You are Here:
NEW DECK - Bicycle Red, White, & Blue (Series 4)

Author (Read 3477 times)

NEW DECK - Bicycle Red, White, & Blue (Series 4)
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:35:14 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Yet another deck from Merz67 in this Series...  when will it end?

CBJ

I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

Re: NEW DECK - Bicycle Red, White, & Blue (Series 4)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 08:55:35 AM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Series 1 = Cool
Series 2&3 = Annoying
Series 4 = Terrible
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 10:52:51 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I think they are all terrible.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 01:31:47 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i might buy it for the money monte gimmick and i love USA and since i cant visit there maybe just have a deck of it

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 01:41:32 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Series 1 = Cool
Series 2&3 = Annoying
Series 4 = Terrible

Exactly. I was looking to buy a Series 1 deck (I never did in the end), and I was pretty excited about the next ones coming out. But as soon as I saw them, I was kinda disappointed.
"What have future generations ever done for us?" - Groucho Marx

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 12:45:37 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i just think that the back design look very cool .. dun you guys think so

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 01:02:19 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
i just think that the back design look very cool .. dun you guys think so

Not as cool as literally any rider back that WASN'T recoloured by Merz.  His work devalues the cards; these are worth about a dollar per deck.  Seriously; save your money and get a different deck.  Most of them are made in America, anyway.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 03:16:33 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
Oh.  My.  God.

Someone please stop this man, Merz67, before my eyes start to bleed.

I've never truly designed a thing in my life, and I could design a better deck that this.  Blind-folded, even.  So could a roomful of monkeys flinging poop at each other.  It's the most insanely unimaginative Bicycle deck I've ever had the misfortune to set eyes upon.  Merz67 takes a dash of Microsoft Word clip art, some goofball color tweaks, and that's it, he's made a deck?  Perhaps, but not one worth buying, and not one worth my hard-earned bucks.  How often do you ever even see a Merz67 deck outside of his own website and eBay store?  Almost never, because they suck rotten eggs.

I knew when I got a look at the Tie-Dye deck there was a reason why I never thought it was worth buying.  And that's at least as "original" as his most recent works, if not more so.

@hawjinjian - there are a stupendous amount of better decks depicting America, the colors of the flag, etc. then the steaming pile that is the Red, White and Blue series.  Don't throw your money away on this when there's so many superior designs around.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 05:04:48 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
haha ok thank for telling

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 05:31:44 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
i found somthing that will make you all real angry
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Rare-Bicycle-Red-White-Blue-Deck-Series-5-Playing-Cards-Magic-Circle-Design-/190608802658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c612b8362 series 5 has come out .. come on guy it time to get angry !!

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 08:00:10 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
i found somthing that will make you all real angry
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/Rare-Bicycle-Red-White-Blue-Deck-Series-5-Playing-Cards-Magic-Circle-Design-/190608802658?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c612b8362 series 5 has come out .. come on guy it time to get angry !!

We don't have to be angry. Let him do what he wants. Just don't buy decks from him and don't hype the decks.
Nothing changes even if we angry.

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 11:28:41 AM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
I'm not sure about this and maybe someone who has dealt with USPCC can answer this(Alex). I don't think Merz is shelling out the money for a full run of any of his new decks. I think he is using the Bicycle personalized cards (the ones you get in the add card in most regular bike decks 3-100 decks for $19.99 deck or something like that.) Then list it on ebay for $30-40 dollars a deck. All he has to do is get 10 decks of each printed. He could sell those easily on ebay. I'm wondering why no one else has thought of this (not that I condone this).

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 11:33:07 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I'm not sure about this and maybe someone who has dealt with USPCC can answer this(Alex). I don't think Merz is shelling out the money for a full run of any of his new decks. I think he is using the Bicycle personalized cards (the ones you get in the add card in most regular bike decks 3-100 decks for $19.99 deck or something like that.) Then list it on ebay for $30-40 dollars a deck. All he has to do is get 10 decks of each printed. He could sell those easily on ebay. I'm wondering why no one else has thought of this (not that I condone this).

