You are Here:
What's the use??

Author (Read 4850 times)

What's the use??
« on: November 29, 2011, 06:33:56 PM »

awesomeness12

• Forum Regular
Hey guys. If any of you have any ellusionist,theory11,Dan and dave decks,you'll know they typically come with a blank face or double back gaff card. I realize how you could use a blank face,but what about double backers? I'm not complaining or anything like that. I love those little extra things! So what are your thoughts? Any ideas of what you could do with a double backer? Also,please take a look at my signature. Pm me if you have any of those decks.  ;)
Most Recently Added: Variety Box v4
Decks I'm looking for: Black Crowns, Smoke and Mirrors v5, Centurions, Sentinels.

Re: What's the use??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
I put the double backer on the bottom of the deck, tell the spectator to pick a card, and wile they are looking at their card, I turn the deck upside down, they slip their card in, then with misdirection I turn the deck over again, shuffle the cards, wave my hand, snap, spread the cards, and their card is the onle card upside down. Not great, but the kids I babysit love it.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
^ That can be accomplished with any card though. All you have to do is a simple sleight to make the bottom card upside down (all in front of their eyes, so they suspect nothing). Then flip the deck while they focus on remembering their card, and flip it once again while you tell them to visualize their card and have them look at your empty hand while you flip again, and turn the bottom card right side up.

Forum Founder.

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
^ That can be accomplished with any card though. All you have to do is a simple sleight to make the bottom card upside down (all in front of their eyes, so they suspect nothing). Then flip the deck while they focus on remembering their card, and flip it once again while you tell them to visualize their card and have them look at your empty hand while you flip again, and turn the bottom card right side up.

I know it can, but this way I can spread the cards out without needing to turn that bottom card over, after I  hand them the deck and have them shuffle it.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 07:53:36 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
It's good for a trick, I think it's called 'Elevator'. You leave the double backer in second position and force a card with a slip-cut, then they place 'their' card face up on top of the deck (on top of the double backer).  Then you double lift and flip it over, take the double backer off the top and lose it in the deck.  Flip the top card over and wow, their card is still on top.  It's not a bad trick.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 07:54:05 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I put the double backer on the bottom of the deck, tell the spectator to pick a card, and wile they are looking at their card, I turn the deck upside down, they slip their card in, then with misdirection I turn the deck over again, shuffle the cards, wave my hand, snap, spread the cards, and their card is the onle card upside down. Not great, but the kids I babysit love it.
Thats the exact same thing I do. Not only do kids love it but everyone does! Its simple and super easy to do! And there will be no more thinking of "What the heck do I do with this card?"

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 07:56:51 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I got confused can you do a video?
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 08:06:33 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I got confused can you do a video?

Maybe later. If I do, I won't reveal it, but since you know what's supposed to happen, it will be easy to tell.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
You beat me to it!, I've been thinking about a post for this subject for about a week.... I'd like to see what people prefer! I personally prefer a blank face card to a double backer.

Be interesting to find out what people think...
I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 09:05:04 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I prefer double backers.
But I'm always happy when I get both. (like V6)

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
I prefer double backers.
v6 doesn't come with a double backer.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
I prefer double backers.
v6 doesn't come with a double backer.
True. I forgot. I get mixed up with all these decks.
I like that V6 has a blank face which has a black back!

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »

austin

• Discourse Royalty
  • Mundus Vult Decipi

• YouTube:
I prefer a double backer  over a blank face. The first double backer I got was with my Dragon back deck.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 04:35:52 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
OK, so these are some of the uses for the double-backer (which frankly I hadn't yet figured out either).  Now what about tricks with the blank-faced card?
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 02:26:59 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
OK, so these are some of the uses for the double-backer (which frankly I hadn't yet figured out either).  Now what about tricks with the blank-faced card?
Put it on the front of a deck, do a fan in your right Han to make the deck look blank.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Or you can do a color change and change their card to a black card... or vice versa

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 02:52:01 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi
Blank faced cards are worth it!  I wish I could purchase a deck of them in some of the custom decks I have. 

Blank faced cards let you do This-That trick, which I think I way more fun when you have actual cards, but I've done it with Jokers and Aces.

I have a blank faced card that has my name and phone number on it.  It's actually a lot of fun.  You can do a ton of fun stuff with blank faced cards. 

