals, you got 12 pretty neat decks and a free one top of that .. If you just wanted the white nauticals, then you should've waited
SHOGUN Playing Cards coming soon to Kickstarter
snapchat: nurul.alam
https://www.instagram.com/ti.walker/ for updates on the project :)

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 09:09:27 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You mean you're sick and tired of him being a business man? Wow .. Don't know what all the fuss is about, even if you did buy a brick to get the white nauticals, you got 12 pretty neat decks and a free one top of that .. If you just wanted the white nauticals, then you should've waited

Give a guy a freebie and he finds a way to bitch about it...nice...  :))

Too many people have this mentality that the freebie is so important, it's worth any price to get it, even if they spend more than they really wanted to.  No one twisted anyone's arm to make you buy all those cards to get that one deck, and you should know by now that this is what TBC does with all of their rare decks - they've always made them available for sale at one point or another.

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
During recent inventory checks after relocating our warehouse we discovered a very small supply of some of our most rare and sought-after decks! We can think of no better way to close out the Summer than to offer these decks to our fans!

I found that quote on the sale link and thought it was pretty funny =p. Hmm where have i seen that before..? Ellus-
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 10:46:24 AM »

BiggerDee

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Deity
Well, I picked up some additional quantites of decks that I didn't pay full price for in the first place (and there's also an additional discount off of the prices shown above), so at least one person is happy with the sale.

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I do feel a little for TBC, they put decks as freebies and there's someone not happy, then they make them available outright to buy and again some aren't happy. They seem to get it on Facebook more than t11, Ellusionist, D&D - or maybe that's just me.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 02:52:38 PM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:
I do feel a little for TBC, they put decks as freebies and there's someone not happy, then they make them available outright to buy and again some aren't happy. They seem to get it on Facebook more than t11, Ellusionist, D&D - or maybe that's just me.

Hey Paul,

It's not just you. I notice that every time TBC has a launch! I've been working with Kevin and Alex for almost two years now and don't get why people on Facebook, and the Forums, give them such a hard time with releases that include FREE Decks as a REWARD for their high-level customers.

thanks, Randy

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2013, 11:09:18 PM »

Michael

• Discourse Royalty
  • Ugh, I wish I had money for THAT deck!
I mean as maybe unwilling someone was to buy a brick just to get that one free deck they thought would never be released any other way, they ended up purchasing a brick anyway. If you're willing to pay for a brick, why complain?
"The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled."

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 01:30:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:
I mean as maybe unwilling someone was to buy a brick just to get that one free deck they thought would never be released any other way, they ended up purchasing a brick anyway. If you're willing to pay for a brick, why complain?

They complain because they're applying "cereal box logic".  A kid sees a cereal ad on TV that shows a really cool-looking free toy surprise inside, a limited-time offer.  He really wants that toy - he'll buy a box of the most boring cereal imaginable just to get that prize.  He completely forgets that the money paid was for the cereal - to him, it was paid for the prize and just the prize, because that's all he wanted out of the transaction.  If he could, he'd rather buy the cereal, get the toy, then sell the cereal minus the toy in order to get the toy for free - but there's isn't a huge market for open cereal boxes with no toy inside, especially when all the other kids out there are trying to sell theirs as well...  Meanwhile, the entire purpose of the toy was to entice you to buy the cereal - but you're supposed to eat the cereal, since that's the point of buying cereal in the first place.

Here's a kid who paid for the cereal, got the toy, and now the cereal company is selling the toys separately - he doesn't see it as the freebie he got for the box of cereal he bought, he sees it as the toy that cost an entire box of cereal to get.  He also failed to take into account that this cereal company always sells their toys eventually.  This also ends up pissing off those kids who bought many, many boxes of cereal, just so they could sell the toys as rare, precious artifacts - no cereal necessary, just get the toy!  Now that the company is selling the toys, they're not worth even close to the cost of the box of cereal it cost these speculators to get each toy, so they're stuck not just with all the cereal, but any toys they couldn't sell off before the company got into the act and started selling them for less.

The whole time, none of those kids are seeing the toys for what they are.  At first, they were free giveaways to thank them for buying the cereal in the first place.  Then, for those kids who really liked the toy but couldn't afford to buy a whole box of cereal, they try to make them happy by offering to sell them the toy for less than the cost of the cereal - but more than the cost of the original toy, which was in essence free.

