You are Here:
Creative guy from the Netherlands

Author (Read 633 times)

Creative guy from the Netherlands
« on: March 25, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »

Nova

• Newcomer
Hi all,
Just wanted to introduce myself. I am Nova from the Netherlands and general a creative guy / designer. I do 3d design at a professional level and graphic design as a hobbyist. I always wanted to write a comic book but it just seemed too much work so then I decided to customize a set of playing cards. And came on this forum and many other interesting forums.

I already saw some great work coming by. So my purpose is to post some of my own designs and hope for some professional  / knowledgable feedback. And I want to become a small collector, my budget and space however are limited so I will maintain a very strict selection in which decks I will support or purchase - I feel most attracted to design decks like for example the CMYK deck.

Below is an example of a deck I am workin on currently (please keep in mind this is more or less a hobby project, I do not intend to run a kickstarter or anything, at most produce 20 or 25 decks for some friends or something. (I mention this disclaimer because I think the work is not as pretty as some of the decks I saw in the design section).

It's a comic themed deck (all of my projects will), with Manga style. I am very curious to your comments.

If the project is worked out some more I will maybe create a seperate topic for it.

Best Regards,
Nova

Re: Creative guy from the Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 06:01:16 PM »

Don Boyer

• VP/Dir. Club Forum/DAC Chair, 52 Plus Joker
  • Administrator
  • Forum Sentinel
  • Pick a card, any card...no, not THAT card!

• Facebook:
I like the manga style to the artwork, but it's a little light on details and the monochrome color scheme doesn't do the artwork justice.  You will find that hardcore manga fans will find the Japanese numerals on the spot cards cute and appealing, but the less hardcore fan and the mainstream card user who simply finds your art appealing will be less turned-on by it, preferring actual pips.  Might I suggest that you use an index that has an "Arabic/English" numeral or letter for value on top, with a suit pip below that and a Japanese numeral below that.  This way you still have the Japanese element you're looking for while at the same time appealing to a broader audience.
Card Illusionist, NYC Area
Playing Card Design & Development Consultant
Deck Tailoring: Custom Alterations for Magicians and Card Mechanics
Services for Hire - http://thedecktailor.com/
Pre-Made Decks for Sale - http://donboyermagic.com/