If you don't want to write on the card, I've done a trick (twice) that yields fantastic results.  Force the Ace of Diamonds (or any card really, but a simple one), and then do a color change (I use classic change) to the blank card.  As you peel your empty hand off the blank card, perform Wayne Houchin's stigmata on yourself.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »

Reylek

• 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Discourse Lover
A fun thing to do with a blank facer is to put it on the face of your deck.  Do a reverse fan, it'll look like the entire deck is blank.  Give the deck a cut and fan it regularly, and it looks like all of the pips appear out of nowhere.  Nobody will notice the blank card in the middle of the fan.

One of the best things to do with a double-backer is to use it as part of an ambitious card routine.  Have the Double Backer on top of the deck.  Put a selection 2nd from top using the Tilt move.  Reveal the selection with a double-lift, and you can safely deal off the single selection, thanks to the double backer.  This can be repeated endlessly.  This is also known as the trick that fooled Houdini, and was created by Dai Vernon as far as I'm aware.
Kevin
Production Manager
www.penguinmagic.com

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 03:22:34 PM »

cosmicsecret

• Discourse Lover
  • Manipulator
Well a double backer is nice for different kinds of effects.
Like in a "all-backs routine" to hand out the double backer to a spectator (forcing it) and tell him to remember the card.
He will look at you with a "WTF?!?! impression on his face" you then look at your deck and realize that the deck has crashed.
You show,thanks to different sleights or moves,that the deck has no more face cards.
You ask the spectator to imagine this double back card has a face,which one would that be? 7 of spades?
After some mumbo jumbo all the cards having faces again and the spectators double backer is the named 7 of spades.

Just a quick effect you can do with a double backed card.I could go on and name some more but magicians will know how to use a double backed card.

A blank faced card is great to have too!
One of my opening effects with cards requires a blank face card for a reverse fan.
A laymen is not used to see a blank deck or even a single blank card.Keep that in mind!
I prefer having both a double backer and a blank face card instead of 2 of the same gaff card.

Edit :
You can easily make yourself blank face cards out of Aces and deuces.
Just take a bit of steel wool and rub/grind the pips and indexes of.Voilá you´ve got a blank face card :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 03:25:36 PM by cosmicsecret »
Currently waiting for those decks being released :
- Seasons [Primavera / Seronda]  / Aether [Vortex] / Bicycle [Actuators] / Mana [Oracle] / The Blue Crown - [Altruism] / Encarded [Tendril]

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
What they should do with the ad cards is include the two gaffs needed for 3 card monte.

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 04:05:39 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
What they should do with the ad cards is include the two gaffs needed for 3 card monte.

I prefer to use the toss to do that routine.  It's so much more clean and it's probably the most fun effect I know.

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 04:12:26 PM »

AceGambit

• Discourse Lover
  • mundus vult decepi

I was unaware they even made gaffs to do this "trick."  I don't do it often, but I've read through John Scarne's book on the matter, and I don't remember any mention of gaffs.
They say the greatest trick the devil ever pulled, was convincing the world that he didn't exist.

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 04:15:50 PM »

PoundFFFFFF

• Elite Member
I was unaware they even made gaffs to do this "trick."  I don't do it often, but I've read through John Scarne's book on the matter, and I don't remember any mention of gaffs.

Well the gaffless version is just picking up and tossing back and forth. The gaffed version will have your spectators tearing their hair out in disbelief, because it's so straightforward. If any gaff card produces as big an effect, it's the monte gaff. Go on youtube and search up either Bill Malone's three card monte or French Drop tube's visual monte. Or even Garrett Thomas's stand-up Monte, done with double facers.

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 06:02:36 PM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
The gaffless version isn't just picking tossing it back and forth; it's a really deceptive move you do and it's one that a lot of fun to practice.  It's also better than the gaffed version because everyone can see they're regular cards.

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 07:56:03 PM »

vmagic

Are you kidding? These gaff cards come in several decks as it is and I don't even use it. They also come in most gaff decks do they not?

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:04 AM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:

Are you kidding? These gaff cards come in several decks as it is and I don't even use it. They also come in most gaff decks do they not?

I know a few of the MagicMaker color decks come with them.  They opted with each deck to leave out jokers and ads to swap in gaffs color-matched to the deck.  There's more recent "reversed" versions of five of the six original decks - no purple reversed back deck yet.  Aside from the reverse-color deck back (color on white rather than white on color, meaning faces and backs have different colors) they're identical to the originals.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/