And that is why there are many little boys out there pouting and saying bad things about mean old Blue Crown, the company that gave decks of cards away for free with the purchase of a brick of other cards, then offered to sell them separately for those little boys who couldn't afford to buy a whole brick of anything.  :))

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 01:53:52 AM »

RandyButterfield

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Royalty

• Twitter:

Very well said Don!!

Your cereal prize metaphor actually reminded me of saving Star Wars UPC codes as a kid, and redeem them for mail-order exclusive figures - Boba Fett, the Emperor.... My brothers and I definitely enjoyed playing with the other figures or vehicles we purchased to earn the mail-order figures. When we finally got the exclusive figures, we didn't care what they were worth or what we spent to get them, we enjoyed the new badass toy! We didn't care about getting a return for our investment or run to eBay to check the value, not that eBay even existed back then!

I have a pretty decent collection of Decks built up over the past couple years and could care less about the value of any Deck I own - because I don't plan on ever selling any. I buy Decks based on designs I like, not the potential value on eBay.

Thanks, Randy

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2013, 02:46:57 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

Very well said Don!!

Your cereal prize metaphor actually reminded me of saving Star Wars UPC codes as a kid, and redeem them for mail-order exclusive figures - Boba Fett, the Emperor.... My brothers and I definitely enjoyed playing with the other figures or vehicles we purchased to earn the mail-order figures. When we finally got the exclusive figures, we didn't care what they were worth or what we spent to get them, we enjoyed the new badass toy! We didn't care about getting a return for our investment or run to eBay to check the value, not that eBay even existed back then!

I have a pretty decent collection of Decks built up over the past couple years and could care less about the value of any Deck I own - because I don't plan on ever selling any. I buy Decks based on designs I like, not the potential value on eBay.

Thanks, Randy

I remember the Boba Fett figure - but I don't remember the Emperor.  Then again, it wasn't long after "Return of the Jedi" came out that my interest in the films waned along with the interest of quite a lot of other people, laying dormant until the release of the Timothy Zahn "Thrawn" trilogy and Dark Horse Comics' "Dark Empire" mini-series about a decade later.  I prided myself on having all the figures up to that point, then ended up giving them to my youngest brother, some of which he flushed down the toilet. I still have one Rebel Scout that I keep in my car, though!  I was getting older - when "Jedi" came out, I had my first serious girlfriend and was more interested in sex and drinking than action figures and science fiction (except perhaps cyberpunk).

Ah, memories...

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2013, 05:22:36 AM »

Paul.Middleton

• Discourse Veteran
  • Owner of JP Playing Cards

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
The only thing I would say, is although they clearly stated that they'd release the white nautical later down the line. I think most assumed it would be much later down the line.
~Paul Middleton,
JP Playing Cards
---------------------
FREE WORLDWIDE DELIVERY (UK over £30, EU over £70 and Rest Of World over £80)

www.jpplayingcards.co.uk

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2013, 07:58:26 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

They complain because they're applying "cereal box logic".  A kid sees a cereal ad on TV that shows a really cool-looking free toy surprise inside, a limited-time offer.  He really wants that toy - he'll buy a box of the most boring cereal imaginable just to get that prize.  He completely forgets that the money paid was for the cereal - to him, it was paid for the prize and just the prize, because that's all he wanted out of the transaction.  If he could, he'd rather buy the cereal, get the toy, then sell the cereal minus the toy in order to get the toy for free - but there's isn't a huge market for open cereal boxes with no toy inside, especially when all the other kids out there are trying to sell theirs as well...  Meanwhile, the entire purpose of the toy was to entice you to buy the cereal - but you're supposed to eat the cereal, since that's the point of buying cereal in the first place.

Here's a kid who paid for the cereal, got the toy, and now the cereal company is selling the toys separately - he doesn't see it as the freebie he got for the box of cereal he bought, he sees it as the toy that cost an entire box of cereal to get.  He also failed to take into account that this cereal company always sells their toys eventually.  This also ends up pissing off those kids who bought many, many boxes of cereal, just so they could sell the toys as rare, precious artifacts - no cereal necessary, just get the toy!  Now that the company is selling the toys, they're not worth even close to the cost of the box of cereal it cost these speculators to get each toy, so they're stuck not just with all the cereal, but any toys they couldn't sell off before the company got into the act and started selling them for less.

The whole time, none of those kids are seeing the toys for what they are.  At first, they were free giveaways to thank them for buying the cereal in the first place.  Then, for those kids who really liked the toy but couldn't afford to buy a whole box of cereal, they try to make them happy by offering to sell them the toy for less than the cost of the cereal - but more than the cost of the original toy, which was in essence free.

