You are Here:

Poll

When it comes to cards I collect, I prefer:

Rare - I want cards that are hard to find and might cost a premium
16 (64%)
Common - I want cards I can get anytime, for a low price
9 (36%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Rare or Common? Your preference in a Poll.

Author (Read 2730 times)

Rare or Common? Your preference in a Poll.
« on: November 30, 2011, 02:12:25 PM »

Paul Carpenter

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Extraordinaire
  • Encarded makes custom playing cards.

• Facebook:

• Kickstarter:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
So I'm curious about people's general attitude about this, as I start to think about production numbers for my deck. It seems that "rarity" as a topic has very different attitudes amongst collectors. I see comments both for and against rarity all the time.

For example, we say:
"OMG, this deck will only have 1100 total forever! That's awesome!"
"It totally sucks that there are only 1100 of those and they are so expensive I can't ever get one"

and then we also hear:
"This deck is unlimited and I can get it anytime! Awesome!"
"That deck will never be worth anything because they are going to keep making it."

So what do you like, if you have to pick one? Would you rather a deck be limited, but perhaps cost more once the resellers get their hands on them? Or should there be abundant supply so that you get one anytime?
Paul Carpenter
Designer - http://encarded.com

Tendril Ascendant & Nightfall  /  Standards /  Chancellor, Zenith, Deco, Aurum, Tendril: Sold Out

Re: Rare or Common? Your preference in a Poll.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 02:24:18 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I prefer rare decks because a good collection contains things that are rare and hard to find. For example I could have a hundred Rider Nacks, but that is no where bar as impressive as a deck of Jerry's.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
I'm a collector, so obtaining and collecting rare decks certainly has its allure, but all in all, I'm a performer first.  I'm terrified that I will find a deck that I want to perform with on a daily basis, but it's gonna cost me $50 per deck.  At the end of the day, the ability to buy a brick of cards for less than $100 USD is what I really want.  If I like a deck of cards, I want to be able to do tricks like burning cards, or ripping them without the concern that I will be ruining the only deck I'll ever own of it.

It would be like owning rare flash paper.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 02:50:48 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Im a collector too. I have non rare decks in my collection but my favorites are the rare decks. I love being one of those few people to own the deck  ;D

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
If the design is great and the cards would fit my performance style (uhh i remember the days when smoke and mirrors 3 were widely aviable for a few bugs) then i would be happy to get them on demand.
Every gig i perform i go through 2-3 decks because i love leaving the spectator with a signed card as a memorable item of the experience they had.
It just lasts longer for them and they can show it around as a souvenir.

In example on Halloween i performed with the Karnival Dead Eyes and people loved them!
They fitted the theme and my bizarre performances.

For regular paid gigs i used to perform with Bicycle Rider Backs,Tally Ho´s,D&D V3´s,Split Spades Lions and Arcane´s.
Depending on the gig and the people i perform for  : in example cocktail parties a elegant designed deck of cards fits better.
The Infinity deck might be one of those decks that would fit into such situations as well.
For normal bar´s or nightclubs a deck of bikes or hoes is enough.

Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:39:31 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
Well there is always something special about having something rare, that being decks in this case. I don't think limiting the supply of all decks  is a good idea.

The perfect medium for me would be a unique deck that has a large run but isn't constantly reprinted like the standard bikes. Often times a unique deck is better than any rare deck because its look and feel are what make it special. Also with that unique deck you can use it and then get more if you trash one.

And in some cases it can simply depend on the deck. I'm interested to hear what others think about this.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 03:48:36 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
I like rare decks and common deck, but I don't complain if I can't get a rare deck.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
The rarity doesn't really concern me unless I'm getting it cheap and I know there aren't too many of them (although I end up regretting it a lot of the time I do that), in which case I can think of it as an investment.

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 07:05:19 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
Exclusively rare decks, or common decks if they are absolutely awesome.

