Gold Monarchs

Author (Read 51526 times)

Re: BIG NEWS from Theory 11 re: Monarchs
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2011, 04:37:17 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I think people get angry because they want one, but when the situation came like this.
They will have to pay a lot in order to have one.

« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2011, 05:50:15 AM »

xela

• Queen of Clubs
  • Aspire. Conceive. Create.

• DeviantArt:

• YouTube:
What did it for me is that they claimed the deck uses imported papers. The USPCC still to this day claims they do NOT offer anything outside of the paper choices we all already know. Like Dan & Dave and their "recycled paper", it seems Theory11 is banking off of the misnomer. What actually -is- imported is the tuck box paper.

I'd love to be proven wrong though, because that means we have a new stock choice on the market!
Forum Founder.

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2011, 07:21:14 AM »

LauR

• Elite Member
I think the reasoning for making the 111 decks "limited" is quite dodgy. Apparently the decks had some minor imperfections and because of their ultra crazy level of quality standard that prevents them from releasing imperfect items, TH11 destroyed all those decks except for the 144. This makes no sense at all, if the quality did not meet their standards why did they sell 111 of them, I'm sure people would be willing to wait an extra day for the pre-release to allow them to fix the quality. This looks to me to be a publicity stunt more than anything else.

« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2011, 08:49:51 AM »

Kanped

• Frequent Flyer

• Facebook:
I should point out that if I did manage to get one of these, I probably would have held it sealed and sold it in the new year for some obnoxiously inflated price.  Call it karma, if you like.

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 08:50:59 AM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
well it really sucks that i over slept :( I really wish I would have goten some.
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2011, 10:01:28 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Jonathan Bayme from T11 writes...

"Hey guys,

A situation arose this afternoon with the upcoming Monarch Playing Cards, and I wanted to take the time to explain EXACTLY what happened, what decisions we made, and what steps we took to fix the problem. I saw a few posts on Facebook tonight that accused theory11 of impropriety. A conspiracy! Nothing could be further from the truth. In reality, today represented our finest hour. Please allow me the opportunity to explain.

Earlier this past week, we allowed a limited pre-release of Monarchs. The pre-release decks were intended to be exactly the same as the primary edition. The only difference was they were to be received 2 weeks before the release. A sneak peek! They sold out in 90 seconds on Monday morning - limited to 111 decks. On Monday afternoon, the team at USPCC worked quickly to package 144 decks into a box. They even had to glue some of the tuck cases by hand with a hot glue gun. But they made it happen, and we are very thankful for their help.

Our team worked quickly to ship out those pre-release decks - the lucky 111. Late Wednesday evening, I was made aware that the metallic ink on the back of the Monarchs didn't print exactly the way we wanted it to. Metallic inks are VERY difficult to print consistently on a press as robust as USPCC. The inks contain little bits of REAL metal in them, so they are difficult to print and have strange properties. We've had issues with it many times before (Smoke and Mirrors v5, Bicycle Titanium Edition, Bee Titaniums, etc).

I woke up at 6:00am this morning and spoke with USPCC after demolishing a Starbucks Doubleshot. Thousands of decks were already printed, so it was a difficult situation to resolve. What do we do? Option A is to release decks that we KNOW aren't exactly what we wanted. Option B involved re-printing a lot of decks. A LOT of decks. We opted to re-print the decks. The entire run. And ALL of the original decks, minus those 144 handmade samples, will be destroyed. Yes, that's incredibly expensive. And yes, I might be crazy. But it was the only logical decision to make once we knew that those decks were not perfect, and it was a decision I made without much hesitation. We take quality very seriously - nothing matters more to us.

As a side effect, those lucky 111 got a deck that will never be seen or produced again. That was NOT our intention, and at no time was theory11 any less than 100% honest, transparent, forthright, and sincere. Yes, we originally told you that the pre-release decks would be the same - but that was our intention and never did we anticipate any last minute production issues. Luckily, with swift action and bold moves, we were able to resolve those concerns before 11/11.

Simply put, when dealing with a large production run, things can happen outside of our control. What matters most is what we do in response. What we do to fix it. In this case, the easiest fix would have been to just let it slide - but we refused to settle for anything less than perfect. So we made the decision to tweak the design and reprint the ENTIRE run.

What you will see on 11/11 will be perfect. And well worth the wait. In seven days, you'll see for yourself. They're incredible. "
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

Also, follow me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/BicyclePlayingCards

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2011, 10:43:03 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Well this didn't take long

Memito1985 posted 5 Gold Monarchs for sale on UC for $50 each.

http://www.unitedcardists.net/uc/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5164

They sold in 3 hours

CBJ

EDIT:
A buy it now one for $499  LOL - 2 available
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160676490376

Or you can bid on one
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160676489901&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:46:44 AM by CBJ »
  I was the featured collector on UC for May/June, check it out: http://bit.ly/UC_MyCollection

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
That's crazy!
No one will pay on $499
But at that bid, it might gone till $100.

Really crazy, people are buying the $50 deck even if they never saw what it's look like.

« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2011, 11:52:35 AM »

junjie04

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
That's crazy!
No one will pay on $499
But at that bid, it might gone till $100.

Really crazy, people are buying the $50 deck even if they never saw what it's look like.