Those custom decks do not come with custom tuck boxes.
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 01:25:08 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
So, someone in the USPCC is letting him print 10 decks?  There's no way he's printing 5000 of these each; that would mean he's printed like 60k cards in the past year, with many (slightly) different designs.  He's doing runs of 10 on these.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
USPCC must have different policies for different people. I thought the current minimum for custom printing was 5000 decks.  I can't believe Merz would print 5000 decks each of these designs. The only other explaination I can think of is USPCC means a limit of 5000 decks in total not 5000 decks of 1 design.  In other words maybe he could order 500 decks of 10 different designs.  Either that or he knows someone at the company ;)

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 02:39:25 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
The only other explaination I can think of is USPCC means a limit of 5000 decks in total not 5000 decks of 1 design.  In other words maybe he could order 500 decks of 10 different designs.

Huh. I'd never thought of it like that. I think it'd be unlikely, but it's definitely a possibility. If so, how come no one else has taken advantage of it?

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2011, 02:45:22 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
I'm assuming he knows someone at the company.  Also I've been thinking about this recently, We've seen a few releases recently that have been hyped as under 5000 produced. The most recent I can think of is the Bicycle Apollo. The only thing I could think of was they were splitting the production runs.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2011, 02:49:08 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
There's also the possibility that he might have connections at USPCC, or might be a past employee

He does live in Cincinnati, Ohio

as you can tell by his auctions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190608802658&category=19085&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
what if...hypothetically...he does have connections at USPCC. Maybe they cut him some kind of deal to test market these decks before bicycle does a million print run on them.  I mean none of these decks are revolutionary in design.  In fact they look like something someone threw together to do a test run.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:56:06 PM by munro159 »

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2011, 03:04:13 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
what if...hypothetically...he does have connections at USPCC. Maybe they cut him some kind of deal to test market these decks before bicycle does a million print run on them.  I mean none of these decks are revolutionary in design.  In fact they look like something someone threw together to do a test run.

They do look just like that! And it's possible, but I doubt it. This has never happened before, and why would they test the decks through him? But hey, it could be happening.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
Nah, these aren't test decks; they're clipart and recolours he's made himself and he only usually sells... well, none but he usually only puts 10 up for sale.  I highly doubt he has thousands, hundreds or even a single 1 more deck of anything he's 'designed' than what he has for sale i.e., someone is letting him do 10 deck runs.

I just noticed; the jokers on series 5; one depicts the New York skyline with the twin towers clearly visible and the other is a commercial airliner.  Seriously, that's messed up.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:13:47 PM by Kanped »

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 03:18:47 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
I was just brainstorming to make some kind of sense out of this.  I agree with you he is getting some kind of deal with USPCC. I was thinking bicycle was letting him throw these clipart decks together to sell on ebay so they could get some free marketing strategy.  Ex. Americana decks sell...Zebra decks don't (I don't know if either deck sold just making an example).  Obviously someone at USPCC is paying attention to the cardistry community and what sells. Its not coincidence that Bicycle is coming out with a steampunk deck.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 03:19:39 PM by munro159 »

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
I think you guys are getting a little carried away with the conspiracy theory. lol

I would imagine it's smaller runs.

There are a billion different possibilities.

The one I believe is this...

He has connections/history at USPCC.  He approached them about making 12 different decks (he's released 10 already NOT INCLUDING the Tie Dye).  I would say 500-1000 of each at a premium price... instead of the $2.50-4 out the door price, maybe he pays $8-10.  That's my theory.

either way, it's too many deck at those prices.

I would purchase these decks if they were 5 bucks each.

Oh well, there are lots of other decks I can purchase with my money

CBJ

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2011, 04:17:24 PM »

munro159

• Discourse Lover
I know...I know...sorry about the theories. Just trying to pass the time at work. Well that and been watching way to much "Decoded" on the history channel! ;D

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »

Lushbob

• Discourse Royalty

• DeviantArt:

• Facebook:

• Tumblr:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
That sounds pretty reasonable, actually. But yeah, no way do I think they're worth it at all. I'd only buy them if they were $5, and even then I'd be hesitant.