Everyone has their collecting style, I prefer having a less decks, but more value.
Forum Founder.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:09:39 PM »

KPopFever605

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:
I for one love the fact of "unlimited" cards, there's no rush, so I don't have to wake up at like 3 just to get some
"The word impossible is reserved for those without an imagination." - Arvind

http://www.youtube.com/user/KPopFever605

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »

Curt

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:

In my opinion, rarity is what makes collecting exciting and fun to do. Many types of collections have some form of rarity, whether is be as simple/cheap as a foil/shiny Pokemon card or as expensive as a vintage car that had a limited run. Having rarity helps differentiate decks from each other and make some more special than others and I think that if every deck had an "unlimited" run, I would not be nearly as interested in collecting them. If anyone could purchase a deck at anytime, the people with the "best" and "coolest" collections would simply be the ones who were willing to shell out the most money for them. Granted this still is somewhat the case, but because smaller run decks are printed and sold it allows the lucky owners to have something "special", something that not everyone else can get and they did not spend huge amounts of $$ for it. For example, I own 3 of the pre-release monarch decks and I feel good about the fact that I happen to be one of the hundred or so people in the world to own them. Would I have spent $150-$200 to buy them from a reseller? Probably not because I know my limits, but it does feel nice to own something sought after by other.

I did not feel like writing my opinion out entirely again, or rewriting it in a different way. But as I said, since I am a collector mainly, rarity is what appeals to me when it comes to having a collection and I enjoy the "treasure hunt" to find vintage/limited run decks.

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 02:43:16 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I think the design of the deck is the main thing.
But I also like to collect rare decks, but just 1 or 2 each is enough.
And I always use unlimited decks for magic and flourish.

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 03:47:06 AM »

MrLukeCarroll

• Discourse Veteran

• Facebook:
Really depends what your using them for,

Magic it would have to be the unlimited cards, however for collecting nothings better then some nice rare, valuable cards :)
Mystery is the basic appeal of magic. Once the secrets are known, the magician becomes a mere manipulator, an actor in a suspense drama which has little impact because the audience knows the ending in advance.

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I couldn't vote in the poll, because my answer to the question simply isn't there - my answer is BOTH.

Common decks that look cool are great.
Cool common decks that come in a wide variety are awesome.
Limited run decks often have some of the best quality and design work.

But I always follow a few rules of thumb when I buy decks.

First: do I REALLY want this in my collection?  Is it that cool or unique?  If it's just a minor tweak on basic Bicycles, then unless there's something else cool about them, I won't bother.  If it's a common deck but a hard-to-find variant, like Tally-Ho in Bridge-Sized or Miniatures, my interest perks up a bit.

Second: do I have the money to buy this deck?  This should really be first, but hey, I'm human...

Third: just how expensive is it?  Is it worth the cost?  A deck at $20 a pack gives me pause.  A deck at $30 a pack likely won't end up in my collection unless I can trade for it.  (This is the biggest reason I like getting something rare like Black Crowns or Gold Arcanes free or at original retail - they make great bargaining chips!)

Fourth:  if I'm hung up on any of the previous rules, I take a deep breath and remember this very important maxim: "I WILL NOT OWN EVERY SINGLE RARE DECK, NOR EVERY SINGLE COMMON DECK, THAT I WOULD LIKE TO OWN!"  If I did, my girlfriend would kick me out, and she's worth more than any deck/brick/gross/entire print run of playing cards.  Housing such a collection would be ridiculous as well - having that many cards doesn't give you a chance to appreciate what you have.

So, I'm a collector, I'm a magician/performer, and I play cards - mostly solitaire, but other games when I can talk my GF and her son into it.  I like actually using my cards as well as looking at them.  A sealed box is worth more, but not quite as enjoyable for me.  Even if I possess only one of a deck, I open it and use it - I treat it gently, but I do use it.  What the point of all that premium quality and design if it never leaves the box or ends up in my hands and on the game table?

As much as I like performing with cool-looking decks that no one's likely to have seen before, I usually keep it simple and get something cheap when I'm performing at a bar (a dirty bar + rare cards = paper recycling) or at the hospital (messy kids eating greasy food their parents brought in to replace the hospital diet = a dirty bar, see previous formula).

I'm going to bust out my new LTD and Green Artifice decks and play some solitaire after I'm off the board!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 11:20:20 AM by Good@Sabacc »
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 03:13:59 PM »

xZEROx

• Frequent Flyer
i'm gonna agree with curt on this one. rarity is probably the reason why i'm still collecting cards. it's the thrilling sensation you get when you have the rare decks in your hands, when only a few others have ever put their hands on the same deck.