And that is why there are many little boys out there pouting and saying bad things about mean old Blue Crown, the company that gave decks of cards away for free with the purchase of a brick of other cards, then offered to sell them separately for those little boys who couldn't afford to buy a whole brick of anything.  :))

The problem with your example is that the cereal company is not asking you to buy 12 boxes of cereal to get the free limited toy and then weeks later sell the toy on its own for less money then those who had to buy 12 boxes of cereal.

As a customer, would you ever want to buy that cereal again? Especaily since you made the point that the only reason they are buying the "boring" cereal was for the free toy anyway.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:05:29 AM by Anonymous »

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2013, 08:12:40 AM »

kdklown

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Veteran

• Twitter:

The problem with your example is that the cereal company is not asking you to buy 12 boxes of cereal to get the free limited toy and then weeks later sell the toy on its own for less money then those who had to buy 12 boxes of cereal.

As a customer, would you ever want to buy that cereal again? Especaily since you made the point that the only reason they are buying the "boring" cereal was for the free toy anyway.

Sure, because the cereal company made it clear to me that they would be selling the deck in the future. It's on me if I got jumpy.  I read the description of the deck and didn't bite on the brick for this reason.  Then I bought the whites on Monday night for $10.  I don't understand the venom (BTW they are way more pissed on UC than over here so far) BC fully disclosed that they would be made available in the future.  And anyone that bought a brick did get a free deck of whites as promised. 

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2013, 08:37:18 AM »

Card Player

• Extraordinaire

Sure, because the cereal company made it clear to me that they would be selling the deck in the future. It's on me if I got jumpy.  I read the description of the deck and didn't bite on the brick for this reason.  Then I bought the whites on Monday night for $10.  I don't understand the venom (BTW they are way more pissed on UC than over here so far) BC fully disclosed that they would be made available in the future.  And anyone that bought a brick did get a free deck of whites as promised.

Where is the company loyalty to those customers that are buying most of their product. Its like screwing those you should have the most loyalty toward.  Thats bad business. 
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 08:41:20 AM by Anonymous »

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »

Fred

• Discourse Lover
  • Dis legit binnis
So what did everyone pick up? I got myself a blue luxury and 2 white nauticals.
Alex, stop fucking with my name you phegget. xx

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »

Don Boyer

• Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel

• Facebook:

You're absolutely right in that the company isn't asking you to buy a dozen boxes of cereal - because one box of cereal represents a brick of cards, not a whole case of cereal boxes.  Y'see, when comparing the cost of a brick of cards and a single pack, it's much close to the comparison between a single box of cereal and a little toy surprise.  And you get one prize (rare deck) per box (brick), not one per dozen boxes (gross).

And they aren't asking you to buy the cereal just to get the toy.  They're asking you to buy it because they sell cereal, and you and others like you eat it for breakfast.  The toy is your free reward for buying a whole box of cereal.  Most people eat (use/collect) the cereal (brick of decks) and get benefit from it that way, rather than thinking of it as a worthless but necessary evil in order to get that prize (special deck).  And the cereal isn't necessarily boring - I simply said that in the mind of the kid, he'd buy the most boring cereal out there (a brick of standard branded decks sold everywhere - Bicycle, Bee, etc.) if it meant getting the prize (special deck).  But you and I both know that you rarely find a prize in a "boring" box of Wheat Thingies, while there's always one in an exciting, action-packed box of ChOcOLaTe-FrOsTeD SuGaR BoMbS!!!  Just thinking about the cereal box makes your blood glucose level skyrocket...

Where is the company loyalty to those customers that are buying most of their product. Its like screwing those you should have the most loyalty toward.  Thats bad business.

In what world is giving you something free known as "getting screwed over"?  'Cause if it's this world, I'd like to get screwed over way more often!

Your entire argument is completely invalidated because the "cereal company" made it clear that the "toy" would be available for purchase at a future time.  The only people getting screwed over are the ones that are too impatient to read the entire offer OR to wait for the deck to go on sale.  I.  WANT.  IT.  NOW!  Because THIS.  IS.  COLLECTING!!!

So what did everyone pick up? I got myself a blue luxury and 2 white nauticals.

I didn't buy anything.  I already received two white Nauticals as a gift.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 09:13:23 AM by Don Boyer »