HAHA, maybe the monarch deck is ugly... who knows:D

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2011, 02:20:45 PM »

John B.

• Don't you have work you should be doing? We are watching you.
  • Jack of Diamonds

• YouTube:
i would find it funny if the guy destroying them keeps a few for himself. :)
Do you guys even read this? Like I could have the meaning of life here and I doubt you would know it.

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
This really got under my skin but it's just another deck of cards at the end of the day.
UC

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 02:57:46 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Im confused. T11 said they are reprinting the entire run. Does that mean they are all gonna be gold?

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 02:59:36 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
Im confused. T11 said they are reprinting the entire run. Does that mean they are all gonna be gold?

No, I'm pretty sure they will be black. They are just reprinting all of the decks with a black ink so this doesn't happen again.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2011, 03:00:48 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
No, I'm pretty sure they will be black. They are just reprinting all of the decks with a black ink so this doesn't happen again.
Oh ok thanks! Just wasn't sure.

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2011, 03:02:07 PM »

loldudex2

• Jack of Diamonds
  • The original long haired boy.

• YouTube:
because the y said the original intention was to make them all gold, which most likely means they aren't now.
I LIKE MAILBOXES!

« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 03:59:13 PM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
Just to clarify something, the Gold deck has only a very minor difference, that being slight gold artwork, nothing huge, the whole back isn't gold. JB told me it's pretty much identical to the deck to released on 11/11, imagine the Vortex deck with the border line being gold, thats the best way I can compare it. JB said we'll see that the decks are pretty much exactly the same so I wouldn't be to bothered if you didn't manage to get any, afterall they weren't printed in limited quantity's say like the Red Artifice, they were printed in the thousands and many are going to be destroyed so it was never meant to be limited even though it is now. If it was an all gold back that would be a big difference but I'm pretty certain that's not the case.
UC

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »

phantom1412

• Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:

• Twitter:
I wanna see pics of those 2 version compared.
Guess I have to wait.
Anyone here who got it, please post the picture.

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »

dmbaggs

• Jack of Diamonds

• Twitter:

They aren't going to be black. They are going to be gold but without the metallic shimmer.
Most Recent Addition | White Lions | A. Bandit
Decks I Want | English Laundry | Bape x Bicycle Deck | Absolut Deck

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 10:31:01 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Only a small part of the back design is gold.

Re: *** UPDATE - Taking offers ***BIG NEWS from Theory 11 re: Monarchs
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
*** UPDATE - Taking offers ***

I was lucky enough to order 2 of the pre-release decks.  If I was ever going to part with one, I would have to do it before the official release on Nov 11.

So.. here it goes...

1 - mint pre-release Monarchs (gold edition) guaranteed in your hands before Nov 11.

Either put your offer in this thread, or pm me.
I've already been offered $100 for the deck (incl shipping to US), so please... only serious offers.

This is 1 of 144.  nothing else needs to be said.

CBJ
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 11:11:27 PM by CBJ »

« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2011, 02:39:36 AM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
Deck is gone. An offer I couldn't pass up.

Sorry to all the people that messaged me

CBJ

« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2011, 04:35:08 AM »

dee1orean

• Elite Member

• Facebook:
Rather than destroy these supposedly misprinted decks (read Marketing ploy) why not offer them at a reduced rate or even a buy one get a misprinted one half price offer?
People would buy them and theory11 would recoup some of it's supposed losses (if I'm honest I don't believe the rest of the run was even printed).
It would also devalue the pre released decks so resellers wouldn't be making huge profits.

Now having said that. if they'd been honest (I'm still assuming they are lying at this point and will do so until i see photographic or video evidence of the misprints being destroyed) after the pre-release sale they could have just announced something like, "Congratulations with your pre release deck you will recieved a goldplated M&M embedded through the centre of the deck making the deck totally useless but highly collectable!"
OK I know a gold plated M&M is a little rediculous but I'd still want to own one! but it could have been anything from an embossed box, a free porper clip or even, shock\horror gold metallic ink on the card backs.

I'm not disappointed that I didn't get any, but I am disappointed with Theory11 for using such a dubious marketing ploy....

I'm the Master of Nonsensical Sense and illogical Logic

« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2011, 05:03:17 AM »

VortexHead

• Discourse Veteran
It's not going to be very nice for the people who have spent alot to buy them without seeing them but it's going to ammusing if the difference is a slight as they have said it is. It's very risky buying them without knowing how they look, for all we know it could be the smallest detail that's been changed. The risk with scamming is also a big problem as some have already pointed out.
UC

« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2011, 12:13:18 PM »

Evan

• I AM EVAAAAN!
  • Ace of Spades

• Facebook:

• Twitter:

• YouTube:
Deck is gone. An offer I couldn't pass up.

Sorry to all the people that messaged me

CBJ
What was the offer?

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2011, 02:54:49 PM »

CBJ

• Former Moderator
  • 52 Plus Joker Member
  • Jack of Diamonds

• Facebook:
What was the offer?

I'd rather not say which decks right now.

But it was a trade, not cash, for an extremely rare unreleased set (1 of 50). I will post pictures when they are in my hands.

The trade also included some insider information, exclusive not-for-sale swag, and a pre-purchase reserve spot on a collector set that is coming down the pipe.

I stopped reading all other offers after this one.

CBJ