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2011, 05:56:13 AM »

Deboziology

• Forum Regular
  • Folie à deux.
Definetly common, I won't want to have a super rare deck of cards which I can't bear to use and can only stare at it forever. That would suck:P But sadly most of the nicer decks are usually rare D: However, if your collecting then defintely rare decks of cards are the thing, but I don't consider myself a collecter yet:D
Check out my channel!: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanDebozioSong?feature=mhee

A madness shared by 52.

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
For me i chose the rare option .. i just need a shadow master and ghost deck for fanning and a aladdin smooth finish for pratice my flourshing ..if a jerry's nugget cost 300 dollars and for the $300 you can buy like 100 regular playing cards but what is the use for having 100 deck you wont be using all of them and you just need 1 deck and when they are crumping up just use fanning powder and problem solve. that just how i think

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 11:16:14 PM »

vmagic

And what's the use of spending $300 on a deck if it is just going to sit there collecting dust and you can't open it to look at them? Personally I don't like the limited rare cards because they end up selling in minutes leaving most people with nothing to show for their efforts and what's worse, forcing all of us who came out empty handed to go buy from those greedy resellers on Ebay!

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2011, 11:24:26 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
And what's the use of spending $300 on a deck if it is just going to sit there collecting dust and you can't open it to look at them? Personally I don't like the limited rare cards because they end up selling in minutes leaving most people with nothing to show for their efforts and what's worse, forcing all of us who came out empty handed to go buy from those greedy resellers on Ebay!

I buy a lot of decks, but not to resell, but to use. For example, I only bought a few Jaqk decks, and used almost a lot  of them. Since I regret not buying more, I try to buy a lot of the limited decks since I will never have another chance to get them again.

I just recently bought 14 Black Crowns, and I plan to use them all within the next few years. I will only sell them if I am pressed for money and need to fund my collection, but that most likely won't happen any time soon.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »

Jin Jian

• Haven Citizen
But there no use using the money for the jerry's nugget to buy 100decks .. If deck are more rare i will treasure it more and wont let it spoil

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 02:37:17 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
But there no use using the money for the jerry's nugget to buy 100decks .. If deck are more rare i will treasure it more and wont let it spoil

If a deck is so rare that I couldn't bear to use it, having a photo of it would be just as exciting and a lot less expensive!  I have open decks of Gold Arcane, Black Ghost 1st Edition, Red Artifice, Limited, Broken Spell, brown Wynn's...and those last two are one-of-a-kind in my personal collection; I don't have a spare deck.

I don't care if they're worth some insane sum.  If I didn't PAY an insane sum to get them, then great, I'll use them.  I'm not ever planning to pay an insane sum to obtain any deck.  Trade for it, perhaps, but not buy it.  And I'm only going to get a deck that I want to use.  I don't see the point otherwise; I'm not using them as an investment, and I gave up that kind of collecting urge a few years ago.

I used to have a HUGE collection of Star Wars memorabilia, lots of Magic: the Gathering cards, comic books, manga, anime, etc.  When I got divorced, I moved from a two-apartment home with a total of nine rooms not counting bathrooms plus a basement to a one-bedroom apartment, and I didn't have the cash for some big self-storage space.  I gave away 90% of the collection items to my nephew, and it actually felt GOOD to do so.  I was relieving myself of the burden of owning so much stuff and wanting to complete all my collections.  I don't care that he traded most of it away for some pocket cash - it's no longer mine, he was free to do with it as he saw fit.

I don't want any collection of any kind to so utterly consume my life.  If my card collection starts to grow more than, say, a bookcase can hold, I'd probably start selling parts of it off.  I'd hope I'd actually be using up decks and getting enjoyment out of them rather than sell them, but I also don't want to own so much crap anymore, even if it is valuable crap.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »

sinsandman

• Extraordinaire
  • Sinister
Rare and limited are my poison. I am a collector, so the only non limited decks I get I have to like a lot. Monarchs and Infinity I keep in stock.
Magical as Sin!